InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Well it's been a while. :ciao:

I haven't had the time focus to put together a new skin salve pictorial but I'll do that in the next couple of days. I did root prune the Candida mother plant on Sunday to try to get it a bit healthier (and try to give my cuttings a better chance at rooting), so here's that update!

This is what it looks like these days (I did thin it a lot when I took the last cuttings):

I read the label and it was cut off the last mother in December, and it's been in this pot since April. :eek:

And here are the roots, all collected at the bottom of the pot:

Off they go with my handy dandy box saw:

After I cut the bottom off I square the sides:

And here it is surrounded by fresh soil:

I had it in the shade yesterday and today it's in the house staying warm. So far it hasn't flinched! We'll see. :)

Thanks for stopping by. :peace:

Quote:
So far 17 clones took off and another10 in the cloner from this morning trim and a candy kush for me another mother .
You sure can get a shit ton of clones off those plants when you thin!

I haven't had the time focus to put together a new skin salve pictorial but I'll do that in the next couple of days. I did root prune the Candida mother plant on Sunday to try to get it a bit healthier (and try to give my cuttings a better chance at rooting), so here's that update!

This is what it looks like these days (I did thin it a lot when I took the last cuttings):

I read the label and it was cut off the last mother in December, and it's been in this pot since April. :eek:

I had it in the shade yesterday and today it's in the house staying warm. So far it hasn't flinched! We'll see. :)

Quote:

There would have another 20 clones to go with them but the rest looked like eggs of the mites underneath, so they left on the trash truck . I scoped them before I put them in the cloner safety first , damn made me feel like I was back at work . I even plucked more fans that had them eggs on them I don't need no more vengeance from them and Castle Soap drench at lights out .

Quote:

Never seen that done before…interesting

Never seen that done before…interesting
Pretty sure I originally found it here:

I've done it many times with 1 gallon pots, and so far so good! :dude-knocking:

There would have another 20 clones to go with them but the rest looked like eggs of the mites underneath, so they left on the trash truck . I scoped them before I put them in the cloner safety first , damn made me feel like I was back at work . I even plucked more fans that had them eggs on them I don't need no more vengeance from them and Castle Soap drench at lights out .
Good idea to check them after that infestation! I think you'll be fine with all the ones you've got in the cloner. :)

Okay, it's time for a new Skin Salve Update!

What's skin salve used for? It's excellent for insect bites, hives, itching, burns, and abrasions. I don't use it on open wounds because it's not sterile.

Who discovered that it could be helpful? @SweetSue found information in Roger Pertwee’s Handbook of Cannabis that quoted historical documents where the hemp plant in oil is recommended for burns. The information dates back to the 1600s, so we're standing on the shoulders of many many generations of growers.

How does it differ from pain oil? Pain oil is made from the flowers and the goal is to make it high in THC (or CBD). Skin salve is made from the rest of the plant (fans, branches, and roots) and the THC content is irrelevant. As I trim and harvest I save and completely dry the remnants so as not to add water to the mix.

For those of you who haven't see my original salve post, it's here, but that one was made with coconut oil and uses bees wax as a hardener. Using coconut oil as a carrier creates issues in warmer weather (it melts), and adding enough wax to maintain its solidity makes the salve less effective through dilution.

For this round I decided to use sweet almond oil. @Amy Gardner often touted the benefits of almond oil for the skin, and it seemed that going with a liquid in a roller-ball container would be an improvement over the coconut/wax combo in a twist-or-push-up tube. I realize that this is no longer a "salve" but I'm sticking with my original terminology!

NB: all cooking is done with the lid on. It's off only during stirring and posing for pictures. :)

And there will be a lot of pictures here because I really wanted to lay out every step, so let's begin with the basics. I used three 16 ounce bottles of Now brand sweet almond oil (from Amazon) and a small crock pot that I tried to keep around 180ºF throughout the whole process:

And here is the first box of dried plant bits I pulled out of the garage:

This has a combination of leaves and branches, and I grabbed some roots later.

I poured the 3 bottles into the pot and began adding the plant matter:

I pushed all that under the oil with a slotted spoon, which left me room to start cutting up dried branches and adding them to the mix:

After mashing that all down, I put the lid on and set the crock pot on Low:

While that was heating up I went back and cut some more branches:

Added that to the stew:

And pushed it all under the oil:

My crock pot needs a bit of attention since its settings are "Keep warm," "Low," and "High." Warm was about 150º and Low was over 200º, so I would switch between them when I was home and leave it on Warm overnight or when no one was going to be home to alternate the settings.

After cooking overnight it looked like this:

which left me room for more, so I went and grabbed some roots from the 5 Killer Cookies:

I pushed that all under and let it cook down for a while:

And then I went back and got some thicker roots from some unknown past plant, cutting up the thickest bits:

Mashing that down as well:

That was as much as I felt I could squeeze in there and still leave a bit of room to mix it around.

I like to leave it cooking for four days, so since I was done adding material, that was day 1. During the cooking process I would stir it as best as I could, which usually meant just lifting the lower layer and moving it to the top. I also used the leading edge of the spoon to slice down and break up the leaves and roots as they cooked.

This is about what it looked like at the end of the cooking period:

So it was time to get the colander and a pot to do the first straining:

I dumped out the crock pot:

And lifted out the colander:

There's some plant matter in there along with some perlite that was stuck to the roots, so it got strained again through a mesh strainer:

I also used a ladle to try and push as much oil out of the remaining material as I could:

And what I ended up with was this:

Exactly 32oz of oil, or 2 of my original 3 bottles. The rest is contained in the plant matter, but even with clamps and wood I couldn't squeeze out enough to make it worthwhile. That third bottle of oil is just the cost of doing business!

I poured the oil back into the original bottles:

And grabbed a roller ball bottle (this 10ml version is available on Amazon in 10-packs and up):

Filled it up:

Capped and labeled:

And labeled the remaining oil to be stored long term in the fridge:

I have so many different bottles of oil in the fridge that it's really important I know what's what.

And that's my new version of the skin salve! It works really well and the relief lasts a long time (around 12 hours, which is much longer than Benadryl spray or cortisone cream), though it does take a few minutes to start working.

Feel free to ask any questions and let me know if I need to clarify anything. :thanks: for stopping by!

Additional notes:
1. Don't bother doing another filtering beyond the mesh strainer. I ran mine through a 25 micron bubble hash bag and it definitely wasn't worth the time or effort, not to mention it's a royal pain to clean afterwards.
2. If you have a good electric grinder (I used a small Ninja), you can take the leftover plant material and grind it as fine as you can to make an excellent exfoliant out of it. It leaves your skin nice and smooth.
3. If you're wondering about the 180ºF temp, it's to make the oil really hot but keep the plant matter from burning where it's pressed against the sides and bottom of the pot. It's jam-packed in there.
4. It doesn't take long for the fan leaves to dry out, and the fine roots dry out pretty quickly too, but the branches and stems and thick top roots can take months, so start saving now!
5. If you have questions about making and/or using topical pain oil, feel free to ask those as well.

Okay, it's time for a new Skin Salve Update!

What's skin salve used for? It's excellent for insect bites, hives, itching, burns, and abrasions. I don't use it on open wounds because it's not sterile.

Who discovered that it could be helpful? @SweetSue found information in Roger Pertwee’s Handbook of Cannabis that quoted historical documents where the hemp plant in oil is recommended for burns. The information dates back to the 1600s, so we're standing on the shoulders of many many generations of growers.

How does it differ from pain oil? Pain oil is made from the flowers and the goal is to make it high in THC (or CBD). Skin salve is made from the rest of the plant (fans, branches, and roots) and the THC content is irrelevant. As I trim and harvest I save and completely dry the remnants so as not to add water to the mix.

For those of you who haven't see my original salve post, it's here, but that one was made with coconut oil and uses bees wax as a hardener. Using coconut oil as a carrier creates issues in warmer weather (it melts), and adding enough wax to maintain its solidity makes the salve less effective through dilution.

For this round I decided to use sweet almond oil. @Amy Gardner often touted the benefits of almond oil for the skin, and it seemed that going with a liquid in a roller-ball container would be an improvement over the coconut/wax combo in a twist-or-push-up tube. I realize that this is no longer a "salve" but I'm sticking with my original terminology!

NB: all cooking is done with the lid on. It's off only for stirring and posing for pictures. :)

And there will be a lot of pictures here because I really wanted to lay out every step, so let's begin with the basics. I used three 16 ounce bottles of Now brand sweet almond oil (from Amazon) and a small crock pot that I try to keep around 180ºF throughout the whole process:

And here is the first box of dried plant bits I pulled out of the garage:

This has a combination of leaves and branches, and I grab some roots later.

I poured the 3 bottles into the pot and began adding the plant matter:

I pushed all the under the oil with a slotted spoon, which left me room to start cutting up dried branches and adding them to the mix:

After mashing that all down, I put the lid on and set the crock pot on Low:

While that was heating up I went back and cut some more branches:

Added that to the stew:

And pushed it all under the oil:

My crock pot needs a bit of attention since its settings are "Keep warm," "Low," and "High." Warm was about 150º and Low was over 200º, so I would switch between them when I was home and leave it on Warm overnight or when no one was going to be home to alternate.

After cooking overnight it looked like this:

which left me room for more, so I went and grabbed some roots from the 5 Killer Cookies:

I pushed that all under and let it cook down for a while:

And then I went back and got some thicker roots from some unknown past plant, cutting up the thickest bits:

Mashing that down as well:

That was as much as I felt I could squeeze in there and still leave a bit of room to mix it around.

I like to leave it cooking for four days, so since I was done adding material, that was day 1. During the cooking process I would stir it as best as I could, which usually meant just lifting the lower layer and moving it to the top. I also used the leading edge of the spoon to slice down and break up the leaves and roots as they cooked.

This is about what it looked like at the end of the cooking period:

So it was time to get the colander and a pot to do the first straining:

I dumped out the crock pot:

And lifted out the colander:

There's some plant matter in there along with some perlite that was stuck to the roots, so it got strained again through a mesh strainer:

I also used a ladle to try and push as much oil out of the remaining material as I could:

And what I ended up with was this:

Exactly 32oz of oil, or 2 of my original 3 bottles. The rest is contained in the plant matter, but even with clamps and wood I couldn't get squeeze out to make it worthwhile. That third bottle of oil is just the cost of doing business!

I poured the oil back into the original bottles:

And grabbed a roller ball bottle (this 10ml version is available on Amazon in 10-packs and up):

Filled it up:

Capped and labeled:

And labeled the remaining oil to be stored long term in the fridge:

I have so many different bottles of oil in the fridge that it's really important I know what's what.

And that's my new version of the skin salve! It works really well and the relief lasts a long time (around 12 hours, which is much longer than Benadryl spray or cortisone cream), though it does take a few minutes to start working.

Feel free to ask any questions and let me know if I need to clarify anything. :thanks: for stopping by!

Additional notes:
1. Don't bother doing another filtering beyond the mesh strainer. I ran mine through a 25 micron bubble hash bag and it definitely wasn't worth the time or effort, not to mention it's a royal pain to clean afterwards.
2. If you have a good electric grinder (I used a small Ninja), you can take the leftover plant material and grind it as fine as you can to make an excellent exfoliant out of it. It leaves your skin nice and smooth.
3. If you're wondering about the 180ºF temp, it's to make the oil really hot but keep the plant matter from burning where it's pressed against the sides and bottom of the pot. It's jam-packed in there.
4. It doesn't take long for the fan leaves to dry out, and the fine roots dry out pretty quickly too, but the branches and stems and thick top roots can take months, so start saving now!
5. If you have questions about making and/or using topical pain oil, feel free to ask those as well.
Hey Shed quite the process nice to see the whole plant being used, was waiting for some meat chunks & potatoes to be tossed in there Lol! how effective is this with deep nerve pain ( not near the skin surface )

Hey Shed quite the process nice to see the whole plant being used, was waiting for some meat chunks & potatoes to be tossed in there Lol! how effective is this with deep nerve pain ( not near the skin surface )
This certainly won't touch nerve pain and I don't think topical pain oil will either (other than psychologically or from the massage part). As @Azimuth mentioned not long ago, nerve pain is best dealt with with THC. Here's his quote from a conversation about CBD and pain relief:
CBD works for pain driven by inflammation, THC more for nerve pain as I understand it. Sometimes the two are combined as inflammation can cause pressure on nerves and lowering inflammation helps ease that pressure.

But for pure pain not caused by inflammation, THC is the go-to. They think terpines also come into play which is why sometimes a lower THC stain can help more than a high one.

Find a strain that works for you and look up its terpine profile and then look for those terpines in other strains. I think you'll find a lot of crossover.
I'm pretty sure he means smoked or edibles.

Also, @SweetSue posted this on nerve pain.

Hope this helps!

I got some CBD Enhanced Warlock coming (just harvested and dried 5 plants I think) - goes as high as 16% THC and 14% CBD aimed for 1:1 with the breeding seems comes out more often like 2:1 - by Serious Seeds

Really looking forward to getting it tested. But definitely keeping the trim separate having read “The Salve How To” my main thing on pain really is mosquito bites. I use this great Japanese thing called no word of a lie “Mopidic” but its quite expensive here, its grey import from HK. But a double whammy salve for cuts and bruises seems like it might be great?

Thanks Shed!

Nick

Quote:

She's a beautiful lady Shed!! Wild how you just hacked off the root ball. I bet she explodes with growth!!!

I agree with using thc for pain. Seems waaaay more effective than cbd to me
For nerve pain it seems no doubt, but for inflammatory pain I'd say that CBD is the way to go. Otter would be the one to talk to about that though!
I didn't know you could buy those roller ball bottles , that's cool . Good job on the tutorial . I agree the THC is better for the nerve pains for me anyway .
Thanks sb! I got those bottles years ago to be able to carry the THC pain oil wherever I went, but it never occurred to me that the salve didn't need to be in a solid form. :hmmmm: Now it's much easier to keep in the cabinet or on my desk at work.
I got some CBD Enhanced Warlock coming (just harvested and dried 5 plants I think) - goes as high as 16% THC and 14% CBD aimed for 1:1 with the breeding seems comes out more often like 2:1 - by Serious Seeds

Really looking forward to getting it tested. But definitely keeping the trim separate having read “The Salve How To” my main thing on pain really is mosquito bites. I use this great Japanese thing called no word of a lie “Mopidic” but its quite expensive here, its grey import from HK. But a double whammy salve for cuts and bruises seems like it might be great?
Thanks Nick, and this oil should work as soon as those cuts heal to soothe the area around it. I don't think it will works on bruises though as it's meant for epidermal-type issues. You should have some roots and fans and branches to work with, once they dry!

I'm looking forward to seeing where your THC/CBD plant tests since in the old days it was never close to specs.
She's a beautiful lady Shed!! Wild how you just hacked off the root ball. I bet she explodes with growth!!!
Thanks Scottay! I'm hoping for a load of happy new growth so I can cut it off for clones. :)

For nerve pain it seems no doubt, but for inflammatory pain I'd say that CBD is the way to go. Otter would be the one to talk to about that though!

Thanks sb! I got those bottles years ago to be able to carry the THC pain oil wherever I went, but it never occurred to me that the salve didn't need to be in a solid form. :hmmmm: Now it's much easier to keep in the cabinet or on my desk at work.

Thanks Nick, and this oil should work as soon as those cuts heal to soothe the area around it. I don't think it will works on bruises though as it's meant for epidermal-type issues. You should have some roots and fans and branches to work with, once they dry!

I'm looking forward to seeing where your THC/CBD plant tests since in the old days it was never close to specs.

Thanks Scottay! I'm hoping for a load of happy new growth so I can cut it off for clones. :)
Fingers crossed for you Growmie!!! I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park. Hurry up and wait!! 😎✌️

Yeah probably not the correct analogy - was trying to think of something with the two types of pain - one for the inflammatory and one for the acute.

Its top of the pile to get tested. Taken a little too soon but we’ll see by Monday. There’s a place in the village that does Gemmacert testing. Opposite the bar has pool team I “bought” (Even to me that sounds weird 😂)

If you're looking for a combination thc/cbd effect you're probably best off growing a high thc/low cbd plant as well as a high cbd/low thc one and then mixing them together after harvest. That way you can control the ratio and make any combination you want, at least when making an extract.

Both thc and cbd are said to work more effectively with a little of the other added to the mix. Higher amounts of cbd can damp down, or even eliminate, the high from thc.

But trying to grow a combination strain that the breeder says tests out at a certain ratio seems to almost never end up where they claim.

The Old Azi blend and bake. Such is the interest normally I’d just pick a nug at random for testing (in fact its & Co does because I might cherry pick and I’d prefer the “general” standard) I’ll do two different plants. The Canadian medical grow one they did 24 plants. I offer two!

The Old Azi blend and bake. Such is the interest normally I’d just pick a nug at random for testing (in fact its & Co does because I might cherry pick and I’d prefer the “general” standard) I’ll do two different plants. The Canadian medical grow one they did 24 plants. I offer two!
Imagine your pre-rolls with 5-10 different mixes/ratios, each with their own labeling. Find out which are the popular sellers and concentrate on marketing those.

Edit: although after giving it 2 minutes of thought, the high thc/low cbd ones are likely going to be the most popular. 🤪

Seriously, though. Try adding a small amount of cbd (5-10%) to your high thc pre-roll mix and see if that doesn't improve the high. A bit counterintuitive since a lot of cbd can remove the high entirely. CBG might also work similar.

You could do a variety pack for the tourists. You know, like the small box variety packs for cereals. Find the one you like and buy a big box of that!

Back
Top Bottom