Fools Rush In: Newbie's Adventures In Suboptimal Conditions

Yea in end I can't complain I can't get bag seeds cause thats a needle in hay stack. I also have what seems to be good source where I can get 5 packs from good breeders for $60 after shipping. If I could I buy em n ship to both of u for cost of seeds n shipping to u. The 1s I got I gave 1 to some1 at work. They got me a quarter of some good stuff:blunt:It was a ty cause he saved me a lot compared to dispensary. Plus he has mentioned wanting to grow. Unless u get real weight like a quarterpound seeds rare. Even at qp rare. Plus from dealer so unless u really know they could say kush could be just good bud. Not big deal but still u kinda want to know if seeds really that. But yea gave it to him told him let it grow. He's just gotta do a hidden grow cause of wife and kids. But yea if I could I would fly around dropping seeds on the world yelling let it grow. I will try ordering then sending to u both. Just be price cause knowing me I will ship em in a safe :D.

Hahaha I love that most of us share this sentiment: that we would be willing to share with and gift seeds to each other! I'm the same.

Also @syenite you questioned to cloning cause not certain sex. Easy way to tell males have a ball with 1 to 2 pistols on stem. Females just pistols. Not bud like pistols just a little triangle. Males deeper it kinda stacks colas. Colas look stacked like almost a bud. But in between no bud pistols. I got a male mystery chemdawg but also a female. If really chemdawg be omg tuff to grow and omg smoke. Got it once in preroll and wash fire. Just tuff grow. Anyway I will try n take pics of my male and female to show. If crap pics then just show what I'm saying. You could flick lights to flower mode and 1st sign of it flick back to veg no issue. Then you can practice cloning.

That's really interesting - I never thought of switching to flower momentarily just to see the sex!

I think I am okay at actually identifying the parts - just haven't seen anything yet. The plants are around the week 8 mark.

I agree about bag seed or seeds of unknown strains, it is true you can get a diamond but yes, it can be a needle in a haystack to find. As I grow outdoors there is only one growing season each year so I feel less inspired to take a punt on unknowns and then have to wait a whole another year to try again The answer to me is to first establish what are the best strains/breeders out there to aim for. I am trying to take notes on what people are praising to make a (hopefully short) list of strains/breeders I'd like. It is very tricky, amongst the strains that I noted down, was Serious Seeds: AK47 & Bubblegum, but I was reading the other day where someone had posted that they thought the genetics of both of those were now no longer as good as they once were. So it is confusing trying to pinpoint primo top shelf seeds that are marketed now and relevant as opposed to being really good once upon a time. Humboldt, DNA, Snow High & In House Seeds seem to be often spoken of as top shelf. My hope with some proper top shelf strains that I can reverse out a few and make a whole bunch of seeds so I don't have to struggle to get some. It'd be great to do a Jonny Appleseed and drop them all around the country! Cheers. :hookah:

Yup, I feel you on all the uncertainty and unknown. I don't think that one can be guaranteed anything, especially considering even if the genetics are stable, the individual phenotype isn't guaranteed to have all the traits advertised.

So, for me personally, given these limits of information, and the uncertainty inherent in genetics, the best move is to go with breeders with the best/most trustworthy reputations. And leave the rest to the cosmos, lol.

So keen to watch if you end up doing some reversals and breeding!!

Next time, when the plant is at least 3 weeks old, and you top it - put the cutting in a glass of water, and only let it have 10 hrs of light a day (put it in a box or cupboard). Within 2 weeks, you should be able to identify gender.

Next time, when the plant is at least 3 weeks old, and you top it - put the cutting in a glass of water, and only let it have 10 hrs of light a day (put it in a box or cupboard). Within 2 weeks, you should be able to identify gender.

Yeah, for sure. Because I waited so long to top these plants I totally forgot!

When a plant is mature enough, it will try to reproduce before it roots.

At 8 weeks, you should see pre-flowers. If not yet, odds are pretty good she’s a girl.

Ahh ok good to know. I will keep a closer eye out.

Also, I remembered that because the nodes were stacked so tightly in these plants, the cutting only had maybe 1cm of stem?

Pleased to share that I am starting my collection of "classics", beginning with OG Kush from @Weedseedsexpress!

The idea is a kind of tribute to the most influential cultivars from the early generations of modern herb. In my mind I've formed two categories of classics: the main landrace or landrace-derived cultivars (e.g. Afghani, Hindu, Mexican, Columbian, Thai, Jamaican, Brazilian, Nepalese etc.), and then the early modern cultivars (e.g. Afghani #1, Skunk #1, Original Haze, Northern Lights, Big Bud, Hash Plant, OG Kush, Chemdawg, Sour Diesel etc.).

Still very broad groupings, I know! But it's a huge genealogical network for my brain to chart.

And yes. Another seed order to add to the pile of promises that I hope will one day be fulfilled, lol!
Good old Nige, eh? Came through for you. Joke’s on him. ;)
Congratulations, buddy.
NZ may even have some 'landraces'?
As far as I know there are none. I will be glad to be corrected?
I was just wondering on this the other day. I would assume that if Kupe really didn’t pack any pakololo with him that he must’ve left in a hurry! There must be more to the story. If I don’t hear it soon I’ll be making it up, no worries.

