Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

Security cameras...the cameras I have use the 850nm wavelength for infrared illumination. Will this effect my plants in flower cycle? I want to be able to watch their temp
And RH, and most of what I have read says no, but wondered if you had any input?
420-magazine-mobile1101118337.jpg

I won't go with 100% certainty, since the LED may produce varying wavelengths. But as long as the wavelength is greater than 720nm you have NO risk of activating the "Pfr" state of phytochrome system, which is the protein primarily responsible for cannabis plants photoperiod. Check the pic below...
download4.png
You should be OK to use those cams from what I've read on the subject. :Namaste:

Sounds good!! ..
One other thing to point out I'm seeing the same amount of amber on the Dreamer. Are trichs the best way to judge? Or pistils? Or a happy medium of both? If I get lower down on them and the trichs aren't as 'ripe' should I chop the upper fruits and allow the others to stay on while they ripen up?
Yes, trichomes are the best way. Some plants will continue to out out white pistils all the way to the finish. It can be very deceiving if you don't have a way to check trichs. And yes you can absolutely do a tiered harvest, if your lower buds are not ripe at all then it can be very beneficial. But I usually do as Pennywise does, but I tend to smoke/vape all of it. It's still going to get you high, it has plenty of thc. You won't notice when smoking it unless they're really behind in maturity. Hope that helps:Namaste:

Stinky Snid
:green_heart:cheers

hi stinky

just come across a post it says feeding with coco, it says feed nutes, then plain water, nutes, water & so on, is this this true?

iv been feeding nutes every watering thats all, feed every 2-3 days

Hello Stinky Sid,

I read a lot about Auto strains and LED lights. I would not argue with any of people's personal preferences but it's just hard to wrap the brain around because when I started you were laughed at or shunned for using either. I know times and technology change but for the experienced grower is it time to start making the switch from reg seeds and MH/HPS? I would like to know if long time growers are making the switch. I always puke in my mouth a bit when I see comments that autos are better. Just looking for your opinion. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

hi stinky
just come across a post it says feeding with coco, it says feed nutes, then plain water, nutes, water & so on, is this this true?
iv been feeding nutes every watering thats all, feed every 2-3 days

I'm not a coco expert by any means. But my understanding is that it's like a hydro system. And from what I've seen hydro reservoirs always have some nutes(ppm) in them. If your plants are liking feeds every time then keep doing it and watch for signs of nute burn. It depends on your plants and on the nutrients you use. If you feed each time I'd keep an eye on Ph levels as salts build up, you may need to do a light nute filled flush a couple times throughout the grow to remove this buildup. But as I said, if your plants like it then keep doing it. Every grower and every plant is different. :Namaste:

Hello Stinky Sid,

I read a lot about Auto strains and LED lights. I would not argue with any of people's personal preferences but it's just hard to wrap the brain around because when I started you were laughed at or shunned for using either. I know times and technology change but for the experienced grower is it time to start making the switch from reg seeds and MH/HPS? I would like to know if long time growers are making the switch. I always puke in my mouth a bit when I see comments that autos are better. Just looking for your opinion. Thanks
No one can deny the efficacy of hps and mh, they don't cover nearly as much of the spectrum but they produce some dense dense buds. It may be due to shear wattage but I've seen a 400w hps outdo my LEDs by a novice. Same goes for photos over autos. It's all relative to the grower. If you can go with 1000w hps and have all sort of exhaust and intakes then it would obviously be beneficial. But if your a small hobby grower like the majority of the members Here LEDs produce what you need with a lower operating cost.
It's clear that photoperiods are better in all categories over their autoflowering counterpart. They have more thc and are for the most part more hearty growing plants. They can veg indefinitely and are way more adept to taking on training regiments. I am in favour photos over autos, but autos definitely serve their purpose aswell. They can fit in between cycles and augment your yields while you wait for the flower tent to finish. It's all relative my friend, to each grower comes his preferences. :Namaste:

Stinky Snid

I love my photos and truly do not fear the Regular seed, but when my environs are running with high humidity and/or other hard to control issue, like running out of stash, I can run a fem or auto and be pretty sure of what to expect in a timely manner.

So that being said I am sill working on my timeline. My theory start my reg photos 3-4 at a time in mid-late summer then harvest before the end of November. Photos again until spring. And run autos in my spring-summer grow sessions.

I dunno? Runnin low on stash now and I got nuthing in flower. I dont know what i am doing. :ciao:

Thank you! All this time I looked at it as a "versus" as opposed to a "compliment to," huh. Maybe time for a fourth tent. I'm lucky and have a card so when things look bleak I can have meds delivered in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi Stinky Snid. I would like to know if I can plant my germinated seeds directly into a three gallon pot or would it be better to upsize containers a few times. Space is not an issue, just a couple of plants. Sorry if this has been covered, I have been reading for about three weeks and have not come across it. There is a phenomenal amount of info on this site.

Hi Stinky Snid. I would like to know if I can plant my germinated seeds directly into a three gallon pot or would it be better to upsize containers a few times. Space is not an issue, just a couple of plants. Sorry if this has been covered, I have been reading for about three weeks and have not come across it. There is a phenomenal amount of info on this site.
What's up old fart... :) ya that sounded weird. But on the Stinky end of the spectrum so I like it :thumb: now to your question...
I'll answer in two parts, one for autos and the other for photoperiods. First off for autos you'd want to start in the pot your going to finish in. 3 gallons is about right for autos, they should fill it up with roots just fine. The reason for this one stop pot is to avoid any undue stresses on your autoflower, which could result in slow growth or even worse early flower. It's doable if necessary but it's not recommended to up pot autos.
For photoperiods it absolutely beneficial to gradually up pot your plants. This allows for root ball to form root balls to surround themselves with creating one massive root ball. Along with root scoring this technique is hugely beneficial to overall yield. I go from solo cups, to 1-2 litre pots to then depending on maturity either 3gallon or 5 gallons. Does that give your some reassurance :Namaste:

Stinky Snid

Thanx Snid. I am eventually going to try an auto flower (train wreck) so that answers my question perfectly. I should learn to include a bit more info in my questions. All new to me.

Thank you Snid and everyone else contributing to this thread! I've skimmed through to make sure I'm not asking the same questions as other people. I see there are a couple other questions regarding trimming during flower but I still have concerns more specific to my grow.

I have 6 photos crammed into a 2x4 space, so I don't get much light to the lower part of the plants. I don't mind popcorn but given the lack of light penetration I think I'm best to focus energy toward the colas. I'm 28 days since flip and I regularly pick off the lower leaves that are falling off. Earlier this week I trimmed some of the smaller fan leaves down low to try to get more of an amateur lollipop effect, but I'm hesitant to trim off branches, anything with pistils or anything above the bottom 1/3 of the plant. I'm very concerned about putting my plants into shock. So here's some pics and I'll ask about these 1 by 1.

"Droopy"
image2_2_1.jpeg

I have a number of fan leaves like these that are very droopy. Maybe it's because I'm constantly bending fan leaves down to get more light penetration? I suspect they're in the process of dropping off. Should I just trim these early and get it over with?

"Branchy"
image41009.jpeg

I have a number of branches like these two that never made it up to the canopy because I tried to wrap the branch, topping and all, around the perimeter of the pot when LST'ing. This was because they were growing wider than my horizontal space permitted. The upper branch of the topping grew nice and tall but the lower branch stayed short. (Actually, the pic shown was strictly LST, no topping, but same idea on my other 5 topped plants.) Since these branches are small and not producing much, would it make sense to cut them off or would that shock the plant?

"Poppy"
image3_1_1.jpeg

So this is some of the lower growth I didn't want to cut off because it has pistils. I imagine the energy would be better suited toward my colas. Should I trim these off or do you think they'll grow into some decent popcorn?

I saw on an earlier post you recommended 5 weeks from flip before trimming. I'm at 4. So assuming you say yes to trimming these, 1 more week? Or does my situation appear different for some reason or another? Thanks for the input and again, thanks for this thread. Your hard work and dedication is very much appreciated!

I have 6 photos crammed into a 2x4 space, so I don't get much light to the lower part of the plants. I don't mind popcorn but given the lack of light penetration I think I'm best to focus energy toward the colas. I'm 28 days since flip and I regularly pick off the lower leaves that are falling off. Earlier this week I trimmed some of the smaller fan leaves down low to try to get more of an amateur lollipop effect, but I'm hesitant to trim off branches, anything with pistils or anything above the bottom 1/3 of the plant. I'm very concerned about putting my plants into shock. So here's some pics and I'll ask about these 1 by 1.

"Droopy"
image2_2_1.jpeg

I have a number of fan leaves like these that are very droopy. Maybe it's because I'm constantly bending fan leaves down to get more light penetration? I suspect they're in the process of dropping off. Should I just trim these early and get it over with?
The droopy bent leaves are likely a result of being pushed up against the wall or another plant. All the upper leaves look happy as rain. So if you'd like to remove these it wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't trim much more than you already have, you've got the first 1/3 of the plant removed. This should be an ample amount to direct more growth up top. Subject 1 = let it be.

"Branchy"
image41009.jpeg

I have a number of branches like these two that never made it up to the canopy because I tried to wrap the branch, topping and all, around the perimeter of the pot when LST'ing. This was because they were growing wider than my horizontal space permitted. The upper branch of the topping grew nice and tall but the lower branch stayed short. (Actually, the pic shown was strictly LST, no topping, but same idea on my other 5 topped plants.) Since these branches are small and not producing much, would it make sense to cut them off or would that shock the plant?
For this one I'd say leave it as well. Although if you do want to cut it now is the time. Sooner would have been better but... That growth shoot will produce something in the end, and likely more than what will be redirected to the upper buds. As long as you can keep it exposed it'll make a nug for you. Better than no nug... Right.
"Poppy"
image3_1_1.jpeg

So this is some of the lower growth I didn't want to cut off because it has pistils. I imagine the energy would be better suited toward my colas. Should I trim these off or do you think they'll grow into some decent popcorn?
For these type of growths I usually keep them. Looks like they're maturing well enough. If they're exposed to light they will surely be nice looking buds. Let them grow too...
I saw on an earlier post you recommended 5 weeks from flip before trimming. I'm at 4. So assuming you say yes to trimming these, 1 more week? Or does my situation appear different for some reason or another? Thanks for the input and again, thanks for this thread. Your hard work and dedication is very much appreciated!
Any more trimming that you do should be strictly fan leaves that are blocking developing budsites. Every grow and plant is different and therefore each has its own solution to defoliation. I find its best to wait until buds have formed and it's easy to see what buds are getting light and which aren't. There'll be a colour difference literally highlighting the buds that need more light. If your at week 4 since flip, I agree that no more should be removed until another week or more. And then do what needs to be done in one shot. After that it'll be a few more leaves that will grow to big and block sites later on, and any dying foliage. This should bring you right up to harvest. :Namaste:
I'm tired and sore, sorry if that seemed rambly. Hope it's adequate for you to proceed with confidence. Thank for the support Dawook :thanks:

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Hey snid,

About a week ago I noticed a tiny hole in one of the leafs and I worried for bugs. You advised me to keep an eye out for other holes because it could have been caused by nute spill. I haven't noticed any other holes, but now I see yellow spots. 30day old lowryder 2, distilled ph6.5, in soil, 1ml grow micro bloom per gallon, just added Cal mag two days ago. I'm thinking I need to up my nutes to 4ml of each grow micro bloom with 5ml of Cal mag. What should I do?
420-magazine-mobile509104474.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1702445180.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1605747111.jpg

I would say jump it to 4 ml every other watering... I would flush first to make sure everything is cleared out of dirt and plant then hit her with higher dose of nutes, that's me tho... are you using gh or advanced

Sent from my SM-S902L using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I would go buy a ph ec and ppm meter just to ensure proper ppm ph and ec I don't know if I would trust that thing is your nutes ph perfect or no? when did you flush last?

Sent from my SM-S902L using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Can....I'm having the same issue with two seedlings in the same 5g pot. They're 7 days old. Half the size, or maybe slightly half the size of the ones planted on same day. Also....almost half the size of others germed 4-5 days later. Man I hope they aren't bugs, cuz their in the tent with others.

Howdy again, seed question today! If you get seeds that are feminized, that still isn't a guarantee against hermies, but is it a guarantee against males? Or can stress change even from seeds to males?

No guarantees and stress can cause a female to hermie and produce pollen. Stick with the better known breeders producing feminized seeds and you should be good to go. I think most fem seeds are like 99% females.

StarKiller OG - Rockwool - Ebb & Flow - 1200W LED - 2016
New Member Start Links
How do I top my plants?
Auto Growers Unite - A Community Thread

Back
Top Bottom