InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Monday update and a belated happy father's day to the fathers here! :ciao:

I had a shit ton of gardening to do including about 2+ hours of trimming a podocarpus tree outside the kitchen window so I didn't get here yesterday, but I appreciate all the good wishes!
:thanks:

I've got a couple of things to share from this weekend, starting with the Friday upcan of the Trainwreck from @Weed Seeds Express on day 59:

I did the bottom half of the pot with about 80/10 FFHF to perlite, but the top half (which is about as deep as the pot it was in) was straight HF out of the bag. More drainage at the bottom and less where the sun beats on the top all day was my theory.

You can see that I did a nice lollipop on this one too, because I couldn't come up with a single reason not to!

In other news, it was time to split the Candida clones that came out of the perlite with roots on May 22nd. I split them the old fashioned way (knocking, shaking, banging, and cajoling) rather than doing it under water because I'm loathe to use water for anything I don't need to these days.

Here they are living in tight quarters:

Tangled roots:

After knocking, shaking, banging, and cajoling:

Replanted in a blend of mostly FFHF mixed with the ProMix HP they were in:

I watered them with the 4.5g equivalent I give all my vegging plants and have them in full shade while they get used to the new digs.

That's it for me! I hope you all had a great weekend with fun and sun. :cool:

Quotes:

LOL I'm sure they are way better than smoking paraquat! And I'm sure @Cannasavvy could come up with a recipe for infused smoked aphids...she was quite the cannachef.

Oh good! I'm glad you found it worth your while. ;)

If by first plant you mean the fading Sour G STS one, I'm pretty sure that is coming down at the end of the week so I can start the seed hunt!

And I say "noice" because Jake Peralta says "noice"! Sometimes I even say "smort." :)

Thanks, and thank you so much for doing these BL! It warms my cockles to know that you have a spreadsheet dedicated to the stretch of my plants.
:green_heart:

Thank you double H! But if my wife still won't smoke out of the amateur pipe that I made back in 2019 (she doesn't want to "ruin" it) I don't think she would put a BL masterpiece to work.

Thanks sb, a belated back atcha!

Thank you for the lovely song double H! I hope Mr H had a good one as well.

Thanks Boo! I got a card from each kid on the actual day which was a definite plus, since that's all I really want (both my kids make their cards, and my son actually did his on a surgical mask :cheesygrinsmiley: ).
Question: why start the clones together in the same cup just to have to disentangle? Why not just use two cups?

Nice work all around Shed!

I've got some WSE Trainwreck waiting in the wings so I'm really keeping an eye on that one (and the nice clean bottom)!

After knocking, shaking, banging, and cajoling:
Is the order important? I think I'd prefer to try some cajoling before banging. :laughtwo:

Happy Summer Solstice everyone! Today is the longest day of the year (in the northern hemisphere), so get out and enjoy the daylight if you can. It's Mother Nature's flip day...in slow motion.:slide:

Well done coaxing, cajoling, up-canning and tree trimming. That BL pipe is really magnificent!
Thanks Carmen, and BL is truly an artisan!
Nice work on the TW upcan and the clone split, Shed!
Thank you Carcass!
Question: why start the clones together in the same cup just to have to disentangle? Why not just use two cups?
Double the cuttings, double the chances for success, cut the real estate need in half. When I plan on gifting or have a hard-to-clone variety I will put 3 or 4 cuttings in each cup.
Nice work all around Shed!
I've got some WSE Trainwreck waiting in the wings so I'm really keeping an eye on that one (and the nice clean bottom)!
Thanks GDB! Don't wait up for an interesting smoke report though. :)
Is the order important? I think I'd prefer to try some cajoling before banging.
I find they just look at me blankly if I go to cajoling earlier. It seems most effective at the end after the violence.

Man those aphids are tough little buggers. Would it have been easier to toss those plants and pop new seeds?
In terms of this one plant, it's a cutting sitting in perlite while I wait for it to root, so there's no need to toss it. It also makes a perfect test for sprays.

And generally, if I tossed every plant with pests I wouldn't be growing anything! All my plants will have something noshing on them at some point.

