InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Just a reminder update to all the outside growers who deal with the dreaded caterpillars (@BeezLuiz @StoneOtter and any others), that it's time to break out the BT spray to get ahead of the issue and kill 'em when they're small.

I found this on the CapJunky this morning:

That's in addition to two smaller ones I squished yesterday.

I filled up a regular spray bottle with 32oz of water and added 1tsp of BT (which I hope hasn't expired) and soaked both plants top and bottom. The reason to mix small batches is because it needs to be used within 24 hours after dilution.

It recommends every 3-5 days so I'll put that on the schedule as well as the neem for the aphids. Interestingly enough, even though the plants are side by side in the tent all night, the PGC has no bugs at all on it.

Forewarned is forearmed! 🚫 🐛

Just a reminder update to all the outside growers who deal with the dreaded caterpillars (@BeezLuiz @StoneOtter and any others), that it's time to break out the BT spray to get ahead of the issue and kill 'em when they're small.

I filled up a regular spray bottle with 32oz of water and added 1tsp of BT (which I hope hasn't expired) and soaked both plants top and bottom. The reason to mix small batches is because it needs to be used within 24 hours after dilution.

It recommends every 3-5 days so I'll put that on the schedule as well as the neem for the aphids. Interestingly enough, even though the plants are side by side in the tent all night, the PGC has no bugs at all on it.

What is this BT you speak of Mr Shed?

While we wait for @Carcass to post his harvest pics, I'm going to get a Monday update in on the Purple Ghost Candy from @SeedsMan!

Here it is on day 69:

And it's hard to see from that angle but the tallest two branches are actually the second lowest node, one of the two I pulled together to help them reach the top. You can see them better in the frontal pic:

This plant is about a week from flip, and I'm still pulling small branches that are trying to grow from the lower node branches:

I'm also still keeping the top nodes flat:

But I have let the top nodes keep their lower growth to help fill in the middle of the plant. And the inner growth on the top node had gotten so tall I decided to flatten those yesterday:

I hung binder clips from short pipe cleaners (reused StankClips) or opened paper clips to keep those four from being apical. You can see one of the binder clips down below the foliage on the top circle.

And speaking of foliage, you may have noticed that I didn't lollipop this plant. I decided to let it keep all its fans while I took all the branching since I tend to lose a lot of lowers in flower. I'm hoping that leaving the leaves will give me a bigger cushion as they start to get used up.

Pretty much a waiting game for the next week, and then it's time to send this baby into flower and see what kind of stretch I get compared to the rest of the PGC growers here. Speaking of whom, big thanks to Seedsman for letting me be a late entry into the comparative!

I hope you all had great weekends, and that your plans for July 4th are to either celebrate US independence, vote in the UK elections, or watch all the fireworks (literal and political) from wherever you are. 🎆

The rest of the news continues below...
That's an outstanding PGC Shed! So healthy looking!

WooHoo!

That is a relief! I saw a teeny tiny one yesterday. I thought it was a caterpillar, but in the back of my mind was a little worried it a was a larvae of something dreaded worse than that!

Phew!

That's an outstanding PGC Shed! So healthy looking!
Thank you Otter, so far so good!
Thanks for the heads up! Those little B's irritate me!
:thumb:
That is a relief! I saw a teeny tiny one yesterday. I thought it was a caterpillar, but in the back of my mind was a little worried it a was a larvae of something dreaded worse than that! Phew!
Caterpillars are the worst in my book because they're the only bug I get that will actually destroy your flowers (with bud rot). You would need to completely ignore an infestation of aphids or thrips to take down a plant, but 10 caterpillars can decimate a harvest.

Just make sure it isn't a hoverfly larva.
They eat aphids, and come in a lot of different colours.

Not on my plants you don't! :rip:

Once it's a hoverfly it stays, but not being an entomologist anything living on my leaves is fair game, even Tim's reincarnation. :) Tell 'em to lay their eggs almost anywhere else since only the cannabis gets checked and BT'd!
Lol, I was referring to the squishing!
BT won't affect them at all based in what I saw a few years back. They just eat insects.

I'm going to make sure to measure the heights when I flip (for @BeezLuiz' spreadsheet ;) ) as I'm really curious whether these two, which seem to be raising the roof for some others here with roofs, will behave the same way outdoors.
Ready when you are!

Thanks for the heads up, so far i've seen none with my eyes but there out there somewhere.

Happy Independence Day to all my American cousins, happy election day to the UK brethren, and a happy 4th of July to all!

🎆 🎇 🎆 🎇 🎆 🇺🇸 🇬🇧 🌏

Ready when you are!
Won't be long now. :thanks:
Thanks for the heads up, so far i've seen none with my eyes but there out there somewhere.
They're definitely out in force in my backyard!
Id like to add to Sheds comment about BT or any other type of bug spray or fungicide with living organisms the shelf life is about a year on these products before its no good,so read the label to be sure you use it before the shelf life expires as so its not ineffective
I read 2-3 years but I might even be over that. Oddly enough my bottle doesn't have a manufacture or expiration date. But a new bottle is in the Amazon cart so I'll have a fresh batch for the rest of the season. :thumb:
Happy Independence Day Shed and Family ! Thanks for letting me hang out !
Thanks sb, and it's always a pleasure to have you around!

A belated happy 4th Shed and friends. I hope your nation finds a clear path in these turbulent times.

Back
Top Bottom