DIY-Become a DIY home grower Electrical Engineers

Great Video HD,

I cannot even imagine being that high up on the wires, much less the voltages he is working on.

They say you can steal power from those power lines by putting a transformer near them. I imagine a transformer big enough to be useful would be discovered by one of those dudes though.

What laymen don't understand is that if they did not use high voltage those wires would have to be 20 times thicker. There is probably not enough copper in the earth to do that.

I worked for a refinery for a bit.. I had to run power to a new substation that was 1000 feet away from source. I do not remember what the voltage was exactly now, but lets just say 5kv, I think that is what it was. Anyway, the three phase circuit needed 8 conductors that were 500 MCM (3.5 inches in diameter) with an aluminum shield. The conductors weighed 7.5 pounds per foot x 8 x 1000 (60,000 pounds or 30 tons) . The cable alone cost $49 a foot for each conductor ($392,000). That was to run one circuit and for the wire only. Then we had to support all that wire with hot dipped galvanized steel frames that are weather covered and trench out under a road and a bunch of other stuff. That was just getting a circuit to a building that had a lot of other expensive stuff in it. I had that one circuit but another fellow fed that same building from another source for redundancy.

To be honest that was one of the most boring jobs I ever had. I love to run automation and control systems for ships.

I cannot even imagine being that high up on the wires, much less the voltages he is working on.

Me neither...I don't have the big, brass cojones for it! :)

most of the linemen I know are bigtime heads, you cant tell me that you would do that shit sober :tokin:

My father's second wife, her ex was a lineman. By the time I met the guy he was running from a motor cycle gang for some drug debt and the IRS for back taxes. My dad liked the guy and put him up for awhile. I do not know what ever happened to him.

Great Video HD,

They say you can steal power from those power lines by putting a transformer near them. I imagine a transformer big enough to be useful would be discovered by one of those dudes though.

What laymen don't understand is that if they did not use high voltage those wires would have to be 20 times thicker. There is probably not enough copper in the earth to do that.

I worked for a refinery for a bit.. I had to run power to a new substation that was 1000 feet away from source. I do not remember what the voltage was exactly now, but lets just say 5kv, I think that is what it was. Anyway, the three phase circuit needed 8 conductors that were 500 MCM (3.5 inches in diameter) with an aluminum shield. The conductors weighed 7.5 pounds per foot x 8 x 1000 (60,000 pounds or 30 tons) . The cable alone cost $49 a foot for each conductor ($392,000). That was to run one circuit and for the wire only. Then we had to support all that wire with hot dipped galvanized steel frames that are weather covered and trench out under a road and a bunch of other stuff. That was just getting a circuit to a building that had a lot of other expensive stuff in it. I had that one circuit but another fellow fed that same building from another source for redundancy.

To be honest that was one of the most boring jobs I ever had. I love to run automation and control systems for ships.

actually Tesla did it using his body, he just raised the frequency, and if we went from 60 cps to much higher it would be a cake job to be an electrician but the cost to change it would be ugh...... :cool:

actually Tesla did it using his body, he just raised the frequency, and if we went from 60 cps to much higher it would be a cake job to be an electrician but the cost to change it would be ugh...... :cool:

I didn't know that. Tesla was an amazing man.

Tesla got his start in the USA working for Edison. In my opinion Edison was more of a business man than an engineer. See Tesla wanted the power grid to be AC and Edison wanted the power grid to be DC. One of the things I note about people is whether they talk about Edison or Tesla.

Edison died very rich and Tesla died poor and in debt.

I didn't know that. Tesla was an amazing man.

Tesla got his start in the USA working for Edison. In my opinion Edison was more of a business man than an engineer. See Tesla wanted the power grid to be AC and Edison wanted the power grid to be DC. One of the things I note about people is whether they talk about Edison or Tesla.

I agree, Tesla was a man with a huge brain and was also a nutjob like all the huge brain people lol, Edison was also a genius but didnt want to admit that there was a better way.

I hear Tesla I think of a videogame called command and conquer. They had an electric unit in the game Command and conquer 2 Red alert. Tesla soldiers when grouped together could wreak some awesome havoc. Funny how life is but yea I will read up on him when im @ work with some down time.

hi guys - I could use a bit of advice. I have a grow going off of a 15 amp circuit that is attached to other hall lights and outlets. It was a weak breaker that would always trip so I had an electrician switch it out between grows. I use tents so I had packed everything up for a little remodel.

So at the moment everything is working great. I run a 400 and 600 light off that circuit as well as a t-5 panel, a blowers and an assortment of fans. No tripping breaker - no reason for concern. But I have access to a 50A 220 volt line. I replaced my deck a few years ago and got rid of an old hot tub that used that circuit. The electrical wiring is still hooked up (but the breaker on the panel is taped to remind me to not turn it on). I'd like to and can easily route that wiring into my grow room to have a dedicated circuit to run lights (I am wanting to add a 1000w at some point). But this is where I seek advice - could I hardwire this to a box that could be mounted on the wall and provided me some outlets?

hi guys - I could use a bit of advice. I have a grow going off of a 15 amp circuit that is attached to other hall lights and outlets. It was a weak breaker that would always trip so I had an electrician switch it out between grows. I use tents so I had packed everything up for a little remodel.

So at the moment everything is working great. I run a 400 and 600 light off that circuit as well as a t-5 panel, a blowers and an assortment of fans. No tripping breaker - no reason for concern. But I have access to a 50A 220 volt line. I replaced my deck a few years ago and got rid of an old hot tub that used that circuit. The electrical wiring is still hooked up (but the breaker on the panel is taped to remind me to not turn it on). I'd like to and can easily route that wiring into my grow room to have a dedicated circuit to run lights (I am wanting to add a 1000w at some point). But this is where I seek advice - could I hardwire this to a box that could be mounted on the wall and provided me some outlets?

Yes you can. I'm assuming that there is a 50 amp breaker in your main panel that went to the spa? If so, you can install a sub panel in your grow space, powered by this circuit. The new sub will need the two 120v wires from your breaker, with a neutral and ground from the neutral and ground buss bars in your main panel. You can break the 220v circuit into 120v circuits at this new sub panel. Would be an excellent choice with lots of extra capacity.

Lucky man as you own your own home!!! If you have the space you could prob add some more breakers to your panel and ran another 15 or 20amp circuit 2 ur grow area. I say that so ur not sharing the amps with ur hall lights and such but i am sure that 50AMPS could run damn near everything for your grow room.

Hogdady is spot on again, would make for a great mini-sub panel feed. The 15 amp circuit is prolly maxed, the lights alone are drawing 8.3 amps of a max 12 on thaat 15, plus you have a blower and fans, the wires are prolly gettin hot and I would recommend you get that sub panel in there asap to relieve that 15 amp breaker (HD, are you sure yer not an electrician? LOL) Peace all!

Thanks guys. I knew I could put that to good use. I really want a new tub but it is not going to happen anytime soon.

Hogdaddy - I appreciate the input. It is a 50A on the panel so a sub panel sounds like it would work very well. Definitely overkill for a 10x10 room but if it takes the stress off the 15A it would be a safer scene - obviously.

Myzz - It is nice having space to play in but I wish we were renters sometimes. Having the freedom to move around is nice and a home is a huge anchor. But I can grow in the anchor so I'm not complaining.

I will do a little homework and come back with questions or pictures. Thanks again.

Thanks guys. I knew I could put that to good use. I really want a new tub but it is not going to happen anytime soon.

Hogdaddy - I appreciate the input. It is a 50A on the panel so a sub panel sounds like it would work very well. Definitely overkill for a 10x10 room but if it takes the stress off the 15A it would be a safer scene - obviously.

Myzz - It is nice having space to play in but I wish we were renters sometimes. Having the freedom to move around is nice and a home is a huge anchor. But I can grow in the anchor so I'm not complaining.

I will do a little homework and come back with questions or pictures. Thanks again.

50 amps into a 10x10 grow room is way over kill. But 1 50 amp isn't safer, IMO. It would be a much better decision to put two 15 amp or 20 amp lines into the grow room and run from them. Figure out what each piece of equipment needs, separate them to fit on two 15 amp lines. I think you will be much happier and a lot safer that way.

Prairie

50 amps into a 10x10 grow room is way over kill. But 1 50 amp isn't safer, IMO. It would be a much better decision to put two 15 amp or 20 amp lines into the grow room and run from them. Figure out what each piece of equipment needs, separate them to fit on two 15 amp lines. I think you will be much happier and a lot safer that way.

Prairie

Gotta disagree here. Using the existing 50a, 220v breaker as a subpanel feed gives much more flexibilty for adding circuits as possibly needed. The subpanel will have individual breakers for circuit protection, with the option of running 220v lighting, if needed.

subpanel.jpg

Prairie

I was actually assuming he would do the same thing. Run the wires for the 50 AMP breaker and split them into two 20Amp on the sub panel. That would make most sense so you could have one 20AMP for the lights and one for everything else. As far as renting goes I know what you mean. I like moving I just hate the process. Owning is more responsibility and If I was in a state I wanted to live in for 30years I would have looked into buying my own home. I think its going to be another 5-8 years before I consider moving and owning a home. When I get my place want to make sure it is somewhere I will love to live and a state with plenty space. I invision on wiring my whole house and customizing many things :)

Back
Top Bottom