Zkittlez Auto

I water generally every 3 days when the pot is dry but this is the first watering since transplanting to 5gal pots. The 2gal pots dried out in 3 days with a 2ltr mixture. I put them in a 5 gal and I use 4 ltrs each pot same as my clone. I determine when to feed them by putting my finger into the cocopeat and if it's dry up to my knuckle I feed. I fed tonight because they were supposed to have the next week of feed yesterday but I left it another day. I'll leave them for the week and see how they go, the temp in my tent has started rising because of the second light so it should dry in a week. And I water with nutes every time I water them so generally once every 3 days I don't flush my plants unless there's a problem. I'm curious as to why the leaves were all facing up the other day and now it's showing overwatering symptoms after 3 days when they haven't been watered in the last 3 days. Last I saw it was healthy with praying leaves.
Ah... coco/peat
First, pH requirements are in the hydro range, not 6.3... 5.8 will be better for this system and should take care of the magnesium problem.
Then the watering method... you are running this like it was soil, and it is not. Coco needs to be run differently ... watered more often actually... but here is the problem:
oxygen
Because you are not drying out all the way between waterings, the lower roots never get oxygen drawn down to them. In coco, it is common to add oxygen to the water before watering, so that this problem doesn't occur. Then, most coco growers water a couple of times a day, keeping the medium wet.

I recommend you find a good coco journal and see how they do it.... I am not the expert you need in this area.

Ah... coco/peat
First, pH requirements are in the hydro range, not 6.3... 5.8 will be better for this system and should take care of the magnesium problem.
Then the watering method... you are running this like it was soil, and it is not. Coco needs to be run differently ... watered more often actually... but here is the problem:
oxygen
Because you are not drying out all the way between waterings, the lower roots never get oxygen drawn down to them. In coco, it is common to add oxygen to the water before watering, so that this problem doesn't occur. Then, most coco growers water a couple of times a day, keeping the medium wet.

I recommend you find a good coco journal and see how they do it.... I am not the expert you need in this area.
IV done all my grows this way and haven't had a problem and I usually keep it at 5.8 but IV been extremely busy. IV seen some guys running a 12 hr feed, a 24 hour constant feed and IV always done a 3 day feed. I'm thinking the watering then transplanting and watering again has caused an unhappy plant. I'll just let it dry for a bit and go from there, if it's just an overwatering issue I'll be right in a week and drop them down to 3ltrs of water each till they get bigger. IV never transplanted them this early before, it was because the plants roots were coming out the side but thankyou for all your help. I'll update in a week

Much happier today, maybe there was salt build up on-top of over watering or something.
IMG_20200814_073555.jpg
IMG_20200814_073551.jpg

Just gave them all a feed and swapping my lights tonight. I cut some clones from the big girl although I'm not too hopeful they will survive as it's my first time. I cut them then dipped and out into small cups of cocopeat in a small tent with a dome on it.
IMG_20200821_103237.jpg
IMG_20200821_103234.jpg
IMG_20200821_103230.jpg

Man that is one fat ass seed in there on the left!
I don't actually know if I planted that one or not I'll have to check soon. I'm keen to get more going. I got about 8 weeks on my clone and the autos probs have another 6-7 weeks. Next ones a full purple plant, black lemon haze auto

Then, most coco growers water a couple of times a day, keeping the medium wet.

Or daily. This high(er) frequency of water both prevents the issues that arise when coco is allowed to develop pockets of dry media and serves to add oxygen to the root zone even when the gardener does not artificially raise the level of dissolved oxygen in that water (nutrient solution); after all, it's going to have some DO in it, regardless. Even a relatively low level becomes sufficient when it gets "continually reset," so to speak. This is a case of the method turning what would be a negative in soil (never being allowed to dry out) into a positive.

I second your suggestion. And we have a coco-specific section:

But your common sense approach to gardening and your general knowledge about the various macro and micro nutrients are valuable resources, regardless of the specific method one uses to grow their plants. If I have an issue, and find an existing thread about that issue, I'll give consideration to any of your posts that I might find in that thread, no matter how I'm doing my gardening at the time.

you cant overwater coco.

No - but remember that "overwatering" is, basically, just another way of saying, "the roots don't have access to sufficient oxygen." Therefore, if the gardener has recently transplanted his/her plants into a larger container - or the environmental conditions or other factors cause the plant to not consume/transpire much water - then it is not terribly uncommon for the same issue to arise. Even though, ironically, there is plenty of water in the media. It's just not fresh water ;) . The same holds true for the "hempy" method of growing plants. Yes, the gardener tends to correct possible nutrient imbalances by watering often and to the point of runoff - but the primary benefit of doing so, IMHO, is to add more oxygen. Both of these hydroponic methods are passive. They rely on the gardener to provide oxygen to the root zone instead of aeration devices that get used in active hydroponics. Yes, aerating your nutrient solution before pouring it in will (I suppose) provide some degree of benefit. Probably only significantly so if you mix your nutrient solution in advance instead of when you use it. The main thing is, add nutrient solution every day, even if/when it means you'll get runoff. This means you're not really gaining much by transplanting into larger containers before there is a need to (again, "IMHO").

DISCLAIMER: While I have grown using passive hydroponic methods - and will again in the future - I definitely don't specialize in it, and will always like the DWC (active) hydroponic method the best, precisely because I can use devices like aquarium power heads to constantly add oxygen to the root zone. So it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion when I offer suggestions/advice/opinions. Well, that's a good rule of thumb no matter what the subject matter or who the person is that's offering the first one, yes?

Or daily. This high(er) frequency of water both prevents the issues that arise when coco is allowed to develop pockets of dry media and serves to add oxygen to the root zone even when the gardener does not artificially raise the level of dissolved oxygen in that water (nutrient solution); after all, it's going to have some DO in it, regardless. Even a relatively low level becomes sufficient when it gets "continually reset," so to speak. This is a case of the method turning what would be a negative in soil (never being allowed to dry out) into a positive.

I second your suggestion. And we have a coco-specific section:

But your common sense approach to gardening and your general knowledge about the various macro and micro nutrients are valuable resources, regardless of the specific method one uses to grow their plants. If I have an issue, and find an existing thread about that issue, I'll give consideration to any of your posts that I might find in that thread, no matter how I'm doing my gardening at the time.

No - but remember that "overwatering" is, basically, just another way of saying, "the roots don't have access to sufficient oxygen." Therefore, if the gardener has recently transplanted his/her plants into a larger container - or the environmental conditions or other factors cause the plant to not consume/transpire much water - then it is not terribly uncommon for the same issue to arise. Even though, ironically, there is plenty of water in the media. It's just not fresh water ;) . The same holds true for the "hempy" method of growing plants. Yes, the gardener tends to correct possible nutrient imbalances by watering often and to the point of runoff - but the primary benefit of doing so, IMHO, is to add more oxygen. Both of these hydroponic methods are passive. They rely on the gardener to provide oxygen to the root zone instead of aeration devices that get used in active hydroponics. Yes, aerating your nutrient solution before pouring it in will (I suppose) provide some degree of benefit. Probably only significantly so if you mix your nutrient solution in advance instead of when you use it. The main thing is, add nutrient solution every day, even if/when it means you'll get runoff. This means you're not really gaining much by transplanting into larger containers before there is a need to (again, "IMHO").

DISCLAIMER: While I have grown using passive hydroponic methods - and will again in the future - I definitely don't specialize in it, and will always like the DWC (active) hydroponic method the best, precisely because I can use devices like aquarium power heads to constantly add oxygen to the root zone. So it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion when I offer suggestions/advice/opinions. Well, that's a good rule of thumb no matter what the subject matter or who the person is that's offering the first one, yes?
That was a hell of a read. It's fine, it's was just a case of stress and watering. Plants fine now just a little small but she will soldier on. As most grows go it's straight forward and relatively easy. Sometimes an issue might arrive and you get confused but putting it in my journal attracted the right processes of elimination to sort the issue and I know where it went wrong.

They seem to be going well I just saw this leaf, it's the only one so I'll have a look online for this answer, as for the plants they started flowering and the clone is soon to follow. The little clone cuttings seem to be going okay, no roots yet but hopefully soon.

IMG_20200825_124406.jpg

That appears to be bug damage of some kind
IV been looking for days, IV posted in multiple forums and nobody's seen this type of pest issue before. It's very minor but still extremely hard to diagnose. Plants are still very healthy, they have hit their flower stretch. I'm guessing it was the super fat one from the bag, one remains a dwarf though.

so what is happening with it? has it progressed, stayed the same? That itself would be a clue.
It's flowering and progressed from that point it's just not growing at all. I think it's literally like 30cms tall, I'm chalking it up to phenos.

Back
Top Bottom