Fools Rush In: Newbie's Adventures In Suboptimal Conditions

Alright sorry for going way back on thread by congrats on smoking your 1st grow @syenite. Even if it wasn't knock you on your butt stoned smoking what you grow is always satisfying. Also your new family is coming along great. Sucks you got an unwanted guest I know the feeling. Though my babies are outside 24/7 in their world. I actually may have a new bug problem now or something Idk. Will explain in next post.
Anyway I really hope the seeds get delivered I took a quick look on their site again lol. Just a quick look to help you out and dream of the buds I wish I could grow. After drooling and draining my phone battery I checked shipping info. Sorry bro priorities pretty bud pics lmao. But yea it's like 15 days under normal circumstances to US so NZ probably longer. Add covid makes everything take longer. I can order from a place close and take 2 weeks something cross country is 4 days. Normal shipping times are screwed. So say at best 15 days to US pre-covid I would think above now. Maybe 24 to 30 days and they ship to US way more most likely even stopping a place to repackage before giving to USPS to deliver. In NZ don't know if they have it also but that can add time either way. You said you ordered in June so give it 15 days they claim and add 5. Then add 5 for shortage issues. So it could be random delay I'm certain they don't want to ship twice to NZ if missing part of order. I remember I sold a Brazilian coin and yea buyer was Brazilian that had home in US. They asked if I could ship to Brazil I looked up price for shipping and wasn't worth it for $160 sale that was all profit. I know I'm going on but have faith especially nothing showing seized. Takes time now and I know it's tuff but hold off on buying more. God it's hard not to when u see the pics and read on it. They will come and you will grow them. Opposite of you will buld it and they will come lol. Maybe old joke no1 gets but screw it lol. Keep faith and seedsman backs it up. I just found local and was just scared cause not fully known bank. In US like I said weird ok to have seeds and sell just not across state lines cause federal crap. Like hell I can grow in my state why deny me seeds I can't get in state. Only 1 dispensary is starting to sell seeds so limited. Probably cause state lose out on 20% tax on rec smokers. I can get medical card but that's $150 and still $50 a 8th. Robbery bro. So to get what I actually need medically and is $300 plus a month minimum screw you. You want seeds though make it a issue. Cause state=legal I can grow Federal=no though they bop you but in court thrown out by state equalling wasting tax dollars. The US government is lmao. Why I still stress bout getting mine myself though I ordered on Monday and tracking shows tomorrow delivery. Still in Michigan though? Which I've noticed also since covid tracking jumps. Stuck in 1 place for over a week then jumps to delivered. My main point is don't stress till letter or opened package deliveried. They will come and you will grow them. Delays shipping and tracking wise don't stress.
You're doing great though and can't wait to see what you do with seeds from a bank. Especially strains you mentioned. Zittles looks so tasty.

Alright sorry for going way back on thread by congrats on smoking your 1st grow @syenite. Even if it wasn't knock you on your butt stoned smoking what you grow is always satisfying. Also your new family is coming along great. Sucks you got an unwanted guest I know the feeling. Though my babies are outside 24/7 in their world. I actually may have a new bug problem now or something Idk. Will explain in next post.
Anyway I really hope the seeds get delivered I took a quick look on their site again lol. Just a quick look to help you out and dream of the buds I wish I could grow. After drooling and draining my phone battery I checked shipping info. Sorry bro priorities pretty bud pics lmao. But yea it's like 15 days under normal circumstances to US so NZ probably longer. Add covid makes everything take longer. I can order from a place close and take 2 weeks something cross country is 4 days. Normal shipping times are screwed. So say at best 15 days to US pre-covid I would think above now. Maybe 24 to 30 days and they ship to US way more most likely even stopping a place to repackage before giving to USPS to deliver. In NZ don't know if they have it also but that can add time either way. You said you ordered in June so give it 15 days they claim and add 5. Then add 5 for shortage issues. So it could be random delay I'm certain they don't want to ship twice to NZ if missing part of order. I remember I sold a Brazilian coin and yea buyer was Brazilian that had home in US. They asked if I could ship to Brazil I looked up price for shipping and wasn't worth it for $160 sale that was all profit. I know I'm going on but have faith especially nothing showing seized. Takes time now and I know it's tuff but hold off on buying more. God it's hard not to when u see the pics and read on it. They will come and you will grow them. Opposite of you will buld it and they will come lol. Maybe old joke no1 gets but screw it lol. Keep faith and seedsman backs it up. I just found local and was just scared cause not fully known bank. In US like I said weird ok to have seeds and sell just not across state lines cause federal crap. Like hell I can grow in my state why deny me seeds I can't get in state. Only 1 dispensary is starting to sell seeds so limited. Probably cause state lose out on 20% tax on rec smokers. I can get medical card but that's $150 and still $50 a 8th. Robbery bro. So to get what I actually need medically and is $300 plus a month minimum screw you. You want seeds though make it a issue. Cause state=legal I can grow Federal=no though they bop you but in court thrown out by state equalling wasting tax dollars. The US government is lmao. Why I still stress bout getting mine myself though I ordered on Monday and tracking shows tomorrow delivery. Still in Michigan though? Which I've noticed also since covid tracking jumps. Stuck in 1 place for over a week then jumps to delivered. My main point is don't stress till letter or opened package deliveried. They will come and you will grow them. Delays shipping and tracking wise don't stress.
You're doing great though and can't wait to see what you do with seeds from a bank. Especially strains you mentioned. Zittles looks so tasty.

Appreciate those thoughts man, thank you!

Yeah. At this point I just need to be patient. My greedy feelings aside, everything is just fine. I can keep growing with bagseeds if I need to, for like a year or more even. Honestly, if I make another order at this point, I'd just be a spoilt brat throwing away good money! You're also right about Seedsman. It's absolutely in their interests to try to get these through to people. So gonna trust the process for now, and whatever happens, happens! The bulk of these processes are out of our control. Your advice is wise.

I also don't want to get too far ahead of myself - I've barely got a proper grow under my belt. I'm happy to take the time to slowly learn everything I can, and to stay humble!

Thanks for sharing about your experiences in a legal state. It's a good reminder that legalisation doesn't mean everything is suddenly perfect. There are big powers and big interests at play in these industries, and it's naive to think that those games won't have an impact on us as consumers and patients. Also, yeah, what you guys have going on there with the constant tension between state and the federal government is not something I have ever experienced, haha.

Hope you are well and managing the pain. Hope also your plants are good. Like DD said earlier, all the new growth is looking happy and let's pray you've gotten over most of the difficulties now!

Hola syenite,

I was doing some reading on the ProMix site and saw this. It might explain why the pH was so low on that mix. There’s a lot of good information there.

In general, growing media manufacturers add limestone at a rate which will provide a starting pH of 5.5-6.5. However, limestone is a granular form and must dissolve in the growing medium before the pH is stabilized and a true measurement of the pH can be determined.

There is some initial pH increase immediately following limestone incorporation (called limestone reactivity), but the long-term residual effect must be considered when determining the type and application rate of limestone for optimum growing medium pH throughout a crop cycle.

It is not unusual for a fresh made growing medium to have a low pH of 4.5-4.9, because the limestone has not dissolved due to the low moisture content of the growing medium's components. Depending on the moisture content, freshly made growing media may take a week to two months for the pH to rise to the normal range and stabilize. Therefore, in-use growing medium pH measurements are most accurate 7-10 days after planting and initial watering-in of the crop.

Hola syenite,

I was doing some reading on the ProMix site and saw this. It might explain why the pH was so low on that mix. There’s a lot of good information there.

In general, growing media manufacturers add limestone at a rate which will provide a starting pH of 5.5-6.5. However, limestone is a granular form and must dissolve in the growing medium before the pH is stabilized and a true measurement of the pH can be determined.

There is some initial pH increase immediately following limestone incorporation (called limestone reactivity), but the long-term residual effect must be considered when determining the type and application rate of limestone for optimum growing medium pH throughout a crop cycle.

It is not unusual for a fresh made growing medium to have a low pH of 4.5-4.9, because the limestone has not dissolved due to the low moisture content of the growing medium's components. Depending on the moisture content, freshly made growing media may take a week to two months for the pH to rise to the normal range and stabilize. Therefore, in-use growing medium pH measurements are most accurate 7-10 days after planting and initial watering-in of the crop.

Hola Felipe!

Yeah that's a good point about cooking/stabilisation time. The plants had already been in it about 5-6 weeks though!

Actually, what will be interesting is for me to pH test the mix again. One of the plants is still in the old stuff. I will have a go later today and let you know what readings I get.

Good tip on the ProMix website in general. Seems like some of the more established companies like ProMix and Canna have a ton of good resources on their websites. I will have a look!

Gracias!

Things were getting a little bushy so gave Desert a little trim, removing the fan leaves that were growing either downwards or in the opposite direction to the lights.

Before

IMG_8972.jpeg

After

IMG_8974.jpeg

SaugaView

IMG_8975.jpeg

The exercise did make me think about which sites in general should be kept. I will probably follow the same principles as I did with these fan leaves: if it's growing upwards or towards the light, all good; if it's growing downwards or backwards away from the lights, remove.

But we'll see when the new sites on each branch actually start developing.

Low and slow drying

Unrelated to the current state of my grow, I FINALLY made it through the entire low and slow ("lo and slo"?) thread that @DonkeyDick shared just before my first harvest.

After the first few pages I was hooked. Ended up devouring it like some kind of murder mystery novel.

I'm impressed and convinced. Sadly, I don't have a dedicated fridge. Hmmmmmm. I wonder what would happen if I made a little carbon filter for a mason jar...

Hmmmmmm. I wonder what would happen if I made a little carbon filter for a mason jar...
This is a teaser alert for coming madness.
Thank you for the public health warning.
Desert is looking less than arid.
Something about your lights, though.
I think it’s the lights.
Is there some anomaly in the spectrum?
I’m seeing fifty shades of green :rofl:

Using the kitchen fridge for the low and slow was great during the pandemic lockdown. It gets tricky when there are visitors. Life hack: Get the milk out of the fridge before you answer the door. Then you’re alright for cups of tea.
I will usually try to fit 4 x 30g bags of wet bud in the fridge from each plant I harvest. That gives me a little over an ounce for the yummy, fluffy, tasty jar - usually the last one left when the cupboard is bare.

This is a teaser alert for coming madness.
Thank you for the public health warning.

You guys are never out of the woods here.....

Desert is looking less than arid.
Something about your lights, though.
I think it’s the lights.
Is there some anomaly in the spectrum?
I’m seeing fifty shades of green :rofl:

Bahahah! Definitely the lights. She's a happy green.

Fifty Shades of Green - maybe that's what I should call the next journal.

There'd be more than enough contortion, cable ties, sex parts and high stress positions for everyone!

Life hack: Get the milk out of the fridge before you answer the door. Then you’re alright for cups of tea.

GOLD.

But also: what has my life become?

:rofl::rofl:

I love it.

Hey @FelipeBlu you may well be right my friend. I sampled the old mix that one of the plants was still in and I got a couple of normal looking pH readings in the 6 range.

I'd basically left that mix for dead but this has me curious again. I might take more readings before and after the next feed I give that plant.

I must say the laws are odd and definitely not in favor of the consumer or even patient in Massachusetts. People in Florida pay half and lower taxes. I'm concerned bout my own seeds arriving. Was supposed to be delivered on the 18th. Last update was 19th in transit late delivery. Yea I've had things arrive late but it never noted it. A concern especially since last update was from Michigan where seed bank is. 1st order was fast just a few days and yea should be in my hands by now. So some concern cause still a chance if USPS thought suspicious the could open it. They just put it in a bubble mailer with no return address. I'm hopeful if confiscated that the bank will back it up. By then though I would get almost no veg time in as I wouldn't get them till August vim tempted to order again as I have no other way to get seeds. Just be a hit in the wallet I don't want to make. So will wait 1 more day if and update for advice if I should order again. I know they are legit cause came thru before. It be the damn USPS saying seeds though legal no. If I do order again will use my middle name and have mailed to a friend's PO box just to switch it up. Just stresfull cause all I got for seeds.
As far as plants going now I think I was able to get pics of issue. It starts as a white spot. Then sometimes after days turns yellow or brown. Eventually it makes a hole where spot was. Sometimes it spreads and kills the leaf. It's odd but noticed baby grasshoppers on plants. Could they suck a leaf and cause it. I researched white spots and only get mold. Dad not mold

Attachments

• 20200717_153320.jpg
    20200717_153320.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200717_153359.jpg
    20200717_153359.jpg
    820.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200717_153551_HDR.jpg
    20200717_153551_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200719_145613.jpg
    20200719_145613.jpg
    915.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200719_145630.jpg
    20200719_145630.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
For you guys indoor growing taking clones sounds bloody great, can just endlessly kick off more identical plants and not worry about seeds. Unfortunately growing outdoors once a year that presumably doesn't apply.

For you guys indoor growing taking clones sounds bloody great, can just endlessly kick off more identical plants and not worry about seeds. Unfortunately growing outdoors once a year that presumably doesn't apply.

Damn you’re right. I think I lost track of whether @CraCraCarl11 was still gonna get a tent and some cheap lights!

If not then you’re absolutely right. Outdoor time’s running out for the northern hemisphere!

Abstract map of current node sites and their orientation.

”W”-like symbols represent nodes whose branches grow out left and right. “E”-like symbols represent nodes whose branches grow up and down.

The long squiggly lines on either side represent the bamboo stakes, and also where light drop-off occurs.

I drew it to help me think about what growth to keep for the upward growth phase. Still pondering.

80F8B296-DCA8-4BA3-A381-4BE750DCED83.jpeg

Okay, I know you guys are a day ahead, but a whole month?! You been in the quantum u? :laughtwo:

So what’s the plan? Obviously, you’ll prune the stems going away from or towards the light (I’ll call that backward and forward - are those E or W?).

And secondary stems that grow from the bottom will turn and grow up, but that will lag the top stem at that location, and will need to be trained parallel to it, but with some separation.

If it was up to me, I would remove all stems except the ones that come directly out of the top of the secondary stems.

Things were getting a little bushy so gave Desert a little trim, removing the fan leaves that were growing either downwards or in the opposite direction to the lights.

Before

IMG_8972.jpeg

After

IMG_8974.jpeg

SaugaView

IMG_8975.jpeg

The exercise did make me think about which sites in general should be kept. I will probably follow the same principles as I did with these fan leaves: if it's growing upwards or towards the light, all good; if it's growing downwards or backwards away from the lights, remove.

But we'll see when the new sites on each branch actually start developing.

Low and slow drying

Unrelated to the current state of my grow, I FINALLY made it through the entire low and slow ("lo and slo"?) thread that @DonkeyDick shared just before my first harvest.

After the first few pages I was hooked. Ended up devouring it like some kind of murder mystery novel.

I'm impressed and convinced. Sadly, I don't have a dedicated fridge. Hmmmmmm. I wonder what would happen if I made a little carbon filter for a mason jar...
That looks so beautiful! The style reminds me of the way grapes a grown.

Have you ever grown bonsai?

And is this a style you created or have you seen in grown like this before?

Okay, I know you guys are a day ahead, but a whole month?! You been in the quantum u?
The little details never go unnoticed!

:rofl:

It was a long day fam.

(I’ll call that backward and forward - are those E or W?)

W!

If it was up to me, I would remove all stems except the ones that come directly out of the top of the secondary stems.

Yup, I'm with you there. I think I had this at the back of my mind when I decided to keep 3 initial nodes (rather than 2) after topping.

This means that, letting everything grow upwards now, I'm looking at 6 secondary stems. And I'll have another 6 tops from allowing each main branch tip to grow upwards.

I might need to start pinching the tips of each main branch to slow them down, and to let the secondary growth catch up!

That looks so beautiful! The style reminds me of the way grapes a grown.

Have you ever grown bonsai?

And is this a style you created or have you seen in grown like this before?

Thanks Tra! Lovely to have you stop by!

Honestly, I haven't seen anyone growing cannabis like this. But then, it's almost completely a product of the physical constraints of the cabinet. Most people don't need to grow cannabis like this, lol :laughtwo:! It's definitely costing me in veg time more than, say, a quadline would.

I came up with the idea based on the cabinet's dimensions, and also varying the quadline. Incredibly, @FelipeBlu informed me that there's a technique for training fruit trees, called "espalier". It's the exact same idea, structurally speaking.

Never grown bonsai before, although I have a fascination for the style. An easier way for me to achieve something similar without as much training would be to use a scrog/trellis net, placed "vertically" rather than on the usual horizontal plane above the plant. But it just wouldn't look as good. This current technique also allows me to more easily plan/prepare for the exact number of possible tops.

It's just way more fun than using a net. But who knows.. I may get tired of this "high touch" regime over time!

Back
Top Bottom