I'm glad they're on the mend!

FFOF works well if you will be continuing with the nutrients, as the stuff FF puts in there is barely enough for young cannabis plants. Growers I know that use OF still start feeding from the second set of leaves.

The Recipe 420 soil looks to have a lot more nutrients in it:
Ingredients: Aged forest products, coir, sphagnum peat moss, pumice, earthworm castings, feather meal, seabird guano, crab meal, fish bone meal, oyster shell lime (pH adjuster), dolomite lime (pH adjuster), bat guano, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, and wetting agent (yucca schidigera saponin).
Source

Though they do pitch their own nutrient line so maybe those are all at low levels like FFOF! Hard to tell from looking at the product info.

Folks here have a lot of experience growing in FFOF, so that's where I would lean as it's a known quantity. But I'm sure the Recipe 420 stuff will work well too. Not much of a recommendation I know. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Hello Again! My plants are about 7 weeks old now and we had some really hot weather here over 100 degrees followed by extreme winds, 2 out 11 plants got a little burned, so at night when the sun went down I transplanted all my 1 gall pots to 7 to 10 gall pots. They are doing much better now, but a few of them didn't seem to have a ton of roots? Not sure why? A few of them are nice and green but have some drooping leavings but the soil is moist, why is this happening? Also the Flora Nova Is a bit cumbersome to water such a large crop. Is there a non liquid alternative? I planted them all in the "Recipe 420 soil " w/ nutrients in it:
Ingredients: Aged forest products, coir, sphagnum peat moss, pumice, earthworm castings, feather meal, seabird guano, crab meal, fish bone meal, oyster shell lime (pH adjuster), dolomite lime (pH adjuster), bat guano, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, and wetting agent (yucca schidigera saponin).) Thanks in advance!

One of the main issues with moving from a 1 gallon pot to a 7/10 gallon pot is the tendency to overwater. The original roots (however many there were) are only 1 gallon in size, so all the water in the remaining 6-9 gallons just sits there, making everything too wet. Water leaves the soil mostly from the plant taking it up from the roots rather than evaporation, so there's nothing in the rest of the soil to suck up all that water.

Are these in plastic pots, which will take even longer to dry out solely from evaporation than cloth ones?
Also the Flora Nova Is a bit cumbersome to water such a large crop. Is there a non liquid alternative?
I'm not sure what make the Flora Nova cumbersome since anyone using liquid nutes is mixing up gallons of nutes and measuring out bottles is doing the same thing.

That said, there is a product called GeoFlora that you top-dress every 10-14 days and water in. They are a sponsor here as well! Ideally you would have blended it into your soil before transplanting, but if you start with the top dress it just means you have to use your liquid nutrients for the 10-14 days it takes for the GF to start working.

Their info page on the site is here:

oops ! Half of them are in decorative terra cotta pots the rest in plastic. Would it be beneficial if I just water a little circle around the plant may be in a 6 inch diameter closest to the stems/ roots? And the plants that are drooping, is that a watering issue?

8BCA7385-FCC3-435A-9A17-5384273D7FD5.jpeg

B8F5A14C-6323-453D-B72E-F8D9210B6F29.jpeg

E66C8DC7-3C37-4312-9379-D5DB959B1CFC.jpeg

86DD2D99-913B-4B86-B2E5-2F546703545C.jpeg

My ladies are growing! Today begins their 10th week and it looks like they are starting to flower but I’m not sure was wondering if it looks like that to you? What nutrients would you suggest I move to for the flowering stage. Got the hang of the liquid nutrients now so far I’ve stuck with the floor nova grow but I think I’m supposed to change now that they’re flowering is that correct?

9AC18A8B-DD34-4439-8B40-61E3A2ACCEF5.jpeg

3BBF196C-8D74-4364-AD5F-42583945B76B.jpeg

I think the drop is because i just watered them this morning? not sure They may be a but over watered, I also gave the leaves a spray then shook off the leaves well after.
They look a heck of a lot better than they did a month ago, so :welldone: on that! Is the leaf droop from being too wet or too dry?

Do you have the Flora Nova flowering line as well? You can stick with the veg for a little while longer, but soon you would be transitioning to flowering nutes.
I just watered them this morning I did spray a little on the leaves and then shut them off really well it’s quite windy here so they dried pretty fast normally I don’t spray the leaves. I’m not exactly sure if that’s why they’re drooping or not but it could be. I do not have the Flora nova flowering and I’m all out of the gross to the only thing I have is some tiger bloom that I picked up this morning at the local nursery was wondering if I should use this next or what? Someone told me The Tiger bloom alone isn't enough and maybe its too early for it? Any way this is what the leaves normally look like :). FAn leaves are getting larger. How can i tell when they start the flowering stage?

BD2CDA9C-EB77-40AC-A557-AE298E4FD183.jpeg

It's easy to over-water in ceramic pots, so that's something to keep an eye on. The lower soil often stays wet while the top dries out. Unless you're foliar feeding there's no need to spray the leaves, and doing it in direct sun isn't usually a good idea.

In terms of nutes, Tiger Bloom is part of the Fox Farms trio (along with Big Bloom and Grow Big), so you would really need all three to give your plants what they need to get to harvest successfully.

I hope you're in a legal state with that pic you posted!

You will see pistils start to appear in the new growth. Anytime between now and August depending on your latitude and the strain.
Me again! Does this look like a female to you it doesn’t scream balls but there is one little weird little
FCD9C19C-6B1F-41B2-8F28-92F0246CDA22.jpeg
thing there that could be throwing me off

C51007D8-B2B9-4E7F-AFE6-BCC510CDE08F.jpeg

Hi LKV.

I think there is a possibility that the droop that you are seeing is from heat stress.

I found a little snippet that may help shine a light on your issue.

This is from a much longer article but I wanted to get straight to the point.....

"Plants mainly wilt during high temperatures because their transpiration rate exceeds the rate at which they can absorb water."
- Virginia Tech horticulture professor Bonnie Appleton.

I'm seeing a few plants around your area with similar issues. When they do this you can put them in part shade to alleviate some of this stress.

Good luck with your gals.

Hi LKV.

I think there is a possibility that the droop that you are seeing is from heat stress.

I found a little snippet that may help shine a light on your issue.

This is from a much longer article but I wanted to get straight to the point.....

"Plants mainly wilt during high temperatures because their transpiration rate exceeds the rate at which they can absorb water."
- Virginia Tech horticulture professor Bonnie Appleton.

I'm seeing a few plants around your area with similar issues. When they do this you can put them in part shade to alleviate some of this stress.

Good luck with your gals.
I’m not sure about that, they seem to be still be drooping in the mornings when it’s foggy here. Im in Marin county, we get a bit of that Bay Area fog in the early summer mornings but it heats up to the 70s quickly before lunch time. The drooping is concerning, I’ll try some shade for them.

Me too! Once you see those mini-calyxes forming at the nodes it shouldn't be long before you can tell for sure. Females will put a pistil out of the tip and males tend to have a small stalk that grows below the bump, pushing it away from the plant.
Thank you! I'm a little sad today over my Miss DROOPY PANTS plant , leaves feel dry and seem to be getting worse. I checked the soil about 4 inches down and it feels nice but not wet or moist , I'm pretty sure its not over watered. I may have a drainage problem there but not sure, i did put some loose chunky rocks in the bottom of the pot to allow good drainage. Temps here this week are perfect 55 at night 78 day Not too hot we have lots of bay coastal breeze to keep us just right.
I Just gave her a nice drink with Flora Bloom nutes this morning, which i think was the right thing to do. Pretty sure she's beginning flowering mode. I sure would hate to loose this one. I'm wondering if I should re-pot her. I'm afraid to loose her at this stage.

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 10.57.19 AM.png

Those pots are really for ornamentals and not cannabis, which likes well-drained soil. If you can tip that on its side and get the plant out without too much damage to the rootball I would move it into something else. Do you have cloth pots up there? Geopots sells them online as does Amazon, but your local hydro or big box store might have some as well. I go with light colors to avoid the heat, but black will still be better than that beautiful ceramic one. :)

Back
Top Bottom