AKGramma Grows Autos: Current

Today's pic of the Autoberrys and the Jock Horror AF.

"Eve" is using up her lower leaves, as her pistils turn amber. 13 weeks and 3 days from seed.

One Autoberry is way ahead of her sisters.

Eve (Jock Horror Auto Fem) is ready to come down today. More leaves used up and about 25% amber pistils.

Not much foliage for the herb bin, but then she never really had that much. Still only 12 inches tall. I am not impressed with the size and yield of the JH seeds.

Her few seeds are JH x Afghani. Maybe the AFG father will give the next generation more height and more yield.

Not much foliage for the herb bin, but then she never really had that much. Still only 12 inches tall. I am not impressed with the size and yield of the JH seeds.

Try Jack Herer instead of Jock Horror. The last one I tried growing in a closet quickly produced about twelve "stalks" that grew all the way up to a big LED panel hanging 5'6" off the floor - and, when I ended up ignoring it, lifted one side of the LED panel until the hanger chains on that side were beyond slack. That LED panel weighed ~33 pounds, lol.

It was pretty embarrassing. But it showed me that Jack could easily get huge (assuming one had one of the three sativa-leaning phenotypes instead of the more indica-leaning one, at least).

Bud wet weight = 13.87g (with 1/4" long stems). Saved leaf weight wet = 7.28g. Total wet = 21.15g.

Bud weight dry = 3.46g (with stems. 3g when stems removed). leaf weight dry will be 1.8g or less. They are not as dense as buds, so expect maybe 1g.

So, a fair estimate dried and ready to use for this harvest = 4g.

Try Jack Herer instead of Jock Horror. The last one I tried growing in a closet quickly produced about twelve "stalks" that grew all the way up to a big LED panel hanging 5'6" off the floor - and, when I ended up ignoring it, lifted one side of the LED panel until the hanger chains on that side were beyond slack. That LED panel weighed ~33 pounds, lol.

It was pretty embarrassing. But it showed me that Jack could easily get huge (assuming one had one of the three sativa-leaning phenotypes instead of the more indica-leaning one, at least).

I'm done purchasing seeds. I have around a thousand seeds, all but a couple are those I produced. And if I want to put up with the first sativas I got as freebies, I can always toss a few under the lights. Almost all my seeds are hybrids: some heavy on the sativa side, some more in the middle between sativa and Indica.

Then there is the afghani. That is probably the only indica strain I have.

Oh. Oops. I was thinking you favored sativas instead of indicas. But:
And if I want to put up with the first sativas I got as freebies, I can always toss a few under the lights.

I'm confused.

I got 5 good seeds from the JH AF harvest. The buds are drying up to mini-size. I do a slow dry in a tupperware container with the lid slightly open for moisture escape.

I trimmed off the stems from all but one bud, so I can keep track of the stem-break stage.

Probably 2 more days in the container, then a test with a hygrometer and the lid closed. I want to get as close to 65% as possible before jarring up. I have some 1 cup mason jars that will do the job. ;-)

The Autoberries are ready for me to turn on the second MARS 300 light panel. The biggest one has doubled in size this last few days, and I had to raise the CFL's to prevent leaf burn.

Since the harvested seeds are JH autos, x male Afghani, do you think any of these seeds will show auto tendencies?

I guess I should dump them right into the three empty bins with the Autoberry grow and see what happens.

Since the harvested seeds are JH autos, x male Afghani, do you think any of these seeds will show auto tendencies?

No. Not unless the Afghani had been crossed at some point with a strain that carried the gene for the autoflowering trait (which is technically possible, but rather unlikely, IMHO), and then the specific parent would have had to carried a copy of the gene. It's recessive, remember (needs to be present in both parents for the trait to occur in the child, in which case the result depends on that child actually receiving the gene from both parents (not a given, since one of the parents was not an autoflowering one and, therefore, could not have had a pair of the genes, so flip a coin as to which one gets passed on).

On the other hand, the seeds WILL have the gene present. They just won''t have a pair of them.

No. Not unless the Afghani had been crossed at some point with a strain that carried the gene for the autoflowering trait (which is technically possible, but rather unlikely, IMHO), and then the specific parent would have had to carried a copy of the gene. It's recessive, remember (needs to be present in both parents for the trait to occur in the child, in which case the result depends on that child actually receiving the gene from both parents (not a given, since one of the parents was not an autoflowering one and, therefore, could not have had a pair of the genes, so flip a coin as to which one gets passed on).

On the other hand, the seeds WILL have the gene present. They just won''t have a pair of them.

I forgot about the recessive part. Like Dynamo, I thought that the presence of Ruderalis in either parent would be enough to get a 25% auto offspring. TY for the reminder, TS!

Maybe the Afghani father will make the offspring sturdier. Like I said before, I was not impressed with Eve's phenotype or yield. But she WAS a healthy plant throughout her life.

Bud wet weight = 13.87g (with 1/4" long stems). Saved leaf weight wet = 7.28g. Total wet = 21.15g.

Bud weight dry = 3.46g (with stems. 3g when stems removed). leaf weight dry will be 1.8g or less. They are not as dense as buds, so expect maybe 1g.

So, a fair estimate dried and ready to use for this harvest = 4g.

UPDATE: After a 4-day dry and at 75% humidity:

Bud dry weight = 4.0g, Leaves dry weight = 2.5g. So my estimates were a bit low. I got a total of 6.5 g off "Eve".

So this is calculates out to a dry weight of approx 31% of wet weight, which includes removing all the stems. The largest bud is 3/4" and the mini buds run from 1/8" to 1/4". Nothing to write home about, but every little bit is saved.

Waste not, want not.

5.5 wks from seed.

Autoberrys on the rt side. About 6" tall. These are ready for their first pinch-back.

Autoberry on the left side about 8# tall. This one is ready for her second pinch back of the two main leaders.

I gave the Autoberries another pinch-back. The bigger girl got her second, and the two smaller got their first. I won't pinch back the biggest a third time. Four main branches plus two from below will be enough.

All three got their first nutes: half-strength cocktail of Miracle grow for veggies, epsom salts, seaweed extract, and diluted neem oil. Adding neem oil to the soil works better for me to prevent mites than foliar spray, and it doesn't burn the leaves.

Hours later, they look healthy and the neem odor has dissipated into the soil.

Just doing a drive-by..

GL with the gardens,, is the 'slower' part of growing. The more leaves they get,, the faster they'll get growing..

GL and Keepem Green

* sigh * I didn't have the main grow blocked enough and the cat ate all the leaves off one of the smaller Autoberries. She is still alive and will definitely bush out. She won't need any more pinching back for along time! I would have thought that the smell of neem oil would have deterred the cat... but no such luck. He's addicted!

:rolleyes:

Bet he's not addicted to the smell of white vinegar ;) .

Back
Top Bottom