Emmie's 6 Plant, True Living Organic, LED Grow Journal

The PSMB light parts have arrived. I have only included 1 of the 6 heat sinks, mounts and reflector holders in the pic. Now I have a new project! Its amazing how compact $500 looks these days!
That's great. There are 2 different versions of those 140mm heat sinks I have seen. You got the good ones IMO. Yours has the smaller thinner pins and there is a ton of the pins. The second version has pins twice as thick but half the amount of pins. Yours= more surface area. Yes, $500 sure does fit in a compact box of parts when you get the good stuff. :thumb:

Highya Emmie,

Looks like the best quality equipment. Can you put the whole setup together yourself? I put together a 4 cob fixture awhile back. It was fun to do, and it worked when I finished. Didn't seem complicated, just double checking and checking again. Didn't want to screw up something. I'm impressed when someone else can do something technical like that when they don't work in that field. Videos help tremendously. Cheers

Highya Emmie,

Looks like the best quality equipment. Can you put the whole setup together yourself? I put together a 4 cob fixture awhile back. It was fun to do, and it worked when I finished. Didn't seem complicated, just double checking and checking again. Didn't want to screw up something. I'm impressed when someone else can do something technical like that when they don't work in that field. Videos help tremendously. Cheers
Hi Bode...
Yes, I am very familiar with electronic assembly being an Extra class Amateur Radio operator since I was 14, and I have assembled a fair amount of radio and antenna projects around the "shack." This should be a snap.

Should be is the key word. I got home from work about an hour ago and my first task was simply to figure out how to attach a cob and the reflector base to the heat sink. I found pictures on the internet that gave me the clues that I needed, and with a little bit of fiddling I got the first cob assembled a few minutes ago.
You know me... I had to try it. So, I hooked it all up, my mighty single cob experiment, and I turned it on.

O
M
G

I am going to be a little blind for a while now.... that dude is bright!! I can only imagine what 6 of them are going to look like. Wow Wow WOW!

I already have the two power supplies mounted on the frame, because that was easy. The only slight difficulty is going to be mounting the heatsinks to the frame... they are slightly different than the original design and I am going to need to drill some more holes. No biggie... If it wasn't for a harvest looming in front of me, and another drying tent yet to assemble tonight, I would get it done very soon.
:nerd-with-glasses:

Hi Bode...
Yes, I am very familiar with electronic assembly being an Extra class Amateur Radio operator since I was 14, and I have assembled a fair amount of radio and antenna projects around the "shack." This should be a snap.

Should be is the key word. I got home from work about an hour ago and my first task was simply to figure out how to attach a cob and the reflector base to the heat sink. I found pictures on the internet that gave me the clues that I needed, and with a little bit of fiddling I got the first cob assembled a few minutes ago.
You know me... I had to try it. So, I hooked it all up, my mighty single cob experiment, and I turned it on.

O
M
G

I am going to be a little blind for a while now.... that dude is bright!! I can only imagine what 6 of them are going to look like. Wow Wow WOW!

I already have the two power supplies mounted on the frame, because that was easy. The only slight difficulty is going to be mounting the heatsinks to the frame... they are slightly different than the original design and I am going to need to drill some more holes. No biggie... If it wasn't for a harvest looming in front of me, and another drying tent yet to assemble tonight, I would get it done very soon.
:nerd-with-glasses:
I wondered if the mounting holes would be slightly different. The good thing is that you should be able to put 1 screw in the sink to the frame and just rotate the sink a bit to position for a new hole on the other side right? 1 new hole per chip wouldn't be too bad if that will work.

I wondered if the mounting holes would be slightly different. The good thing is that you should be able to put 1 screw in the sink to the frame and just rotate the sink a bit to position for a new hole on the other side right? 1 new hole per chip wouldn't be too bad if that will work.
yes, it is going to be a simple matter of making the 5 17/32 gap into a 6 1/8 gap. I think you are right, one extra hole on the far outer edge on each one and maybe a slight rotation, but not much. I will have to wait until I can see again though.

Update: I smoked some more of the test bud. This is some good pot. I have gotten a lot done tonight.
My vision finally came back, although the spots didnt disappear for a while. I smoked a couple of bowls to ease my burden and before you know it, I got some things done.
I built my 2x2.5 Gorilla drying/love tent, and satisfied myself as to what an excellent acquisition this was by doing pull-ups off of the top support bars. This is one sturdy little tent. I want to see one of their big ones some day!
Then, I sat at my desk and before I knew it, I was building COBS. I now have 6 chips assembled to the heatsinks. I also measured twice and found that the true measurement was 13 cm between holes, and I have marked the frame where to drill.
About that time my sweetie showed up and we smoked another couple of bowls, cooked dinner and now are enjoying life. It has been a good day. I hope your day was as grand. :peace::love:

Good evening Emilya, I did as you suggested and looked back through this journal for the tea recipes. I think I found most of them...I found a seedling tea, a mid veg tea, and an early flowering tea. I found mention of a high veg tea in posts 255 and 287, but can’t seem to locate recipe, is it the same as mid veg?

Good evening Emilya, I did as you suggested and looked back through this journal for the tea recipes. I think I found most of them...I found a seedling tea, a mid veg tea, and an early flowering tea. I found mention of a high veg tea in posts 255 and 287, but can’t seem to locate recipe, is it the same as mid veg?
yes, same tea... but I might have added some of my natural stuff at that time too...
Sorry I didnt get to the finishing tea tonight... I have been lazy. :) It is coming soon though.

I read True Living Organics by The Rev you put me on to over the week. Wow there's a ton of information in there that's going to be the center of everything when the components get here to put together the soil. I'll be using his recipe 2.2. It's going to be a fun trip to the hydro store soon. Thanks, this is just what the doctor ordered. I can see I'm going to be wearing this book out!

I read True Living Organics by The Rev you put me on to over the week. Wow there's a ton of information in there that's going to be the center of everything when the components get here to put together the soil. I'll be using his recipe 2.2. It's going to be a fun trip to the hydro store soon. Thanks, this is just what the doctor ordered. I can see I'm going to be wearing this book out!

I’ve been wanting to learn as much as I can about growing, and plants in general, as getting into growing myself has lit a passion under me, and now I want to do this professionally. SOOOOO I’m very interested in this book you are speaking of, and I am totally gonna give it a read! Thanks!!!

Yes, that book was a game changer for me. I had been researching out teas and organic growing for a good year before I found the book, and had not yet heard the term TLO. Reading his book pulled it all together for me, and gave me the courage to make the leap. I am glad that I did... I will never go back to synthetic.

Yes, that book was a game changer for me. I had been researching out teas and organic growing for a good year before I found the book, and had not yet heard the term TLO. Reading his book pulled it all together for me, and gave me the courage to make the leap. I am glad that I did... I will never go back to synthetic.
I'm pretty sure it answers the questions I knew to ask in order to move forward. Now it's time to gather, assemble and cook. Just in time for a summer grow outdoors. I hope it's as good in the ground as it seems in a pot.

I'm pretty sure it answers the questions I knew to ask in order to move forward. Now it's time to gather, assemble and cook. Just in time for a summer grow outdoors. I hope it's as good in the ground as it seems in a pot.
Be sure to check out your availability for already mixed and composted super soils... there are several on the market now and I am not sure if I could justify all the effort and space necessary to compost out a new mix of soil these days with the ease this brings to the hobby. I was just talking to someone about Sohum, a ready to go organic super soil mix, composted and ready for you to just add water.... and of course knowing about The Rev, compost teas, spikes, layers and zones, it is going to make TLO a lot easier to get into for even a modest tent grower.

Be sure to check out your availability for already mixed and composted super soils... there are several on the market now and I am not sure if I could justify all the effort and space necessary to compost out a new mix of soil these days with the ease this brings to the hobby. I was just talking to someone about Sohum, a ready to go organic super soil mix, composted and ready for you to just add water.... and of course knowing about The Rev, compost teas, spikes, layers and zones, it is going to make TLO a lot easier to get into for even a modest tent grower.
Thanks, I use Michigan Mix regularly and it works well. I'll check out Sohum now.

Wappa, Day 49, the beginning of the 7th week of flower.

She is almost there... just waiting on more amber at this point. I could harvest her at any point now, but I am patient and I know what I like. Test buds are keeping me happy for now.
Several of the plants come into the harvest window this week, Super Cheese, Ice Breaker, Trainwreck... but some still look to be a week or two out, and that makes sense with their 7-9 week windows.
I have started preparing my finishing tea.
It is a very simple tea, light on nutrients but big on microlife.
The two plants not yet in the two week window will get over this... microbeasties are microbeasties... and they will be put into productive use, no matter the stage.
Finishing TLO Tea
  • 1 cup earthworm castings​
  • 1/4 cup Fox Farm Big Bloom​
  • 1 tsp kelp meal​
  • 1 tsp molasses​
I will bubble this for 24 hours and then will give it to those who need it tomorrow.

Wappa will be getting only water. My 12 week plant, NYC Diesel will be getting dandelion and banana. Life is complicated at harvest time. Suddenly there are a lot of moving parts here, all going at different speeds.

:morenutes::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:

Back
Top Bottom