InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

If you don't mind me asking, do you guys and gals have a preventative schedule? For instance, do you spray Castille soap, then wait say 7-10 days and then spray Spinosad; then wait another 7-10 days or so and spray Neem oil? Inquiring newbies want to know. If I remember correctly from reading one of your posts Shed, you do not for instance, ever spray any type of oily substance (like Neem oil) once flowering starts.

If you don't mind me asking, do you guys and gals have a preventative schedule? For instance, do you spray Castille soap, then wait say 7-10 days and then spray Spinosad; then wait another 7-10 days or so and spray Neem oil? Inquiring newbies want to know. If I remember correctly from reading one of your posts Shed, you do not for instance, ever spray any type of oily substance (like Neem oil) once flowering starts.
I don't usually do preventative sprays for bugs. I sprays 'em when I sees 'em.

I never spray anything with oil in it once I get pistils, so that eliminates neem and the horticultural sprays like rosemary etc. So in flower it's usually castille or spinosad. Castille for everything except caterpillars, and if I see those then it's BT or spinosad. Since I have more spinosad (and that takes care of most of my bugs), that's what I use. Spinosad should only be used 6x per plant, so I wait at least a week between sprays. BT is just for caterpillars.

In veg it's usually iso/water spray or neem, and that would be every other day if I see bugs. Same with castille in flower. Works on contact, rather than longer like spinosad.

Thanks Shed! I'll try to keep all that in mind. Better yet, I'll bookmark this, 'cause there ain't no way I'm gonna remember all that. :)
Lol, I was just debating saving it, just in case I ever get to grow outdoors. #knowledgebomb

Shed, is that "ISO/Water" Isopropyl Alcohol and Water?
Yes! It's 70% isopropyl alcohol mixed 1:9 with water in a spray bottle.
EDIT: I found this at Home Depot 'Monterey ~ Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad.' Is that what you're recommending?
Yup! That's my spinsosad exactly. I think I mix mine 1.5 Tbsp to 48 ounces of water based on the size of my mini-pump sprayer, but it's whatever they say the dilution rate is on the bottle.

Monday update and I've got a few pictures to share. On the plus side, every picture tells a story don't it?

Let's begin with the final weight on the CBD Lemon Potion Auto:

That's 13 grams and I didn't do any trimming, as there wasn't enough to make it worthwhile. Grow it again? We'll see how the smoke report goes. It won't be for a while if I decide to do it again.

Next up, let's take a gander at the DTF, which I thinned this weekend. Starting with the before and after pic:

After the after pic, I went and tied the outside branches down further to keep that middle growth strong. You can see all the middle growth here, in the "sauga-view"...

@Alafornia was curious about topping, so I wanted to mention that this was topped above the 7th node and then I kept the top branches spread wide, to let the lowers to catch up and promote the inner growth as well. When you keep the top branches tide down, the plant realizes it needs to create a new apical stem, so it sends growth hormones to other branches in an attempt to reach for the sky. Keeping the top growth bent down will promote that new growth. Bend slowly over a few days so as not to split the trunk or break any branches.

How tall you let it go before topping and training this way will depend on how long you want to veg and nothing else. Once you top, you need to have time to let all the other growth happen before you flip. A short veg time will necessitate a lower topping, while if I had a longer time to veg I could have let it grow even taller before topping.

While I had my face in there during the trim, I discovered that the stem had split, because I didn't know about the @Heavenly Hybrid double H topping method, where you leave a half inch of stem above the node to prevent this very thing:

I taped it up, not because I think the plant needs it now, but to prevent it from splitting further once the branches get heavy with buds:

Let's move on to the next plant getting thinned, the IIP:

I know it's tough to see in there with the sunlight and the green background, but I took off a lot of skinny branches.

On both of these plants, I took @Graytail's advice and left on a lot of the leaves while removing the adjoining shoots. As long as I had good airflow, I didn't strip all the greenery. Nothing wrong with a future source of carbs!

