CBDbud: Outdoor Soil Gorilla Glue Grow Journal, 2021

Good morning everyone,
Yesterday I decided to place these tender girls into their 1st pots.

So, I mixed up some soil and went to work.

Here's a pic of a root ball.

Not too many roots, but as you can see, some have found their way out. And in the zoomed in close-up, you can see plenty of those fine hairs completely outside of the root ball. So yeah, it's time.

I like using Dixie cup equivalents that I get at my local Hydro Shop.

And a close-up never hurts.

I've also decided to germinate 1 Cream & Cheese CBD been and 1 Do-Si-Dos Cookies. This is because of the 2 Gorilla Glue weaklings I had. Their roots were tiny and the seedlings were just sitting still, refusing to grow. No time for that! On to something new. And besides, it'll be fun to see how these strains grow as I've never attempted these before. I checked on them this morning and they are moving slower than my previous seeds in this grow. I feel this is because we are now past the New Moon phase. This may be something for people to keep in mind if you have lazy or slow germinating seeds.

Fun, fun, fun... :smokin:

LeafCloud.gif
Happy St Patty's Day to All
LeafCloud.gif

I'll be toking up today much earlier on this wonderful green colored day. I'm embracing the luck of the Irish for my grow this season, and using this as a simple reason to get high, of course. :laugh:

Update on my grow:
On Saturday I put two beens (1 Cream & Cheese CBD and 1 Do-Si-Dos Cookies) into wet paper towels to replace the two Gorilla Glue culls I had. These new seeds were not ready to put into my seedling tray until Tuesday. That's 72 hrs! Now I realize that many will say something like: "That's just normal." and I get that. In fact, I've done that too; always thinking this is simply nature taking her time and doing her thing. And yet, when I use the phases of the moon properly, I get my beans to pop in just 18 to 24 hrs.

This, to me, is really something special because it demonstrates that there is a lot more potential if we work in concert with mother nature. And there is something meaningful to be gained by doing this as well. It's my position that the longer a seed sets in a wet medium, be it paper towels, rock wool, soil or whatever, there is more of a chance the seed will fail. Sometimes they're too wet and drown, or too dry - not triggering the hormone response needed to germinate. And I have had seeds sit there until they rot... a major bummer indeed.

If you're reading this, I invite you to give this a try the next time you want to pop some beens and see for yourself... "The proof is in the pudding".

Until next time... :smokin:

Hello everyone,
It's been 3 days since I posted last and thought I'd better give ya'll an update on things.

If you'll remember, I germinated 1 Do-Si-Dos Cookies and 1 Cream & Cheese CBD seeds. It took 3 whole days just to get the root to pop out of the shell. After placing into soil, it's taken another 4 days for them to sprout up from the soil. 7 days to get to here:

That's 3x's+ longer to germinate (pop a root out of shell) and 2x's longer to emerge from the soil. They're also moving slower than the beans I popped midway through the waning moon phase. While I'm certain these two will do just fine, the 4 Gorilla Glue that I popped during the waning moon are moving along at a better pace, as U can see here:

These two seeds have progressed at the same rate as all of my other germinating efforts, when I did NOT observe the proper phase of the moon, so I don't believe that this slower behavior is simply limited to these two strains.

Cool beans... :smokin:

Good morning everyone,
I kinda' disappeared for a while... Live's been busy for me. Anyway, my girls are coming along good. I am quite amazed at the stark difference between the plant sizes. All that were germinated during the waning moon are so much bigger than the ones that were germinated during the waxing moon. Counting from the day I put beans into wet paper towels there's only 11 days difference between the two groups. On day 11, I put the Gorilla Glue girls into Dixie Cups. It's now day 16 for the beans placed into wet paper towels during the waxing moon and they're still not ready for their Dixie Cups yet. Plus, they're just not jumping up as fast either.

Take a look at my Gorilla Glue:

Now here's my Do-Si-Dos Cookies:

The roots on all sprouts germinated during waxing moon are simply not moving as fast. This is how I gage when they're ready for Dixie Cups.

