LKV

Phosperous deficiency or Nutrient burn or both? What to do?
OG KUSH double sour:
I'm a new outdoor grower, Sprouted 11 seeds have them all growing out doors, at 3 weeks transplanted them into 1gal pots with Fox Farm ocean soil. all was good Fed them with a mix of FloraNova liquid & water solution at 4 weeks. at least 6 of the plants bottom leaves began to turn brown and a few are spotted over almost all of the leaves but edges are not brown, NOT the tips. 2 plants unaffected,
I stopped with the nutrients about 10 days ago and i'm just flushing with water.
I live in California so they get plenty of sunshine and wind. What to do?
any help is appreciated they are 5 weeks old now. Thanks in advance.

can dk spots.jpg

can group.jpg

cnspots.jpg

At 5 weeks they should be considerably larger.
Id say most likely a root issue from tiny pots, root bound which could cause deficiencies.

If these are staying outside you should put in ground or at minimum 20+ gallon fabric pots.
started out in 2" containers from seeds and were just transplanted 2 weeks ago, so root bound is not the issue, When took them out of their e2" containers the roots were not that big. when they reach about t foot tall i'll put them in 5 gal pots

At 5 weeks they should be considerably larger.
Id say most likely a root issue from tiny pots, root bound which could cause deficiencies.

If these are staying outside you should put in ground or at minimum 20+ gallon fabric pots.
I don't recommend anyone going from 1 gallon to 20 gallons without expert knowledge of watering small plants in big pots! Also, what's the matter with 7 gallon pots outside? I get 7-12 ounces/plant from mine.

Should i use this combo of water and flora nova every time i water my plants 2 or 3 times a week?
They recommend plain water to runoff every 4th watering. And it says to shake the bottle vigorously before mixing!

started out in 2" containers from seeds and were just transplanted 2 weeks ago, so root bound is not the issue, When took them out of their e2" containers the roots were not that big. when they reach about t foot tall i'll put them in 5 gal pots
5 gallons might get a bit tight by the end of the season, so I'd recommend 7s if you have them available.

"I don't recommend anyone going from 1 gallon to 20 gallons without expert knowledge of watering small plants in big pots! Also, what's the matter with 7 gallon pots outside? I get 7-12 ounces/plant from mine"

The only problem that anyone needs to learn to fix is creating a proper soil tilth.
With a proper soil its pretty hard to over water, pretty much the same as Coco.
And yes of course you can get good grow from small 7 to 10 gal pots but to me that's actually far more difficult to do for someone leaning n00b than just teaching how to create or buy a proper medium so its much easier to water.

I don't recommend anyone going from 1 gallon to 20 gallons without expert knowledge of watering small plants in big pots! Also, what's the matter with 7 gallon pots outside? I get 7-12 ounces/plant from mine.

They recommend plain water to runoff every 4th watering. And it says to shake the bottle vigorously before mixing!

5 gallons might get a bit tight by the end of the season, so I'd recommend 7s if you have them available.
Thanks so every 4th watering i'll use plain water to run off ❤️

The only problem that anyone needs to learn to fix is creating a proper soil tilth.
With a proper soil its pretty hard to over water, pretty much the same as Coco.
And yes of course you can get good grow from small 7 to 10 gal pots but to me that's actually far more difficult to do for someone leaning n00b than just teaching how to create or buy a proper medium so its much easier to water.
So your recommendation is that LKV start learning how to create a proper soil tilth and grow in 20 gallon pots? I don't think that's the immediate solution to the problem that led them to post here!

Thanks so every 4th watering i'll use plain water to run off ❤️
Always good to water to some runoff every time you water, with or without nutrients!

Regardless of pot size a proper soil is desirable and makes growing easier.
The larger pot makes it easier still.

Don't have to worry about pH, don't have to worry about over or under feeding, over watering, etc.
Just water with 5% of the soil volume per day with plain water, done.

It doesn't get any easier than that.

So yeah, I like giving that advice.

To each his own.
If he was growing in large pots in proper soil he wouldn't be here with a problem, would just be posting pics of his 5 week old 3 foot tall healthy plants.
The best way to cure a problem is don't get it in the first place.

90% of all the growing problems i see here are self inflicted by trying to grow in small plastic pots in soil that doesn't drain properly and hold oxygen.
There's no buffer for mistakes.

True, I am guilty of trying to get people to grow differently than they are instead of offering a bandaid for a bullet wound.
I can't help myself, just the way I am wired.

The best way to cure a problem is don't get it in the first place.
You know you're posting in the Problems, Pests & Disease Control part of the website? It's easy to go to every post and say "don't get that problem/pest/disease and you'll be better off," but that's not why this section was created. You understand that, yes?
I am guilty of trying to get people to grow differently than they are instead of offering a bandaid for a bullet wound.
I can't help myself, just the way I am wired.
If you want to convince someone that your way is better (known as "proselytizing"), you should lead off that way, rather than posting advice like it's the answer to the question the OP had.

You know you're posting in the Problems, Pests & Disease Control part of the website? It's easy to go to every post and say "don't get that problem/pest/disease and you'll be better off," but that's not why this section was created. You understand that, yes?

If you want to convince someone that your way is better (known as "proselytizing"), you should lead off that way, rather than posting advice like it's the answer to the question the OP had.
Thank you so much for all of your stealth advice. You provided a a solution for where i'm at now vs what I should or could have done earlier. But all is noted. You Rock!

when they reach about t foot tall i'll put them in 5 gal pots
Just wanted to mention you're better off transplanting by looking at the roots (or how often they need water) than the height of the plant. With plastic pots it's easy to slide the rootball out and have a look (in the shade). It should be wall to wall roots before you upcan (but before they start to circle the pot), or needing water every couple of days.

Just wanted to mention you're better off transplanting by looking at the roots (or how often they need water) than the height of the plant. With plastic pots it's easy to slide the rootball out and have a look (in the shade). It should be wall to wall roots before you upcan (but before they start to circle the pot), or needing water every couple of days.
AWESOME ADVICE THANK YOU!

What kind of soil do you recommend for transplanting into 7 gall containers? they are now in Fox farms ocean But hear really good things from local growers about Recipe 420 | Recipe 420
Btw My plants are looking so much better after following your advice! Thank you!

I'm glad they're on the mend!

FFOF works well if you will be continuing with the nutrients, as the stuff FF puts in there is barely enough for young cannabis plants. Growers I know that use OF still start feeding from the second set of leaves.

The Recipe 420 soil looks to have a lot more nutrients in it:
Ingredients: Aged forest products, coir, sphagnum peat moss, pumice, earthworm castings, feather meal, seabird guano, crab meal, fish bone meal, oyster shell lime (pH adjuster), dolomite lime (pH adjuster), bat guano, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, and wetting agent (yucca schidigera saponin).
Source

Though they do pitch their own nutrient line so maybe those are all at low levels like FFOF! Hard to tell from looking at the product info.

Folks here have a lot of experience growing in FFOF, so that's where I would lean as it's a known quantity. But I'm sure the Recipe 420 stuff will work well too. Not much of a recommendation I know. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom