Black African Magic (2), Cafe Racer and Malawi x Panama in SIP's

Great conversation! I'm in Earthbox SIP's with 10 gallons of soil. First 6 plants in LOS water only went perfectly in my opinion. The next 4 the poop hit the fan in flower and the fifth is currently saved from the syndrome.

I can say I think it was because I decided to water from the TOP for a period to begin with when they went into their SIP containers. They did grow upper roots but they acted as wicks making the pot too wet as my mulch covers were sealed with plastic per the Earthbox co.. Everything the same but for the top watering!

All the water and the sealed system made an o2 deficiency and that's what crashed them. Those 4 were on the brink of anaerobic and that's bad for growing.

Removing the mulch covers and 1 day topwater with 1.6 ltrs and 2 days off has saved them. Mico, recharge, and fish emulsion on top helped too with the save. I'm going to go back to no top water in my LOS SIP grows next. They did well without.

You bring up some interesting points @StoneOtter !
I decided to water from the TOP for a period to begin with when they went into their SIP containers.
IIRC it is a couple of weeks after transplant before I started a once every three or four reservoir fills with top water.

First grow the plants were leaning over and this helped...

I think that gives them a good start on developing the bottom water roots and depending on your humidity an Occasional top watering will help with side/support roots.

Second grow I just top watered as SOP...

Ideally I like to see an inch or so of top soil relatively dry.

Last winters grow the rh was 30 -40% and I top watered every five or six days right to the end.

This grow my rh was 50-60% and I quit top watering about half way through flower and still had white fuzzies growing on the top of the medium. Girls didn't seem to care with the ProMix HP !

Now that I've had some time to think about the two grows I plan on top watering ONLY when I feel they need upper support roots in the first stage of veg Or if my medium is dry down to three or four inches.

Root ball pictures still to come......

There is no rush to clean up while hoping to save my pennies and move to LED's ;)

Or just purchase a ballast and do another grow with HID's...

Darn curiosity is killing me though, I want to be GROWING 😆

Cheers

You bring up some interesting points @StoneOtter !

IIRC it is a couple of weeks after transplant before I started a once every three or four reservoir fills with top water.

First grow the plants were leaning over and this helped...

I think that gives them a good start on developing the bottom water roots and depending on your humidity an Occasional top watering will help with side/support roots.

Second grow I just top watered as SOP...

Ideally I like to see an inch or so of top soil relatively dry.

Last winters grow the rh was 30 -40% and I top watered every five or six days right to the end.

This grow my rh was 50-60% and I quit top watering about half way through flower and still had white fuzzies growing on the top of the medium. Girls didn't seem to care with the ProMix HP !

Now that I've had some time to think about the two grows I plan on top watering ONLY when I feel they need upper support roots in the first stage of veg Or if my medium is dry down to three or four inches.

Root ball pictures still to come......

There is no rush to clean up while hoping to save my pennies and move to LED's ;)

Or just purchase a ballast and do another grow with HID's...

Darn curiosity is killing me though, I want to be GROWING 😆

Cheers
Sounds like with your soil and all, you don't get The Syndrome then. Fantastic! Some do and some don't I guess. Glad you don't!

Still haven't cleaned up the grow room :yahoo:

But, I now have an incentive ;)

Thank you for your purchase!
PHLIZON PH-B8-D PLUS 640W Full-spectrum+UV/IR Daisy Chain Dimmable Cost-effective High-yield Commercial LED Grow Light for 4×4 × 1

Phlizon ph b8 d 640w led light.JPG

And from @True North Seed Bank !

Subtotal​
Acapulco Gold FEM ELITE - 3 Seeds
Colombian Gold FEM ELITE - 3 Seeds
Hawaiian Snow FEM ELITE - 3 Seeds
NYC Diesel FEM ELITE - 1 Seed
Train Wreck FEM - 1 Seed

Root ball pictures coming soon, he, he....

Cheers

W00t W00t!1

I know that you were on the hunt for a new light! Good choice!! Cant wait to see the new grow with it!

SOOOO whats the plan what are you planning to grow next with tis?

W00t W00t!1

I know that you were on the hunt for a new light! Good choice!! Cant wait to see the new grow with it!

SOOOO whats the plan what are you planning to grow next with tis?
LOL, you miss the last part of my post :yahoo:

Have to leave one of my five choices until next time.....

I actually had a hard time finding a supplier that had the majority of what I wanted to grow (and shipped to Canada).

For some reason Pacific Seed Bank currently doesn't like Canuks ?

Maui Wowie, my first choice will have to wait unless I break down and find another supplier for just that !

As it is it looks like beans and rice for the next month, maybe the odd hot dog :yahoo:

Main or quadline until 24" wide, try to keep the bud sites down to a dozen or so ?

My Cafe Racer was only 20" or so wide when I flipped and she grew to 5' high o_O

I have an issue with removing perfectly good growth so I hope to get more of a handle on that this time And continue for the majority of the grow, he, he...

Also considering two pails with coco coir, not sure I have enough Pro Mix HP in stock for four pails.

Good excuse, eh ?

Pro Mix HP user for years. If it is not broke, why fix it ?

Darn curiosity strikes again 😆

Cheers

LOL, you miss the last part of my post :yahoo:
Ohh man I did miss that!!

Will be fun to watch! I need to do some more research on mainline and quadline as I’m thinking that’s the route for my next grow. Which BTW was fully going to be in a NEW bale of ProMix hahaha but now going to play with DWC for the winter grow. Curiosity strikes again!!

WOW, I can't believe it has been three months since this harvest o_O

No wonder I'm getting antsy, he, he...

Not sure how relevant the root ball pictures will be, they have had all this time to decompose.

The Cafe Racer root pulled out without moving the rest of the medium !

Anywho, as far as I can tell the root migration into the bottom insert is about what one would expect, here's a couple...

Bam roots.jpg

Malawi x Panama roots.jpg

Here's a tip, don't do your on line shopping on a Friday before a long weekend, sigh..

It's killing me waiting for shipping confirmation on my new LED light and seeds :yahoo:

And yes I did break down, ordered FastBuds version of the Maui Wowie from The Seed Fair 😆

Pails are empty but still need to be washed with a vinegar solution.

Now I need to pick four from this selection >

Fall 2024 Grow.JPG

Cheers, eh ?

Back
Top Bottom