I got a cup of monstercrop cuttings from each that I will try to root in order to complicate my life further.

Speaking of skinny stems, @Archiweedies had asked about the AK-47 having such skinny branches and would it support the buds in flower:

Yes.

And last for the day (if you're still with me...) the Candidas. As promised, here is the 5 gallon with the tomato cage/canopy ring yesterday. It needs water every single day. Remind me not to use 5 gallon pots for full-sized plants:

40" tall from the soil this is :eek: .

And the other in a 7 gallon pot:

These are flip day 10, so I'll be thinning them at the end of stretch.

In a housekeeping note, I did a preventative spray of the Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide on the big three yesterday afternoon. Please don't put your face in the flowers even after it's dry. It burns! I'm going to need a balaclava to move the BC 2.2 now.

That's it for my weekend! I hope yours went well :cool: .

Monday update and I've got a few pictures to share. On the plus side, every picture tells a story don't it?

Let's begin with the final weight on the CBD Lemon Potion Auto:

That's 13 grams and I didn't do any trimming, as there wasn't enough to make it worthwhile. Grow it again? We'll see how the smoke report goes. It won't be for a while if I decide to do it again.

Next up, let's take a gander at the DTF, which I thinned this weekend. Starting with the before and after pic:

After the after pic, I went and tied the outside branches down further to keep that middle growth strong. You can see all the middle growth here, in the "sauga-view"...

@Alafornia was curious about topping, so I wanted to mention that this was topped above the 7th node and then I kept the top branches spread wide, to let the lowers to catch up and promote the inner growth as well. When you keep the top branches tide down, the plant realizes it needs to create a new apical stem, so it sends growth hormones to other branches in an attempt to reach for the sky. Keeping the top growth bent down will promote that new growth. Bend slowly over a few days so as not to split the trunk or break any branches.

How tall you let it go before topping and training this way will depend on how long you want to veg and nothing else. Once you top, you need to have time to let all the other growth happen before you flip. A short veg time will necessitate a lower topping, while if I had a longer time to veg I could have let it grow even taller before topping.

While I had my face in there during the trim, I discovered that the stem had split, because I didn't know about the @Heavenly Hybrid double H topping method, where you leave a half inch of stem above the node to prevent this very thing:

I taped it up, not because I think the plant needs it now, but to prevent it from splitting further once the branches get heavy with buds:

Let's move on to the next plant getting thinned, the IIP:

I know it's tough to see in there with the sunlight and the green background, but I took off a lot of skinny branches.

On both of these plants, I took @Graytail's advice and left on a lot of the leaves while removing the adjoining shoots. As long as I had good airflow, I didn't strip all the greenery. Nothing wrong with a future source of carbs!

I got a cup of monstercrop cuttings from each that I will try to root in order to complicate my life further.

Speaking of skinny stems, @Archiweedies had asked about the AK-47 having such skinny branches and would it support the buds in flower:

Yes.

And last for the day (if you're still with me...) the Candidas. As promised, here is the 5 gallon with the tomato cage/canopy ring yesterday. It needs water every single day. Remind me not to use 5 gallon pots for full-sized plants:

40" tall from the soil this is :eek: .

And the other in a 7 gallon pot:

These are flip day 10, so I'll be thinning them at the end of stretch.

In a housekeeping note, I did a preventative spray of the Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide on the big three yesterday afternoon. Please don't put your face in the flowers even after it's dry. It burns! I'm going to need a balaclava to move the BC 2.2 now.

That's it for my weekend! I hope yours went well :cool: .

Awesome update Shed and nice defoliation work as always! Your ladies are all looking fantastic beautiful strong and healthy!!

Magnificent my friend! I hope your well and enjoying the day!

Excellent update today, Shed. :)
Remind me not to use 5 gallon pots for full-sized plants:
Those candidas look great - especially considering the smallish sized pots!
I discovered that the stem had split, because I didn't know about the @Heavenly Hybrid double H topping method, where you leave a half inch of stem above the node to prevent this very thing:
Same thing here! Just a couple weeks after reading HH's caution on topping too close, my White Widow split just like yours did. Had to tape it up just like you did. LOL

We'll see how the smoke report goes.
We're actually really enjoying the smoke of our Lemon Potion. Relaxing, good mood, mellow kinda high that doesn't stop you from getting stuff done during the day.

Awesome update Shed and nice defoliation work as always! Your ladies are all looking fantastic beautiful strong and healthy!!
Magnificent my friend! I hope your well and enjoying the day!
Thanks Dutch! So far so good for Monday :p.
Way to patch'em up Shed!!!
Seems only fair since it's my fault it split. It goes pretty far down so I'm glad I spotted it before all the huge heavy buds grow on those stems...
you’ll look like a canna burglar on your own property!
Looking great Shed, and HUGE! Schlep! Schlep! Don’t break your back! Nice work on the trimming
I'm really lucky no one sees all the schlepping I do, they'd think I was nuts. No back breaking here, just a bit of stress on the hernia :(. Every time I think "these are the biggest plants I've grown so far," the next ones are bigger o_O .

Thanks Amy!
Excellent update today, Shed.
Those candidas look great - especially considering the smallish sized pots!
Same thing here! Just a couple weeks after reading HH's caution on topping too close, my White Widow split just like yours did. Had to tape it up just like you did. LOL
We're actually really enjoying the smoke of our Lemon Potion. Relaxing, good mood, mellow kinda high that doesn't stop you from getting stuff done during the day.
That sounds like a good LPa smoke report to me...thanks BL! And I'm going to keep checking the tape every weekend in case it starts to bind. I don't want to restrict the main pathway to the flowers.
Gorgeous Shed.
Thanks otter!

You can see all the middle growth here, in the "sauga-view"...
And lot's of it.... :)
@Heavenly Hybrid double H topping method, where you leave a half inch of stem above the node to prevent this very thing
I always leave around the same amount as what HH does, but never knew if I didn't this could happen. Just the way I topped them. I'll make sure others are aware of it when they top as well. Nice one HH!
I hope the LP works for you :green_heart:

And lot's of it.... :)
I always leave around the same amount as what HH does, but never knew if I didn't this could happen. Just the way I topped them. I'll make sure others are aware of it when they top as well. Nice one HH!
I hope the LP works for you
That DTF topping and training timing worked out perfectly in terms of size, all by happy accident. It's the only plant I don't mind carrying around when it's wet and I know it will fit wherever I want to keep it at night come Sept. 21st. When I put it next to the IIP, AK, and Sour G, it feels inferior. But I remind it that good things come in small packages and it seems much improved!

We'll know on the LPa in a month or so. Still burping it for the rest of the week.

I bought a clear tarp, a 4x6, so when I know rain is in the forecast I just put the plants under it. When the sun comes out and I'm at work the plants get all the rays they can. It's a bit diffused as the plastic isn't totally clear but works well for me. The great thing is I use the ratchet hooks that I use in the tent and it's quick and easy to set up and take down.

:rofl: you’ll look like a canna burglar on your own property! :laughtwo:

Looking great Shed, and HUGE! Schlep! Schlep! Don’t break your back! Nice work on the trimming :)

I have a fraternity brother his name is 'Schleprock.' He was always carrying stones... Another one is 'Fungloads,' he always had the dank back in those days!

I bought a clear tarp, a 4x6, so when I know rain is in the forecast I just put the plants under it. When the sun comes out and I'm at work the plants get all the rays they can. It's a bit diffused as the plastic isn't totally clear but works well for me. The great thing is I use the ratchet hooks that I use in the tent and it's quick and easy to set up and take down.
Rain? Oh yeah, that thing I don't have to think about until the end of November :). I don't think the sun hits my backyard in the winter anywhere I could set that up without being served with divorce papers, but I'll take a look in late fall. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom