Granny420's First SoG Using Seeds, Soil And HPS Lights

Oh heck Who am I kidding.....cheers for all the little gals! :cheer: :cheer:
Your vote is already cast by default - de fault of Granny automatically entering you! But it’s good to know you don’t want to play favorites, and you are right… OMG did I just say YOU ARE RIGHT for the second time today? Lol yes, we will root for each for its own uniqueness. It was kinda fun racing for a minute tho… and now this old gal is pooped! Time to play peekaboo for my evening peek!

:hug: :hug::hug:Super Warm Granny Hugs:hug::hug::hug:

Ok Fat bastard it is.
Your vote is already cast by default - de fault of Granny automatically entering you! But it’s good to know you don’t want to play favorites, and you are right… OMG did I just say YOU ARE RIGHT for the second time today? Lol yes, we will root for each for its own uniqueness. It was kinda fun racing for a minute tho… and now this old gal is pooped! Time to play peekaboo for my evening peek!

:hug: :hug::hug:Super Warm Granny Hugs:hug::hug::hug:
Nighty night Granny. Sleep well my friend. I'm with you I need my beauty sleep and this old boy is tuckered out.
20240902_164627.jpg

Pouchie is tuckered out too. These 3 day weekends really wear her out.

UPDATE: End of Day 1 of seeds. A great day!

MATARO BLUE : Still no root tails peeking out, but I have hopes for at least a few of these seeds. They look like they are trying. How would you feel after a 15 year nap? LOL I only planned on 3 of the Mataro Blues and started 7… but I’m not giving up hope yet!
IMG_4675.jpeg

BLUEBERRY CHEESE: These girls are beginning to show a bit of root tails, I’m sure tomorrow they should be ready to put into rockwool. Peekaboo! Just hours behind Fat Bastard in the beginning, we are seeing a close runner up!
IMG_4673.jpeg

FAT BASTARD: First outta the pod. First into rockwool. Ten of these lil gals are now safe in their wooly sweater, ready to fight the battle of emerging seedlings! Two have decided to take a relaxed, slower start. I don’t like to wait for longer roots because they are so fragile and my shaky arthritic hands are clumsy. If I can see the tail, I’m gonna git ‘‘em started! I could have planted a couple Blue Cheese too, but I’ll hopefully plant a bigger group tomorrow.
IMG_4672.jpeg

Those 10 Fat Bastards in their wooly sweaters…
IMG_4676.jpeg

And I’m not sure if the last pic is going to insert, it’s just an image of the Fat Bastard Rockwool in the hooded incubator.Guess not. Maybe later!

Gosh it feels sooooo good to be starting! I’m having babies!!! :goof:

:hug: :hug::hug:Excited Granny Hugs!:hug::hug::hug:

Ok Fat bastard it is.
Nighty night Granny. Sleep well my friend. I'm with you I need my beauty sleep and this old boy is tuckered out.
20240902_164627.jpg

Pouchie is tuckered out too. These 3 day weekends really wear her out.

Fat Bastard it is 2 votes and you and Lady C are the winners! Fat Bastard clearly nosed Blue Cheese outta the gate! For your winning gift, you get to watch Granny have babies - now that’s a sight!!! EEEEEK!!!

You sleep well. Yer girl does look like she is ready. Thank you much for checking in! :high-five: :passitleft:By the way, Rambler, what are the two plants behind sleeping beauty? Are those roses? No, they can’t be. Hmmm:hmmmm:

:hug::hug::hug:SLEEPY Granny Hugs!:hug::hug::hug:

Just want to try again to upload that last pic of the 10 (of12) Fat Bastards in their dome, waiting for others to join them… 24 hours after soak started. The the tray has a 7” tall dome lid. That’s all!

IMG_4679.jpeg

Im going to pull up a seat and checkout those Blueberry Cheese if you don't mind? @Granny420
:welcome: To Granny420’s madhouse… enter if you dare!! LOL Thank you for visiting MRC:high-five:

I’m just getting started here, so you have great timing. I’m really wanting to see these Blueberry Cheese girls too. Lookka like those buds are dense dense dense! But remember this is a true SoG with just 6” pots. I won’t be growing the monster plants that make us drool over the eye candy, but I sure do want to see how a SoG turns out. Does it yield more due to faster turn over, or not? I have an excess amount of seeds, so it’s also a way for me to quickly try more strains to test in a shorter period of time too.

Okay, I’m rambling and stoned and tired, so I best git to bed! Again, welcome!