Learning and growing all the time... :smokin:

Hello again,
As per @Emilya 's recommendation, I have decided to use GeoFlora ferts. However, NOthing on their site, feeding chart or back of the bag is giving me the info that I need for an OUTDOOR grow. Here is what I've sent to GeoFlora via their site:

"I need guidance on how to use your products for an outdoor grow of cannabis. Your feeding chart only covers 12 weeks for the entire grow (veg & bloom) which is understandable for an INDOOR grow. However, outdoor grows are double that... so, 12 weeks just for veg.

1) Do I need to flush during the 12 - 16 weeks of veg?
2) Do I need to flush during the 8 - 12 weeks of bloom? (other than the last week or so already listed in your feeding chart)

Also, I need something clarified. If I "amend" the soil, as per your instructions on the bag and throughout your website, how long will it last? 2 weeks and then start "top dressing"? Longer? If so, please provide info. I need answers for both veg AND bloom."

I also sent them a smaller, more generalized version of this about a week ago, maybe more. No answer, of course.

Anyone here have experience with this product in an outdoor grow that can lend a hand?

Much appreciated... :smokin:

Hello again,
As per @Emilya 's recommendation, I have decided to use GeoFlora ferts. However, NOthing on their site, feeding chart or back of the bag is giving me the info that I need for an OUTDOOR grow. Here is what I've sent to GeoFlora via their site:

"I need guidance on how to use your products for an outdoor grow of cannabis. Your feeding chart only covers 12 weeks for the entire grow (veg & bloom) which is understandable for an INDOOR grow. However, outdoor grows are double that... so, 12 weeks just for veg.

1) Do I need to flush during the 12 - 16 weeks of veg?
2) Do I need to flush during the 8 - 12 weeks of bloom? (other than the last week or so already listed in your feeding chart)

Also, I need something clarified. If I "amend" the soil, as per your instructions on the bag and throughout your website, how long will it last? 2 weeks and then start "top dressing"? Longer? If so, please provide info. I need answers for both veg AND bloom."

I also sent them a smaller, more generalized version of this about a week ago, maybe more. No answer, of course.

Anyone here have experience with this product in an outdoor grow that can lend a hand?

Much appreciated... :smokin:
Have you seen this page in the blog? Soil Season: Amending Your No-Till Garden | GEOFLORA Organic Dry Nutrients

Thank you @Emilya. Yes I have. And unless I'm missing something, it doesn't address my Q on how long amending the soil lasts. I'm assuming we're on the same page that amending in this context means to mix into bagged soil like one would if they were adding bat guano, perlite or whatever and then filling nursery posts. And, of course, they're talking about a "No-Till" garden in that link, so there's no mixing or digging (not very deep at least).

Anyone out there with "outdoor" experience with this stuff? Sure wish GeoFlora would answer. Perhaps after my harvest they'll get around to it... :rofl:

It's either laugh, or cry... :smokin:

Let's look at the question logically. The microbes exist in a feeding circle that involves the plants. If there are no plants yet, then only part of the feeding cycle is happening, the pre-breakdown of some of the nutrients. Without the reward for doing this from the plants and the messages as to what to bring to the plants, the microbes stop work after a while, waiting. What can be pre-processed is, but every bit of it is still there. If you keep the soil moist, the microbes don't die out, they simply go into a slower state. Basically, the process can only go so far, and then it would wait on the plants to do their part and I see no reason the plants would not be able to thrive during their first two weeks before another application of the Geoflora. Unless strong rains come and wash it all away, I see no downside in prepping the soil early and the prep would not wear out just because some time passed.

Let's look at the question logically. The microbes exist in a feeding circle that involves the plants. If there are no plants yet, then only part of the feeding cycle is happening, the pre-breakdown of some of the nutrients. Without the reward for doing this from the plants and the messages as to what to bring to the plants, the microbes stop work after a while, waiting. What can be pre-processed is, but every bit of it is still there. If you keep the soil moist, the microbes don't die out, they simply go into a slower state. Basically, the process can only go so far, and then it would wait on the plants to do their part and I see no reason the plants would not be able to thrive during their first two weeks before another application of the Geoflora. Unless strong rains come and wash it all away, I see no downside in prepping the soil early and the prep would not wear out just because some time passed.
Thank you @Emilya, I do appreciate this and all of your efforts... you are quite knowledgeable. I can see that I'm not posing my questions clearly enough. I was going for brevity and I guess I fell short somehow. Anyway, if you read GeoFlora's feeding chart, you'll see that it states "Amending into soil is best." For me, it seems that it could be read in a couple of different ways...

1) The reader may understand that the feeding chart is saying to feed every two weeks. Period. (even if you "amend into the soil" to start with)
OR
2) The reader may understand that the feeding chart is saying "amending into the soil" is best, but if you can't then you are directed to top dress every two weeks. This understanding would seem to imply that, because the roots take time to get to all of the soil that's in the new and larger up-pot, you won't need to top dress. Simply keep on "amending into the soil" with each up-potting.

THIS is why I have the questions. The directions on the bag, on the site and on their feeding chart leaves more than enough room for misunderstandings... in my mind at least.

Plus, if you remember, I have posed more than 1 question. This whole "amend into soil and/or top dress" is just one of them.

Their feeding chart seems to be for a much shorter, indoor grow. With the much longer season of an outdoor grow, I was wondering if there's any build up of salts, or any other things like total dissolved solids, that would accumulate to undesirable levels and therefore I asked about flushing. After all, this product is a lot more like liquid nutes than the natural soils that you and I love so much.

I am the kind of person that really does well when things are spelled out in very clear absolutes. No "well, I think they are saying this... or I believe they're saying that. Black and white and absolutes are always best. And not just for me, but to remove all doubt for all customers/users.
I guess I'm just weird that way, what the hell...
:smokin2:

Thank you @Emilya, I do appreciate this and all of your efforts... you are quite knowledgeable. I can see that I'm not posing my questions clearly enough. I was going for brevity and I guess I fell short somehow. Anyway, if you read GeoFlora's feeding chart, you'll see that it states "Amending into soil is best." For me, it seems that it could be read in a couple of different ways...

1) The reader may understand that the feeding chart is saying to feed every two weeks. Period. (even if you "amend into the soil" to start with)
OR
2) The reader may understand that the feeding chart is saying "amending into the soil" is best, but if you can't then you are directed to top dress every two weeks. This understanding would seem to imply that, because the roots take time to get to all of the soil that's in the new and larger up-pot, you won't need to top dress. Simply keep on "amending into the soil" with each up-potting.

THIS is why I have the questions. The directions on the bag, on the site and on their feeding chart leaves more than enough room for misunderstandings... in my mind at least.

Plus, if you remember, I have posed more than 1 question. This whole "amend into soil and/or top dress" is just one of them.

Their feeding chart seems to be for a much shorter, indoor grow. With the much longer season of an outdoor grow, I was wondering if there's any build up of salts, or any other things like total dissolved solids, that would accumulate to undesirable levels and therefore I asked about flushing. After all, this product is a lot more like liquid nutes than the natural soils that you and I love so much.

I am the kind of person that really does well when things are spelled out in very clear absolutes. No "well, I think they are saying this... or I believe they're saying that. Black and white and absolutes are always best. And not just for me, but to remove all doubt for all customers/users.
I guess I'm just weird that way, what the hell...
:smokin2:
Reading the feeding chart, it does not state that Amending into soil is BEST. I can't find that wording anywhere, in the chart or the blogs. It simply states that upon transplant it is a good idea to amend a dose of Geoflora into the soil so as to jump start the microbe colonies. Everywhere else in the feeding chart they refer only to top dressing. Even on the actual page that you linked to above, it is stated very clearly under best practices: Geoflora is not water-soluble and is best applied as a top dress for correct delivery of the ingredients.

So the reader should stop at your #1 and know that top dressing every two weeks is the way to go. I wonder how you would even try to go about 'amending the soil' in an established grow several weeks in??? Isn't top dressing all that is available to you at that time?

Your second question has to do with extended growing times, assuming both in veg and long running plants in bloom. You are wondering about something that does not happen in an organic grow... there are no salts to break down and build up or flush out. There is no concept of flushing in an organic grow. You have made an erroneous assumption that geoflora is more like liquid nutes than a water only organic soil, and I don't see the correlation. There is nothing to build up here that does not enhance the grow. The raw nutrients don't bother anything and are not even available to the plant until the plant asks for them and the microbes process and deliver them. For a great list of the types of nutrients that are included in the mix, check out the key ingredients page on their website: Geoflora Nutrients | Key Ingredients | GEOFLORA Organic Dry Nutrients
Nothing is chelated, so there is no left over bonding agent building up as in a synthetic grow. Everything in there is natural. Your worries are unfounded; they are simply conjecture without facts.

