Scarfinger68's - Soil - CFL - Aurora Indica Journal - 2013

46 days VEG: Some of the affected leaves have continued to brown but nothing new really
P1000793.JPG

On to the flower room.

46 days flower, defoliated vs. not defoliated

I am following stealthgrow and he is trying some defoliation. I have never considered it basically because I have never understood it. I can't say I understand it now 100% either. But... I have been wanting to get light to some lower bud sites. I have been tucking the fan leaves down and out of the way and it is kind of a pain but I do it to help develop the bud sites.

After reading
Increasing yield with defoliation indoors - What's it mean? How to do it?
here at 420 I decided to try it.

I have 2 almost identical ICE plants in 1 gallon pots at day 46 of flower, after defoliation
P1000800.JPG

P1000801.JPG

Just a trial to see if I like it. I can tell you that after defoliating the one I was sooo tempted to defoliate the other one. It is so cool to see all those buds just sticking out there. I wanted to see them on both plants. But I resisted the temptation to try and see if there is a big deference in harvest.

:allgood:

+reps for the experiment my friend.:)

Just a trial to see if I like it. I can tell you that after defoliating the one I was sooo tempted to defoliate the other one. It is so cool to see all those buds just sticking out there. I wanted to see them on both plants. But I resisted the temptation to try and see if there is a big deference in harvest.

You have more will power then me, I was only gonna do the one Kush in the smaller closet to allow light to the Blue Mystic in the back, but once I started just couldn't stop. My closet was super crowded though, lots of bud sites with no light and humidity was at the high end.
Good luck to both of us for high yields. :thumb:

:popcorn:

+reps for a trial side by side sir. That will be very nice to see. :high-five:

Your ladies and looking good btw. And Good Weed. ;)

Thank you Sir!

awesome. they look similar in size too

Raised from seed, VEG same time (60 days) with the same topping and LST techniques.

+reps for the experiment my friend.:)

You have more will power then me, I was only gonna do the one Kush in the smaller closet to allow light to the Blue Mystic in the back, but once I started just couldn't stop. My closet was super crowded though, lots of bud sites with no light and humidity was at the high end.
Good luck to both of us for high yields. :thumb:

:) I hear ya. :) I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't for that article you referenced.

The only experiment that went bad for me so far is the root trimming on my mother plant. Everything else has gave good results.

Northern Light Mother Plant: expired
P10006341.JPG

:peacetwo:

I think you did the defol at the perfect time, the article actually mentioned day 45 of flower and your on 46.

I know. Maybe it was fate :) According to the article he likes a longer VEG time of 4 - 6 weeks. These were Veg'd 8 weeks. So this will be the only time this plant gets defoliated.

I am exited to see how she turns out. :)

Watered the flower room. Watered and gave :morenutes: to the Aurora Indica.

The AI doesn't seem as vigorous as other plants I have grown. Well, she is suppose to be a short plant I have read. Also some say she grows better with a main cola and doesn't respond well to topping. Maybe they are right. I am done training her.

I figure she has another 2 weeks to recover from the topping before she goes into the flower room.

Aurora Indica, day 47 VEG
P10008051.JPG

:allgood:

+reps on the experiment it will be awesome to see to comparison come harvest time

I might try the same experiment with my 2 gals in the bucket. Defoil one heavy couple weeks before the end. Looking great and sorry to hear about you NL mother.

Do it! Do it! The more the merrier :)

Nice - I'm really looking forward to seeing how the defoliated one compares

:thumb:

+reps on the experiment it will be awesome to see to comparison come harvest time

Thanks. I hear maybe up to 20% more yield. But that would probably have been with at least a defoliation in VEG also. I am hoping for a 10% to 20% but that is purely speculator. Even if it comes out exactly the same I couldn't say it was a failure considering they are 2 different plants. Although the same strain, germinated at the same time, topped at the same time and LST'd the same.

I defoliated what I considered the smaller plant (bud sites) to see if it comes out the same or greater weight at harvest.

Aurora Indica 53 days VEG

New growth is nice and green and vigorous. Some continued yellowing of fan leaves.
P10008101.JPG

P10008121.JPG

Transplanted my ICE clones, around 50+ days old. They were starting to show signs of unhappiness. Browning at the edges, calcium deficiency and yellow tips, nitrogen deficiency. Also close to root bound. They wouldn't hold water very long and I could not push my finger into the soil because it was all roots. I used "Roots organic formula 707" soil. decided to get rid of the last bit of FFOF. I think I put to much garden lime in it.
P1000811.JPG

Planning on flower day 1 as Oct 1st.

ICE day 53 flower: Normal vs. Defoliated

In the Box:
P1000828.JPG

Normal each side
P10008261.JPG

P10008251.JPG

Defoliated each side
P1000824.JPG

P10008232.JPG

Topside: Normal vs. Defoliated
P1000820.JPG

P1000819.JPG

Topside: Normal
P10008212.JPG

Topside: Defoliated
P10008221.JPG

It seems like the defoliated has bigger buds but I think it could be an optical illusion considering I see all bud and no fan leaves. The normal plant has nice buds as well. Probably should have taken some caliper measurements and compared growth. But... I don't have any calipers.

Harvest day will be at day 60. I need to get the plants in VEG in by that date because of future obligations.

:peacetwo:

Nice thread, to be honest and not cause I have seen lots of cfl grows but your harvest are most def. the nicest looking cfl buds i've seen, nice and chunky and they look greasy!
Reps for pulling it off, congrats brother

Thank you very much s1ingblade. I have been wanting to follow a Cap'n grow and I thank you for stopping by. I will be sub'd on your grow shortly :)

Back
Top Bottom