First Grow: Outdoor Autoflower Blueberry & AK-47 In Pots With Dr. Earth Soil

And I believe i read heat damages trichomes I wish I could cite my sources...but mines went from real green to a shit Brown burnt leaf color and smelled like hay

That's weird I dried my last harvest for three days in a metal shed and now with cure times it's tasting and smelling amazing and it did not droopy below 78 in the space also I had two fans one on low keeping slight airflow across the buds nd another just to circulate air on high. So I guess it just depends.

Thanks for all the replies. No fan is going to cool down the box bc the air temps in this house get as high as 87° so I'm just blowing 87° air through the box. I've given the buds a bit of a squeeze and they don't feel completely dry and it's been 48 hours so far so I'm trying to remain hopeful. In hindsight, leaving it hanging in the shed would have been a better idea.

I know that keeping the RH around 50-55% is ideal but I'm working on my own theory that if I keep it higher (by keeping the cardboard wet) it will slow down the drying process even with the heat, and that keeping the air circulation up it will keep mold from growing.

Of course, if I'm degrading the trichcomes with the heat then I'm degrading the trichcomes with the heat. On the plus side, it still smells really nice.

Here's a pic of my setup. The RH is up at 79° but that's because I had too much paper towel hanging out of the bowl. Good thing the floor here is tile bc there's a puddle!

20170803_103021.jpg

The newspaper is there to deflect the airflow away from the plant so it's not swaying in the breeze.

If this all goes to shite I'm gonna be pissed. It's bad enough to have to try to sleep in this heat but to mess up all that hard work would be a cryin' shame!

New thought: am I better off cutting it down and putting it in mason jars in the fridge??? Then maybe when I get home I can go back to the drying process?

She'd, sorry, but I have no idea. Only one grow here. I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring your ?? Above. But hey, I ordered from 420 and paid. They said two days to ship, but I have no email with tracking#.

Thanks tho.

I'm in southern California and it took about 2 or 3 weeks to arrive, can't remember exactly. Took about the same time for the CBD oil I ordered from them as well. Neither looked like they had gone through customs.

Off to Ziggy's I go...

Not sure I can apply Ziggy's methods at this point, as he puts his in the fridge immediately after chopping and mine has already been drying in high-ish heat for 48 hours (not like it's 95°!). I'm concerned about losing much more humidity from the buds in open-top jars. I'll give the stems a bend tonight and see what they tell me. If it was a bungled dry then it was a lesson learned (to check out the AC issues before you go on vacation!).

On the plus side, it doesn't smell like hay!

[Cross posted from my reply in KJ's thread...apologies if I've violated any cross posting rules :Namaste:]

Not sure I can apply Ziggy's methods at this point, as he puts his in the fridge immediately after chopping and mine has already been drying in high-ish heat for 48 hours (not like it's 95°!). I'm concerned about losing much more humidity from the buds in open-top jars. I'll give the stems a bend tonight and see what they tell me. If it was a bungled dry then it was a lesson learned (to check out the AC issues before you go on vacation!).

On the plus side, it doesn't smell like hay!

[Cross posted from my reply in KJ's thread...apologies if I've violated any cross posting rules :Namaste:]

No worries bud

I think I have probably smoked some stuff that was dried in worser conditions at some point in my life.

It will still be good, you might be done quicker (this stuff dried 2x as fast as my HK is).

I got back from a sweaty day out (101° was the high here) and the lower two stems snapped when I bent them and the buds seemed pretty dry, so I took them off and jarred them with two slices of lime for a bit of added moisture (all I had lying around). I put the jar in an empty cooler with a tray of ice dumped in for the hell of it.

Apologies for the shite photos, had to go with the flash as there's no lighting in this place either!

20170803_202604.jpg

The other branches still had some flex in them but since those buds also felt pretty dry I took the whole thing down about 20 minutes later.

20170803_211908.jpg

Lower buds in one jar, middle of the main stem in a second, and top cola in a third - all into the cooler. They'll come home in the cooler and then into the shed for burping and rotating for the next few months.

20170803_213503.jpg

I've got 62% Boveda packs. When do they go in?

You could either put the packs in now, or burp a lot and see if the moisture from the inside of the bud works it's way to the outside so it's more even.

Well the buds are much less crispy this morning, particularly the ones with the limes. I hadn't put limes in with the top cola but I moved the middle limes in with the top as the middle buds felt best. The lower ones are a little tightly packed so I will split them into two jars when I get home (only brought 3 jars with me - I didn't know that buds take up a lot of room!).

I'm a little more at ease this morning, but they smell more green today (not like limes though). Does that mean they're still too wet to have in jars or does that go away during curing?

where did you read about the limes? or was that your idea?

My BB smelt really green. Really really green. It has slowly subsided with longer cure each day. It's almost gone after about 5 days.

My HK still feels wet, but it's in paperbags all the way. Even with temps in the upper 70s it still has a lot of moisture. It's also 'bleeding' moisture at a slower rate than the BB did. Possible bag effect.

where did you read about the limes? or was that your idea? My BB smelt really green. Really really green. It has slowly subsided with longer cure each day. It's almost gone after about 5 days. My HK still feels wet, but it's in paperbags all the way. Even with temps in the upper 70s it still has a lot of moisture. It's also 'bleeding' moisture at a slower rate than the BB did. Possible bag effect.

I got the lime idea from some threads on curing dry buds. They mention various citrus, apples, and lettuce (which has no smell).

I'm back home now (77° in the shed, which is where the rest of the cure will take place) and I burped and weighed them. They feel pretty spongy, not crispy at all. I threw out the limes and split the branch buds into two jars so they have more room. I'll take them out again later and let them breath for 15 minutes or so and then put them to bed for the night.

I won't worry too much about the green smell then and hope it will fade with curing. Do you think the paper bag method is better than hanging? AK-47 is looking more amber so may be coming down soon so I have to decide which way to go. I might try either the box again or just hang in the shed as originally planned, but if you think one is an improvement over the other I'm all ears!

Have to check the trichs under better light tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom