Humid Temperate Colombian Andes Greenhouse Organic Grow

Probably I will have to train them when to use neem oil, and when only to use castille soap. Or possibly canola oil.
Are you expecting a lot of bugs?

I am thinking I should probably wait and see how this goes, because these boys are focused on low-cost. They will have a passive operation, just what has worked well and been cheap for a long time.
Are you planning to grow in the ground or in pots? (sorry if I missed this above.) Will watering be automated or by hand?

I have met people who talk openly about growing, and I have smelled it growing sometimes, only I did not pay attention to what time of year that was.
Probably what they do here is to grow it full size and then let it bloom out in summer.
You've got the photoperiod issue, same as what we have here in Hawaii. Are other growers using lighting? If you want big plants and a big harvest, then I'd say start them in late spring / early summer when the weather warms, run night interruption, let them develop, then turn off the lights to initiate flowering.

I guess with Mango Biche, hermies are a problem if there is contamination. Growing outside it will be difficult to avoid cross-pollen contamination. Growing inside would solve that but then we are back to cost.
Not really on the "growing inside"... the pollen is microscopic and carried by air currents for many miles. It will find its way into most greenhouses.

When it is time I should see if I can get seeds from that "Colombian landrace" web page Deaká, as they also claim to preserve pure genetics.
Also their strain of Santa Marta d'Oro has a lot of CBD.
Probably the landraces are landraces specifically because they have survived long term here against weather and pests and etc. So if something is "from here" or it is adapted to this valley, it might just be the easy way, because then the local help can grow it without a lot of supervision from me.
For the short term, though, I will need to show them how to keep the plants sprayed with neem and castille soap, because I am sure these genetics will need help defending against an open-greenhouse environment.
I tend to think you'd be better off looking for high-quality genetics that are bred for pest and fungus/mold resistance, rather than just growing the local stuff, unless you are personally familiar with the local stuff. I think you are also interested in high-CBD, so I doubt anything local will provide that.

I'd say basically what you want is high resin production, and high pine terpene content, for THC sativa, THC indica, and CBD indica or sativa. There are lots of sativa options, but the trick is to find a fast-flowering sativa. For indica, Grand Daddy Purple and Northern Lights #5 are the only ones on my radar screen at the moment for indica and high pine terpenes.

Basically I thought I would just plant all the seeds I have got that promise to survive a greenhouse environment, and then we will see what lives.
And then if what I need lives, and can withstand pests and such, and it is good for me, then I can keep adapting it to here. Thanks to you all, hopefully soon I will be successful at cloning, and we can also make seeds with the silver thiosulfate. So the main thing is to see what does not mold, and also resists bugs.
I would say start with genetics that have the best chance of providing what you want. You are investing in the greenhouse, so it makes sense to also invest in good genetics, if you can afford it. On the other hand, if you must work with what you currently have available, then yes, you will find out what grows well in the greenhouse. Clone the ones that do the best. It will take some time.

And then we will see what kind of pollen is flying around in the air, because most plants here are regular seeds, and the whole valley is open-pollinated.
I'd be surprised if growers aren't taking precautions not to let pollen drift around. If you are saying that people just throw seed into the ground and forget about it, it makes no sense, because then their own buds are going to be full of seeds.

Are you expecting a lot of bugs?
On a farm? Yes. Is that a mistake?
A few grows ago I had a crop that all turned brown. At first I thought it was salt, but that does not match the pattern. It turns out is was a mite. That was a supersoil grow, nothing really smelly to attract bugs, and the mites got me indoors.
So am I wrong to be concerned about attracting the wrong kind of bugs on a farm?
Are you planning to grow in the ground or in pots? (sorry if I missed this above.) Will watering be automated or by hand?
I need to talk with them. There is less topsoil than I thought--about 6-8". We can amend the ground, and that would work. Just use tons of compost and build tilth, and then maybe I can adapt Subcool's amendments into soil in ground??
They want to use drip irrigation. What makes sense is fabric pots with ice-pik holes in the sides in plastic tubs, then put the dripper, and you have auto-fed SWICK.
We can grow to harvest in summer and then recondition (or rebuild) the soil for the next grow in the winter. (With 20 plants I should not need a winter grow. Haha, I will probably need all winter to put it into the cob, haha.)
You've got the photoperiod issue, same as what we have here in Hawaii. Are other growers using lighting?
Not sure, really.
If you want big plants and a big harvest, then I'd say start them in late spring / early summer when the weather warms, run night interruption, let them develop, then turn off the lights to initiate flowering.
:thumb:
Not really on the "growing inside"... the pollen is microscopic and carried by air currents for many miles. It will find its way into most greenhouses.
Right.
I tend to think you'd be better off looking for high-quality genetics that are bred for pest and fungus/mold resistance, rather than just growing the local stuff, unless you are personally familiar with the local stuff.
My thought was that, as a landrace, it has resistance to Colombian bugs, viruses, etc.
It sounds like you are saying that outside genetics may transplant and adapt just as well, if not better? (If so, that would be great.
I think you are also interested in high-CBD, so I doubt anything local will provide that.

I'd say basically what you want is high resin production, and high pine terpene content, for THC sativa, THC indica, and CBD indica or sativa. There are lots of sativa options, but the trick is to find a fast-flowering sativa. For indica, Grand Daddy Purple and Northern Lights #5 are the only ones on my radar screen at the moment for indica and high pine terpenes.
👍
I would say start with genetics that have the best chance of providing what you want. You are investing in the greenhouse, so it makes sense to also invest in good genetics, if you can afford it.
Well, I think we are on a good start. Haha, maybe are you saying that Canadian genetics can adapt well to the cool, humid Colombian Andes?
On the other hand, if you must work with what you currently have available, then yes, you will find out what grows well in the greenhouse. Clone the ones that do the best. It will take some time.
👍
I'd be surprised if growers aren't taking precautions not to let pollen drift around.
Ok, so would it make sense that perhaps back in the good old days before Dutch genetics that everything was a regular? But that now people use more feminized?

If you are saying that people just throw seed into the ground and forget about it, it makes no sense, because then their own buds are going to be full of seeds.
Maybe if "landracing" is a thing of the past, because now everyone uses feminized seeds, then it would be a different game.
Yes it is a question of budget right now, and long term. I already have many seeds, I just need to grow them out, and like you say, keep the ones that work. And just keep it simple like that.

About Pineapple Kush, too bad Tweedle would not ship. I can also order Pineapple Kush from RQS, but it will be $50 by the time we are all done. Probably I need to wait until I grow out what I already have before ordering any more seeds.

PS my big thought with Mango Biche is just that it is 17% THC, and it is supposed to have amazing assistance basically mold and pest bulletproof. At least for Columbia. That is its claim to fame. So I don't know, I think that is what you were looking for in your quest for more resistance strains grow?
Maybe you don't like the flavor. It is a tropical sativa. It takes a long time to flower out.

So much I want to contribute but totally baked (medicated) at the moment :)

PS my big thought with Mango Biche is just that it is 17% THC, and it is supposed to have amazing assistance basically mold and pest bulletproof. At least for Columbia. That is its claim to fame. So I don't know, I think that is what you were looking for in your quest for more resistance strains grow?
Maybe you don't like the flavor. It is a tropical sativa. It takes a long time to flower out.
Sorry, I just now checked out what you posted above... details of Mango Biche. Yes, very long lifecycle and flowering time (34 weeks total... almost 8 months!) Very tall plants. Psychedelic high. This is probably a safe bet for your location. I couldn't find any terpene information though.

If you are open to sativas with long flowering times, there are a great many in this category. One that comes up high on my list is Super Lemon Haze with terpinolene dominant. 6 weeks veg, 9-10 weeks flowering.

Super Lemon Haze, photo by @Nicholas Flamel , 2020
1728626007882.png

I'm currently working on finding a fast-flowering sativa-dominant strain/pheno that's high in pine terpenes. I recently found out that Humboldt Seed Company has several sativas in the 45-55 day range for flowering time. The sativa pheno of Sugar Black Rose looks promising, as does SubCool's Chernobyl, specifically the Slymer cut (aka Golden Ticket)... 8-9 weeks in flower.

On a farm? Yes. Is that a mistake?
A few grows ago I had a crop that all turned brown. At first I thought it was salt, but that does not match the pattern. It turns out is was a mite. That was a supersoil grow, nothing really smelly to attract bugs, and the mites got me indoors.
So am I wrong to be concerned about attracting the wrong kind of bugs on a farm?
From my experience, outdoor bugs are either a problem or they're not, depending on location and climate. In other words, it's not a given that you'll have bug problems. But if you already know that bugs are a problem in that location, then yes, you'll need to be ready with something to spray. As you know, my go to is neem oil mixed with Bronner's peppermint soap and water, applied with a pump sprayer.

I need to talk with them. There is less topsoil than I thought--about 6-8". We can amend the ground, and that would work. Just use tons of compost and build tilth, and then maybe I can adapt Subcool's amendments into soil in ground??
They want to use drip irrigation. What makes sense is fabric pots with ice-pik holes in the sides in plastic tubs, then put the dripper, and you have auto-fed SWICK.
Oh wow, yeah... that's not enough topsoil. You could use squat 10 gal nursery pots and fill with supersoil.

My thought was that, as a landrace, it has resistance to Colombian bugs, viruses, etc.
It sounds like you are saying that outside genetics may transplant and adapt just as well, if not better? (If so, that would be great.
Yeah, I think what you want is faster lifespan and faster flowering time. Maybe the Super Lemon Haze.

Well, I think we are on a good start. Haha, maybe are you saying that Canadian genetics can adapt well to the cool, humid Colombian Andes?
I don't think I said anything about Canadian genetics. But generally, yeah, I think as long as you've got the high resin production, and high pine terpenes, then you should have fungus/mold resistance. There's no "adaptation" going on... it's just that the genetics are either resistant or they're not. Bugs is another story, and yeah, you could have locally adapted plants that are more resistant to the local bugs... I don't know.

Maybe if "landracing" is a thing of the past, because now everyone uses feminized seeds, then it would be a different game.
Yes it is a question of budget right now, and long term. I already have many seeds, I just need to grow them out, and like you say, keep the ones that work. And just keep it simple like that.
👍

About Pineapple Kush, too bad Tweedle would not ship. I can also order Pineapple Kush from RQS, but it will be $50 by the time we are all done. Probably I need to wait until I grow out what I already have before ordering any more seeds.
Try ordering Pineapple Kush directly from East Fork Cultivars.

PS my big thought with Mango Biche is just that it is 17% THC, and it is supposed to have amazing assistance basically mold and pest bulletproof. At least for Columbia. That is its claim to fame.
Uff! Phone typing...
It is supposed to have an amazing resistance to all pests and mold and threats (bulletproof, at least for Colombia).
I just remembered that they have some local seed bank conservatories here for the local plants (corn, etc.), I wonder if I talked with them, if they will know anyone with the original Mango Biche genetics, or if they will know how to grow inground in greenhouses here.
I think they would like the idea if I were to seek out the land race genetics, and try to work with those. (They would probably take that as a compliment.)

Can you build open bottom raised beds for the soil you've built? That way the roots can make use of the 6-8" of soil if they need it, and they'll probably do fine growing around whatever is below that.
Yes, good idea. I can potentially do whatever. I just know that the mindset is very different here. They are not going to want to do anything complicated. Rather, they are going to want something very simple and foolproof.
I have never worked with raised beds, and I have never amended soil in ground for cannabis, but I suppose it is all the same, it just handles moisture differently.

I was told that they dig a big hole here and throw all of their kitchen waste into it, and turn the worms loose. So basically they get a big planting hole filled with worm castings, surrounded by the local volcanic soil. And I guess that is a good start, but I was thinking it would need more than that. So I thought maybe if I can find a good replacement for the bloodmeal I can take the subcool super soil amendments and mix those into the soil.
We have an unlimited supply of cow manure and also goat manure. And when they clean the goat stables there's lots of compost.
You can also buy alfalfa meal and bone meal and all sorts of other meals and nutrients here for cheap in 50 kg sacks. If you are going to amend 20 holes, probably that's the least expensive way. And then you just have to learn what gives what and make your own Mulder chart so to speak.
Probably I need to check around and see if I can find a Colombian forum that talks about greenhouse growing and amending the soil. Typically they will do whatever is easiest and cheapest. I can start with that, and then see how I can add Nutrients that benefit the overall growth.
What is the benefit of a raised bed?

Sorry, I just now checked out what you posted above... details of Mango Biche. Yes, very long lifecycle and flowering time (34 weeks total... almost 8 months!) Very tall plants. Psychedelic high. This is probably a safe bet for your location. I couldn't find any terpene information though.

I do not reallyremember what it tasted like, I just remember that it was very trippy in a very different way. I felt like I was entering a different dimension, or something. It was really trippy.
:smokin:
My favorite part is they said it's basically bulletproof to any and all threats here (mold, pests, rain, etc.). I just have to find out how they grow it here.

If you are open to sativas with long flowering times, there are a great many in this category. One that comes up high on my list is Super Lemon Haze with terpinolene dominant. 6 weeks veg, 9-10 weeks flowering.
Sounds super good! 👍
Yes, the lightbulb 💡 finally came on about what you guys were saying about growing your CBD on the side, and then mixing in the grinder. (It opens up a lot more possibilities.)
Super lemon haze with terpinolene dominant sounds excellent.
Super Lemon Haze, photo by @Nicholas Flamel , 2020
1728626007882.png

I'm currently working on finding a fast-flowering sativa-dominant strain/pheno that's high in pine terpenes. I recently found out that Humboldt Seed Company has several sativas in the 45-55 day range for flowering time. The sativa pheno of Sugar Black Rose looks promising, as does SubCool's Chernobyl, specifically the Slymer cut (aka Golden Ticket)... 8-9 weeks in flower.
Sounds good!
From my experience, outdoor bugs are either a problem or they're not, depending on location and climate. In other words, it's not a given that you'll have bug problems. But if you already know that bugs are a problem in that location, then yes, you'll need to be ready with something to spray. As you know, my go to is neem oil mixed with Bronner's peppermint soap and water, applied with a pump sprayer.
👍
But yes, the last grow I did with top dressing (Geo Flora), the bugs were everywhere! It was like O'Hare international airport! And the early round of this grow I lost almost the whole crop to some mites. (I was only able to save two girls.)
I wrote to my guy and talked with him about putting up fine bug mesh, and then putting the plastic on over that. He likes that idea and he's thinking about that for the rest of the greenhouse also, so we can put on the plastic coat when it is needed, and take it off when it is not.

Oh wow, yeah... that's not enough topsoil. You could use squat 10 gal nursery pots and fill with supersoil.
Squat because clones?
Yes, either we will need to dig a hole or we will need to build up those raised beds that Shed was talking about.

Yeah, I think what you want is faster lifespan and faster flowering time. Maybe the Super Lemon Haze.
Ok. ✅
Only, I was told that one of the reason the tropical sativas are so powerful is that they spend so long in flower. Is that not true?
(Do you get the same trippy effects with a shorter flowering time? Or does the trippy effect [where you enter the Wi-Fi network and float off to distant galaxies] only come with long flowering times?)
:smokin:
I don't think I said anything about Canadian genetics.
Hahaha, 😝 three of my six strains are from BC Bud Depot (in Canada), and the very cool grower who sent me Candida seeds also lives in Canada (I think).
Haha, so we have cold weather Canadian genetics coming to cold-weather Colombian Andes! 🥶
But generally, yeah, I think as long as you've got the high resin production, and high pine terpenes, then you should have fungus/mold resistance.
:thumb::thanks:
Awesome! That is excellent to know.

There's no "adaptation" going on... it's just that the genetics are either resistant or they're not. Bugs is another story, and yeah, you could have locally adapted plants that are more resistant to the local bugs... I don't know.
Yeah, I am thinking that could be worth a lot here!
Maybe I need to see if I can find some clean original Mango Biche genetics to start with, but if not, I think bug resistance could be a great benefit here!
I basically lost three grows out of six to bugs already! So bug resistance is a big deal here.

👍

Try ordering Pineapple Kush directly from East Fork Cultivars.
I tried. They say they only deliver to the USA.
Do any of the sponsors carry their seeds?

You get to grow in your existing soil without having to dig down two feet.

I hear he's in Los Angeles but either way that's not where they're not a Canadian variety!
OK, CBD God, Harlequin BX4 and Sour Tsunami CBD are all BC Bud Depot (Canada).
So 3 of my 6 strains this grow are from Canada...
(I hope I get sativa phenos with CBD God!)

Back
Top Bottom