:hug::hug::hug:Welcoming Granny Hugs!:hug::hug::hug:

Day 2 of SEEDS Update

FAT BASTARD is completely out of the gate. 100% germination in 39-40 hours from beginning of pre-soak… last two seeds into rockwool this morning, totaling all 12 seeds.
IMG_4684.jpeg

BLUEBERRY CHEESE: All 6 have sprouted root tails! They are now in rockwool. It’s a tie for 100% germination!
IMG_4688.jpeg

MATARO BLUE: Alas, I feel my seeds are maybe just too old. Nothing yet.
IMG_4691.jpeg

But the first 18 are off to the races! I reset the temp/RH meter and added it to their new wooly sweater home. Now comes the wait for these girls to pop up and say hello to mama!
IMG_4690.jpeg

Below is the temp/RH monitor to show the highs and lows that were maintained in the black box for seed starts.
IMG_4687.jpeg

Now I have a choice, plant different strain to replace Mataro Blue, or just more Blue Cheese. The Mataro Blue seeds germinated just fine (fast) when I planted them years ago, but they sure aren’t wanting to grow now. I will keep them in my damp paper towels in case they decide to sprout some root tails in the next few weeks. Then I give up on them. It’s a hard world, babies.

So…I am going for the last 4 Blue Cheese seeds that I have. I will keep one back to veg for clones so I can produce more seeds of this strain, and hopefully USE them before they are 15 years old! They (4) are placed in their pre-soak glass of H2O now. 3 already sank.

That’s it for the update! Hope all of you have a glorious green day!

:hug::hug::hug:Warm Fuzzy Granny420 Hugs!:hug::hug::hug:

Day 2 of SEEDS Update

FAT BASTARD is completely out of the gate. 100% germination in 39-40 hours from beginning of pre-soak… last two seeds into rockwool this morning, totaling all 12 seeds.
IMG_4684.jpeg

BLUEBERRY CHEESE: All 6 have sprouted root tails! They are now in rockwool. It’s a tie for 100% germination!
IMG_4688.jpeg

MATARO BLUE: Alas, I feel my seeds are maybe just too old. Nothing yet.
IMG_4691.jpeg

But the first 18 are off to the races! I reset the temp/RH meter and added it to their new wooly sweater home. Now comes the wait for these girls to pop up and say hello to mama!
IMG_4690.jpeg

Below is the temp/RH monitor to show the highs and lows that were maintained in the black box for seed starts.
IMG_4687.jpeg

Now I have a choice, plant different strain to replace Mataro Blue, or just more Blue Cheese. The Mataro Blue seeds germinated just fine (fast) when I planted them years ago, but they sure aren’t wanting to grow now. I will keep them in my damp paper towels in case they decide to sprout some root tails in the next few weeks. Then I give up on them. It’s a hard world, babies.

So…I am going for the last 4 Blue Cheese seeds that I have. I will keep one back to veg for clones so I can produce more seeds of this strain, and hopefully USE them before they are 15 years old! They (4) are placed in their pre-soak glass of H2O now. 3 already sank.

That’s it for the update! Hope all of you have a glorious green day!

:hug::hug::hug:Warm Fuzzy Granny420 Hugs!:hug::hug::hug:
:cheer: Fat B seeds!
I've never had to do it, but some growers will scuff up the seed at the seam to take the protective layer off in order to help it open up. Could be worth a try. Someone had posted a video of how to use pliers to gently crack the seed open too, but I'm not remembering what thread that was. Maybe someone else knows where it was?

Also, sometimes I will give the lagging seeds a gentle tap to get them to sink. Just cuz, I'm impatient as hell. LOL

Edit: love the rockwool cubes. That's what I always use.

:cheer: Fat B seeds!
I've never had to do it, but some growers will scuff up the seed at the seam to take the protective layer off in order to help it open up. Could be worth a try. Someone had posted a video of how to use pliers to gently crack the seed open too, but I'm not remembering what thread that was. Maybe someone else knows where it was?

Also, sometimes I will give the lagging seeds a gentle tap to get them to sink. Just cuz, I'm impatient as hell. LOL

Edit: love the rockwool cubes. That's what I always use.
Hey Lady :high-five:

I read about the scratch method, didn’t find the pliers tho! With my eyesight and clumsiness I didn’t think it was a good idea for me, but I may just have to try it on my old seeds. Thank you for that tho!

I’m impatient too - I always tap too! It works, so I keep doing it. :cheesygrinsmiley: I’ve only used the rockwool once before, but I remembered how easy it was.
So good to see you in this slow moving journal! :passitleft:

:hug::hug::hug:Tappin’ Granny Hugs!:hug::hug::hug:
:theband:

Hmmm… I have a problem, and a solution.

I tested the heat in the tent from the MH/HPS lights on, just a bit on the lowest setting, which is 50%, or 300w. I kept thinking it said 250/400/600. But once again, me old brain thunked wrong. It is 50%, 75%, or 100%. Regardless, I added an in-line fan and some ducting to pull fresh air in and blow the hot air out the other side and I tested the tent. It very quickly got into the low 80’s. That’s too hot and I can only imagine cranking it up would cook the girls in this little 2’x4’x5’ tent. And it really left me bad choices with trying to fit a carb scrubber in there too. I bet some of you knew this was coming!

I had read a lot of info, but I loved @7Dust2 ‘s

Growing 2x2 With ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro​

Journal testing these lights and I really liked them. I have old LED lights from 2012, but figure they are pretty ancient, so I did buy two of the ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro lights. They will work so much better in this small tent and my carb scrubber will fit so much easier at the top. Thank you @7Dust2
I’d put a link in but I have to figure out how again!

I will try the MH/HPS in the bigger tent (5’x5’x6’), and we’ll just take it one step at a time. Maybe it will work in there. Winter is coming and that would sure help a lot! No matter what, I’m keeping my hps lights in my thoughts. I used them (and 1000s) in the entire open room where I’m now using much smaller closed in areas. I’ll roll with it. My title of this journal is going amiss, but I may still have a use for them before I’m finished.

In the meantime, feel free to give me suggestions on different lights in a 5’x5’x6’ grow tent in case I have to make hard choices there too.

That’s it! :passitleft::cheesygrinsmiley:

:hug::hug::hug:Warm Granny Hugs:hug::hug::hug:

Hmmm… I have a problem, and a solution.

I tested the heat in the tent from the MH/HPS lights on, just a bit on the lowest setting, which is 50%, or 300w. I kept thinking it said 250/400/600. But once again, me old brain thunked wrong. It is 50%, 75%, or 100%. Regardless, I added an in-line fan and some ducting to pull fresh air in and blow the hot air out the other side and I tested the tent. It very quickly got into the low 80’s. That’s too hot and I can only imagine cranking it up would cook the girls in this little 2’x4’x5’ tent. And it really left me bad choices with trying to fit a carb scrubber in there too. I bet some of you knew this was coming!

I had read a lot of info, but I loved @7Dust2 ‘s

Growing 2x2 With ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro​

Journal testing these lights and I really liked them. I have old LED lights from 2012, but figure they are pretty ancient, so I did buy two of the ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro lights. They will work so much better in this small tent and my carb scrubber will fit so much easier at the top. Thank you @7Dust2
I’d put a link in but I have to figure out how again!

I will try the MH/HPS in the bigger tent (5’x5’x6’), and we’ll just take it one step at a time. Maybe it will work in there. Winter is coming and that would sure help a lot! No matter what, I’m keeping my hps lights in my thoughts. I used them (and 1000s) in the entire open room where I’m now using much smaller closed in areas. I’ll roll with it. My title of this journal is going amiss, but I may still have a use for them before I’m finished.

In the meantime, feel free to give me suggestions on different lights in a 5’x5’x6’ grow tent in case I have to make hard choices there too.

That’s it! :passitleft::cheesygrinsmiley:

:hug::hug::hug:Warm Granny Hugs:hug::hug::hug:
If you get to a point you feel it's needed, you can request to have a thread title change. :)

I may have to do that. :thanks: Lady!:high-five:

I am looking at the ViperSpectra KS5000. I see that being used in a lot of journals. Says it’s for a 4x4 to a 5x5, which is the right size. Anyone used it and any thoughts about it?

I may have to do that. :thanks: Lady!:high-five:

I am looking at the ViperSpectra KS5000. I see that being used in a lot of journals. Says it’s for a 4x4 to a 5x5, which is the right size. Anyone used it and any thoughts about it?
Good Morning Granny! 💞 💞 :nomo:

The Viparspectra KS5000 is what I have been using since I got back into growing last year. I am very happy with this unit, and I know there are many members using it. I don't grow in a tent, so I can't really comment personally on that aspect. I did an official product review on it:

Here is a review from member @Grand Daddy Black (once you get there and read the post, scroll down to the bottom and you will see similar threads that you can give a peek at)

There may be other member reviews here on site, I'll look around this morning.

The member customer review thread may have more, you can scroll or search through that here:

I am using the light in my current grow and the plants are doing great:

Good Morning Granny! 💞 💞 :nomo:

The Viparspectra KS5000 is what I have been using since I got back into growing last year. I am very happy with this unit, and I know there are many members using it. I don't grow in a tent, so I can't really comment personally on that aspect. I did an official product review on it:

Here is a review from member @Grand Daddy Black (once you get there and read the post, scroll down to the bottom and you will see similar threads that you can give a peek at)

There may be other member reviews here on site, I'll look around this morning.

The member customer review thread may have more, you can scroll or search through that here:

I am using the light in my current grow and the plants are doing great:

Hey Lady! :high-five:

:thanks: For the links so I can do my homework! Gosh, your ladies look STUNNING! They are just packing on the buds for you. Hard to believe that image is only 3 plants! Yours was definitely where I saw one of these lights in action, but I will be reading the reviews for sure. No need to look any further for me, you sent everything I needed! I love product reviews where you can see exactly how the light performed. Again, thank you darlin’!

I had a grow with a KS5000 in my 4.5 x 4.5 tent. It went very well. I also run XS1500 Pro's. Given the choice I'd run 4 XS1500 Pro's for the ability to adjust over 4 plants which is just how I plan to grow. Both lights are super!

Hey Otter! :high-five:

:thanks: For your input! Love hearing you used it in a similar size tent and that it went very well. Hmmm :scratchinghead: scratching my head now on these choices. It would be great to be able to change some to higher or lower, depending on the size/height of various strains. Now ya went and made me think! LOL Great advice… will ponder over this before I make any decisions. Again, thank you!

Update:
There are a number of babes in my rockwool (at least 5) that are just starting to peak out, both in the Fat Bastards and the Blueberry Cheese. :woohoo: Can’t wait for them to stand up so I can say hello to each on their birthday!

Meanwhile, two of the BC out of the four I put in pre-soak yesterday decided to send out root starts in the water so they went straight into rockwool while their two sisters went to paper towels. Thus, I have 8 BC and 12 FB in rockwool now, 2 more BC in paper towels. Total of 22 plants if all goes well. 100% germination is most likely for both strains.

No change on the Mataro Blue seeds. Not a single root start. I don’t want to mess with these seeds in any way, but I’m going to try to do the “scratch the seeds” thing when I try to start any more of these seeds. It may be just what my old seeds need to get out of their shell.

Hope everyone is having a SUPER GREEN DAY!

:hug::hug::hug:Lots of LOVING Granny Hugs to ALL!:hug::hug::hug:

:cheer:FIRST BABIES PEEKING OUT TODAY:cheer:

I see at least four, but the ground is moving on others… love it!
IMG_4696.jpeg

Blueberry Cheese has one coming out, wearing her 🪖 helmet. Come on baby, push it off!
IMG_4697.jpeg

And I got the new lights put in. ViparSpectra 2014 XS1500 Pro. I added both of them and wow do I like them. I’m only running one, but I did put both in. Each covers 2’x2’ so this should be perfect. I have it running at 40% and 12.5” to 13.5” from the seedling tops. The info said 11.5. I just want to be safe!
IMG_4702.jpeg

Here’s to new beginnings!:woohoo:

:hug: :hug::hug:LOVE NEW BABIES Granny Hugs!:hug::hug::hug:

:cheer:FIRST BABIES PEEKING OUT TODAY:cheer:

I see at least four, but the ground is moving on others… love it!
IMG_4696.jpeg

Blueberry Cheese has one coming out, wearing her 🪖 helmet. Come on baby, push it off!
IMG_4697.jpeg

And I got the new lights put in. ViparSpectra 2014 XS1500 Pro. I added both of them and wow do I like them. I’m only running one, but I did put both in. Each covers 2’x2’ so this should be perfect. I have it running at 40% and 12.5” from the seedling tops. The info said 11.5. I just want to be safe!
IMG_4702.jpeg

For some reason (I must have hit something) this text turned to html language. Don’t know what I hit, but I’m just going to post it and hope it comes out right! I can’t even add my usual granny hugs.

But here’s to new beginnings! WooHoo!
Don't worry about the code, the platform converts it when you hit 'Post'
BTW :yahoo:

Fat Bastard it is 2 votes and you and Lady C are the winners! Fat Bastard clearly nosed Blue Cheese outta the gate! For your winning gift, you get to watch Granny have babies - now that’s a sight!!! EEEEEK!!!

You sleep well. Yer girl does look like she is ready. Thank you much for checking in! :high-five: :passitleft:By the way, Rambler, what are the two plants behind sleeping beauty? Are those roses? No, they can’t be. Hmmm:hmmmm:

:hug::hug::hug:SLEEPY Granny Hugs!:hug::hug::hug:
Those are hibiscus plants. Sleeping beauty....that's funny. Pouchie was a rescue. She turned 20 years young last March.

Back
Top Bottom