20230115_165053.jpg

Here is the swick sproutlings at Day 36 above ground. There is a 3gal pail under the milk crate with a woolen pad under the pot. It has 9 woolen wicks going into the bucket. Look closely at the area where the pot meets the woolen pad. I think myco has come through the smart pots with the root tips and got into the pad. White spores and hyphae.
Screenshot_20230115_180426_Gallery.jpg
20230115_165134.jpg
20230115_164925.jpg

And then I tried to lift the pot but its attached now🤣

Screenshot_20230115_180725_Gallery.jpg

I wonder if myco is heading down to control the water before it even enters the pot?

20230115_165341.jpg

20230115_164932.jpg

What's your opinion on the swicks? Do you think the wicks will move enough water later in flower to keep up with demand?

I suppose if they don't the roots will grow down the wick and help itself. I grow strawberries up on a trellis in milk jugs with wicks down into yogurt cups of water and by the end of the season the roots have grown down the poly rope I use as a wick.

What's your opinion on the swicks? Do you think the wicks will move enough water later in flower to keep up with demand?

I suppose if they don't the roots will grow down the wick and help itself. I grow strawberries up on a trellis in milk jugs with wicks down into yogurt cups of water and by the end of the season the roots have grown down the poly rope I use as a wick.
I like the theory of swick better than sip for 1 reason only, and thats to have better control over the gradient, I think lol. We shall see🤞

It was me trying to accomodate my cloth pots and also what should (and did) work from seed, then into the final pot but being sip-trained the whole way at the roots, and then hopefully getting all that to a point where I could clone right into a swick-solo cup and eventually into a 10gal swick.

If I had a sip pot I would definitely try to accomplish the same thing in a comparison but I am fully set for cloth pots and the wifey crocheted the pad in about 20 minutes.

I like the theory of swick better than sip for 1 reason only, and thats to have better control over the gradient, I think lol. We shall see🤞

It was me trying to accomodate my cloth pots and also what should (and did) work from seed, then into the final pot but being sip-trained the whole way at the roots, and then hopefully getting all that to a point where I could clone right into a swick-solo cup and eventually into a 10gal swick.

If I had a sip pot I would definitely try to accomplish the same thing in a comparison but I am fully set for cloth pots and the wifey crocheted the pad in about 20 minutes so here we go lol.

Its really the clones I am after, I had no plants in veg when you caught my eye with your sips thread. Its a very solid principal.

20230115_123244.jpg

20230115_123306.jpg

20230115_123311.jpg

20230115_123315.jpg

I left this one in the solo-swick to see what happens. Its 4 weeks today and stunted. It looks very overwatered. It ran a tap root down the wick like you suggested so today I changed its canning jar reservoir and refilled it with Rev's dolomite water at 60ppm ph7.1.

If I can't get it healthy I will uppot it wick and all as the tap root is woven in bigtime.

Or maybe the dolomite water fries it...🤣🤣🤣

As for the wicks moving enough water I have no idea. Right now 1 wick is pretty wet in a solo, too wet to clone so I will have to play with that but the 10gal is just right for moisture, maybe just a tad damp, so more wicks will likely be needed as it grows foliage.

Both plants in the pot have been manifolded to 4 tops but the lower clone branches are still on below the manifolding.

Hopefully they can be cloned in 4 or 5 more days. Hope 1 is a girl 🤞

As for the wicks moving enough water I have no idea. Right now 1 wick is pretty wet in a solo, too wet to clone so I will have to play with that but the 10gal is just right for moisture, maybe just a tad damp, so more wicks will likely be needed as it grows foliage.

Both plants in the pot have been manifolded to 4 tops but the lower clone branches are still on below the manifolding.

Hopefully they can be cloned in 4 or 5 more days. Hope 1 is a girl 🤞
I had the same issue trying to clone in a 9oz SIP, too wet. I tried 8 cuts and most got too wet so I emptied the reservoir on some and treated them like a normal pot. Two rooted and then I refilled the reservoir and they look pretty good.

I had the same issue trying to clone in a 9oz SIP, too wet. I tried 8 cuts and most got too wet so I emptied the reservoir on some and treated them like a normal pot. Two rooted and then I refilled the reservoir and they look pretty good.
Thats great knowledge to help me.

Im thinking of trying it in swick solos but with different distances from res to the soil surface, until hopefully I find a sweet spot.

Thats great knowledge to help me.

Im thinking of trying it in swick solos but with different distances from res to the soil surface, until hopefully I find a sweet spot.
I've tried I a few times and different ways. All ended with sodden rotting cuttings. I think the constant flow (trickle?) of water is too much and wholly unnecessary.

I think it's best to set them up ready to go, but only add the wicks after they root.

That said, ths Octopot people show how they do it in their user's manual Link in this post

I've tried I a few times and different ways. All ended with sodden rotting cuttings. I think the constant flow (trickle?) of water is too much and wholly unnecessary.

I think it's best to set them up ready to go, but only add the wicks after they root.

That said, ths Octopot people show how they do it in their user's manual Link in this post
OK I see where your going here. So maybe a cup full of your fave clone mix with a cutting but have a wick installed, or a wick bed ready, so once you see the 1st root you start sipping it?

Hmmm. Good question. But if I have myco as part of my leaf mold soil wouldn't it already be there?

Do you have a suggestion for said pad liner? I'd want to be sure it would wick as well as the soil wick I have going now, and I kind of like how it works and how uncomplicated it is now. For me, it's just the dome in the bottom surrounded by soil with the exception of hydroton clay balls surrounding the overflow hole.

The more parts I add the more chances for something to go amiss.

Hmmm. Good question. But if I have myco as part of my leaf mold soil wouldn't it already be there?

Do you have a suggestion for said pad liner? I'd want to be sure it would wick as well as the soil wick I have going now, and I kind of like how it works and how uncomplicated it is now. For me, it's just the dome in the bottom surrounded by soil with the exception of hydroton clay balls surrounding the overflow hole.

The more parts I add the more chances for something to go amiss.
I hear you about too many moving parts. I use a pad my wife knit me out of fairly heavy thick almost fuzzy synthetic wool. It was in her leftover wool bin and the label was gone so no idea what it is actually made of.

I hear you about too many moving parts. I use a pad my wife knit me out of fairly heavy thick almost fuzzy synthetic wool. It was in her leftover wool bin and the label was gone so no idea what it is actually made of.
And she's offering to make me some pads??

:laughtwo:

We just had a family emergency pop up and will be travelling for about a week
Hope everything turns out OK. 🫤

Back
Top Bottom