Strange problem with edibles

Right. That's really my question as well. I looked high and low for a chart but didn't find anything.

What's I did find was that olive oil is a long chain fatty acid while coconut oil is a medium chain one. Olive oil was said to saturate at only 15% while coconut and butter was listed at 90+%. Saturate's not the right word but the point was that coconut oil was many times better at extracting cannabinoids from a given sample because of its physical structure (medium chain vs long chain)

The article I read said to use essentially equal amounts of coconut oil and bud and the example showed about 4grams of bud per oz of oil. That's basically what I've been using, 2g/tablespoon. But I don't know if that's just wasting bud or not. Seems like it probably is when using olive oil.
Hmm. I did infuse some olive oil in the MB, but I haven't tried it yet.
I used my usual proportions, 30g to 500ml. I'll figure out exactly how much oil goes into each gummy when I make them with coconut oil and try it tomorrow.

Olive oil was said to saturate at only 15% while coconut and butter was listed at 90+%. Saturate's not the right word but the point was that coconut oil was many times better at extracting cannabinoids from a given sample because of its physical structure (medium chain vs long chain)
"Ability to absorb" is more the concept. Coconut, because it's medium chain, can absorb much more vs a similar amount of olive oil apparently.

SweetSue always said coconut oil was best for recreational since it went straight to the liver, while olive was better for medical because more of it survived first pass through the liver and therefore more of it got absorbed in the lymph system because of that medium chain vs long chain structure.

"Ability to absorb" is more the concept. Coconut, because it's medium chain, can absorb much more vs a similar amount of olive oil apparently.

SweetSue always said coconut oil was best for recreational since it went straight to the liver, while olive was better for medical because more of it survived first pass through the liver and therefore more of it got absorbed in the lymph system because of that medium chain vs long chain structure.
If its ability to absorb the THC is lower, if the total number of mg of THC is lower, then it should be weaker, right?
As long as the dose is the same volume as makes it into a gummy it should be a valid test.

I knew that was so for coconut but I was looking today and olive was showing more like 15%.

that's nowhere near a correct figure. search here for evoo extract. this is one of the first places to help popularize it.
oils with high fat content are the best. olive, coconut, and grape seed have huge natural fat levels. it's the fat / lipids that infuse in an oil.

If its ability to absorb the THC is lower, if the total number of mg of THC is lower, then it should be weaker, right?
As long as the dose is the same volume as makes it into a gummy it should be a valid test.
Right. If there's 150 mg in the bud used but the oil is only able to absorb half, then only 75 made it into the oil so each edible would have half what you expected if simply calculated on the strength of the herb itself.

that's nowhere near a correct figure. search here for evoo extract. this is one of the first places to help popularize it.
oils with high fat content are the best. olive, coconut, and grape seed have huge natural fat levels. it's the fat / lipids that infuse in an oil.
The total fat content wasn't the only factor but the  type of fat was an important consideration (saturated vs unsaturated) and that was where the major difference between olive, flaxseed, and other similar oils was compared to coconut.

The body typically doesn't store coconut oil but rather uses it immediately for fuel so it, and the cannabinoids it carries, are processed in a much different way from say olive where excess gets stored in the body tissues.

This difference in the molecular makeup also affects how much it can absorb of other things in the extraction process.

I think I remember that right, but now I'm going to see if I can find that info again, and I'll post it here if I do.

It seems as though high saturated fat content oils like those in coconut oil better absorb cannabinoids than those from lower saturated fat content oils like olive oil.

Here's an excerpt from Leafly...

Why is coconut oil popular for cannabis infusion?

Cannabis compounds like cannabinoids are lipid soluble, and bind to fats. Coconut oil has a high concentration of fatty acids, or saturated fats, which are great for cannabinoids to bind to.

Compared to olive oil, which usually contains a saturated fat content of less than 20%, or butter, with about 60% saturated fats, coconut oil usually contains over 80% saturated fats. This means coconut oil can retain more cannabinoids during infusion, making it more potent.

Coconut oil also has a higher smoke point, so it can be heated at a higher temperature with less of a chance of burning it.

And these...

Why Coconut Oil is the best oil for infusions

Coconut oil infusion

The total fat content wasn't the only factor but the  type of fat was an important consideration (saturated vs unsaturated) and that was where the major difference between olive, flaxseed, and other similar oils was compared to coconut.

