InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

There's just something about those 'In The Shed'- grown plants..😍

Do you only have access to your plants once a week? Are your plants in veg or flower?
I have access once a week, occasionally twice a week. All plants are now in flower time, some way ahead of others.
I water when my plants are light based on lifting or tipping the pot, though I don't let them get as light in flower as I do in veg because I don't want the plant looking for water when it's supposed to be building flowers.

And the drought timeframe to create the stress response (according to Caplan's research cited above) is long enough to produce a 50 percent change in leaf wilt angle, measured from the stem to the leaf/petiole connection. It's done toward the end of flower (usually with at least a week to go). Caplan's took 11 days to droop that much, but those were his plants in his pots in his medium in his indoor environment, Our mileage varies greatly!
I am not familiar with Caplan’s work, so depending on pot size one can assume evaporation + plant uptake of water can be faster? I have small pots for the clones, the moms have 30gal pots.
@Stunger did an outdoor drought on his last balcony grow, maybe he has some insight?
This should be near where he starts it in his journal.
Thanks Mel 🙏🏻 I’m just looking at a avg timeframe people that have already tried saw results. 7 days without watering already sounds like a lot, enough to make drastic changes.
Thanks Melville! He did, but with a completely different technique from Caplan, and of course we have no data on it. The further we get from Caplan's research the further we may be from his results. Only clones and testing will create something besides anecdotes. Anecdotes are great when stated as such, but unfortunately they're often presented as fact.

Also @danishoes21, since you're outside in the ground, all bets are off with how much water your plants need or what droughting they can handle!
I have several plants from same mothers but slightly different setup, I have around 9 clones 5 of them are in pots and the pots have different sizes, I also have 4 same clones in the ground. All have been watered heavy (6 gals divided equally) once a week for the past month at least, during August we had several weeks with out any rain and high temperatures and very low RH, the 6day “drought” effect has been on going. I have stress them as much as possible without killing them. I guess I’m wanting to know if droughting only count for the last week of flowering or is it something that can be done all thru flowering.

August drought
FD7D271B-D03E-40D1-A087-E8F664972BB3.jpeg

6DAF769A-5CA9-49BE-B3A4-88B29610CFEB.jpeg

Today
D7E10258-04FF-41E9-8A58-852EE46E39C4.jpeg

May I add this became a breeding experiment since one of them is a male.

:Namaste:

Wow. Those look great Shed. Can smell them from here
Thanks Lerugged! If you smell some really sweet fruit, that's the Purple Urkle. 👃
There's just something about those 'In The Shed'- grown plants..
Sure is something, just not sure what!
I am not familiar with Caplan’s work, so depending on pot size one can assume evaporation + plant uptake of water can be faster? I have small pots for the clones, the moms have 30gal pots.
Here is the link. It's not all that long for a research paper:
I guess I’m wanting to know if droughting only count for the last week of flowering or is it something that can be done all thru flowering.
Since the only actual science we have is Caplan's methodology, that's all we really know for certain. I don't think that depriving a plant of water while it's trying to produce flowers would be helpful in increasing THC, as it hasn't even created much in the way of trichomes yet. Seems to me that the reason for the late drought is that everything is already in place development-wise to allow the plant to focus on the protective response of increasing THCa. Pure conjecture on my part though, and what you did was all you could do for your plants.

Here is the link. It's not all that long for a research paper:

Since the only actual science we have is Caplan's methodology, that's all we really know for certain. I don't think that depriving a plant of water while it's trying to produce flowers would be helpful in increasing THC, as it hasn't even created much in the way of trichomes yet. Seems to me that the reason for the late drought is that everything is already in place development-wise to allow the plant to focus on the protective response of increasing THCa. Pure conjecture on my part though, and what you did was all you could do for your plants.

Thanks on the paper I am already on it reading.
The Flowr company I know the company from the Canadian stock market, Im surprised to read Caplan worked with them at the time of this research.

It’s said controlled water stress does not affect yield but it doesn’t add specifics.

“Drought Stress
Let your plants wilt slightly in late flower especially around week 7 to increase cannabinoids and terpenoids. You might worry that cutting back on the water would limit your plant’s growth, But Dr. Caplan found that a little water stress during the flowering stage doesn’t affect your overall yield when you harvest. Water stress also goes by drought stress and is a slight water deprivation that can improve overall potency of cannabis buds. Do not let your plants dry out and die though! There is a difference between allowing the substrate to dry out and letting the plant dry out. Each strain will deal with different levels of drought stress differently.”

It’s hard to replicate Caplans exact experiment but it’s good to know that there is a measurable increase of canabinoides and terpenes.

The Flowr company I know the company from the Canadian stock market, Im surprised to read Caplan worked with them at the time of this research.

It’s said controlled water stress does not affect yield but it doesn’t add specifics.