Good old Nige, eh? Came through for you. Joke’s on him. ;)
Congratulations, buddy.

Thank you DD!!

I think about Nigel a lot these days. I curse him and praise him.

As far as I know there are none. I will be glad to be corrected?

I'm sure you're right. All of our plants would be modern imports or derivatives/descendants of those.

Pity. Just imagining an alternative past and those plants soaking up the intense sun and volcanic soil here.

I would assume that if Kupe really didn’t pack any pakololo with him that he must’ve left in a hurry!

:rofl:

End of a long day. Finally got home.

GF and I sat at the dining table staring at small red package.

We're both knackered but I had a gleam in my eye.

It was a good unwrapping.

I think a good present takes time unwrapping.

IMG_9031.jpeg

AND SO we have:
  • L.A. Amnesia
  • Amnesia Fast
  • Dinamed Quick CBD
  • White Widow (freebie)
  • Bruce Banger (freebie)
This was a pretty arbitrary order, lol. I didn't really know what I was looking for, and the history lessons came after!

Still, I'm sure any of these would be miles above what I've had the opportunity to try.

The CBD is for my GF who gets migraines, bad neck, shoulders and anxiety. And who doesn't like being high. LOL! I'm kinda more curious about this one than about the others, in some ways!

I think I might start with the White Widow. It seems solid, and ubiquitous. And then CBD next for functional reasons. I can ease my way towards the more nuanced cultivars. I'll probably pop during/after Desert's flowering stretch? Is that timing it right? And I guess that means booting the backup plants out of the veg box!

I'm sure you're right. All of our plants would be modern imports or derivatives/descendants of those.

Pity. Just imagining an alternative past and those plants soaking up the intense sun and volcanic soil here.

Yes no doubt, it would be fantastic if here in NZ we had our own real landrace strains to share with the world. Maybe one day someone might follow some moa back thru the bush to discover a patch of dank native strains growing. Good point there DD about the assumption of Kupe leaving in a hurray by not taking any with him.

:rofl:

End of a long day. Finally got home.

GF and I sat at the dining table staring at small red package.

We're both knackered but I had a gleam in my eye.

It was a good unwrapping.

I think a good present takes time unwrapping.

IMG_9031.jpeg

AND SO we have:
  • L.A. Amnesia
  • Amnesia Fast
  • Dinamed Quick CBD
  • White Widow (freebie)
  • Bruce Banger (freebie)
This was a pretty arbitrary order, lol. I didn't really know what I was looking for, and the history lessons came after!

Still, I'm sure any of these would be miles above what I've had the opportunity to try.

The CBD is for my GF who gets migraines, bad neck, shoulders and anxiety. And who doesn't like being high. LOL! I'm kinda more curious about this one than about the others, in some ways!

I think I might start with the White Widow. It seems so ubiquitous. And then CBD next for functional reasons. I can ease my way towards the more nuanced cultivars. I'll probably pop during/after Desert's flowering stretch? Is that timing it right? And I guess that means booting the backup plants out of the veg box!
Good on you. That looks great, you should both be feeling pleased as punch for the success of that order coming thru, definitely, really encouraging to see! :slide:

How's the new vape going? You've inspired me to look into them now I have got over my previous aversion to a torch vape, they look really good and there are lots of good mentions and reviews.

Good on you. That looks great, you should both be feeling pleased as punch for the success of that order coming thru, definitely, really encouraging to see! :slide:

How's the new vape going? You've inspired me to look into them now I have got over my previous aversion to a torch vape, they look really good and there are lots of good mentions and reviews.

Thank you Stunger :Namaste:

How do you like the White Widow my friend? I really look forward to trying it.

The new vape is awwwsum! I've been able to get pretty large hits off it and it works a charm.

Although I also had my first misfire. Forgot to let it cool so no click. Held the torch to it for a while and then realised what I'd done. Too late though. Had combusted all the herb, lol. Stoner stuff. :laughtwo:

Thank you Stunger :Namaste:

How do you like the White Widow my friend? I really look forward to trying it.

The new vape is awwwsum! I've been able to get pretty large hits off it and it works a charm.

Although I also had my first misfire. Forgot to let it cool so no click. Held the torch to it for a while and then realised what I'd done. Too late though. Had combusted all the herb, lol. Stoner stuff. :laughtwo:
It is hard to offer a good opinion on the White Widow, my current 3 strains are the only ones I can compare it to. All the great bud I sampled over the years I either didn't know what the strain was or didn't pay a lot of attention because I was sampling it on a small number of visits to the brown cafes of Amsterdam. But even if I hadn't knowingly tried it I would probably select WW just because of it's legendary status, now I just need to identify the other legends that are still available so I can start to develop some strain experience!

I'm reading more and more stuff, good stuff on that vape. So it's really pleasing that you are finding it excellent too. :bongrip:

It is hard to offer a good opinion on the White Widow, my current 3 strains are the only ones I can compare it to. All the great bud I sampled over the years I either didn't know what the strain was or didn't pay a lot of attention because I was sampling it on a small number of visits to the brown cafes of Amsterdam. But even if I hadn't knowingly tried it I would probably select WW just because of it's legendary status, now I just need to identify the other legends that are still available so I can start to develop some strain experience!

I'm reading more and more stuff, good stuff on that vape. So it's really pleasing that you are finding it excellent too. :bongrip:

Yes, absolutely. And going back to your earlier message, I also wonder about how divergent or 'diluted' some of the older genetics have gotten.

Haha yes do try the vape! As someone who would still do a buckie ("gravity bong") if it were presented to me, and who still loves a hit that goes straight through the ceiling of my psyche, this has certainly been the best compromise of the worlds (flavour, strength, subtlety) I've found thus far.

Yes, absolutely. And going back to your earlier message, I also wonder about how divergent or 'diluted' some of the older genetics have gotten.
That's the thing, which of today's legendary strains are still as good or better than their historical reputation, and which are now 'diluted'.

That's the thing, which of today's legendary strains are still as good or better than their historical reputation, and which are now 'diluted'.

I don't think one could ever amass enough anecdotal evidence to know with absolute certainty. But unfortunately anecdotes shared by word-of-mouth are the only thing most of us have access to!

Until genomic sequencing of different plants becomes more common, or until the results of it become more accessible, I don't know how we would ever know for sure.

You do have companies like Phylos who are starting to collect this kind of data. But it will be a while before we see the downstream impact!

End of week 8

Training wheels are off! Adjusting for final positions...

Also a little bit of defol...

IMG_9039.jpeg

IMG_9041.jpeg

IMG_9042.jpeg

I pulled her out again shortly after for more supercropping. Especially the top two branches, which I need to keep down as much as possible!

It was much easier thanks to this nifty implement:

IMG_9043.jpg

That's all for now!

I've had some wider reflections about my training approach this grow. I will probably write another post about that soon.

Hope you all are well.

:green_heart:

I agree about bag seed or seeds of unknown strains, it is true you can get a diamond but yes, it can be a needle in a haystack to find. As I grow outdoors there is only one growing season each year so I feel less inspired to take a punt on unknowns and then have to wait a whole another year to try again The answer to me is to first establish what are the best strains/breeders out there to aim for. I am trying to take notes on what people are praising to make a (hopefully short) list of strains/breeders I'd like. It is very tricky, amongst the strains that I noted down, was Serious Seeds: AK47 & Bubblegum, but I was reading the other day where someone had posted that they thought the genetics of both of those were now no longer as good as they once were. So it is confusing trying to pinpoint primo top shelf seeds that are marketed now and relevant as opposed to being really good once upon a time. Humboldt, DNA, Snow High & In House Seeds seem to be often spoken of as top shelf. My hope with some proper top shelf strains that I can reverse out a few and make a whole bunch of seeds so I don't have to struggle to get some. It'd be great to do a Jonny Appleseed and drop them all around the country! Cheers. :hookah:
Honestly I meant needle in haystack for seeds in a bag cause I haven't found a growable 1 in years. The random 1 us tiny white and not worth the time. Dispensary bud certainly no seeds cause at that price their rep is on the line. Find a seed people would complain but I honestly would be happy. The weight of seed is nothing so why complain about 1. Fickle Americans why the world hates us. U paid up but be happy with the gift the rest of the world can't have like that. Also I would gladly apple seed the whole world. As far as genticts all put it right it's tuff. So many breeders and strains researching takes forever. Not like the breeder will say it's crap going be 5 star original ak47 to them.

Hahaha I love that most of us share this sentiment: that we would be willing to share with and gift seeds to each other! I'm the same.

That's really interesting - I never thought of switching to flower momentarily just to see the sex!

I think I am okay at actually identifying the parts - just haven't seen anything yet. The plants are around the week 8 mark.

Yup, I feel you on all the uncertainty and unknown. I don't think that one can be guaranteed anything, especially considering even if the genetics are stable, the individual phenotype isn't guaranteed to have all the traits advertised.

So, for me personally, given these limits of information, and the uncertainty inherent in genetics, the best move is to go with breeders with the best/most trustworthy reputations. And leave the rest to the cosmos, lol.

So keen to watch if you end up doing some reversals and breeding!!
I have honestly let a plant go a week into flower a switched it back to veg it stresses it and slows growth for a week or so after. Still can be done. Early signs I took some screen shots from a site as example. Males you will notice ball and stacking in last pics. Females don't have that. Would take pics of mine and will just little blah. Had to move em to old spot for 2 days. In that time bottoms reverted to old issues. Got everything to fix and will explain on my grow page. Just wtf 1 went from 10 nodes to 6 cause died off. That area is poison in my yard don't know why.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-07-31-16-46-43.png
    Capture+_2020-07-31-16-46-43.png
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • Capture+_2020-07-31-16-47-06.png
    Capture+_2020-07-31-16-47-06.png
    754.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Capture+_2020-07-31-16-47-06.png
    Capture+_2020-07-31-16-47-06.png
    754.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Capture+_2020-07-31-16-47-28.png
    Capture+_2020-07-31-16-47-28.png