The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

Thank you... Fella says he knows what ou are talking about and when to get the pods so I will consider it done.... :Namaste:....:circle-of-love:

Oooh....Mimosa!
Trade some Mimosa for some Tiger Lily seeds?! :)

A nice man at work gave me some tiger lily's a couple weeks ago. (now, if he thinks there's going to be something in return for them, they will go right back into his pick em' up truck in a heartbeat :laughtwo:) I planted them and did not realize until today that the little black balls on each node are the seeds! I've collected about 50 of them so far and there's more growing on them. Woot Woot!
They should bloom soon too, can't wait to see them. It's going to make a great addition to my Lily's around here.

Oooh....Mimosa!
Trade some Mimosa for some Tiger Lily seeds?! :)

A nice man at work gave me some tiger lily's a couple weeks ago. (now, if he thinks there's going to be something in return for them, they will go right back into his pick em' up truck in a heartbeat :laughtwo:) I planted them and did not realize until today that the little black balls on each node are the seeds! I've collected about 50 of them so far and there's more growing on them. Woot Woot!
They should bloom soon too, can't wait to see them. It's going to make a great addition to my Lily's around here.

I had to look it up since I never thought of Tiger Lily Seeds before.
Those aren't true seeds - even better they are bulbs, that are clones of the mother plant - might be 2-3 years until they flower.

I like a plant that naturalizes :)

I had to look it up since I never thought of Tiger Lily Seeds before.
Those aren't true seeds - even better they are bulbs, that are clones of the mother plant - might be 2-3 years until they flower.

I like a plant that naturalizes :)

I found that out a bit ago. When I did a google image search for Tiger Lily seeds, these came up in the pics. Can't always trust those images to be correct. LOL
I did read that they can take a couple years to grow, so I'll find a good spot and get a few in the ground with a label to remember what I have there.
When I took the plants out of the pots there was a great number of quarter sized bulbs starting in the root ball, so my reading says those will grow to maturity much sooner than the seed bulbils. I'm going to have Tiger Lily's coming out my ears. LOL

I love them though.

Edit: Radogast, do you have any idea how long these bulbils can be stored and how to store them?
I'm going to have a bunch!

I found that out a bit ago. When I did a google image search for Tiger Lily seeds, these came up in the pics. Can't always trust those images to be correct. LOL
I did read that they can take a couple years to grow, so I'll find a good spot and get a few in the ground with a label to remember what I have there.
When I took the plants out of the pots there was a great number of quarter sized bulbs starting in the root ball, so my reading says those will grow to maturity much sooner than the seed bulbils. I'm going to have Tiger Lily's coming out my ears. LOL

I love them though.

Edit: Radogast, do you have any idea how long these bulbils can be stored and how to store them?
I'm going to have a bunch!

Nope - not a clue!
My only contact with lilies was renting a house where I used a lawnmower to keep an even edge to the naturalized lily plants totally lining both sides of a stream.

P.S.
I also grew up with Amarylis Belladonna growing ignored along the sidewalk.
Kids would walk by and whack their blooming heads off- Bam!

Out on my walk and these caught my eye. I knew you'd all appreciate it as much as I. :blushsmile:

image27720.jpg

My healing walks along this beautiful river should work, don't you think? I know it feels right.

image27723.jpg

First of all, this is a Have-a-heart trap. The animal will not be harmed. It will be relocated. :)

I found my other coyote trap, despite it being the same manufacturer, this one is of a better design on the trap door. The other one allowed a critter to work the bottom up so it could get out.

I've had to tie it down to my sprinkler pump pipe and put a stake inside so the cage can't be rolled. Raccoon's have done that trying to get to the goodies. I also have screening around the back where the bait is, because they figured out how to reach in and grab the goodies.

destruction_41.jpg

At this point, I'm seriously thinking of a drop off in a garden a few miles away from here. Would be righteous to make up for the dead fish put under my car seat a few years back. :rofl: But.....I will prolly just find a nice area along a small lake.

What I really wish I could get my hands on are some Canna Lily's....for the obvious reasons. :laughtwo:

Let me know how to get seeds and you will have canna lilies... there are thousands of them around here and on the property.... I'm assuming they are always orange...:straightface: they are all orange around here.....:circle-of-love:

Dennise,
there are seed pods that form on the plant...here's a quote from a blog on the net. :)

After the canna’s flowers have been pollinated the seed “pods” begin to develop along the stem. See the reddish pointy part that resembles a cone above the green orbs? That is where the flower petals where attached. The spiky seed pods of the canna just look dangerous and touching them won’t hurt you in any way.

When canna lily seeds have matured the green husk of the pod turns brown, shrivels and opens up. At this point if you were to press a pod between your fingers you’d be able to feel the hard seed(s) inside.

Inside each seed pod is at least two black, hard and shiny seeds. Seed pods that develop later in the gardening season may only have one canna seed per pod. These later developing seeds will also usually be smaller than the first seeds that ripen. I’ve not noticed that the smaller (or later) seeds germinate less or aren’t viable. The first thing you will probably notice in regards to these seeds is how hard the seed coat is; you could throw it against the concrete sidewalk and not cause a dent in the seed. Canna seed germination requires some kind of seed scarification to allow the embryo inside access to moisture. Over the years I’ve seen gardeners go to great lengths to get the seeds to germinate, from rubbing them with nail files to drilling holes in them with electrical tools. The easiest method I’ve come across is to submerge them in boiling water for a few moments until you hear them pop open.

image27774.jpg

I'm pretty sure they're Black-Eyed Susan's and there's a 25' bed just starting to bloom. Care to watch it change daily?

They're a pain to pull out too (the wild grape, not the roses :laughtwo: ).

Beauty found on my way home from breakfast at my favorite riverside restaurant.

image27782.jpg

image27783.jpg

Back
Top Bottom