You want them to clear up all doubt. I don't know how they could better spell out how to use this stuff. Apply once every 2 weeks. Topdress unless you are transplanting, only then mix it in the soil you add in. It seems black and white to me and with no room for doubt.

Reading the feeding chart, it does not state that Amending into soil is BEST. I can't find that wording anywhere, in the chart or the blogs. It simply states that upon transplant it is a good idea to amend a dose of Geoflora into the soil so as to jump start the microbe colonies. Everywhere else in the feeding chart they refer only to top dressing. Even on the actual page that you linked to above, it is stated very clearly under best practices: Geoflora is not water-soluble and is best applied as a top dress for correct delivery of the ingredients.

So the reader should stop at your #1 and know that top dressing every two weeks is the way to go. I wonder how you would even try to go about 'amending the soil' in an established grow several weeks in??? Isn't top dressing all that is available to you at that time?

Your second question has to do with extended growing times, assuming both in veg and long running plants in bloom. You are wondering about something that does not happen in an organic grow... there are no salts to break down and build up or flush out. There is no concept of flushing in an organic grow. You have made an erroneous assumption that geoflora is more like liquid nutes than a water only organic soil, and I don't see the correlation. There is nothing to build up here that does not enhance the grow. The raw nutrients don't bother anything and are not even available to the plant until the plant asks for them and the microbes process and deliver them. For a great list of the types of nutrients that are included in the mix, check out the key ingredients page on their website: Geoflora Nutrients | Key Ingredients | GEOFLORA Organic Dry Nutrients
Nothing is chelated, so there is no left over bonding agent building up as in a synthetic grow. Everything in there is natural. Your worries are unfounded; they are simply conjecture without facts.

You want them to clear up all doubt. I don't know how they could better spell out how to use this stuff. Apply once every 2 weeks. Topdress unless you are transplanting, only then mix it in the soil you add in. It seems black and white to me and with no room for doubt.
@Emilya ,
I do appreciate your time and effort here. However, the actual feeding chart itself absolutely does state: "Amend into soil prior to transplant for best results. If unable, apply as a top dress and water in thoroughly." This is a direct copy and paste from GeoFlora's own feeding chart. I'm sorry that you haven't found that yet. Perhaps a picture would help:
GeofloraFeedChart.png

Please refrain from making such assertions without doing more thorough research first. I would also appreciate it if you would soften your tone. I'm always apologizing to you and always giving you compliments and giving you the benefit of the doubt. Could you please do the same to me, in my grow journal?

As for the "Best Practices" section... I am totally aware of what was stated there. And once you have found and read in the actual chart itself in "week 00", you will probably see the discrepancy in their PDF between what's in the "Best Practices" section and what's in the "Feeding Schedule" portion. This is why I became concerned. In one section it states that top dressing is "best"... then in the other section it clearly states that amending into the soil is "best".

As I've stated before, I have sent this to the company and while I await their reply I posted it here to see if other outdoor growers had any real world experiences with this product.

And I disagree with your statement that: "The reader should stop at your #1" simply because I have very clearly stated, in no uncertain terms, that I use pots during the veg phase, up-potting about every month or so. So, no, "top dressing is [not] all that's available to [me] at the time."

Furthermore, I understand quite well about an organic grow and how salts and things are not a problem and that there are no flushes needed. And I am NOT making "an erroneous assumption", as you allege, that GeoFlora is more like liquid nutes. This is because of the fact that, on the back of the actual bag, it very clearly states "Derived from:" followed by all of the wonderful sources that they use. The use of the phrase "Derived from" is very different from "ingredients" or "contains". "Derived from" is what is commonly found on the labels of liquid nutes. I'm sure you know that. Right? I'm not making a false assumption that you'd know this, am I?

Also, I stand by my "correlation" (as you put it) between liquid nutes and GeoFlora. Let me use an example... If I make some vegetable juice in my juicer using carrots, apples, some greens, etc I would have made a wonderful and healthy beverage. However, I cannot say that there are whole carrots, apples, greens, etc in the beverage. I would have to say this juice is derived from these things. Why? Simply because I have removed something (fiber) from these food sources in the juice making process. In a similar way, there is something removed from the source materials that are listed on the GeoFlora label; otherwise it wouldn't be so concentrated and we'd have to use a much larger volume of the product, just like we do when we build living soils with whole ingredients like bat guano, alfalfa meal and the like from companies like Down To Earth. Labeling laws in this country are very strict. This is why companies must carefully use such terms as I have listed above.

You also state that the GeoFlora product is not chelated. I would LOVE this to be the case... honestly. What has lead you to make such a statement? Do you have proof? Documentation? If so, P-L-E-A-S-E share with all of us here. I love learning new things and gaining more knowledge.

In the meantime, I stand by my statement of doubt simply because of the double talk and the lack of clarity from GeoFlora. I'm sorry that you don't see it that way, but the messaging from GeoFlora leaves a lot of doubt in any well informed readers mind. And, I do know how they can "better spell out how to use the stuff." They could include complete info on how to use in an outdoor grow, and address wether or not flushing is needed. (this alone would be a good selling point). As it is, there is way too much gray area and not enough black and white. Not just "to me", but in the actual written verbiage.

Hope this clarifies things... :smokin:

The only time they refer to amending it into the soil is during transplant, as I stated in my last remarks. Every other mention of it is as top dressing. There is no need to chelate since it is not in a form that can react against itself in the bag. That and common sense, is my documentation.

I hope you get an answer that satisfies you from our Geoflora rep. I know how I interpret the instructions and the way that I am using the product line seems to work just fine and I don't see why there would be any difference in method when using it outside.

Good luck in your quest. All of the peace and love in the universe toward you and your grow. :peace: :love:

Good morning everyone,

After buying a 2' T5 florescent grow light for my seedlings at my local hydro shop, I realized I needed a stand for it. But after searching around, I discovered nobody had one in stock. So, I built my own... see below:

And since this is my 1st Grow Journal, I thought I'd include a pic of my grow area from the vantage point of my roof:

As the grow season progresses, I will be adding 40% shade cloth on top and bug screen all around the sides. My grow area measures 10' x 14'.

It'll B fun... :smokin:
Nice area

Hey there @Kikibonds79 ,
Thank you for the compliment. You are most kind. And then I look at other grow sites and I say: Ha! LOL... My back yard grow area is quite meager; especially compared to your beautiful grow area. BTW, I really love what I see in your grow journal this season. You are doing great things.

Keep it up... :smokin:

Hey there @Kikibonds79 ,
Thank you for the compliment. You are most kind. And then I look at other grow sites and I say: Ha! LOL... My back yard grow area is quite meager; especially compared to your beautiful grow area. BTW, I really love what I see in your grow journal this season. You are doing great things.

Keep it up... :smokin:
Thanks I’m just excited I’m going to transplant them today so they can have more room to grow just kinda scared to try any vitamins on them. I haven’t tested the ph level on the water I’ve been giving them. I just don’t want to shock them because they are still fragile until they grow more bigger I will try to feed them food like plant food not a hamburger

Thanks I’m just excited I’m going to transplant them today so they can have more room to grow just kinda scared to try any vitamins on them. I haven’t tested the ph level on the water I’ve been giving them. I just don’t want to shock them because they are still fragile until they grow more bigger I will try to feed them food like plant food not a hamburger
Hey Kiki, you should put a link to your grow journal in the your signature. :Rasta:

This clueless girl has no idea how to do that I’m not a computer geek on things going to google it so I can figure it out. My goal this grow is to grow the biggest plant ever taller then my house lol
Hey there @Kikibonds79 ,
I love to see very large weed plants. If you want to make a signature with/without links please check out my signature. It shows step-by-step how.

Looking forward to it... :smokin:

This clueless girl has no idea how to do that I’m not a computer geek on things going to google it so I can figure it out. My goal this grow is to grow the biggest plant ever taller then my house lol
Hey I know what you mean, some things are too confusing to follow. But adding it to your signature is pretty simple. And guess what, as I was typing out how to do it, @CBDbud has shown he has a link in his signature to @Backlipslide's little tutorial. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom