Wardrobe Grow - CFL- Only - Auto Mazar + Rescued Cannatonic + Dieseltonic

On the topic of chemical processes within a plant I have an interesting fact

This is something I learned in collage and it was a while ago so the details may be hazy but the point remains

Did you know that plants communicate with each other chemically? A study was done on forest areas that were devastated by the massive gypsy moth infestation in the US in the 50's or 60's (can't remember) ....It was noticed that in a large affected area of forest, the trees that were attacked first, had more follage eaten then the trees deeper in to the forest...it was discovered the the trees first attacked had higher levels of a certain chemical within them...this chemical was discovered to be a warning chemical...the trees that were deeper in the forest had high levels of a defense chemical which helped them to defend against the feeding from the gypsy moths....the chemical the first attacked trees sent out warned the other trees to increase their level of the defense chemical...helping to protect them in advance

Just something I've always thought was interesting

DSCN57661.JPG

Winter Approaches
Her Defense Is Her Beauty
More than just a Branch

On the topic of chemical processes within a plant I have an interesting fact
This is something I learned in college and it was a while ago so the details may be hazy but the point remains

Did you know that plants communicate with each other chemically? A study was done on forest areas that were devastated by the massive gypsy moth infestation in the US in the 50's or 60's (can't remember) ....It was noticed that in a large affected area of forest, the trees that were attacked first, had more follage eaten then the trees deeper in to the forest...it was discovered the the trees first attacked had higher levels of a certain chemical within them...this chemical was discovered to be a warning chemical...the trees that were deeper in the forest had high levels of a defense chemical which helped them to defend against the feeding from the gypsy moths....the chemical the first attacked trees sent out warned the other trees to increase their level of the defense chemical...helping to protect them in advance
Just something I've always thought was interesting

I think that communication is through mycorrhizal fungi that connect the plant roots of entire ecosystems.

Like the bean plants that produced methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil)

in response to an aphid attack on other plants nearby.

This only happened on non-infested plants that were connected by mycorrhizal networks.

The plants that were not in the circle of fuzz got infected by aphids because they did not produce the repellant.

I can imagine that it was the mycorrhizae in your case as well :)

methyl salicylate is also produced by plants infected with tobbaco mosaic virus.

It is thought that this is used as a plant pheromone to warn neighbouring plants of the infection,

as neighbouring, non-affected plants begin to produce defence proteins without being infected.

I think that the communication happens through the root mycorrhizae and the "cloud" of methyl salicylate

above the infected plants is simply the conversion of salicylic acid to methyl salicylate, which is volatile,

as it is concentrated within the plant to induce the production of defence proteins.

...But what do I know? :scratchinghead:

I think that communication is through mycorrhizal fungi that connect the plant roots of entire ecosystems.

Like the bean plants that produced methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil) in response to an aphid attack on other plants nearby.

This only happened on non-infested plants that were connected by mycorrhizal networks.

The plants that were not in the circle of fuzz got infected by aphids because they did not produce the repellant.

I can imagine that it was the mycorrhizae in your case as well :)

methyl salicylate is also produced by plants infected with tobbaco mosaic virus.

It is thought that this is used as a plant pheromone to warn neighbouring plants of the infection,

as neighbouring, non-affected plants begin to produce defence proteins without being infected.

I think that the communication happens through the root mycorrhizae and the "cloud" of methyl salicylate

above the infected plants is simply the conversion of salicylic acid to methyl salicylate, which is volatile (evaporates easily),

as it is concentrated within the plant to induce the production of defence proteins.

...But what do I know? :scratchinghead:

I liked that Rico:thumb:

I thought putting it in the oven at anything over 30 degrees (centigrade) kills off the THC ?

What made you think that, Doc?

The boiling point of THC is 157 degrees celcius or 314 F

It begins to evaporate at 60 degrees centigrade, or 140 F

In the fan oven at 45 C, the THC does not evaporate,

only some of the aromatic terpinoids (smelly bits) do.

The tunnel o' foil prevents this to a certain extent,

but of course hang-drying in a dark wardrobe is best :)

On that note... do you think our plants (if they are all the same strain) may benefit from planting them all in a tray instead of individual pots...just saying...and I'm medicated..LOL

Alex is right :thumb:

I had 4 plants in a row planter last year to try it out.

The roots crowd each other out and you get a couple of dominant plants and a couple of runts.

"The Branch" and cannatonic were also both planted in the same pot when I got them.

The Dieseltonic was the dominant plant and was always bigger than the cannatonic,

to the extent that cannatonic almost died before I planted the dieseltonic outside.

RICO perfect sense mate :) thankyou I'm thinking of taking a sample

A sample of the the Pepper Jack?

Surely you can't mean the "two weeks to go" SLH?

That would be Kayak :lot-o-toke:

What made you think that, Doc?

The boiling point of THC is 157 degrees celcius or 314 F

It begins to evaporate at 60 degrees centigrade, or 140 F

In the fan oven at 45 C, the THC does not evaporate,

only some of the aromatic terpinoids (smelly bits) do.

The tunnel o' foil prevents this to a certain extent,

but of course hang-drying in a dark wardrobe is best :)

Ahhh I thought it was anything higher than 30 degrees C ...

Thanks for correcting me on that one Rico :)

Hi Doc :ciao:

I've been reading every book I could get my hands on in the last 18 years,

the way I quick dry evolved out of a tip from Ed Rosenthal, I think.

I have only ever grown outdoors before the wardrobe,

always taking a bud at a time and "sampling" as they matured.

Partial harvesting and rapid drying methods are important gadgets

in the bat-belt of small time private home-growers on a budget :)

Morning Rico. :ciao:
Hope the UB is smelling delightful for you today. :)

'Tis indeed, Sir :ciao:

I cut Unscrogina's fallen Hang-bud off today,

and another one that was pesky and was getting in the way.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom