Gavita 1000e Series - A Doc Bud Journal/Review

I just harvested my best crop EVER of Lemon Paki under the Advanced lights. The next crop of Paki will be under these Gavitas and I'll run some Colombian under the Advanced I think.

Not a competition at all. Both lights represent the upper, upper end of the respective technology. Both grow amazing buds but the Gavita's are way more powerful and the plants are healthier in general, although I'm actually having a few mites. Not a big deal, no damage yet. They went to little webby tents on the distal petioles and leaves on the fans overnight, which means they're not liking the food and wish to fly off to another host. Thankfully, they made all those webs, cuz I wouldn't have been able to tell I had mites otherwise. I mean, I always have mites, but mostly I can ignore them as they don't do any damage, just a web or two now and then.

But these guys weren't just on one or two fans....more like 60% of them. It's unusual, but my helper did bring some nasty ass mites from some clones he got at the last cup event. One of the damn clones was male too. Anyways....

I sprayed them down with .5oz DeStress, .25oz WayAhead10x in 1.5 quarts of water. I pumped up the sprayer as much as it would take, held the leaves in my hand and blasted the bastards off with a strong, fine spray. Did the whole plant like that, stems and all.

I'll hit them with Brix in 3 days, about 1/3 strength, and do the same thing. Feed the plant, fend off the mites. I doubt they'll be a problem after that, but I'll keep ya'll posted.

Doc, SM-90 works well with those FONs (freaks of nature) - its mostly coriander oil. ;)

Well here they are! No sign of anymore mite activities and that's using just the normal foliar sprays, mixed a bit weaker and sprayed very heavy.

Picture_005337.jpg
Picture_004351.jpg

All is well. The lights are performing and I feel I'm going to do very well with these lights.

Beautiful flowers, long Cola's that will swell nicely. Those lights are doing a great job Doc.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Happy 4/20 DOC!

that makes a lot of sense as MOST LEDs haven't gotten past the performance issues yet. I've seen a few DIY LED lights people built do really well compared to other LEDs. But the ones that do best use a spectrum that is similar to HPS, about 3000k. Do you think if a LED is pushing a similar spectrum and intensity without the heat output it would do better? Sorry if that question is worded weird. I'm just a grower like you so I don't know most of the detailed information about LEDs.

But in theory: Light Output + Less heat = Better grow

Happy 4/20 DOC!

that makes a lot of sense as MOST LEDs haven't gotten past the performance issues yet. I've seen a few DIY LED lights people built do really well compared to other LEDs. But the ones that do best use a spectrum that is similar to HPS, about 3000k. Do you think if a LED is pushing a similar spectrum and intensity without the heat output it would do better? Sorry if that question is worded weird. I'm just a grower like you so I don't know most of the detailed information about LEDs.

But in theory: Light Output + Less heat = Better grow

I'm using some kickass LED's right now, The Advanced 650's, featuring 10 watt diodes, white spectrum, and all kinds of fancy stuff. They work very, very well, but they bleach the tops.

I've used other LED's from other manufacturers that are similar in quality to the Advanced and they also kicked serious ass....but still the bleaching.

These Gavita's are producing healthier plants from either of those badass LED's.

Picture_022111.jpg
Picture_021125.jpg
Picture_011245.jpg
Picture_010262.jpg
Picture_009270.jpg
Picture_008272.jpg
Picture_007300.jpg
Picture_006320.jpg

I'm using some kickass LED's right now, The Advanced 650's, featuring 10 watt diodes, white spectrum, and all kinds of fancy stuff. They work very, very well, but they bleach the tops.

I've used other LED's from other manufacturers that are similar in quality to the Advanced and they also kicked serious ass....but still the bleaching.

Doc

I'm getting more than usual white tops this grow. (5+ weeks 12/12)
Different levels of the plants, but not all tops. Very strange,
No rhyme or reason, except the 2 clones have a bit more than the 2 seed plants.

I was thinking of making little foil caps and put them over the affected buds.
I'm not sure why. It just seems like I should do something.

Doc

I'm getting more than usual white tops this grow. (5+ weeks 12/12)
Different levels of the plants, but not all tops. Very strange,
No rhyme or reason, except the 2 clones have a bit more than the 2 seed plants.

I was thinking of making little foil caps and put them over the affected buds.
I'm not sure why. It just seems like I should do something.

That's a really good idea! Running with your most excellent idea I'd want to try some shade cloth that lets in 75% in addition to the foil. That might be enough to do the trick.

This past grow only the Agent orange started getting a hash tip. I immediately bent that branch so the cola was more or less sideways. The hash tip stayed to just 1/8"

Moving the plant around can help, but it seems the bleaching occurs somewhere, no matter what. On this latest round, only one top was really bleached, which is good, but it is also the largest, fattest top of the whole bunch!

STill, no complaints. It's the best harvest yet of that particular strain. I'm hoping these Gavita's raise the bar.

Moving the plant around can help, but it seems the bleaching occurs somewhere, no matter what. On this latest round, only one top was really bleached, which is good, but it is also the largest, fattest top of the whole bunch!

STill, no complaints. It's the best harvest yet of that particular strain. I'm hoping these Gavita's raise the bar.

Then it will be time to run a 2 4x8s and do LED-Gavita-LED. Im convinced this LED hps light combo is synergistic.

Do you see any stress issues from the bleaching? Last round I had one plants tops get bleached pretty bad and the plant started seeding very quickly.

do you see any stress issues on my pics? No seeds. Just white tops from LED's.

Evening gents , about the bleaching, yes , me too. It's not too pretty, but it's harmless. It's only the chloraphyll not coming thru.on some buds. I've found it's not just the upper most tops but down alot lower too. This alone tells me it's more of a concentrated area of light from the LED's. doing it. Resin and gland head production continues in the bleached areas and seems to have no effect on taste of finished product. What you said Doc. about moving them around works, i've done it, but , in the end it doesn't matter much....it's all the same. This bleaching bothers me , so last grow i moved the lights right up to the top from the start , just to see how they would grow. It helped but in the end i still had a few tops , not many , that were bleached just at the tips. The bleached tips were under the Budmaster's footprint, where the tops were thicker...outside edges had no bleaching , but were also smaller and not as heavy. Anyhow , thanks for listening , have a great night Doc. and gang!:volcano-smiley:

I've considered a light-mover, but wince at the thought of all the gear in motion above the plants. Yeah, just my own paranoia (as I tend to over-engineer things), but...

I've considered a light-mover, but wince at the thought of all the gear in motion above the plants. Yeah, just my own paranoia (as I tend to over-engineer things), but...
If you do go with the better made Agramover. I used to have a light moved way back when and had 3 600 hps on it. I gave it away at some point and wish I hadn't! If you want to see the effects of a good agramover setup check out Ottowagreen's setup. He runs a cabinet with 3 of the 3w X 150 LEDs (p450 equivalents). I don't see any hash tips on his buds.

Back
Top Bottom