“Drought Stress
Let your plants wilt slightly in late flower especially around week 7 to increase cannabinoids and terpenoids. You might worry that cutting back on the water would limit your plant’s growth, But Dr. Caplan found that a little water stress during the flowering stage doesn’t affect your overall yield when you harvest. Water stress also goes by drought stress and is a slight water deprivation that can improve overall potency of cannabis buds. Do not let your plants dry out and die though! There is a difference between allowing the substrate to dry out and letting the plant dry out. Each strain will deal with different levels of drought stress differently.”

It’s hard to replicate Caplans exact experiment but it’s good to know that there is a measurable increase of canabinoides and terpenes.
I can’t wait to see yer smoke report it will be interesting to see how much of a difference that it has. Happy growing CL🍀

We're all in agreement that during the last few weeks the buds do a final swell and put on weight.
It would seem like that's the time where they need water the most.
I'm not saying droughting doesn't work, I know it does.
But it's a bit contrary to the above given most strains finish in 8-9 weeks.
Perhaps we're trading a bit of weight for THC production? JM2C.
Sorry for just barging in, Shed lol. Back to lurking in the shadows. 👻

“Drought Stress

Dani, I found this before we started looking at Kaplans work. At 1:52 the twins get to talking drought. Lose the () after you copy and paste. Just something to add to the party.
(https)://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaoUrx0ZSTY

Dani, I found this before we started looking at Kaplans work. At 1:52 the twins get to talking drought. Lose the () after you copy and paste. Just something to add to the party.
(https)://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaoUrx0ZSTY

Just saw that, so they do it right before chopping 3-4 days with minimal water. Interesting. It seems very experimental listening from them, Caplans work is a little more detailed but feel they still holding on information.

Seems like most of the information doesn’t say how long does it take for a trichome head to fully develop and swell to eventually burst. It makes sense to do it a week before harvest so the risk of losing the whole crop to drought is very minimal.

Thank you for sharing Stone

Looking beautiful Shed! A few of those pics up close were spectacularly gorgeous:yummy:

Question for you and everyone.

I'm looking for the best recipe for a topical salve, specifically to help with extremely severe Arthritis (for a family member). Poor guy's hands swell up like no tomorrow. If anyone has a good one, that they can vouch helps, I'd be grateful.
Thanks!

They might be being cagey on the subject since Caplan may not have wanted the info out there before he published? And his findings really are not "a little water stress" so I'm not sure they even read the paper. :)
I can tell you one thing, they all look different already. I can’t wait to smoke them all and see differences or not lol
One thing you will find out is that you won't know anything about the difference drought stress makes. ;) That's the anecdote part, and plants from seed (even from the same pack) can be very different.
We're all in agreement that during the last few weeks the buds do a final swell and put on weight. It would seem like that's the time where they need water the most.
But it's a bit contrary to the above given most strains finish in 8-9 weeks. Perhaps we're trading a bit of weight for THC production? JM2C.
His finding was that there was no statistical difference in harvest weight from control to droughted.
Sorry for just barging in, Shed lol. Back to lurking in the shadows.
Anytime Regrowth, post away!
Looking beautiful Shed! A few of those pics up close were spectacularly gorgeous
Thanks Rex. :)
I'm looking for the best recipe for a topical, specifically to help with extremely severe Arthritis (for a family member). Poor guy's hands swell up like no tomorrow. If anyone has a good one, that they can vouch helps, I'd be grateful.
Thanks!
I can help there as I used to make loads of topical pain meds. Here's what I can tell you:

CBD and THC are not absorbed into the bloodstream using our standard oil-making methods.

Because of that, pain deep inside a muscle (like hip arthritis) won't be touched by topical oils. Of course massage always feels nice!

Best place for topical oils are hands (like your fam), toes, elbows, and other place just below the skin.

The other best place for them is the spot where your spine meets your cervical vertabrae, called the Medial Dorsal Rami (MDR) explained in my post here. From a video on the Green Flower Network, that is an area where the never ending move from the spine to the neck and are close to the skin. Additionally, it's an area where those nerve connections are unmyelinated, meaning they don't have a covering on them and may be more susceptible to the effects of the oil.

Applying oil to the MDR can deaden pain signals from anywhere below that spot.

The most effective strength for oil is at least 15mg/ml (calculated roughly using OldBear's spreadsheet...PM me for a link and instructions), and in my house it seems to work best when applied 10 minutes after a CBD topical at similar strength.

Variety doesn't seem to matter, only cannabinoid content, though I haven't seen any research on what role terpenes might play in topicals.

In terms of the oil to use, don't use coconut or olive for pain topicals as they sit on top of the skin and don't allow the cannabinoids to penetrate at all. Use something easily absorbed like grapeseed. And ideally, just use flowers and oil with no additives like shea butter, waxes, etc. as those will also tend to keep the oil above the skin.

