Vote for the New 420 Magazine Logo

• Miro #1

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Miro #2

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Miro #3

Votes: 23 52.3%

• Total voters
Thank you for the critique and samples, 420.
Made some changes. Hope to see more submissions from others.

420magazine1.jpg

420magazine2.jpg

Thank you for the critique and samples, 420.
Made some changes. Hope to see more submissions from others.

420magazine1.jpg

420magazine2.jpg

Nice submissions Twelve12!

Nice submissions Twelve12!

how about inlaying a bud pic inside of the letters in the 420 magazine so that it looks like your writing the words out in bud font, it would most likely look like cammo lettering or something...does that make any since?

just throwing it out to see where it sticks, since I cant do anything from this comp. I have to just sit back and watch I guess...lol :yummy:

Think about something that is kinda' covert too but has meaning to those in the know, sometimes having a pot leaf on a shirt might draw too much attention to the cops in states like mine where you would no doubt be stared at and maybe even rousted...that's Nazism for ya!

Good luck guys :welldone::thanks:

Ought to be able to find a symbol other than a cannabis leaf. Nothing against it as such, but it has negative feelings for many. Every time I read a report of someone getting busted for "that evil weed" (lol) the television station or newspaper has placed cannabis leaves prominently at both sides of the top of the article. Show something with cannabis leaves on it to many non-consumers and they turn thier noses up while they shut their eyes and their minds.

What about something that hints at the medicinal, industrial, food and nutritional aspects?

Of course if you just want to get noticed in a positive way by those of us who already understand, a cannabis leaf is fine. After all, it's what we've come to expect as a symbol from cannabis information sites, seedbanks, dispensary sites, NORML sites, et cetera.

The above is only my opinion of course. I almost didn't post it, but after spending the five minutes to attempt to state it tactfully, I figured that I would go ahead and spend the two minutes to type it, lol.

I'm seeking a logo like Microsoft, Mac, Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, real serious branding, not something fun and recreational, more classy and serious, medical, media, publishing, something you would see representing a well established, credible mission of a large organization. Leaf is unimportant, I might even be satisfied with mere text, all depends on what you guys are able to manifest.

You have the right mindset 420. The logos of the great organizations/companies are very simple. Look around, and you may be surprised how many of your favorite or common places have very simple logos.

They're easy to remember, easy to print, and work well in b & w.

Not many colors is typically a popular thing as well, for printing reasons along with the simplicity factor.

Imagine how much money Apple saved when their infamous rainbow color logo was changed to simply white.

These are nice JJ, thank you so much for your entries brother. Still not seeing the winner yet however, please keep them coming. :cheer:

Everyone please upload a version that is at least 800 to 1024 pixels wide so we can get a nice big shot of it. :thanks:
:Namaste:

Is it possible for you or the collective staff to provide input on the concepts provided so we can go back to the drawing board and find something that can better suit your vision?

We can do unlimited revisions, with ideas of what is working, what isn't, etc to get there.

Or is this more of just submit it, and wait.

Hopefully we can all keep the input coming from yourself to make tweaks or just get completely new concepts out there.

Unfortunately I won't have the time to work individually with all of you, all I can say is.
I'm seeking a logo like Microsoft, Mac, Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, real serious branding, not something fun and recreational, more classy and serious, medical, media, publishing, something you would see representing a well established, credible mission of a large organization. Leaf is unimportant, I might even be satisfied with mere text, all depends on what you guys are able to manifest.
:thanks: :Namaste:

Ought to be able to find a symbol other than a cannabis leaf. Nothing against it as such, but it has negative feelings for many. Every time I read a report of someone getting busted for "that evil weed" (lol) the television station or newspaper has placed cannabis leaves prominently at both sides of the top of the article. Show something with cannabis leaves on it to many non-consumers and they turn thier noses up while they shut their eyes and their minds.

What about something that hints at the medicinal, industrial, food and nutritional aspects?

Of course if you just want to get noticed in a positive way by those of us who already understand, a cannabis leaf is fine. After all, it's what we've come to expect as a symbol from cannabis information sites, seedbanks, dispensary sites, NORML sites, et cetera.

The above is only my opinion of course. I almost didn't post it, but after spending the five minutes to attempt to state it tactfully, I figured that I would go ahead and spend the two minutes to type it, lol.

TorturedSoul, you make a lot of really good points. But, in my opinion the leaf is a universal symbol of not only marijuana but the movement as well. You look at this symbol and everyone knows what it is. We should not shy away from it and give into the government propaganda about it. I believe this symbol is a good starting point to start a dialog and we should be educating about it not shying away and hiding from it.

Just my opinion and no disrespect intended.

Here are a few quick ideas that I think would work well both on the web as well as your collateral material:

420_idea_011.jpg

420_idea_021.jpg

420_idea_031.jpg

Sorry about the size being so small, I read your size post a little late...

Long, Long-winded, Somewhat Ranting

TorturedSoul, you make a lot of really good points. But, in my opinion the leaf is a universal symbol of not only marijuana but the movement as well. You look at this symbol and everyone knows what it is.

Connotations & denotations... Some positive, some negative - depending on who you ask.

We should not shy away from it and give into the government propaganda about it. I believe this symbol is a good starting point to start a dialog and we should be educating about it not shying away and hiding from it.

It's been a good starting point... for how many years (decades?) now? Perhaps as a universal symbol, it has something to be desired. Aside from the fact that in times past, I have personally seen "mainstreamers" accept a flier, glance at the cannabis leaf on top, and immediately crumple and drop it without ever reading the information that was below that symbol...

<SHRUGS> I know - I think, lol - what I mean, but I don't know how to say it. And it isn't helped by the fact that I've got so many holes in my mind that I can no longer think through but instead must attempt to think around that when having a spoken conversation I routinely find myself stuck, hesitating, whilst I attempt to come up with the correct word regardless of whether that word is a rarely-used one such as abligurition (which my spell-checker just choked on, lol)... or a more common one such as bucket; my personal best has come and gone and I never noticed it because I was busy marauding through the hallowed halls of my own mind... with an ax. I just had to type "painting style non-concrete" into my browser's Google box because I couldn't produce the simple word "abstract" and the attempt was causing me to make angry/frustrated noises.

A business'/organization's symbol - whether it is a simple line-drawing, a four-color easy-to-reproduce graphic, a reproduction/adaption of a famous artwork/sculpture/etc., something completely abstract, or even just (stylized or non) text on a solid background - ought to serve the multiple purposes of brand-recognition (check), giving those who are already in the camp something to identify with (check)... but it also should be capable of hitting the correct buttons in the minds of those who aren't already convinced, to cause people to think instead of closing their minds (or to open minds which are already closed). Or it should be unconsciously deemed to be "not a harmful thing" by all concerned instead of provoking that ancient fight-or-flight instinct; many current business symbols have nothing to do with that business or the products/ideas it produces, yet they are easily and instantly identifiable and people have come to associate them with their respective businesses (then again, the old International Harvester Company's symbol of I on top of H always did call to my mind the picture of a person riding on a tractor, lol).

I think I've gone off at a tangent. (This post will self-destruct in 10... 9... 8...)

I draw a cannabis leaf (or use a picture, or a real leaf) and show it to someone who has been helped medically by cannabis and they think of relief from a lifetime of agony. I show it to a member of the "off-the-grid, living green with nature" crowd and he thinks of sustainability, food, and fuel. All well and good.

But I show it to the woman down the street who is slowly going insane while she tries to make ends meet and keep her house and she yells at me to never come near her or her children and considers calling the cops. I show it to the farmer who is slowly going under because he hasn't made enough off of this year's corn to pay his loan and still have enough for next years' crop and he starts b!tching about people planting "weed" on his fields. I show it to the the young man who delivers pizza because his girlfriend is pregnant who would really rather be playing X-Box and he says, "All right! Let's get stoned!" (and is that really helping the movement?) I show it to the old woman who is crippled with arthritis and eaten alive with cancer who spends hours each day preparing herself to leave the house because it takes her that long to stomp on the pain and because she is to proud to allow her neighbors to see her crying...

I read the posts by new members in the medicinal forums here. I am sure that you do to. How many of them start off something like, "I am so happy to have discovered cannabis! I have been in terrible pain for years and people have been trying to get me to try it, but I always thought it was bad..."

I would LOVE to see a new symbol that somehow helped address people like that and their fears, perhaps cause them to consider a viable treatment before they have gone past their wits end and ended up trying cannabis "because they've got nothing to lose and nothing else to try." I would like to see the many farmers of this nation - and the world - see a symbol that gives them hope that, if their children wish to continue the family profession, there will still be a farm to give them (let alone one next Spring) and that growing hemp is a GOOD thing. I wouldn't mind a symbol that if I printed up something from this site (or that was in a future print publication) and showed to the young single mother, would not cause her to automatically consider the information to be trash - so that she might actually read that information. I wouldn't mind a symbol that the lazy pizza-delivery guy might see and suddenly decide to sell his X-Box for money to buy a crib and go get a second job so that his unborn child doesn't have to depend on food-stamps, and to stop calling everyone "dude," but maybe that's being unrealistic, lol. (Still, the "lazy stoner" is part of the movement too whether he knows it or not - although which side he is actually helping remains to be seen.)

I just feel that the people that are already here don't need convincing, that a symbol would be most useful if it takes into account the thoughts and feelings of those who aren't in our camp. And in business terms... WE'LL buy and read the print publication regardless of the symbol on top of it, but we are somewhat of a limited market. One assumes that 420 would like to "break into" the greater market of readers who do not use cannabis as well.

Just my opinion and no disrespect intended.

Takes a lot more than that, bro. As long as your opinion is not wrapped around half a brick, it won't pain me.

And 420, as this post is long and contains no candidates for your contest, I will not be offended if you choose to delete it.

Re: Long, Long-winded, Somewhat Ranting

Connotations & denotations... Some positive, some negative - depending on who you ask.

It's been a good starting point... for how many years (decades?) now? Perhaps as a universal symbol, it has something to be desired. Aside from the fact that in times past, I have personally seen "mainstreamers" accept a flier, glance at the cannabis leaf on top, and immediately crumple and drop it without ever reading the information that was below that symbol...

<SHRUGS> I know - I think, lol - what I mean, but I don't know how to say it. And it isn't helped by the fact that I've got so many holes in my mind that I can no longer think through but instead must attempt to think around that when having a spoken conversation I routinely find myself stuck, hesitating, whilst I attempt to come up with the correct word regardless of whether that word is a rarely-used one such as abligurition (which my spell-checker just choked on, lol)... or a more common one such as bucket; my personal best has come and gone and I never noticed it because I was busy marauding through the hallowed halls of my own mind... with an ax. I just had to type "painting style non-concrete" into my browser's Google box because I couldn't produce the simple word "abstract" and the attempt was causing me to make angry/frustrated noises.

A business'/organization's symbol - whether it is a simple line-drawing, a four-color easy-to-reproduce graphic, a reproduction/adaption of a famous artwork/sculpture/etc., something completely abstract, or even just (stylized or non) text on a solid background - ought to serve the multiple purposes of brand-recognition (check), giving those who are already in the camp something to identify with (check)... but it also should be capable of hitting the correct buttons in the minds of those who aren't already convinced, to cause people to think instead of closing their minds (or to open minds which are already closed). Or it should be unconsciously deemed to be "not a harmful thing" by all concerned instead of provoking that ancient fight-or-flight instinct; many current business symbols have nothing to do with that business or the products/ideas it produces, yet they are easily and instantly identifiable and people have come to associate them with their respective businesses (then again, the old International Harvester Company's symbol of I on top of H always did call to my mind the picture of a person riding on a tractor, lol).

I think I've gone off at a tangent. (This post will self-destruct in 10... 9... 8...)

I draw a cannabis leaf (or use a picture, or a real leaf) and show it to someone who has been helped medically by cannabis and they think of relief from a lifetime of agony. I show it to a member of the "off-the-grid, living green with nature" crowd and he thinks of sustainability, food, and fuel. All well and good.

But I show it to the woman down the street who is slowly going insane while she tries to make ends meet and keep her house and she yells at me to never come near her or her children and considers calling the cops. I show it to the farmer who is slowly going under because he hasn't made enough off of this year's corn to pay his loan and still have enough for next years' crop and he starts b!tching about people planting "weed" on his fields. I show it to the the young man who delivers pizza because his girlfriend is pregnant who would really rather be playing X-Box and he says, "All right! Let's get stoned!" (and is that really helping the movement?) I show it to the old woman who is crippled with arthritis and eaten alive with cancer who spends hours each day preparing herself to leave the house because it takes her that long to stomp on the pain and because she is to proud to allow her neighbors to see her crying...

I read the posts by new members in the medicinal forums here. I am sure that you do to. How many of them start off something like, "I am so happy to have discovered cannabis! I have been in terrible pain for years and people have been trying to get me to try it, but I always thought it was bad..."

I would LOVE to see a new symbol that somehow helped address people like that and their fears, perhaps cause them to consider a viable treatment before they have gone past their wits end and ended up trying cannabis "because they've got nothing to lose and nothing else to try." I would like to see the many farmers of this nation - and the world - see a symbol that gives them hope that, if their children wish to continue the family profession, there will still be a farm to give them (let alone one next Spring) and that growing hemp is a GOOD thing. I wouldn't mind a symbol that if I printed up something from this site (or that was in a future print publication) and showed to the young single mother, would not cause her to automatically consider the information to be trash - so that she might actually read that information. I wouldn't mind a symbol that the lazy pizza-delivery guy might see and suddenly decide to sell his X-Box for money to buy a crib and go get a second job so that his unborn child doesn't have to depend on food-stamps, and to stop calling everyone "dude," but maybe that's being unrealistic, lol. (Still, the "lazy stoner" is part of the movement too whether he knows it or not - although which side he is actually helping remains to be seen.)

I just feel that the people that are already here don't need convincing, that a symbol would be most useful if it takes into account the thoughts and feelings of those who aren't in our camp. And in business terms... WE'LL buy and read the print publication regardless of the symbol on top of it, but we are somewhat of a limited market. One assumes that 420 would like to "break into" the greater market of readers who do not use cannabis as well.

Takes a lot more than that, bro. As long as your opinion is not wrapped around half a brick, it won't pain me.

And 420, as this post is long and contains no candidates for your contest, I will not be offended if you choose to delete it.

All I can say is wow. I did not expect a response let alone one so detailed. I appreciate your opinion and how well written it was and love to read other peoples opinions who are so passionate about them. With that said, 420 magazine.com and their soon to be publication is targeted towards a pretty specific audience. The chances of a person who is repelled or has the brainwashed idea that marijuana is the evil spawn of the devil will most likely never go on this site or purchase any magazine with pro marijuana content.

There is a reason why you only see marijuana literature in specific places and it should be readily identifiable to your target audience, why would you want your potential costumers to have to guess what your product is. Like it or not the universal symbol both for the pro as well as against is the marijuana leaf. It transcends all language. There is no doubt in the persons mind after seeing this symbol what it means. I think that watering down a logo because of the fear that someone will get upset, just does not make any sense, especially in this case. When I walk in a liquor store past the magazines, what catches my eye? WEED, HIGH, SKUNK, and soon 420 (I hope). There is no question what these are, and these publication are not hiding it, why would they? That would defeat the purpose.

As for the education, we are on two different sides of the spectrum. I believe this plant is for everyone. The "hay dude" stoner, the professional that just needs to relax after a day of work, to the patient that needs some help with pain or their appetite. All people excluding kids of course should have the right to this plant without fear of going to jail, especially since the plant was made illegal based on lies.

Here is an example of the point I am trying to make because sometimes it is hard for me to get my point across with my writing.

Let say you know there is a couple new dispensaries on a street, you are not sure what the names are so you take a drive and see if you can finds them. You see two places that are on opposite sides of the street. The only thing you see on the two buildings is Compassionate Care Clinic. One has a small marijuana leaf in the window and the other has nothing but the name. Which one are you going in first? In most cases, I would think most people are going with the one with the leaf on the window because there is no doubt that it is what you are looking for. You may ask the person in the dispensary if the clinic across the street is another dispensary but the damage is already done because more than likely you are going to get your meds from the dispensary you are in. The second dispensary lost out. You only get one chance at a first impression.

Sure you might try the second dispensary at a later date, but the first one got the first shot at your business and that is what its all about.

I kinda liked the one with the eye, how about something aimed at the political arena with a freedom theme, I don't know? Maybe give it a constitution/bill of rights feel? After all, that's what's being violated here to begin with. Just a thought :goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom