Fanleaf's Huge 42 COB Array Build Plus Other Builds

Now I just need the coin to build my 3x3 cob.....
If you wanna go solar keep saving that money lol. It isnt cheap. Im running both a 40 amp mppt and a 20 amp mppt controller tied together. Ive got my station in an old wash room in the back of the house.
420-magazine-mobile2080606971.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Subbed. Thanks for the great info here Fanleaf. You've definately changed my mind on lighting.

I've got a 2ftx4ft tent which I'm definately gonna stick some cobs in, I'm not sure how many yet.

A quick question, is there a significant difference between the vero18's and vero29's? Other than the price increase.

+reps

Subbed. Thanks for the great info here Fanleaf. You've definately changed my mind on lighting.

I've got a 2ftx4ft tent which I'm definately gonna stick some cobs in, I'm not sure how many yet.

A quick question, is there a significant difference between the vero18's and vero29's? Other than the price increase.

+reps
The 29's are far far more efficient. Lots more light per watt in the right spectrum too
Roughly 15-25 more lumens per watt in the photo spectrum. Dont sound like much but when your running 1 of each at 45w your talking 1000 per chip more.

Thanks, think I'm gonna go with 4 x Cree cxb3590 3500k. The tent is actually 2x3 not 2x4 :)
Good choice. The 3500k 3590 pushes about an average of 30 lm/w more than the 29's lol. So at 45w your talkin about 1350 more than the 29's per chip.

I've opted for mau5 kit from cutter electronics. The Cree kit is $110 cheaper than the veros including the driver.......sweet :D
Wow. Thats great! Cutter is a good place.

I love the sharing and caring here. Really soaring. But there is more to think about. Lumens or brightness alone might not be everything youll have to keep in mind when it comes to plant lights. different Cri and 'plant wavelenghts' like 90 Cri's higher Far Red for a quick example

mattgadient dot com/2015/11/28/looking-for-the-best-led-efficiency-vero-29-vs-cxb3590-vs-cxb3070/

Was a good read

Its from Nov 2015 and about the old Vero 29 Gen 2, the newer 29ers are way better on lower currents too from what i learned. But i really dont want to sound like anti cree or a Bridglelux salesman just because i own a couple. Hell no. Its just worth having an eye on. There are people out there using 90Cri which have lower lm/w compared to 80Cri which cant see disadvandages in their crops. This could be true and needs more research.

He even mentions the influence of screw tightening to heat antissipation of the cobs connected to efficiency which sounds interesting when you think about the materials of the cobs even when only a slight difference exists.

Another reason not to sacrifice efficiency of top notch chips due to cheap cables, holders, solder, thermal paste, heatsinks, bad mounting in general

If you go high roller efficiency style Its important to know what else CAN matter when we try to build a light for our own personal needs.

If you want to see what i build for a 2x3 with 8 Cobs from different brands i can show you. I wanted to start with 4, 5 or 6 on that space, but after hours n days of thinking and upgrading i came out with 8.

I love the sharing and caring here. Really soaring. But there is more to think about. Lumens or brightness alone might not be everything youll have to keep in mind when it comes to plant lights. different Cri and 'plant wavelenghts' like 90 Cri's higher Far Red for a quick example

mattgadient dot com/2015/11/28/looking-for-the-best-led-efficiency-vero-29-vs-cxb3590-vs-cxb3070/

Was a good read

Its from Nov 2015 and about the old Vero 29 Gen 2, the newer 29ers are way better on lower currents too from what i learned. But i really dont want to sound like anti cree or a Bridglelux salesman just because i own a couple. Hell no. Its just worth having an eye on. There are people out there using 90Cri which have lower lm/w compared to 80Cri which cant see disadvandages in their crops. This could be true and needs more research.

He even mentions the influence of screw tightening to heat antissipation of the cobs connected to efficiency which sounds interesting when you think about the materials of the cobs even when only a slight difference exists.

Another reason not to sacrifice efficiency of top notch chips due to cheap cables, holders, solder, thermal paste, heatsinks, bad mounting in general

If you go high roller efficiency style Its important to know what else CAN matter when we try to build a light for our own personal needs.

If you want to see what i build for a 2x3 with 8 Cobs from different brands i can show you. I wanted to start with 4, 5 or 6 on that space, but after hours n days of thinking and upgrading i came out with 8.

Doesnt change the fact that lumens (which is in the photo spectrum) lumens per watt tells efficiency of the chip. 90CRI and even 97 super CRI chips will grow plants just fine yes but they also put a little more light out in the portion of the IR area that plants really dont use.
CRI is almost useless IMO....If it was very important a hps light wouldnt be worth a crap with a CRI of about 20 right? HPS been doing a fine job for many years with it's 20 CRI lol.

If someone wants a little more light in the IR area then yes, a high CRI will do that but why? A 3000k 3590 puts a decent 4-5% in the 730nm area if I'm not mistaking.

Those who try to discard Lm/w as the known stat for efficiency do just that....try. The multi million dollar equipment that companies use to test total light output is the best measure we have.
Lm/watt is measured in the photo sensitive area (par) so is undeniable the 3590 is the king of the hill yet getting well over 210lm/w on some chips.
Just because someone with a 90CRI "can't tell the difference" doesn't mean there isn't one. How would they know? Even if it would have been 4 grams different on a grow how would they possibly know? They can't. If plants yielded the same exact weight 100% of the time then maybe.

In short. Many chips will grow amazing plants. But for those who do want the very most light per chip in the photo sensitive area the 3590 puts the most out at normal driven currents period. Everything else still needs research or is studied or guessed.

Yes, there is much to think about but trying to figure out a way that other chips are better than the 3590 takes a lot of thinking and theory. The spec sheets are out there for everyone. Those are the most scientific and most expensive tests done.

100 percent. I am just not into talking bad the chip or want to say another is better. In fact i think i am going to buy one of the top bins to make a silent kitchen garden light :) The lm per chip may be the highest to date yes, but IF the Driver situation is good/cheap there may be better options in terms of better lumen per buck and/or per sq ft with more chips. In smaller areas more smaller chips are definately are the better option dont you think? You get much much better spread in a small 3x3 or 2x3. You can do this with the 3590 too, but it would cost double or Triple and the efficiency saving would be a handful of quarters in couple years :)

I am wondering how long these photovoltaic systems last... We have a system in the family that will be mine someday. Maybe when itw 20 years old.

On an average cloudy summer afternoon itll generate up to 20kW afaik.
420-magazine-mobile1576897513.jpg

At 20 years it should still be around 15 megawatts
There must be more panels somewhere else though cause if those are big 225w panels thats a tad shy of 9500w. Or those are monster 500w panels.

Is that grid tied?
I cant imagine a battery bank huge enough to store much of that.

The picture is from the house, the panels on the barn are the one i was talking about. 100 years old pretty high roof on that thing with a hell lot of panels on both sides. The electricity is for the barn and the garages arround it and the main Part is sold to electricity company to generate bucks

The picture is from the house, the panels on the barn are the one i was talking about. 100 years old pretty high roof on that thing with a hell lot of panels on both sides. The electricity is for the barn and the garages arround it and the main Part is sold to electricity company to generate bucks

That is feckin cool. I dunno why but my city boy arse thinks that is so sweet.

Well as soon as I thought I was done building lights after 2 Cree arrays after a total of 67 cobs I jave yet 1 more to build.

Im gonna build a 5 chip unit for a 27 inch X 27 inch tent. Maybe 6 chip. I haven't quite decided yet. Got chips on back order but as soon as their here its on like Donkey Kong all over again.

Using my tiny tent to start some really old seeds. 42 year old seeds..
Ive grown to hate all my remaining blurple panels and dont want to use them.

Sooooooo, I gave up on page 11. I dig what you've done and as a double E I get it, but I've determined that you are:
1. An independently wealthy evil genius.
2. An independently wealthy evil genius.
3. An independently wealthy evil genius.
4. An independently wealthy evil genius.
5. An independently wealthy evil genius.
6. An independently wealthy evil genius.
7. An independently wealthy evil genius.
8. An independently wealthy evil genius.
9. An unmarried independently wealthy evil genius.
10. An independently wealthy evil genius with a very understanding wife.

I hope some of them will pop. How many mystery seeds u got?
Make some feminized of this old strain
Not really mystery seeds. They are all from original Acapulco Gold. I had 30 seeds. Im trying to crack 4 of them now.

Sooooooo, I gave up on page 11. I dig what you've done and as a double E I get it, but I've determined that you are:
1. An independently wealthy evil genius.
2. An independently wealthy evil genius.
3. An independently wealthy evil genius.
4. An independently wealthy evil genius.
5. An independently wealthy evil genius.
6. An independently wealthy evil genius.
7. An independently wealthy evil genius.
8. An independently wealthy evil genius.
9. An unmarried independently wealthy evil genius.
10. An independently wealthy evil genius with a very understanding wife.
Haha
Im far from wealthy thats for sure but I do work for myself. I have no employees simply because I have a hard time placing trust that others will take pride in items made that my name is on. I produce hand made electronics usually in the radio communications area. They range from simple projects to other hand made units dealing with high voltages of more than 3,600 volts DC. Those are the expensive projects that a simple mishap while building them will kill instantly. Voltages like that will kill you without even touching them because the voltage will "jump" to you if you get close enough. I actually enjoy those jobs because while im very careful not many folks will do it.
I have an amazing understanding girlfriend of 9 years and 4 childern 21, 17, 16 and 12.

... dealing with high voltages of more than 3,600 volts DC. Those are the expensive projects that a simple mishap while building them will kill instantly. Voltages like that will kill you without even touching them because the voltage will "jump" to you if you get close enough. I actually enjoy those jobs because while I'm very careful not many folks will do it.

I've seen the aftermath of a big capacitor discharging through an elbow. Not pretty!

I have an amazing understanding girlfriend of 9 years and 4 children 21, 17, 16 and 12.

You're a very lucky man!

Back
Top Bottom