There are very few times I would ever recommend chucking a plant that has bugs on it. HashGirl has been dealing with thrips for months now and still bringing a lot of beautiful plants (and some seriously eaten ones) to harvest. She'd be dankrupt if she tossed the ones with pests.

Happy Summer Solstice everyone! Today is the longest day of the year (in the northern hemisphere), so get out and enjoy the daylight if you can. It's Mother Nature's flip day...in slow motion.:slide:

Thanks Carmen, and BL is truly an artisan!

Thank you Carcass!

Double the cuttings, double the chances for success, cut the real estate need in half. When I plan on gifting or have a hard-to-clone variety I will put 3 or 4 cuttings in each cup.

Thanks GDB! Don't wait up for an interesting smoke report though. :)

I find they just look at me blankly if I go to cajoling earlier. It seems most effective at the end after the violence.
Happy Solstice to you too! Thanks for that completely sensical answer!

In terms of this one plant, it's a cutting sitting in perlite while I wait for it to root, so there's no need to toss it. It also makes a perfect test for sprays.

And generally, if I tossed every plant with pests I wouldn't be growing anything! All my plants will have something noshing on them at some point.

There are very few times I would ever recommend chucking a plant that has bugs on it. HashGirl has been dealing with thrips for months now and still bringing a lot of beautiful plants (and some seriously eaten ones) to harvest. She'd be dankrupt if she tossed the ones with pests.

Thanks, Shed. However, I did throw one plant out, the second Blueberry auto as the thrips just decimated it.

Time for a Wednesday update because it's Wednesday and I took pics of the two flowering plants this morning!

Starting with the Candida on flip day 31:

Even this early it's a very sticky plant that barely fits in the Oval of Brightness®.

And here is the Jack Herer 1.1 from @Weed Seeds Express on flip day 59:

Remember how I talked about doing a staggered harvest because of all the pale green inner growth that could probably use some more time after the tops get chopped? It occurs to me that it's not possible if I wait for the plant to stop drinking before I harvest as I usually do now.

Do I take the tops early to let the inners go longer, or do I take it all down at once and just use the inners for some sort of kief experiment? Thoughts?

Both plants have some serious PM going on so I soaked them with citric acid this morning. They're both pretty packed into the shed at night and it's probably time to turn on the 6" inline exhaust fan now that it's warmer when they're in there.

That's it for me! I hope your week is smoothly sailing into the weekend. :slide:

Quotes:
Happy Solstice to you too! Thanks for that completely sensical answer!
Thanks Jon, glad to oblige with some sensicalness!
Wow u still got your hands full over here. Good man Shed is. Very knowledgeable.
Thanks 7D2!
Thanks, Shed. However, I did throw one plant out, the second Blueberry auto as the thrips just decimated it.
Right, but like I said, there are very few times I would ever recommend chucking a plant that has bugs on it. That might have been one of those times, but the bugs really got out of hand on it!
Dankrupt, haha. I hope I'm never dankrupt, that sounds horrible!
It is!

Remember how I talked about doing a staggered harvest because of all the pale green inner growth that could probably use some more time after the tops get chopped? It occurs to me that it's not possible if I wait for the plant to stop drinking before I harvest as I usually do now.

Do I take the tops early to let the inners go longer, or do I take it all down at once and just use the inners for some sort of kief experiment? Thoughts?
Depends on whether or not the plant will keep those inner parts going past the point where it would have stopped drinking.
If taking the tops will let it keep going then taking them right when you think they're ready before it stops drinking would be the best plan.
If it's going to stop drinking regardless, then you might as well do the entire harvest at once.
I guess it also depends on how early you think it would be.
What kind of experiment were you thinking of?

If you have bad pm it might be better to start an earlier harvest and stagger it if you can manage the pm? I think that JH is looking so pretty though!

Both of those ladies look awesome, Shed, especially with the sheen from the citric acid! :)

No, seriously, beautiful plants.

I'm surprised you haven't considered droughting to deal with the inner stuff. :Rasta:

Depends on qhat the kief experiment is all about :)

What's PM?

Depends on whether or not the plant will keep those inner parts going past the point where it would have stopped drinking.
I thought that once the plant stops drinking, the next thing it's going to do is die on the vine rather than ripen any leftover flowers further. I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure though.
If it's going to stop drinking regardless, then you might as well do the entire harvest at once.
I guess it also depends on how early you think it would be.
It's hard to tell how early that would be because anything before it stops drinking would be harvesting early. Given the difference in weight of the tops vs the inners I'm not sure that they're worth sacrificing on the alter of the staggered harvest.
What kind of experiment were you thinking of?
Dunno really, never done anything with kief/hash. If I can find dry ice that seems like it might be the easiest way to go. I don't want to invest in bubble bags or a screen.
If you have bad pm it might be better to start an earlier harvest and stagger it if you can manage the pm?
I don't worry about the PM, I just spray it with the 1% citric acid when I see it. Most of the PM is on those larfy inners so I know exactly where to find it!
I think that JH is looking so pretty though!
Thanks!
Both of those ladies look awesome, Shed, especially with the sheen from the citric acid!
No, seriously, beautiful plants.
Thank you GDB...I love that sheen! Too bad I won't neem in flower because my vegging plants look healthy AF. :)
I'm surprised you haven't considered droughting to deal with the inner stuff.
LOL!
Depends on qhat the kief experiment is all about
Not sure what I'll do with it, but I could do it whether I stagger or not. Either way I can't see trimming it!
What's PM?
Powdery mildew, aka white powdery mildew.

I thought that once the plant stops drinking, the next thing it's going to do is die on the vine rather than ripen any leftover flowers further. I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure though.
That's what I mean, if you take the tops will the plant keep drinking long enough to ripen the inner buds? I don't know either.
It's hard to tell how early that would be because anything before it stops drinking would be harvesting early. Given the difference in weight of the tops vs the inners I'm not sure that they're worth sacrificing on the alter of the staggered harvest.
I've never used your criteria for harvesting outdoor buds, so I really don't know how much difference there is between a week before the plant stops drinking, and right after. I harvest a week or two after the final bud swell, when the plant looks done.
Anything after that is almost always lost to mould here.
Dunno really, never done anything with kief/hash. If I can find dry ice that seems like it might be the easiest way to go. I don't want to invest in bubble bags or a screen.
You still need a bag for the dry ice method, don't you?
I have heard of a simple dry sift method that involves a small section of screen and two jars.

if you take the tops will the plant keep drinking long enough to ripen the inner buds? I don't know either.
Maybe I'll take almost all of it when I normally would and leave some behind to see what happens! Then we'll know something anyway. :)
I've never used your criteria for harvesting outdoor buds, so I really don't know how much difference there is between a week before the plant stops drinking, and right after. I harvest a week or two after the final bud swell, when the plant looks done.
Anything after that is almost always lost to mould here.
I can't figure anything about final bud swell so that wouldn't work for me, so I go by the major changes: not drinking, large change in smell, and when I get of sick of looking at it.

@Amy Gardner always told me that outside amber isn't like tent amber because of the impact of the sun on trichomes, and @BeezLuiz discovered that harvesting based on the standard tent-based reading of amber left him with low THC numbers and zero CBN. Here are his tests results. That has convinced me not to harvest by the loupe.

All that said, obviously getting them down before the weather shifts is the most important part!
You still need a bag for the dry ice method, don't you?
I have heard of a simple dry sift method that involves a small section of screen and two jars.
I feel like there was a way to do it without a screen, but I do have the 80 mesh screen I used for pollen. Maybe that would work if the ice doesn't make the plastic crack! I could probably Macgyver something to keep them apart though.

[edit: P9 did his with cheesecloth!]

Jack and Candida are huge! Great shit over here. :popcorn: Apologies I was left behind but caught everything up by now.

I can't figure anything about final bud swell so that wouldn't work for me, so I go by the major changes: not drinking, large change in smell, and when I get of sick of looking at it.
The lab results were pretty surprising :O
I might try to harvest one plant based on when it looks done if trichs wont go totally crazy.
One good indicator can also be if the leaves of the plant are relatively healthy through flowering, then when they start to fade and dry really fast it could be assumed the plant aint drinking properly anymore.

Back
Top Bottom