Contest Awards - Input Needed

Please Vote For Contest Rule Changes

• Keep things the same

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Do away with runner ups (old winners keep titles)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Do away with runner ups (old winners lose titles)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do away with runner up titles but still award the rep points (old winners keep titles)

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Do away with runner up titles but still award the rep points (old winners lose titles)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Add the date for the latest win to the member's title

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Do not add the date for the latest win to the member's title

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keith Lake

420 Emeritus
420 Staff
A couple people have raised the issue of the changing the contest award; such that only the first place winner gets the title.

My initial reaction is that it doesn't feel right to take something away once it's been given out. It was May 2009 that we added the 2nd and 3rd place awards - based on member feedback.

That said, there's a groundswell in the other direction so we want to discuss it take the pulse of the community.

My personal goal is to settle things in a way that makes the majority the happiest. :surf:

The permutations I can think of are listed below. If anyone has any other variants I haven't thought of, please throw them on the table.

I'm looking forward to hearing thoughts on this - maybe we'll put a poll up when we clarify the options.

1) Keep things the same
2) Do away with runner ups (old winners keep titles)
3) Do away with runner ups (old winners lose titles)
4) Do away with runner up titles but still award the rep points (old winners keep titles)
5) Do away with runner up titles but still award the rep points (old winners lose titles)

Please vent your spleen ;)
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

PPS (preemptive post script)-Sorry we aren't going to be adding any new contests at this point-we've got a hard ruling from the big boss on this one-until we either get more resources or until I get my project backlog cleaned up

At present, all titles stay for life (or until you're co-opted to join staff ;))

At some stage we may need to revisit this; mathematically the volume of titles will dilute their value

You can only win MOTM once per 6 months for the reason you outlined. Just like rep we're trying to make sure it gets spread around before reissue ;)

This is a fair point that can be visited now as well

I just vote to keep things the way they are,if its not broke don,t fix it and I think a few people a month should get a chance at winning even if its 2nd or 3rd no matter what it may be,and why make a big deal about something that has been set a certain way as long as I have been here and probably a lot longer then that.lets just stay to growing good smoke and if you get 3rd place on a plant thats neat.just my view.but I do think if you win a certain category 1st place,you should not be able to win in that category for 3 to 6 mos.but only first.

take a look at it from a growers view point. are the current conditions viable? i have no reason to comment on such issues. just happened to read this one. if everything is going good why shake it up. if its too much do away with it. if you have a system set up on votes-keep it that way . first,second ,and third are good enough for the olimpics. this standard has been around a long time.anyone who wins anything on this site should consider it an honor, not bitch about the rules. if it aint broke dont try to fix it. if it is broke , then there is no way to repair it. all you ego maniacs just let up . this is a great site thats here to help people such as myself. thats how it started and hope to see it continue . everyones aware of your skills. JUST DONT MESS THIS UP FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

Since there cannot be a separate indoor and outdoor plant of the month, then keeping the 2nd and 3rd makes some sense. What other reasons brought up this thread? Just curious.

personally i like variant 4, but i don't have a strong opinion. I did like all of the math terms soniq used in the first post!

then if you win first, and it is for life, i don't think you should run again. if the tag runs out, then you should be able to run again after it runs out. unless you wanted to put a number on it like nug of the month (3) meaning won it 3 times that might be cool too. at least for the plant and nug areas, maybe not for member since you cant like submit different nugs each month in that catagory.

i hope you follow that, andy told me to smoke before i post. lol.

I honestly think the titles are for new members and new growers. Its a way for them to look (at titles and reps) and gauge a members potential to help. I look at a reps as a representation of a knowledge base. Then I read posts and threads by the member and if it seems like there are more informative posts than chit chat I figure this person has to know something and now its time to find out what they know. For me as a grower, the title doesn't mean as much as the lessons learned from the experience, the bond formed between myself and my fellow brothers and sisters in our corner of cannabis movement. How could I forget one of the most important rewards, GOOD MEDS!! So taking or leaving titles really makes no difference to me personally although once a fighter wins a belt he's commonly referred to as "champ" long after his career ends (look at Ali, Leonard, Foreman to name a few). I don't feel its right to take anything that has been earned by any member in the past under different rules. Now if titles are taken, the members should be allowed to run again. If the majority does vote to do away with 2nd and third place then I'd like to motion a new contest section for outdoor growers. Maybe after a certain period of time the titles can be removed from the avatar seen when posting and applied to a members personal profile page somewhere so when members visit to message they are give a little more insight. For example 6 months from now remove the 1st place winner from JustAddWater's Avatar and place it in the About me section of his page or something. This was just an example and this is just a thought.

