Icemud Goes LED - Featuring Top LED Grow - Cherry Pie GSC/OGiesel/SFV OG/UVH OG

Re: Icemud Goes LED: Featuring Top LED Grow: Cherry Pie - GSC - OGiesel - SFV OG - UV

Cheers Icemud. Thanks. This is an amazing forum which I actually only found a few days ago after starting to research LED growlights. A mind boggling amount of info and a very friendly community. Glad to be here.

If I could ask what may be a stupid question, it would be this. Why, in particular are the ends of your screen angled up like that ? I imagine the answer will reveal itself eventually ;) Just curious.

Cleetus, you are right, 420 Magazine is the best online growing forum out there. I have to say 3 years ago I knew nothing about growing and I've learned about 90% of what I know here :) I've met so many cool, kind and knowledgeable people here and the respect factor here is amazing. I've visited other forums and its a bunch of hard head, trash talking, noobs who think they know what there doing. I feel proud to be a 420 Member and I welcome you to the community!!! I hope it serves you well :)

Check out the LED company Top LED which is one of our sponsors, I researched LED for about 3 years and for the price, hands down these were the best option, and so far I am extremely pleased :)

Great question about the screen. There are 2 main reasons I made the edges angled. Originally I was running 2 HID lights instead of LED, and there is a law called the "square inverse law" which states that you lose intensity in a exponential way the further you get away from the lights. When I only had 2 lights, the edges of the tent were not in the "optimum" lighting area so I moved the edges upwards because the closer you get to the light, the more intense the light the plants receive. Since the middle of the tent was receiving the light from 2 lights, the middle position was fine and receiving very intense lighting, but the sides weren't. So by raising the sides, I am increasing the amount of intense light the edge plants were getting. The second reason the angled sides were more appealing to me was it increased the surface area of the screen allowing slightly more squares to be available for budsites. And 3rd reason, some strains grow short and bushy, some tall and lanky. Having the screen in a V allows me to place the short bushy strains in the middle and tall lanky ones on the sides, which fits their growth profiles much more key.

Re: Icemud Goes LED: Featuring Top LED Grow: Cherry Pie - GSC - OGiesel - SFV OG - UV

Great answer. Thanks ! And thanks too for the welcome. I like it here.

Yes the info here is outageous in a very good way. I grew for about a year, going back 12 years ago. I learned a lot through various books and publications, and of course, trial and some painful errors. But, I actually got pretty good at it. I miss growing and hope to dive back into it soon. This resourse is priceless and will go a long way towards re educating me.

I believe I have already decided that Top LED will be my lighting of choice. From what I've seen here so far, I couldn't go too wrong on any level.

My main concern with the LEDs is there limited footprint (depending on model of course) and wondering if there need be a lamp above the entire footprint of the canopy.....still lots to learn and relearn. Cheers !

Love the v scrog. I just set mine up today. I only have one 400 watt led. Wierd that the company uses whites i use UV and IR. Where did you order im looking for more leds with good reviews. Expensive but makes up on power over the years. With scrog buds are more dense and not as leafy at harvest. Looks like you could defoliate a little or that screen will be all fan leaf. You use any nutes beside that mix ? Cali will be recreational soon alobg with new jersey as of latest news. :cheer:

Excellent read for some one just coming back from a looooonnng break. You just made my job a hell of a lot easier.

One question - well one for now anyway. Mars II definitely vs the reflector for "Flowering"?

Having a hard deciding still one the Mars II 900w x2 vs the 96-3w reflector x4 for a 8x4x7 grow tent.

Thanks for your hard work on this,
Cheers,
DS

Hey Ice Happy Tokerday man :thumb:

Love the v scrog. I just set mine up today. I only have one 400 watt led. Wierd that the company uses whites i use UV and IR. Where did you order im looking for more leds with good reviews. Expensive but makes up on power over the years. With scrog buds are more dense and not as leafy at harvest. Looks like you could defoliate a little or that screen will be all fan leaf. You use any nutes beside that mix ? Cali will be recreational soon alobg with new jersey as of latest news. :cheer:

Hey Cas Grow! Thanks for the compliments! Yeah I love growing the V-Scrog, it definitely keeps me more busy with the plants which I enjoy and I find it fun tucking the branches and "plotting" on where they will grow to fill in, its kind of like a puzzle :) The 400w Top LED's are really nice.. mine does have IR but does not have UV. I may in the future be adding a reptile UV bulb but my last grow with the TOP LED was so frosty, I don't know if I really need the UV. The whites are added to address the auxillary pigments in the plants. Plants mostly use Red and blue, but also there are other pigments that use purple/deep blue, aqua blue/green, yellow/orange, but they don't need as much of this light outside of the red and blue, so that is why the white led's are used. White LED's offer a pretty full spectrum which is high from green to red, and also has a big peak in the blue area, but dips usually around 500nm.

I definitely love the power savings that I gain from the lights, I was paying around $260 per month in electric and with the LED I have lowered it to around $140 per month, so the lights pretty much pay themselves off within a year. Definitely a good investment with a quick ROI.

I will be defoliating and lollipopping the girls closer to when I am going to flip to flowering. With my V-Scrog in past grows I also have found a medium defoliation about 20 days into flowering will be needed as well as one around day 50 or so of flowering. For nutrients I have been mixing it up with different brands and feedings, usually each feeding I list what I use so If you wanted to know the specifics just go back a few pages and it will be specified. Mainly though I use combinations of Earthjuice, General Organics, Advanced Nutrients, and I love a hydrolyzed fish from Bonide. There are others, but those are the main core nutrients. I also foliar feed weekly and those are done by a agricultural lab who doesn't like their name associated with this plant but basicly lab guys made it for high brix foliar feeding. I also make compost teas which usually are a nylon full of my pre mixed soil, bubbled for 2 days with sometimes added kelp meal, or cold processed seaweed, and sometimes humic acid, fulvic acid and other things...I am still playing around with different feeding schedules, methods and such so I wish I could provide a more specific answer for ya but cant cause its always changing.

Excellent read for some one just coming back from a looooonnng break. You just made my job a hell of a lot easier.

One question - well one for now anyway. Mars II definitely vs the reflector for "Flowering"?

Having a hard deciding still one the Mars II 900w x2 vs the 96-3w reflector x4 for a 8x4x7 grow tent.

Thanks for your hard work on this,
Cheers,
DS

I wish I could give you a definite answer but I really cant because I have never flowered with my reflector light. I think for a scrog or sea of green either light would work great, but if you are growing tall monsters, I probably would say the Mars II has more intense lighting to penetrate deeper into the foliage.

That Harleyquin sounds interesting; you got it as a clone? Is that something anyone can purchase or you gotta be hooked up?

I am very excited in finding a high CBD strain. It took me a few months but I came across a listing on CL and they had a link to a website that was local to Socal. I checked it out and it seemed to be legit so I called the girl and she was very helpful, very knowledgable and friendly. I asked her how she verifies her genetics and she said that they use certain seedbanks they know well and are reputable as well as receive cuts that have been verified by other connections they have. They deliver to all of my area, but they had a minimum of 10 clones for delivery so I asked if I could pick them up and she said yea. They had babies, teens and ready to flower larger plants available and a pretty decent list of strains available. I met her at a public place, inspected the clones for any bugs, pests or damage and showed her my medical paperwork, and home I went with new genetics. You can purchase them if you are a legal medical card/rec. holder in my state, but finding the suppliers or clone labs isn't easy as there are not many of them around and if they are, they don't usually stay around long.

I have some clone envy bro!!! I have to agree that gdp is a fantastic strain, anything it's crossed with is fantastic. That black cherry soda, I think I have info on it, I'll look for ya later. Man totally jealous of the Harleyquin bro I hope she turns out fantastic for you and that green candy is going to be a big yielder. I'm looking forward to watching them grow ;)

Thanks for the reply. I just defoliated day 27 of veg and added screen. Just started on this site. I used the forums on nirvanas old site and old accounts over 5 yrs were removed for server space. I live in western Ny and my strains are all my own from buds i liked and found rare seeds in. My blueberry bash i believe is the name was my last grow. I clobed and have two along with two 2nd and 3rd gen Northernlights*santa maria mix. If u can look at my thread i have either bad genetics in this one plant or sone deformation on the one. Need advice on what it may be. Thank for all input and keep up the meds. Not long and NY will join. As well as New Jersey for recreational use.

Wow Ice, $140; that's a substantial chunk of change you save. Yeah, in NY we don't have such progressive attitudes respective of weed; so no medical cards. High CBD strains are good anti inflammatory and muscle relaxers; am I correct?

Yeah, California has some of the highest power bills outside of HI and I think NY so reducing in any area is key...and the LED definitely reduced my usage and I am now not as afraid of my power bills :) Yeah CBD is the cannabinoid that is linked to most of MJ's medical benefits. Here is a little blurb I copied from Project CBD's webpage.

The reduced psychoactivity of CBD-rich cannabis makes it an appealing treatment option for patients seeking anti-inflammatory, anti-pain, anti-anxiety, and anti-psychotic effects without disconcerting lethargy or dysphoria.

ok icy im on my way to gank a cut of your harly!!!! youdirty rotten stinking lucky son of a biscut eater!! im three kinds of green envy i wat that cut more than any other except maybe cannatonic or charolettes web i had some harly a short while back and its the best i felt in years!! you gotts cs some beans *wink* doode i'll be yer bitch!!!! ok im gonna go sulk and rip out an eyebrow

Yep the Electric bill sucks man
Happy Weednsday Ice :thumb:

ok icy im on my way to gank a cut of your harly!!!! youdirty rotten stinking lucky son of a biscut eater!! im three kinds of green envy i wat that cut more than any other except maybe cannatonic or charolettes web i had some harly a short while back and its the best i felt in years!! you gotts cs some beans *wink* doode i'll be yer bitch!!!! ok im gonna go sulk and rip out an eyebrow

Hey BID...yeah I have been seeking a clone of a CBD heavy strain for sometime and I finally lucked out and found one! Also a few other cuts that seemed delicious and I am really excited about the GDP since it is one of my favorite strains outside of blue dream, OG and GSC. I definitely will be needing some help with the making of seeds when the time comes. I am trying to figure out how to best plan my crop rotations out and really need a 3rd tent. I have one but don't know where to put it in my small apartment. I definitely need to find a place because having a 3rd tent would really help give me the room to breed in 1 tent, 1 for veg and one for flowering. Hmm, will have to shift some things around and see what I can come up with. I definitely got you when I get around to making seeds :)

Hey everyone! Back with another quick update.

Late last week I received my T and J compost tea kit and already brewed up my 1st batch. I cut the ingredients down to just 2 spoonful's of the activator and the minerals and it still ended up very frosty and looked like one heck of a tea! Seems to be very good stuff. Also got my yucca extract and have been using it in my foliar sprays as well as my teas, and even been using it in my water that I drink too :)
DSC083742.JPG
DSC083751.JPG
DSC083762.JPG
DSC08377.JPG
DSC083782.JPG
DSC083793.JPG
DSC083802.JPG

Other than getting the T and J not much else to report. Finally 2 of my seeds have sprouted, took over 3 weeks!! Didn't know sprouting seeds too so long for them to pop but excited that at least I got 2 new plants on the way :) I swear right now I have 10 strains going plus the 2 seedlings :) Almost on my way to a mini dispensary :) lol.

I have been alternating between the TandJ tea and the Amaze/PGR foliars, giving them a spray every 3 to 4 days switching products every other feeding. I also have continued to tuck branches every day to help force the plants to produce more tops and so far the scrog effect is working great on all strains except the OGiesel which just wants to be a bush! LOL It responded much better to supercropping and topping than the bending with the scrog but I am sure it still will have a good influence on how many tops form during flowering :)

Well here is the update photos :)
DSC083951.JPG
DSC08396.JPG
DSC08397.JPG
DSC083981.JPG
DSC083991.JPG
DSC084001.JPG

Looks good. Might want to do a mild defoliation so light can reach lower nodes. I do mine day 27 and 54 of Veg and day 21 of flower. And i also found that super cropping with a pinch and bend method late veg will increase bud sites above the knot developed from the plant healing it self at the pinch site. Love your setup. I need to get another led panel just switched over and expensive units 300 watt was 350+

Back
Top Bottom