Sweetsue's First Grow - Stealthy Trio of Autos Under CFLs

cool, but you have to wear their tee shirts, and maybe get a logo tattoo?? just guessing too

cool, but you have to wear their tee shirts, and maybe get a logo tattoo?? just guessing too

That wouldn't bother me in the slightest nivek. I ran my husband's tattoo studio (and did all the art designing too) for over ten years. :laughtwo: Of course, he's the only tattooist I'd ever trust to touch my skin and we sold all of his equipment when he was forced to retire because his health was so poor and his eyes started to give him trouble. He once did some electrical work half blind because a blood vessel in one eye blew just as he was finishing up running lines for our last circuit, but a blind tattooist isn't something we wanted to play with.

The electrical job was a hoot - Dale up on the ladder with the drill while our daughter directed. " Up an inch Dad. Over about a quarter inch. Down just a smidge. Just a bit more. Right there! Drill!" :laughtwo:

I think he might mean as a sponsored grower.

Not exactly. It's not up to me who gets sponsored or not, because I don't represent anyone but myself here, and 420mag.com doesn't play favorites. But I am not a sponsored grower! I test products and will frequently go from one brand of vape to another, and one brand of lights to another, without any further relationship to the company or product. I have no ability to extend such a thing and it is not my place as a representative of 420magazine.com to act in such a manner. I'm VERY sorry if my comment came across that way.

I was more referring to seeing if the universe couldn't manifest some lighting for a grower who really gets it and has beautiful ethics when it comes to cannabis. I believe in such things and Sue is certainly vibrating the right way along with her plants. I've never seen CFL's produce anything like that. Imagine what could happen with some PAR!

And that was exactly what I thought you meant Doc. I raised my children with little affirmations taped to the walls all over our home. One of my favorites was "See it. Believe it. Expect it. Make it so". I've had some of the most amazing things happen in my life that most would find unbelievable. I'm living proof that the Universal Law of Attraction is a dynamic force.

Finally caught up with all the journals I'm following. It's such a pain that the hospital wifi blocks this site. Short-sighted bureaucrats. I miss being able to check in on a screen I can actually see.

I keep getting detoured by links to other journals that become too much fun to pass up. What a splendid resource this site is. I picked up three excellent ideas - no, make that four excellent ideas that I can use almost immediately to improve my own grow.

I need to get a notebook to keep track of all the things that catch my eye.

Good night 420 community. Tomorrow. :green_heart:

Every time I come here, I am stunned at what Sue is doing with CFL's. I didn't think it was possible to flower plants that well, under only CFLs. I like your idea, Doc. Many of us growers here have some gently used equipment laying around. Mail it to Sue, and let her use it. She could really put a tent, an inline fan/scrubber, and some lighting to really good use.

Let's do this! Giving a little for such a great cause feels good, folks.

Ahh guys. Your gonna make me cry. :circle-of-love:

What are those 4 ideas?

Sorry Doc, the royal we had me thinking something else.

Be careful today and this weekend Sue. Its going to be below zero for an extended period. They say its Siberian air that made its way across the north pole!

Actually ClosedCircuit, I was so tired that I neglected to screen shot them so I can only remember three.

Bobbrown discovered two valuable pieces to my ongoing puzzle, the first being how to counteract the cal/mag problems caused by LEDs when working with LOS. He top dresses with rock dust. Rock dust! How easy was that? I'd already determined that EWC produced by a bin that was fed elements high in calcium and magnesium was a good idea, but a top dress of the rock dust itself hadn't occurred to me.

He's also been playing around with kashi in his soil and determined that using it as a top dress accelerated the decomposition of mulches. In that learning process he found that you need to let the seedlings get into a strong veg stage or the mycelium would eat the seedlings. He spared us all that learning curve. Thank you again bob for both of those. :thanks:

While reading Doc's HB Q&A ( a tough journal to stay abreast with - so much information flying around there I have to check in many times a day just to keep up :laughtwo: how do you stay with them Doc?) and SmokeyMcfly mentioned that he uses one ounce spray bottles found at the travel section of a local big box store for foliars. I've been trying for weeks to figure out how to do a fine but very controlled foliar in my tiny closet.

Then this morning Jamba mentioned this little wonder:

Continuous Mist Flairosol Stylist Reusable 10 oz. 300ml

1666931755071.png

That was only one evening of browsing and visiting. What a community!

Like I said, I need to get a notebook dedicated to these little gems of wisdom. So much to learn. :green_heart:

Kashi is a microbial inoculant isn't it? How exactly does that work in shielding the seedlings from the mycelium?

I saw the conversation about the friasol device this morning too...it looks pretty handy :) Its funny they were talking about applying foliar sprays to the underside of leaves. I've been contemplating how best to apply foliars without risking light burn (since a fan isn't entirely full proof). After I defoliated a small portion of my plants I realized that those leaves we deem "useless" might be the best candidates for foliar sprays since they are less likely to burn and are a safe distance from the flowers....

...anyways just a thought I've been throwing around. I'm not sure if leaves that produce less sugars because they receive less light would absorb as much foliar nutrients.

Daily Update: Day 76 (THC Bomb Auto) & Day 75 (Buddha Magnum Auto)

I'm so glad you guys enjoy these daily postings. I love putting them together.

image19699.jpg

Let's start off with Buddha today. She's rolling into her last dance with all the joyful energy we've come to identify her by. Every time I decide she can't get much thicker she shows me how wrong I was for making that assumption.

image19700.jpg

I mean really - look at this main cola!

image19702.jpg

Let's take a walk through the land of frostiness.

image19704.jpg

image19706.jpg

image19711.jpg

Her pistils are busily changing.

image19713.jpg

image19714.jpg

By now you all know my love of a good leaf shot. Studies in green and line. (Sigh)

image19715.jpg

image19716.jpg

And my favorite of the day. Isn't this what we all hope for when we plant the seed?

image19717.jpg

Now for the big show.....The Bomb. :love:

image19718.jpg

image19719.jpg

image19720.jpg

When I trimmed them for backbuilding I wasn't expecting them to push new buds right through the trimmed ones, but that's what eventually happened.

image19721.jpg

Is this that change in color I was looking for at the end? I know it's not nutrient burn so I figure that's all it could be. I noticed one big fan leaf on the side that was to the front yesterday looking a significantly lighter shade of green than the others. Trichomes are still almost all cloudy, which is what I prefer anyway.

image19722.jpg

image19723.jpg

A little frostiness from the Bomb.

image19724.jpg

It takes some effort to get into the interior, but it's worth it to see the popcorn buds looking like this.

image19725.jpg

My guess is this is a plant telling me she's done with her dance. Anyone else agree? I'm thinking Sunday.

image19726.jpg

Buddha looks like another two to three weeks, although she's changing fast. She's close to the expected life span but I know it will take a bit longer.

You all have a wonderful day. Get out there and share some joy.

:Namaste:

Kashi is a microbial inoculant isn't it? How exactly does that work in shielding the seedlings from the mycelium?

I saw the conversation about the friasol device this morning too...it looks pretty handy :) Its funny they were talking about applying foliar sprays to the underside of leaves. I've been contemplating how best to apply foliars without risking light burn (since a fan isn't entirely full proof). After I defoliated a small portion of my plants I realized that those leaves we deem "useless" might be the best candidates for foliar sprays since they are less likely to burn and are a safe distance from the flowers....

...anyways just a thought I've been throwing around. I'm not sure if leaves that produce less sugars because they receive less light would absorb as much foliar nutrients.

This rings a small bell with me. Awhile ago I did some shallow research on leaves and their location on the plant, and their role in hormone production and distribution, and my recollection is that older fans are primarily sugar producers and less involved in the hormone traffic. I'm not sure that affects foliar uptake though.