If the smell is a problem, essential oils can help with that.

Let me know if you need instructions on how to actually do the infusing if you don't have a Magical Butter machine.

In terms of inflammation generally, CBD oil taken internally will begin to decrease inflammation after about two weeks. My wife takes Candida capsules 3x/day for a total of 30mg CBD for the arthritis in her big toes.

[Note: all flowers are decarbed before making oil for internal or external use]

They might be being cagey on the subject since Caplan may not have wanted the info out there before he published? And his findings really are not "a little water stress" so I'm not sure they even read the paper. :)

One thing you will find out is that you won't know anything about the difference drought stress makes. ;) That's the anecdote part, and plants from seed (even from the same pack) can be very different.

His finding was that there was no statistical difference in harvest weight from control to droughted.

Anytime Regrowth, post away!

Thanks Rex. :)

I can help there as I used to make loads of topical pain meds. Here's what I can tell you:

CBD and THC are not absorbed into the bloodstream using our standard oil-making methods.

Because of that, pain deep inside a muscle (like hip arthritis) won't be touched by topical oils. Of course massage always feels nice!

Best place for topical oils are hands (like your fam), toes, elbows, and other place just below the skin.

The other best place for them is the spot where your spine meets your cervical vertabrae, called the Medial Dorsal Rami (MDR) explained in my post here. From a video on the Green Flower Network, that is an area where the never ending move from the spine to the neck and are close to the skin. Additionally, it's an area where those nerve connections are unmyelinated, meaning they don't have a covering on them and may be more susceptible to the effects of the oil.

The most effective strength for oil is at least 15mg/ml (calculated roughly using OldBear's spreadsheet...PM me for a link and instructions), and in my house it seems to work best when applied 10 minutes after a CBD topical at similar strength.

Variety doesn't seem to matter, only cannabinoid content, though I haven't seen any research on what role terpenes might play in topicals.

In terms of the oil to use, don't use coconut or olive for pain topicals as they sit on top of the skin and don't allow the cannabinoids to penetrate at all. Use something easily absorbed like grapeseed. And ideally, just use flowers and oil with no additives like shea butter, waxes, etc. as those will also tend to keep the oil above the skin.

Let me know if you need instructions on how to actually do the infusing if you don't have a Magical Butter machine.

In terms of inflammation generally, CBD oil taken internally will begin to decrease inflammation after about two weeks. My wife takes Candida capsules 3x/day for a total of 30mg CBD for the arthritis in her big toes.
Wow, your really up on that. Cool 😊

Thank you very much :love:

Looking beautiful Shed! A few of those pics up close were spectacularly gorgeous:yummy:

Question for you and everyone.

I'm looking for the best recipe for a topical salve, specifically to help with extremely severe Arthritis (for a family member). Poor guy's hands swell up like no tomorrow. If anyone has a good one, that they can vouch helps, I'd be grateful.
Thanks!

:bravo: This is all very good information and I didn't even know about some of it. Thanks for sharing, Shed.

@Rexer - You can check out Magnus' Topical Thread too for more in-depth information.

they look too light coloured, could it be a nitrogen deficency? mine has same issue

I'm there with you, I got several there with deficiency and/or nutrient lock out, they probably have root bound stress and drought stress too. They are somewhat neglected intentionally as I am trying different things in terms of phenotype structure and hoping to make some seeds now that I have a male.

Monday update, leading off with some trichome shots from Friday just for fun!

Both plants were on flip day 59 then, and here is the Trainwreck from @Weed Seeds Express:

And dig the purple trichome stems in the next two pics...never had that before!

Here is the Purple Urkle:

Zooming out a bit, there seem to be quite a few spotless ladybugs on the plants noshing on the aphids I haven't sprayed for, though mostly on the Purple Urkle (btw the brown and burned leaves on the plants are from the heat wave we had in the beginning of September - no cause for alarm):

One is on the Trainwreck though:

Speaking of the Trainwreck, remember I mentioned that it had supercropped itself from the weight of the tops? Here are pics of the bends (pardon the blur on the second one):

It's been a while since I pointed this out, but here's a good way to see if your browning leaves might be budrot. This isn't:

How do we know? The leaves are brown from the tips in and not the inside out:

Both plants have slowed down their water intake but still not ready to come down. I'd say one will get the chop this weekend, though I'm not sure which yet. :hmmmm:

I hope you had a great first fall weekend and your preferred football team came away with an moral victory if not an actual one!

Stay safe out there, and a happy new year to those who celebrate. :peace:

Quotes:
are you topping on the seventh node or what?! they look wonderful!
Thanks mumps! I usually top above the 8th node, and both of these were. And if you're trying to count from the bottom up, the first two nodes have been removed and maybe even the third. The lower nodes make the plant too wide to fit through door every morning/night.
hoping to make some seeds now that I have a male.
Free seeds are a great bonus. :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom