Growing with Coco: Questions, Answers & Scuttlebutt

I have flushed previously about once every few feeds, to try to get the high EC runoff value down, but I recently read NOT to do this....something about the coco buffering nutrients and if I flush with plain PH'd water I will hurt the plants because it will take a while for the nutes to build back up in the coco?? Sorry if I've made this question confusing, but if anyone can explain, please . :welcome: K Once you got your ec runoff to the level you want its gonna take alot of water to flush it out .there fore only need to flush if plants are showing signs of toxicity.If you keep runoff high should have no problems with straight water between feeds.. Because the runoff acts like a mini flush..dont get too high Ec on feeds and should have no problems. BC

.. Because the runoff acts like a mini flush..dont get too high Ec on feeds and should have no problems. BC

Exactly!

I always check the runoff PH and EC.

And flushing at the end of flower cycle, will take a bit of time using Clearex and water applied with 50% runoff. Check your runoff EC each day. Also enjoy the colors as the plants lose stored nutes!

:peace: cocoJoe

Exactly!

I always check the runoff PH and EC.

And flushing at the end of flower cycle, will take a bit of time using Clearex and water applied with 50% runoff. Check your runoff EC each day. Also enjoy the colors as the plants lose stored nutes!

Roger that ,Also if he has to flush during grow ,do with light nutes always and never worry bout taking all the cal mag out.Advantage bout the coco is you shouldnt have to spend alot of time flushing like with sunshine mix.As you flush evrey time you feed .Eliminates alot of tedious work.:peace: BC

shooting for around where Joe?

Setting Sun, how are you? You are one best growers here! No joke

I check the runoff to see where it is at.
I the EC is higher than I like, it's time for Clearex.
If the PH is moving down, I'll feed at a higher PH than normal next time.
The PH never seems to move upward. Evaporation is my guess.

What PH? 5.8 to 6.3 It's good to vary it a lil bit.

Once you got your ec runoff to the level you want its gonna take alot of water to flush it out .there fore only need to flush if plants are showing signs of toxicity.If you keep runoff high should have no problems with straight water between feeds.. Because the runoff acts like a mini flush..dont get too high Ec on feeds and should have no problems. BC

And flushing at the end of flower cycle, will take a bit of time using Clearex and water applied with 50% runoff. Check your runoff EC each day. Also enjoy the colors as the plants lose stored nutes!cocoJoe

Cheers for the great info! What do you consider a high EC? I'm up to EC 2.2 in the first week of flower?

Cheers for the great info! What do you consider a high EC? I'm up to EC 2.2 in the first week of flower?

If the plants show no sign of burn or lockout your EC is fine.

All plants (even seed plants from the same pack of seeds) have different requirements.
Growing from one mother plant is the easiest way to grow!

Setting Sun, how are you? You are one best growers here! No joke

I check the runoff to see where it is at.
I the EC is higher than I like, it's time for Clearex.
If the PH is moving down, I'll feed at a higher PH than normal next time.
The PH never seems to move upward. Evaporation is my guess.

What PH? 5.8 to 6.3 It's good to vary it a lil bit.

thanks man!

BTW, if nobody's told you before, you're a really good Joe ;)

Hi All just want to say had to TP plants into 5 gall pots .Was feeding twice a day full strength plants love this coco_Once they get going explosive growth glad i switch over and went thru the trails and tribulations. This stuff rocks say goodbye to acid based peat moss Sunshine mix..:yahoo:BC

Hi All just want to say had to TP plants into 5 gall pots .Was feeding twice a day full strength plants love this coco_Once they get going explosive growth glad i switch over and went thru the trails and tribulations. This stuff rocks say goodbye to acid based peat moss Sunshine mix..:yahoo:BC

Once you get through the learning curve it's smiling time!

that's exactly why I've stuck with it, and plan to continue using it.

what other medium teaches you as much about CEC, PH, watering strategies, etc.?

the learning curve isn't there to compensate for coco's weaknesses, it's to learn how to exploit it's strengths.

the stuff rocks, but it will not give up it's secrets to fair weather sailors, lol

Gro gro with the coco_One other thing I,ve been doing is saving the run off and using it again still high in EC and PH perfect.everytime i hit them they stand up .I think the best way to water is with a reservoir to catch runoff and reuse get more bang for you buck with the ferts..What you guys think ?BC :smokin:

Coir can be used on a feedback loop, but
I wouldn't treat it that way.
Water To Waste has no res to maintain, and
You always know what's in there exactly.
I think the best way to water is with a reservoir to catch runoff and reuse get more bang for you buck with the ferts..What you guys think?
A feature of coir I treasure, for cheapskates: Made to measure
70 liters of grow media for 12 dollars
And too, no res to change out, is money I don't throw out
My 20 percent runoff's small potaters

Gator has lots more experience with coco than I, but I'd have to agree that knowing exactly what's in there is worth more to me than recycling my nutes.

I'm using CRF's, so the runoff would be very recyclable, but it goes to my house plants or to my tomatoes outside, so nothing gets wasted.

On this grow, CRF runoff hovers around 900ppm.

Well as a experiment i have been using the runoff as im growing in 5 gallon pots so there is quite a lot and it come' s out clean with ec of 1.2 ph 5.8
So i feed every one with fresh nutes end up with enough runoff to feed the next day again .So i hit them with the run off and they seem to love it .So i guess time will tell .Also do you guys feed with straight water in between feeds ? Thanks BC

Back
Top Bottom