The Accidental Revegging of Mama TK: October 2019, Lions Head Outdoor Grow

Greetings all you inspiring growers. I first joined this great site earlier this year when I encountered a severe fungus gnat infestation and I came looking for answers. I have changed my grow space from my indoor window ledge, to outdoor placement in coco pots, and some of the plants were transferred. I managed to get a small harvest from a couple of the blooming plants and another is ripening whilst one went into veg. Mama TK is a Transkei Sativa, which is pollinated by Studley, her male counterpart from @Lerugged here at Table Mountain, in Cape Town. She has developed lovely big seeds but now I am afraid that they may not ripen. She has jumped back into a confused state of simultaneous bolt, reveg and pistil pushing that has me observing in wonderment. What is she doing to protect herself and where will it lead? How will this impact the ripening of the seed? Could the quality of the seed be compromised? :circle-of-love:

Let's ask some of the resident canna-wizards @Pennywise @neikodog @Duggan @conradino23 @bobrown14 @InTheShed @Amy Gardner @Old Salt @Van Stank . Any idea if a plant pollinated in flower and revegged Will still mature the seeds while going through the process? Sorry if I've forgotten anyone just off the top of My head.
Thanks LR. It will be great for me to hear from people who have been through these things before. I have just done a spot check and decided to remove the older fan leaves that were looking a little ragged. It has opened her up nicely and exposed a couple more potential cuts which I will take today too. I am not sure if I should be training her branches slightly away from one another, or just leave her be? I am still confused but it looks as if her survival style is rather aggressive :)

Personally Id leave her be, let her do her thing. Im sure everything will work out for the best for you and your darlings!

Hopefully someone has actually been through pollinating and accidental re-veg with successful seed production, providing that the original female white hairs had still been pollinated before the re-veg and not been removed from the plant prior.

I just re-read the first post.
IMO the seeds will ripen up no problem, some plants do toss out more white pistols during the end of flower and that sometimes confuses the grower. Its an attempt from the plant to ensure its survival I believe.

Since the plant is pushing energy into making new pistols, I would have to assume this also includes any seed pod development... Lets watch and see!

Yeah I'd say don't do anything for a couple weeks until we can tell what's going on. Looks to maybe be back in flower.. not sure though.

Would I be wrong to think the new flower mode for the plant means its putting energy into the pistols which likely included any pistols that got pollinated into seed pods, thus seed development?

Would I be wrong to think the new flower mode for the plant means its putting energy into the pistols which likely included any pistols that got pollinated into seed pods, thus seed development?
Possibly. That's if it went back into flower. If that's the case and it does mature then its a game changer as far as seed production goes as you could just keep switching cycles and produce seeds constantly with the same exact mother. Interesting indeed .

Sorry, I dont think I made what I thought clear enough lol

I do think that if you pollinate a female during flower and it goes back into re-veg that it will continue to grow seeds once back into flower mode...

But I dont believe that it will continually produce seeds on its own, unless its re-pollonated continually per seed cycle.

Hope that makes sense?

I do encourage anyone who has the time, take a clone and pollinate it, wait a week or two and purposely put it back into veg for a few week, then back into flowering to see if #1 seeds return to orginal production. Then once seeds have naturally fallen off plant, to put it back into veg for a few weeks and then back into flower to see if it will regrow seeds from the original pollination...

I really think tho this is valuable information to get.

But Id think that its only possible at best twice. #1 original pollination and #2 when plant thinks its dying, it will self pollinate to survive. But thats likely it.

Possibly. That's if it went back into flower. If that's the case and it does mature then its a game changer as far as seed production goes as you could just keep switching cycles and produce seeds constantly with the same exact mother. Interesting indeed .

I will actually try this out. I currently have 1 cutting from my current plant that was pollinated, it's currently growing 2 seeds lol (yup its a very small cutting) its got roots also in a cup of water. I will let it finish growing the 2 seeds, then I will allow it to reveg and then re flower and see if any more seeds grow without any new pollen. This will prof or disprove the theory for us ;)

Thread is here.

Thanks for the callout ‘rugged - that’s a question beyond my range of experience tho. The members I know with some experience making seeds are @beez0404 and @Mr. Krip and @dynamo1 . Maybe one of them can help.
The original question:
Any idea if a plant pollinated in flower and revegged Will still mature the seeds while going through the process? Sorry if I've forgotten anyone just off the top of My head.
:Namaste:

Let's ask some of the resident canna-wizards @Pennywise @neikodog @Duggan @conradino23 @bobrown14 @InTheShed @Amy Gardner @Old Salt @Van Stank . Any idea if a plant pollinated in flower and revegged Will still mature the seeds while going through the process? Sorry if I've forgotten anyone just off the top of My head.
Yes they will still mature seeds, even if you reveg. I like to pollinate preflowers on plants in veg just to get a few seeds without messing at all with the buds. The seeds will start growing and maturing while the plant continues to veg. If you veg long enough you can harvest the seeds from the preflower sites before you even flip the plant. Seeds and unseeded buds....cant beat that now, can ya?

Thank you all for your ideas, insights and suggestions. @Pennywise I was wondering about the hormonal changes back and forth, and how that might affect maturation. @Van Stank thank you for answering the questions and for the brilliant pollination method! @Lerugged thanks for agreeing to stop by next week to take a look at her. You guys are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom