First Grow Ever - Humboldt Dream 2024

It's been windy where I live this summer and I have given them enough cal mag to have strong branches so I'm confident they can take some strong weather now I'm just more concerned about the top 50% of the plant where the new growth is more sensitive and could snap I have string I can tie from the tree to the plants to my deck if it gets bad but that's what I got for ideas.
I never worry about outdoor plants, we have lots of storms and wind too and I can say I’ve never had a limb break without it being my own dumb ass that did it. However, we have hurricanes occasionally etc too and lucky enough to have space to bring indoors for those occasions. If I didn’t then I’d put close to a tree and loosely tie them to minimize damage as much as possible. I have lost a few to major storms, and I’ve had some I thought I lost that ended up recovering very quickly so never had to cry to hard. I’ll probably end up crying soon cuz I have no wood to knock on as I say this, oh wait - knocking on forehead now…

1000002864.jpg
I put the squirrel there to keep an eye on my broken branch I thought I was going to lose the branch but it got way bigger and now has the biggest buds on my plant.

I never worry about outdoor plants, we have lots of storms and wind too and I can say I’ve never had a limb break without it being my own dumb ass that did it. However, we have hurricanes occasionally etc too and lucky enough to have space to bring indoors for those occasions. If I didn’t then I’d put close to a tree and loosely tie them to minimize damage as much as possible. I have lost a few to major storms, and I’ve had some I thought I lost that ended up recovering very quickly so never had to cry to hard. I’ll probably end up crying soon cuz I have no wood to knock on as I say this, oh wait - knocking on forehead now…
Yeah I broke a few branches this year I think 3

Other thing I do for indoor to build strength in veg is reach for the tackle box and tie on some lures and weights near tops to help keep them bouncing and building strength, especially SCROG tops..

Other thing I do for indoor to build strength in veg is reach for the tackle box and tie on some lures and weights near tops to help keep them bouncing and building strength, especially SROG tops..
Next year my veg stage will go alot smoother. After 1 month I notice 2 of plants were potentially males but didn't pull them because everyone told me they couldn't tell yet but I was suspicious that they were indeed males and didn't train my females or top them at all until I knew for sure which took another month before I got a definitive answer and by then I missed a whole month of training and it was there second to third month that it happened. I pulled the males August 16th and stopped training late may so I only did 2 weeks of training and had to stop. I topped my plants when they were in solo cups and again after the transplant was successfully completed. So my plants only got topped twice and some lst after I pulled the males but I never got to mainline or do anything fun.

Sexing plants gets easier over time as you witness the patterns of what you grow. There will come a day you can tell way before the first signs that everyone talks about for sex. Some strains are harder than others such as landrace sativas but even those get easy once you’ve grown a few. In general, males have much more spacing between nodes and are more sparse in development even in early stages. But, I won’t just cull males I suspect, I keep them in a male nursery tent away from everything else. Best ones I keep for pollen and then will pollinate a couple branches of female in another nursery tent to make seeds :) fun stuff

Also, I used to do topping etc faithfully but came to my own conclusion that bending and LST methods work best for me and taking lots of clones to share not only bushes them out for me, but also provides more opps to share and educate others :)

Bill just a thought do they really need the support if the weather is good? My bamboo sections are 6 feet tall so they won't do much. If you have a video talking about the wire method I'd appreciate it. I never seen a plant without support so I'm not sure what's going to happen.
Good morning. :ciao:
In a prefect environment you can get away with a free standing plant that size.
Mother Nature isn't perfect though.
Not sure about where you are but the fall here can be stormy.
A little precaution saves a lot of heartache. :Namaste:
It would break my heart to see her damaged in any way.
Your call but I'd have something holding her in place if it were me.:Namaste::Namaste:
How is everything going this morning?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

It's been windy where I live this summer and I have given them enough cal mag to have strong branches so I'm confident they can take some strong weather now I'm just more concerned about the top 50% of the plant where the new growth is more sensitive and could snap I have string I can tie from the tree to the plants to my deck if it gets bad but that's what I got for ideas.
Just 2 cents , I use potassium silicate once a week to increase cell strength and improve her ability to hold up buds.:thumb:
300ppm once a week in plain water after feeding.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Not quite 😆 my plants are taller than the bamboo
Lol, that's what I thought!
still working on what I'm going to do for support if you have any thoughts please share.
I've never tried to support a plant as tall as yours.
I've had a few 8 footers in the past, but they pretty much took care of themselves. I raised some lower branches back up into the sun, and kept a few end buds out of the dirt, but that's it.
Outdoor plants are stronger than indoors, and can take a lot of abuse.

Just 2 cents , I use potassium silicate once a week to increase cell strength and improve her ability to hold up buds.:thumb:
300ppm once a week in plain water after feeding.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
This^
I would be concerned about that plant splitting unless you end up harvesting it before it’s finished to be honest with you brother

I watched my dad grow outdoor not very far from you in Tuolumne county for a decade

The weather can’t be certain here but it is looking to be a wet fall. I would take some precaution…. Even the 6 foot bamboo with string holding around the circumference of plant and bamboo together will help reduce splitting.

The look great and are capable of amazing things thanks to your work this year.

Mother natures is good at figuring out its way… but in my opinion we already influence Mother Nature to act different simply by sprouting the seed ourself instead of letting it drop from the old pollinated plant back on to ground naturally, by adding a fence to the garden and weeding the weeds, by using a grow bag, etc etc.
might as well keep the influence going and help support what you started.

And potassium silicate is a great tip.

Good morning. :ciao:
In a prefect environment you can get away with a free standing plant that size.
Mother Nature isn't perfect though.
Not sure about where you are but the fall here can be stormy.
A little precaution saves a lot of heartache. :Namaste:
It would break my heart to see her damaged in any way.
Your call but I'd have something holding her in place if it were me.:Namaste::Namaste:
How is everything going this morning?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Good morning everyone, today I will come up with something for the babushkas I'll keep you posted I'm going to make my morning coffee and come up with a game plan.

Good morning everyone, today I will come up with something for the babushkas I'll keep you posted I'm going to make my morning coffee and come up with a game plan.
Even a lose piece of trellace over the whole plant now after the bamboo will help the branches support themself by spreading the weight across the whole plant.

If you want to reduce the risk of total plant tip over in case of a crazy rainstorm, then that’s were perimeter stakes come in use with string or trellace tied from perimeter stakes to plant.

Just an update I took the day off yesterday and probably will again today hope everyone has a good day just not feeling 100%
Hey Brother take it easy for a bit.
Your health is important :Namaste:
We can chat when you feel better. :passitleft:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom