Contest Awards - Input Needed

Please Vote For Contest Rule Changes

• Keep things the same

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Do away with runner ups (old winners keep titles)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Do away with runner ups (old winners lose titles)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do away with runner up titles but still award the rep points (old winners keep titles)

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Do away with runner up titles but still award the rep points (old winners lose titles)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Add the date for the latest win to the member's title

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Do not add the date for the latest win to the member's title

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Or for instance someone could have POM winner (4/09), 2xNOM winner, 3xMOM winner. You follow me? Or we could shorten it even more to POM win (4/09), 2xNOM win, 3xMOM win. Either one would give the information needed for people to see that particular persons standing in this forum, no?

could you use an icon?

for instance red ribbon - NOM
yellow - POM
green - MOM

then if you won 3 you could just have 3 ribbons, that would save some room i think.

Exhibiting or feeling great or offensive satisfaction with oneself or with one's situation?

andy wants to get rid of his own win and only have 1st. i don't really care what soniq decides, whatever he does it's all in good fun.

lets not get crazy with the big words ;)

opinions are great, ideas, suggestions, intelligent comments all very welcome. questions, comments. friendly chit chat doesn't even bother me.

negativity just isn't needed.:peace::ganjamon::ganjamon:

So whats everyones thoughts on adding the 3X winner, or 2X winner for multiple winners in a specific category. Noone really said anything about that and Im just interested in what you all think about that. I think it should take care of the "so the contests dont get lame" crowd. Because you can have an infinite amount of wins, ya know. Just a thought. What do you guys think? It wouldnt work so well if you were still giving people titles for second and third however, well...it would get crowded it seems. But otherwise the icons do make sense for the three different contests like wheel o said. That really makes sense and saves space, great idea man!

Soniq,

Take it from someone that has directed others for the better part of 15 years; you won't make everyone happy. After all this is a forum where we pass time and enjoy our hobby.....it shouldn't be too much work for ANYONE.....

.....but if you start adding dates, times, months, ribbons, etc.....you'll wind up with a shitload of work that will make you miserable. Take some advice and keep these contests simple. Way to much thought is going into this. Simply nix the 2nd and 3rd place titles......either you win it or you don't.

Reward rep points for 2nd and 3rd but no title and def no dates, etc.

The only catch that has to be worked out is the POM and NOM. I know people like to enter these each month. Somehow you'll have to differentiate. Maybe the 2x or 3x deal can be added to your title. But then will you be allowed to have multiple MOM titles as well?

Anyway....... remember Soniq.... K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)....if things are not kept simple, this little forum that's supposed to be fun will cause you to have Migraines.

WOF...
I love the ribbon idea but unfortunately that field doesn't allow for emoticons or symbols. I just tried putting one in my sig and it only displays the symbol keystroke shortcuts. I don't see any other open fields that are "admin control only". We'd need to make sure I wasn't chasing self awarded titles around the boards ;)

420fied...
I like the KISS as well and in the end, but so far we're just venting our spleen. I won't sign up for anything that adds way more work. I like the thoughts that are coming forward and if people are enjoying talking about the potential, all is well.

greenisland.. I hear you on using the latest date only - that looks cleaner
I'm not sure about abbreviating the title though. If the goal is to have the new members look to other members title to get a feel for the chops; will they get the initials?

I like the use of numbers for multiple wins

That said it isn't about what I like (except that I'm under instructions not to take on extra work in the contest area). We'll throw a poll up and get the votes of what people want in the end

I think we're almost at the point where we can narrow the focus to a few options and see what the collective we really want ;)

Thx for the mature, intellegent discussion. I love you guys

Honestly it seems like a LOT of us are actually going in the same direction. Yes shortening the names would make it less obviouse to newcomers what is going on, it would be nice to spell things out for people cause yeah soniq420 they probably wouldnt know what it meant, ur right. Scratch that idea but basicall all the rest is exactly as 420fied has layed out and all seem to like that layout. Would this make more work for you Soniq420?

Now I just need to work on being a better member and maybe, just maybe I could take the MOM title too. lol. Goin for the TRIfecta here guys. lol. This has been a rather friendly nice disscussion if you ask me, maybe were all more mature than we thought.

With that said I like 420fieds layout, and the 3X wins thing just makes sense to me, especially if we have the same people hanging out here 5-10 years in a row. Im sure Ill be here 5 years from now... that is if the site is still here. Yet another 2 cents of mine...(you would think I would be out of pennies by now.) Goodnight ya'll

I've been watching this thread for a couple of days with great interest. I wanted to think about this before responding so I could do a little reflection and try and get to understand everyone's feelings.

I agree with Andy so I sparked a good one tonight before writing.

I agree w/ 420fied. I would like to see only the winners with the avatar but I would still like to award the reps, if possible, to 2nd &3rd. Even though this would mean losing my POM 2nd under my name as Andy mentioned earlier. And let me tell you, I'm very proud of my POM 2nd (Ooh-RAH OldMedMan! We likes our ribbons):rollit:I think it is cleaner and a little less work to keep up with for the mods.

I liked the earlier post that mentioned maybe adding those 2nd & 3rd awards on the users public profile. However, This goes back to making more work for the mods. For me that's a dealbreaker. I thought about signing up to mod on this site. Then I thought about how hard it was for me to keep up with work, family, my grow and my grow journal. It was hard enough to keep up with my posts and subscriptions. I couldn't even think about keeping up with hundreds more every day.

So two key things: Keep it fun and keep it simple (for everyone.)

Soniq and the distinguished gentleman from DaBeach, Thank-you!
I appreciate this site more than you guys can know. I have seen hundreds of forums on dozens of interests. For my own particular likes and dislikes, this site is the best. 99.99% of all other forums are ridden with useless information or rude flamers. I've reached an age where I'm past the drama. Calm is good. Stress is bad. I get a lot of good info from very knowledgeable people presented in a friendly manner here. Oh yeah, for free! It's a lot of work for a staff that is probably 95% (or so) volunteer. I thank Soniq for doing all this and I thank Andy everyone else here for keeping it friendly, fun, informative and for the civility. I really appreciate that we can have a discussion where just because we don't agree with each other doesn't mean we aren't still friends.

I know I've been rambling so thanks for hangin' in there with me.

-PP

Hi Boys and Girls ;)
Let me see if I can put this in the right words. As you probably know I'm older than dirt. I was on the Internet long before it was made public and I would set around and dream of something like we have here. A person or persons would present a problem and get answers from many points of view and cultures from all over the world. In a peaceful way and with respect. We are doing it right now. We've kinda of created a Gestalt where all the parts have added up to something more than the total. I know it's over prizes and ribbons. The fact that we are doing it is a great feeling for me. Thanks to all of us.:peace:

maybe we could just award the the top 3 vote getters and put a little message under their name saying where they placed. then rep these members, oh, say, 100pts for 1st - 25pts for 2nd and 10 for 3rd

hmmm, but then again that sounds too complicated, i doubt if it would work ... :peace:

Back
Top Bottom