That sounds about right BWC, I was thinking along the same line. If you want to check out growers all around success look at their profile and all achievements would show there and that way you wouldn't lose the title just wouldn't be pasted on avatar after a certain period.

I think these contests are a lot of fun, and I try to keep them at that level of seriousness because my ego likes to run with stuff like this.

The contests seem to be a good thing. Sometimes we look for solutions to problems that don't exist, and sometimes change is good.

These are my current thoughts:

Don't remove titles from any past winners.

Just have one MOM per month, make title permanent, winner can't run again.

Keep POTM and NOTM the same and the winners hold the title for 6 months (or whatever works to keep the numbers down so that the titles are meaningful).

I think contests, awards and titles are a good way to award recognition, but I also think that it can get saturated and lame easily, as well. Some people take contests seriously, for others it's a laugh. I'm personally curious to hear what people think of the contests ?

I think its a good way to show the "creme de la creme" buds and plants.I always like to look at the POTM and BOTM threads because of this.And sometimes when I feel bored I enter myself xD

Up to this point I have held my peace on contest issues, I can't enter them so why worry. However the time has come for me to spill my feelings on this so here we go.

Every month there is some dissatisfaction with the way the contests are run. Generally, there will be a nominee who decides that one plant/nug submission is not fair...generally a self serving argument designed to give an advantage, real or perceived, to them for the contest. We even had a disagreement on what constitutes a damn nug, the argument centering around the freshness of a nug. Unbelievable.

These contests were conceived, not to promote sniping among the community, but as a way for growers to have an opportunity to show off what they've grown to the community at large. However, for the last few months, there have been consistent complaints about this, that or the other, and frankly I think it's getting old.

Contests are supposed to be fun, as I said before, a place for proud growers to present what they've grown to sections of the community who may not have had the opportunity to follow along with a journal. I can't enter or win a contest, staff is not eligible, but I posted a pic of a plant I grew because I wanted others to see it. It was fun just to have it looked at.

It's supposed to be fun but, regrettably, it no longer is due to all the hair splitting and complaining. So here's my suggestion.

1-A plant is a plant...indoor or outdoor, it makes no difference.
2-A nug is a nug...regardless of cure or lack thereof.
3-1 title winner in both catagories...rep points for the top three.
4-1 year wait for title winners to be eligible again...rep winners have to wait 6 months to enter again.
5-Immediate disqualification for any nominee who openly complains about or tries to have modified, the rules for the contest.
6-If we go through this nonsense anymore, eliminate the contests for good.

I know how much time Soniq has to give to these contests every month. It is a substantial investment of time to administrate 3 monthly contests, and frankly, I know he has better things to spend his limited time on than holding court over this junk.

People, it's supposed to be fun, let's remember that. And if you can't have fun with it...don't enter.

SouthernWeed,I totally agree with you.This should be for fun,just for fun.Dont take it too serious..and if you loose,try again next month.Last time I entered I got 1 vote(lol),but i didnt care about it because it was fun to see all the nice entries.

I agree it would be wonderful to have the perfect set of contest rules that would never need revision.

I'm for optimization and that's what I'm trying to get out of this thread. Collectively, I promise we won't let the spirit of the 2004 Florida Presdidential election creep into the process ;)

Vent your spleen ;)

I'm seeing some good points that are improvements (WOF's for example)

keep em coming, and we'll go to a poll and settle once and for all

I think MOTM, POTM and NOTM should show under avater for a month then in profile as past achivement....with MOTM i think one winner ...the best for that month as title states.....Plant and nug of month should have runners up because there is no indoor/outdoor section....And all deserver there props for their hard work :passitleft: and ya all have already figured out the fairness of not winning MOTM back to back...you all are doing a great job :thanks:

PS these are all things already said in here i am just picking ones i like LOL

I just want to say its nice for a 2nd and 3rd are in there it seems to give a chance for more people to share the love and maybe they will stay around longer and donate or buy from sponsors etc.Its very exciting as a 3rd place winner of nug on my first grows it instilled in me a confidence that I can achieve what I came for.enough said from me whatever the turnout so be it.:surf:

congradts spike69 on first grow and third place Well done :passitleft:

thx tunes congrats on light and grow thats going.that had a big effect on me as a brand new grower and I think every 1 should get the chance at the same thing happening to them.

Back
Top Bottom