Gold from the 1970's

I remember the first time I enjoyed Colombian Gold. 1980 or so, 2 friends came from New Orleans to pick me up for a 3 day trip in the quarter.
They had a bag of yellowish gold looking bud, longer slender bud.
We planned to trip but smoked first and that was and still is the finest weed I have ever experienced, hands down! We had access to Jamaican, Maui wowi, black african(this strain is indescribable and incredibly potent) real skunk etc however that Colombia gold is what I have been searching for. I have never had it since, in any way.
I am attempting to produce something very similar however these things take time.
All the best

This may sound strange however I enjoy growing as much as the outcome. Learning all aspects of proper cultivation, different genos, phenos, how the environment affects the outcome, fully. I occasionally dream of being able to cross breed my own, and I know success would be obtainable. The golds are in a class of their own when speaking of effect.

My Colombian experience was just so so, with the gold being not so great. Caffeine type high. The green lumbo was the best.

That was late seventies. I am growing some Acapulco Gold now from Hippie Genetics and the plants are stunted but I will get something at least.

My best was in '74 and was maybe gold or brownish, even a bit red? No green in it at all. Pretty sure it was not lumbo and might have been Mexican. Lumbo had that incense taste and this did not have it.

The Colombian Gold plants I am 'growing' from Hippie Genetics are so stunted that I may not get anything. I doubt I will get to make even a seed from the plants. The are like a inch or two tall in flower. All the seeds I got from them were weak during germination. The Panama Red were the strongest and even then, they are not vigorous at all.

Agreed entirely! I was very fortunate to have had the connect for some fine gold & red that was comparable to some of today's best. Colombian or Mexican, who knows (mine came through Jamaica). It was even better than the Sensimilla or Thai available in the day and with unique energy & superb tastes too. Unfortunately, there was allot of bogus gold around (NYC), usually blonder and less dense. Although many paid for it. not everybody knew the real deal.
I grew up during the seventies, good Acapulco Gold was one of the desired strains along with the Panama Red and Columbian Gold. We were also getting some absolutely KILLER Humboldt county sensy, I mean it was dream weed as far as taste and it packed a wallop, bright green with bright red hairs, it was like Christmas when some came in.

These days all I hear is " we have stronger weed than yall did back then" but this is not necessarily the case.
70s and 80s we had very exotic strains that just are not available today such as aforementioned black African, China ball hash, regular hash (no opium), skunk that would really smell a place up, purple Jamaican, incredible lime green stuff, don't remember the name, and more.
I believe that since it is fairly legal the growing conditions and studies have produced more of the really good genetics, and lost some of the best.
I can say with absolute confidence that we had better herb, it was just more difficult and expensive to acquire all of the time, it wasn't as available.
In 1980 $60.00 for a quarter was a LOT to pay but certainly worth it considering $20 was normal for a quarter of Christmas tree sinsemilla.
I sense a business venture!!!!

These days all I hear is " we have stronger weed than yall did back then" but this is not necessarily the case.
70s and 80s we had very exotic strains that just are not available today such as aforementioned black African, China ball hash, regular hash (no opium), skunk that would really smell a place up, purple Jamaican, incredible lime green stuff, don't remember the name, and more.
I believe that since it is fairly legal the growing conditions and studies have produced more of the really good genetics, and lost some of the best.
I can say with absolute confidence that we had better herb, it was just more difficult and expensive to acquire all of the time, it wasn't as available.
In 1980 $60.00 for a quarter was a LOT to pay but certainly worth it considering $20 was normal for a quarter of Christmas tree sinsemilla.
I sense a business venture!!!!
You are correct, I like the new strains also but we had stuff freely coming in from all over the world LOTS of great hash, big pungent buds and even opium, which tasted great when smeared on a paper with some killer bud. I also remember getting weed like that for $20 bucks that we called four finger bags, always several grams over an ounce, no scales needed. The 70's are like a dream now though, it's good to talk to others from back in the day, lots of great stories.

Yes indeed, actually we didn't really use scales, we eyeballed it unless it was exotic. 1 joint 2 bucks or 3 for 5 is how we made money as youngsters. Can you imagine rolling up a pound nowadays and walking down the street selling joints?!! It was fun! Of course there were larger amounts sold but we were young, kids, selling a pound a day, or more, in joints and larger amounts on the side was a really good way to make money at that age. Best part was free weed.
You are correct, today's weed is good but something is definitely missing, the high is NOT the same. The closest I have come is with jack herer and I grew it. Recently I grew some northern lights and it is very good but still not like the northern lights we used to get.
Selective breeding, lowering the natural amounts of certain cannabinoids and eliminating some altogether, changes the natural order of things creating an unnatural effect, similar but different such as MDMA, the sassafras oil used to process it became difficult to acquire hence something else is used, and the white lady, Ether was used but became hard to get so something else was used.
I'm sure that these things still exist, somewhere, if you have enough money however I cannot find Columbian gold seed or flower anywhere and I've been looking for several years.
Regards

I have an old packet of seeds from Spain, from about 10 years ago that contains Columbian gold and 4 other exotics. I tried to germinate a few but none popped so I gave up, assumed they were irradiated or something.
Is there a way to bring life back into older seeds?
I have heard that scratching the husk a bit may help and I am not sure if they were actually irradiated.
Are there any other methods??

Funny story, back in the mid 70 's I went with a buddy to get a lb brick of pressed mexican ragweed. Looked OK and weighed out correctly, before he bought it he took a pencil and ran it through the brick in several places (once in whie you'd find a rock inside). The pencil met with some resistace in one spot, but went through, so he bought it. When we got it home as we were breaking it up we found an oz. of hash inside the brick, SCORE!!!!!

I have an old packet of seeds from Spain, from about 10 years ago that contains Columbian gold and 4 other exotics. I tried to germinate a few but none popped so I gave up, assumed they were irradiated or something.
Is there a way to bring life back into older seeds?
I have heard that scratching the husk a bit may help and I am not sure if they were actually irradiated.
Are there any other methods??
Did you soak them in some water with a little peroxide in it? You can try to lightly scratch them and them use the peroxide, those are old seeds though.

Hey there, no I haven't tried that method. I will though. I have always stored them in a cool dark place so maybe 30% chance of resurrecting 1 from complete annihilation.
Thanks for that tip, I can visualize the peroxide mix working on the husks and possibly jiggling 1 awake.
Regards

I need a challenge, a difficult strain to grow. Most preferably direct lineage, not all mixed up.
However it is possible to create a growing environment that will cause certain traits to become stronger than the strain is supposed to be.

Hey there, no I haven't tried that method. I will though. I have always stored them in a cool dark place so maybe 30% chance of resurrecting 1 from complete annihilation.
Thanks for that tip, I can visualize the peroxide mix working on the husks and possibly jiggling 1 awake.
Regards
I usually use about 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water or so

I was 14 15 ish the first time I smoked Acapulco gold, the price of forty bucks an ounce was outrageous. I don't rember the buzz and I split that bag with a few buddies all I rember is the taste. after smoking whatever crappy brick weed that we got for 5 bucks ,ha a nickel bag and we'd roll up joints seeds an all in easy wider papers. so that's why gold was popular. my first sensimelia experience was memorable too how could anything that smelled so skunky taste so good, it's the taste I remember not the buzz. maybe being high for fifty years clouds my memory

Funny story, back in the mid 70 's I went with a buddy to get a lb brick of pressed mexican ragweed. Looked OK and weighed out correctly, before he bought it he took a pencil and ran it through the brick in several places (once in whie you'd find a rock inside). The pencil met with some resistace in one spot, but went through, so he bought it. When we got it home as we were breaking it up we found an oz. of hash inside the brick, SCORE!!!!!

Had a quarter pound with a piece of a barn and a big old rusty nail :rofl:, nail was like almost a quarter of an ounce. But qp's back then would be at least half an ounce over (good old days), guy I got it from laughed and told his guy who told him they had pulled out bigger pieces when weighing out the qp's. As there was so crapload of seeds in that brick weed back in the late 70's :rofl:

Sounds like a good time! However if you were lucky enough to get some real Columbian gold,,,,,,you would never forget it.
I ordered some seeds about 5 months ago, 5 different kinds, I believe I got lucky.
I am too young to know what a gold looks like while growing but this thing, supposed to be a purple kush, it IS NOT an indica.
All first calyxes, from each bud site/stem have turned yellow/gold. Leaves are very large but slender, bud structure is large calyxes and jam packed trichomes but not long like a kush, the Aroma is unreal, buds are not tightly packed, but are full, pistils are long and blonde/white.
I hope someone knows the look of a gold whilst growing, please inform.
1 pack was supposed to be mexgold.

A nail beats a piece of shit eh? I smoked some Acapulco Gold last night and tripped out. I have not been that high since 1974, half a century.

Northcoast AG is the brand. Might be just me but like I said, I have not been that high in 50 years. Meaning, like I took a psychedelic substance, other than pot. They also have a real nice Kroeng Thai line. I am going to pop their Cambodian Red tonight. Lots to do.

Back
Top Bottom