Da Bomb!!

A+ top-shelf flowers. Oooooo, that's a nice plant!

She'll be first, of course, almost ready, but I wouldn't be surprised if she lasted another couple weeks. It'll depend on the pistil development. So far, she's still putting out new ones. In a week, they'll either have gone all brown or she'll still be making more.

Have you tugged the cola buds away from the main stems at all? It can get kinda stuffy in there - nice place for mold - and if you bend them slightly out and away from the main stem you can get some of the inside growth to mature better. I've used a pencil and a chopstick to gently pry them away.

Da Bomb!!

A+ top-shelf flowers. Oooooo, that's a nice plant!

She'll be first, of course, almost ready, but I wouldn't be surprised if she lasted another couple weeks. It'll depend on the pistil development. So far, she's still putting out new ones. In a week, they'll either have gone all brown or she'll still be making more.

Have you tugged the cola buds away from the main stems at all? It can get kinda stuffy in there - nice place for mold - and if you bend them slightly out and away from the main stem you can get some of the inside growth to mature better. I've used a pencil and a chopstick to gently pry them away.

Great advice, GT.

I agree.....two more weeks. But it's really a personal preference at this point.

Leaves are leaves. They all have stoma. The plant doesn't confine the benefits to an isolated area because the plant is a whole system the same way we are. You want to get as many leaves as possible though, and using a small bottle will allow me the maneuverability I need in such a confined space. I've been considering how to best shield the lights too. I'm thinking some type of moisture resistant thin board that I can hold between the plant and the lights as I spray. Next grow I want to include foliar sprays to see the difference.

Sheesh, I keep coming back for another look! :thedoubletake:

But yep, that Bomb is the one that was grown under CFLs, uh huh, yeah ...

This would be the appropriate time for the overused term, awesome. That's literally awesome!

I would have to say that Sweetsue is the reigning Queen of the CFL. All hail! :kisstwo:

+reps

This rings a small bell with me. Awhile ago I did some shallow research on leaves and their location on the plant, and their role in hormone production and distribution, and my recollection is that older fans are primarily sugar producers and less involved in the hormone traffic. I'm not sure that affects foliar uptake though.

So in High Brix when you are trying to encourage certain exudates would it be beneficial to feed at those lower leaves?

Leaves are leaves. They all have stoma. The plant doesn't confine the benefits to an isolated area because the plant is a whole system the same way we are. You want to get as many leaves as possible though, and using a small bottle will allow me the maneuverability I need in such a confined space. I've been considering how to best shield the lights too. I'm thinking some type of moisture resistant thin board that I can hold between the plant and the lights as I spray. Next grow I want to include foliar sprays to see the difference.

Re Stoma: Agreed, but I am wondering if certain leaves are more effective the creation of root exudates which feed bacterial colonies...or if any of that matters at all.

So in High Brix when you are trying to encourage certain exudates would it be beneficial to feed at those lower leaves?

I don't know the answer to that one. I should look into it. :cheesygrinsmiley: The reason I did the research on hormone distribution was to better understand how defoliating might work. The supposed advantage (I'm not a "fan" of defol) is an apparent boost in growth and I wanted to know why. Obviously, growth hormones are involved/stimulated, so ... how does that work? Old leaves are the primary source for Abscissic Acid, so when you remove them, you tip the hormone balance. It also drives growth into the upper canopy where there's more light.

Abscissic Acid

Produced by aging leaves and fruits
Application on leaves causes yellow spots and premature aging
May induce formation of winter buds
Suppresses growth of buds and formation of bud “scales” forprotection
Suppresses growth of dormant lateral buds (with ethylene)
Counters effects of gibberellins
Promotes senescence (decline with age) by countering auxin
Causes dormancy of seeds
Controls opening and closing of stomata - produced when plants are stressed - causes loss of K+ from guard cells

Back
Top Bottom