CBD BudMan Outdoor Grow: Table Mountain Sativa Company & Seedsman - 2024

Garden Update:

Yesterday was 111ºf in "my neck of the woods" and today is 110ºf as I write this. Monday morning, I gave all my girls plenty of water, about 12 gal each, and I made sure I gave Wild Lady double the water the others got, 25 gal, because of that extra large area of mulch at her feet. Then on Wed I discovered that I have a large infestation of black scale... so I gave everybody 5 gal of water with @Sierra Natural Science "Systemica™" to kill those guys dead. All this time, Wild Lady has been all perky and doing real good... until today. :confused:

I've checked and double checked, the ground beneath the mulch is very cool, with plenty of moisture... more so than any of the others that are all in full sunlight at their feet and are doing just fine, but my Wild Lady is all droopy today. So now, I'm just gonna give her all the extra water she "seems" to need to keep her from drooping, and hope that her roots don't rot or some other prob.

This can't be normal... right?!!! :smokin:

It hit 99º here today on the west side of Los Angeles, so I hope it's not normal! I've been misting the cloth pots every couple of hours to try to keep the rootball a bit cooler.
Yes, it's been a hot one this year. That being said, I was referring to my Wild Lady and her predilection to drooping. My assumption is this is not normal, so something must be wrong... somewhere.
I Love My Girls... :smokin:

Yes, it's been a hot one this year. That being said, I was referring to my Wild Lady and her predilection to drooping. My assumption is this is not normal, so something must be wrong... somewhere.
Usually, when plants wilt on an excessively hot day, even when they are properly watered, it's because they are transpiring faster than the roots can intake water.This can raise a plants internal temperature causing early sighns of heat stress.

My experience, living in a desert, is that it mostly occurs when the roots get too hot causing heat stress in the plant. I see it in pots but I also see it in sunflowers planted in the ground. Cover crops help the sunflowers out and for my potted plants I hide the pots behind things that block the sun. Hot soil is one thing, but when the water in the soil gets hot before it even enters the plant it transpires really quickly, like steam from a kettle compared to a pot of cold water.

It could be a root issue, but it could also be too much foliage for the size of the rootball. Usually a root issue will show in the leaves so I doubt it's that. It looks like heat stress to me. Have you tried creating shade for her in the hottest part of the day?

Also, Ive been told that spraying a plant down will greatly reduce transpiration, which makes sense, but have always been worried about spraying water on a plant in the blazing sun so have never tried. Personally I can't recommend it, but scientifically it makes sense.

I find shading the roots works so I go with that.

Do you have a probe thermometer for compost that you could jab into her soil to compare it's temp to the rest of your plants soil temps?

Here's a link about heat stress and different symptoms and cures

Usually, when plants wilt on an excessively hot day, even when they are properly watered, it's because they are transpiring faster than the roots can intake water.This can raise a plants internal temperature causing early sighns of heat stress.

My experience, living in a desert, is that it mostly occurs when the roots get too hot causing heat stress in the plant. I see it in pots but I also see it in sunflowers planted in the ground. Cover crops help the sunflowers out and for my potted plants I hide the pots behind things that block the sun. Hot soil is one thing, but when the water in the soil gets hot before it even enters the plant it transpires really quickly, like steam from a kettle compared to a pot of cold water.

It could be a root issue, but it could also be too much foliage for the size of the rootball. Usually a root issue will show in the leaves so I doubt it's that. It looks like heat stress to me. Have you tried creating shade for her in the hottest part of the day?

Also, Ive been told that spraying a plant down will greatly reduce transpiration, which makes sense, but have always been worried about spraying water on a plant in the blazing sun so have never tried. Personally I can't recommend it, but scientifically it makes sense.

I find shading the roots works so I go with that.

Do you have a probe thermometer for compost that you could jab into her soil to compare it's temp to the rest of your plants soil temps?

Here's a link about heat stress and different symptoms and cures
Hey there @Gee64 :thanks: ,
Yes, I agree in general with everything you've stated here. The head scratcher for me is that this strain is "supposed to be" far more heat tolerant than what she's demonstrating. And to just blindly water her 3 or 4 times more often than the RVDV, Durban Poison, and even the Purple Haze, just seems to ignore what might be really going on... to me anyway.

The soil at her roots is moist and cool, even at 2 in the afternoon, and yet she's droopy if I don't water her even more. And when I do, she does respond favorably... it's just that I've always been wary of causing problems related to over watering. Especially considering the fact that ALL the other strains in my garden this year are not experiencing this... at all!

My main point here is: I wish I knew exactly what's going on, so I can be assured everything's fine, or take corrective measures, accordingly. It's the "I don't know" that's bugging the hell out of me!!! That's all.

Sorry for the rant,

Hey there @Gee64 :thanks: ,
Yes, I agree in general with everything you've stated here. The head scratcher for me is that this strain is "supposed to be" far more heat tolerant than what she's demonstrating. And to just blindly water her 3 or 4 times more often than the RVDV, Durban Poison, and even the Purple Haze, just seems to ignore what might be really going on... to me anyway.

The soil at her roots is moist and cool, even at 2 in the afternoon, and yet she's droopy if I don't water her even more. And when I do, she does respond favorably... it's just that I've always been wary of causing problems related to over watering. Especially considering the fact that ALL the other strains in my garden this year are not experiencing this... at all!

My main point here is: I wish I knew exactly what's going on, so I can be assured everything's fine, or take corrective measures, accordingly. It's the "I don't know" that's bugging the hell out of me!!! That's all.

Sorry for the rant,
I hear ya, it bugs me too and they aren't even my plants🤣

One day under a shade cloth might answer the question.
Yeah well, it's a bit late for that now as she is taller than the frame I have to hold the 40% shade cloth I've been using for years... even after the FIM and then the heavy topping much later.

FYI, the reason I didn't have this shade cloth up in the 1st place is, I was under the impression that these cultivars from @Table Mountain Sativa Co didn't actually need any shade to keep them cool, as they were well acclimated to hot climates. I mean, even the Purple Haze is literally unfazed by the heat this season.

I'm hoping we're now passed the hottest part of the season and that this will no longer be an issue... 🤞

Back
Top Bottom