InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I watched a video where they test those and they don't work, even the yeast ones. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it!

I hadn't searched. Good to know. I did have plenty of distillers yeast left from making some "hummingdeer food". What is hummingdeer food? The son was with me when I was going to the store when I was buying supplies to make mash. I told him, if the cashier asks why we are buying all this sugar, tell her that we are feeding the hummingbirds and we have lots of feeders. If the cashier at Tractor Supply asks why we are buying all this corn, tell her it's for our deer feeders. Combine corn, water, sugar and yeast and you have hummingdeer food. If it sits for a week or so the hummingdeer get drunk as hell.

I hadn't searched. Good to know. I did have plenty of distillers yeast left from making some "hummingdeer food". What is hummingdeer food? The son was with me when I was going to the store when I was buying supplies to make mash. I told him, if the cashier asks why we are buying all this sugar, tell her that we are feeding the hummingbirds and we have lots of feeders. If the cashier at Tractor Supply asks why we are buying all this corn, tell her it's for our deer feeders. Combine corn, water, sugar and yeast and you have hummingdeer food. If it sits for a week or so the hummingdeer get drunk as hell.
Family life has the best comedy farside. Thanks.

My neighborhood has been quarantined. Something like 264 mosquitos were caught in my area and have the West Nile Virus. Now we've got these temporary yellow signs at all the entry streets, "This area has been found to have...."

It's all very official but I don't see anybody doing anything they must be spraying the Malathion Gas at night.

Eventually there aren't any left to bite you though, yes?

I watched a video where they test those and they don't work, even the yeast ones. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it!
No, there will still be some around to bite you during the dawn dusk period.

It will reduced overall numbers if propane and the short range repellant is replaced every 20-30 days (depends if your exchanging propane or getting a good fill).

When I run it.I do trap a shit ton of mosquitos in it. Daytime numbers are much lower but if your approach the machine your going to get mauled like kicking a big ass wasp nest on the ground.

Just eat more garlic. Moves the needle away from magnet and more toward repellent ;) Also works on vampires just in case...

Nope. There's an endless supply of 'em.
Living in a suburban environment, I'd say we only have what lives in plant saucers and sprinkler puddles, so I think they would be easier to control once you start knocking the numbers down.
The one we have used is one of these. It looks like a cheap gimmick, but i
From what I've read, there isn't any discernible amount of CO2 produced by the titanium dioxide in those units, so whatever you've caught is probably a result of proximity rather than attraction.
they must be spraying the Malathion Gas at night.
At least it's not paraquat! Don't they need to notify you first?
Hey buddy!
Just swinging by to say whaddup mofo!?
LoL
Keep it easy brother...
LOL! Hey P :ciao:
No, there will still be some around to bite you during the dawn dusk period.
It will reduced overall numbers if propane and the short range repellant is replaced every 20-30 days (depends if your exchanging propane or getting a good fill).
When I run it.I do trap a shit ton of mosquitos in it. Daytime numbers are much lower but if your approach the machine your going to get mauled like kicking a big ass wasp nest on the ground.
I found one from Biogents that uses an actual CO2 canister along with scent lures to target all species. It's high on my list now.
Just eat more garlic. Moves the needle away from magnet and more toward repellent ;) Also works on vampires just in case...
But then I'd need to feed all my guests and my puppy garlic as well! I guess I'll have to take my chances with vampires...

Wednesday update! I figured I had to make up for the lack of pics yesterday so here is a hodge-podge of plants around the backyard...

Let's start with the Bedroom Cookies clone, 2.2.1, that has seriously outgrown the 1 gallon pot and looks like the mother did at the same time: curled leaves and deficiencies...

I don't think I'm going to keep growing this strain though, because this morning I found this on the mother:

This is shortly after getting sprayed with the fungicide, so it might not be the best plant for my environment. I didn't take it off, but sprayed it again with the Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide to see what happens. These buds might be trouble.

Either way, let's look at the fade in the leaves on flip day 45:

And there is some serious flop going on:

Moving on to Sour G that doesn't appear often. It's part of the summer grow that also includes an AK-47, the DTF, and the IIP:

Doing nicely thank you very much!

Now let's look at some of the AK-47 buds on flip day 45:

And last, some Berry Bomb 1.3 colas, also flip day 45:

Oh, one more thing, remember when I said this?
Speaking of skinny stems, @Archiweedies had asked about the AK-47 having such skinny branches and would it support the buds in flower:
Yes.
Well...the full answer is "and no":

That's my 2¢ for this morning. I hope you at least got your money's worth!

Monday update and I've got a few pictures to share. On the plus side, every picture tells a story don't it?

Let's begin with the final weight on the CBD Lemon Potion Auto:

That's 13 grams and I didn't do any trimming, as there wasn't enough to make it worthwhile. Grow it again? We'll see how the smoke report goes. It won't be for a while if I decide to do it again.

Next up, let's take a gander at the DTF, which I thinned this weekend. Starting with the before and after pic:

After the after pic, I went and tied the outside branches down further to keep that middle growth strong. You can see all the middle growth here, in the "sauga-view"...

@Alafornia was curious about topping, so I wanted to mention that this was topped above the 7th node and then I kept the top branches spread wide, to let the lowers to catch up and promote the inner growth as well. When you keep the top branches tide down, the plant realizes it needs to create a new apical stem, so it sends growth hormones to other branches in an attempt to reach for the sky. Keeping the top growth bent down will promote that new growth. Bend slowly over a few days so as not to split the trunk or break any branches.

How tall you let it go before topping and training this way will depend on how long you want to veg and nothing else. Once you top, you need to have time to let all the other growth happen before you flip. A short veg time will necessitate a lower topping, while if I had a longer time to veg I could have let it grow even taller before topping.

While I had my face in there during the trim, I discovered that the stem had split, because I didn't know about the @Heavenly Hybrid double H topping method, where you leave a half inch of stem above the node to prevent this very thing:

I taped it up, not because I think the plant needs it now, but to prevent it from splitting further once the branches get heavy with buds:

Let's move on to the next plant getting thinned, the IIP:

I know it's tough to see in there with the sunlight and the green background, but I took off a lot of skinny branches.

On both of these plants, I took @Graytail's advice and left on a lot of the leaves while removing the adjoining shoots. As long as I had good airflow, I didn't strip all the greenery. Nothing wrong with a future source of carbs!

I got a cup of monstercrop cuttings from each that I will try to root in order to complicate my life further.

Speaking of skinny stems, @Archiweedies had asked about the AK-47 having such skinny branches and would it support the buds in flower:

Yes.

And last for the day (if you're still with me...) the Candidas. As promised, here is the 5 gallon with the tomato cage/canopy ring yesterday. It needs water every single day. Remind me not to use 5 gallon pots for full-sized plants:

40" tall from the soil this is :eek: .

And the other in a 7 gallon pot:

These are flip day 10, so I'll be thinning them at the end of stretch.

In a housekeeping note, I did a preventative spray of the Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide on the big three yesterday afternoon. Please don't put your face in the flowers even after it's dry. It burns! I'm going to need a balaclava to move the BC 2.2 now.

That's it for my weekend! I hope yours went well :cool: .
Wowzers! Question, doesn’t all that trimming of branches and leaves at once cause a lot of stress on the plants and risk turning hermy? I’d like to trim off all my bottom branches but I’m scared to. P.s- my 10 gallons need water every single day sometimes even twice :eek:

Attachments

• D45DDD70-2C3D-49D0-BA02-EE87FA56F73E.jpeg
    D45DDD70-2C3D-49D0-BA02-EE87FA56F73E.jpeg
    976 KB · Views: 54
  • 06FFBDD8-EB23-46D3-9085-219819C36343.jpeg
    06FFBDD8-EB23-46D3-9085-219819C36343.jpeg
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 39
Wowzers! Question, doesn’t all that trimming of branches and leaves at once cause a lot of stress on the plants and risk turning hermy? I’d like to trim off all my bottom branches but I’m scared to. P.s- my 10 gallons need water every single day sometimes even twice :eek:

When you're about to hit her with some stress, first ensure she's healthy enough to make it through the stress, also do your work about 1/3 of the way into the day. This leaves 2/3 of the day to recover from the stress and properly manage her sugars. I try to spread it out during veg so after the bloom stretch, most of the branch removal was already done, but sometimes I forget and have to do a brutal branch removal session at the beginning of bloom week 4. As long as she's healthy and you get her at the right time of the day, she'll get through it all.

My neighborhood has been quarantined. Something like 264 mosquitos were caught in my area and have the West Nile Virus. Now we've got these temporary yellow signs at all the entry streets, "This area has been found to have...."

It's all very official but I don't see anybody doing anything they must be spraying the Malathion Gas at night.
I hope there's some mass skeeter kill going on.

First let me :welcome: you to my perpetual grow journal stephyyy! Good question that Skybound answered well, but differently than I would. The only thing I can tell you is I pay no attention to when I stress my plants in veg. Sometimes I lollipop when they're really really thirsty, sometimes shortly after I've watered. Sometimes in morning and sometimes in the heat of the day. And always all at once. And I often will supercrop daily regardless of the condition of the plant.

That said, in flower I don't touch them until stretch is over when I do a big clear-out, and after that I only do simple thinning for airflow. I've never had a plant hermie on me. I definitely don't baby my plants.

Your 10 gallon pots should need water twice a day given the size of those beautiful trees you're growing. :welldone:
When you're about to hit her with some stress, first ensure she's healthy enough to make it through the stress, also do your work about 1/3 of the way into the day. This leaves 2/3 of the day to recover from the stress and properly manage her sugars. I try to spread it out during veg so after the bloom stretch, most of the branch removal was already done, but sometimes I forget and have to do a brutal branch removal session at the beginning of bloom week 4. As long as she's healthy and you get her at the right time of the day, she'll get through it all.
Mollycoddler! ;)
Lovely update and lovely ladies as usual Shed! Hope you have a blessed day brother!
Thanks Magoo! I need updates on your outsiders as well. Too many tent pics and not enough hedgerow :).

NIce update Shed :) I always love pics looking into and through Canna foliage :love:

probably a result of proximity rather than attraction
may be true, and I’d read that too about the small amount of necessary C02, but the device does make it possible for us to sit on our deck during periods where, if the device is not operating we cannot be out there. Can’t be placebo! We’ve tested it ;)

That I did! Beautiful flowers you've got going on,Shed...great update !
Thanks carcass!
Hot damn, that berry bomb is definitely the bomb!!
I know right? And now that I have some mold on the BC I'm nervous about the bigger colas on the BeBo. :eek:
NIce update Shed :) I always love pics looking into and through Canna foliage :love:
may be true, and I’d read that too about the small amount of necessary C02, but the device does make it possible for us to sit on our deck during periods where, if the device is not operating we cannot be out there. Can’t be placebo! We’ve tested it
Oh I never said placebo, I said proximity! That won't work for our yard unless we went out and bought multiple devices.
"...the Dynatrap marketing materials state that a novel method of CO2 generation is used, based on a titanium dioxide insert that interacts with UV light. However, when we attempted to measure the output of these traps, we detected no CO2 at all."
Source

And why a real CO2 source is needed to attract mosquitoes:
"Carbon dioxide (also known as carbonic acid or CO2) is the most important attractant for the majority of blood-sucking insects. The gas is present in the breath of humans and animals. It is only present in minimal amounts of around 0.04 % in the air. Human breath contains about 4%"
Source

Back
Top Bottom