The body typically doesn't store coconut oil but rather uses it immediately for fuel so it, and the cannabinoids it carries, are processed in a much different way from say olive where excess gets stored in the body tissues.

This difference in the molecular makeup also affects how much it can absorb of other things in the extraction process.

I think I remember that right, but now I'm going to see if I can find that info again, and I'll post it here if I do.

aside from the grape seed i recall that most seed oils aren't good carriers. grape seed oil isn't meant to be ingested either. it's really only for topicals and is useful for penetration as it crosses the skin barrier much easier than other oils.

coconut and olive are the two oils i use for ingestion, and i rarely use olive anymore, usually only if requested specifically. coconut seems the most effective and infuses at an efficacy on par with olive.

It seems as though high saturated fat content oils like those in coconut oil better absorb cannabinoids than those from lower saturated fat content oils like olive oil.

Here's an excerpt from Leafly...

Why is coconut oil popular for cannabis infusion?

Cannabis compounds like cannabinoids are lipid soluble, and bind to fats. Coconut oil has a high concentration of fatty acids, or saturated fats, which are great for cannabinoids to bind to.

Compared to olive oil, which usually contains a saturated fat content of less than 20%, or butter, with about 60% saturated fats, coconut oil usually contains over 80% saturated fats. This means coconut oil can retain more cannabinoids during infusion, making it more potent.

Coconut oil also has a higher smoke point, so it can be heated at a higher temperature with less of a chance of burning it.

And these...

Why Coconut Oil is the best oil for infusions

Coconut oil infusion
And none of that really answers the question about what's the maximum amount of bud one can infuse a given volume of oil with, but whatever that number is, it seems much higher with coconut oil than with olive.

It's got the potency I expected.
Good strong body buzz, a slight off the rails sensation, difficulty following a train of thought, but happy about it.
I could take a nap or go for a leisurely walk.
This is what I expected from the gummies.
It's also noticeably weaker than the capsules of Runtz Punch another member gave me. She used 20g of weed to 125ml of sunflower seed oil.
I'm chalking it up to an incomplete decarb in the instant pot.
I'm still going to look for an answer to how much THC can be infused into a given amount of oil might be.

you guys aren't getting much out of the amount of weed used to oil. i do canna pills every day at a lower percentage but my edibles are notorious for rubber kneeing folk out.

It's got the potency I expected.
Good strong body buzz, a slight off the rails sensation, difficulty following a train of thought, but happy about it.
I could take a nap or go for a leisurely walk.
This is what I expected from the gummies.
It's also noticeably weaker than the capsules of Runtz Punch another member gave me. She used 20g of weed to 125ml of sunflower seed oil.
I'm chalking it up to an incomplete decarb in the instant pot.
I'm still going to look for an answer to how much THC can be infused into a given amount of oil might be.
Loaded question but I do have some info I can share based on CCO that I make. For daytime oil I’ve been using Blue Dream for about 13 years or so. I generally make batches using 4oz flower at a time. The lowest I’ve gotten is 4 grams ( roughly equivalent to 4mg from syringe) per ounce of flower. More often I get 28 grams or 7 grams per ounce. And most I’ve gotten is around 14 grams per ounce. So, it will depend on quality of grow, quality of strain, method used to make oil and so on. Every time will be different I can almost assure you. At the end of the day, remember that as long as you don’t fall to far off the rails the oil will contain all the beneficials you need. As a comparison for qty needed, I used 90ml in 90 days for initial treatment, and have been using less than 1ml per WEEK for maintenance since then - about11 years now

you guys aren't getting much out of the amount of weed used to oil. i do canna pills every day at a lower percentage but my edibles are notorious for rubber kneeing folk out.
Hmm. Just for reference, that was from 1.25ml of olive oil.
Loaded question but I do have some info I can share based on CCO that I make. For daytime oil I’ve been using Blue Dream for about 13 years or so. I generally make batches using 4oz flower at a time. The lowest I’ve gotten is 4 grams ( roughly equivalent to 4mg from syringe) per ounce of flower. More often I get 28 grams or 7 grams per ounce. And most I’ve gotten is around 14 grams per ounce. So, it will depend on quality of grow, quality of strain, method used to make oil and so on. Every time will be different I can almost assure you. At the end of the day, remember that as long as you don’t fall to far off the rails the oil will contain all the beneficials you need. As a comparison for qty needed, I used 90ml in 90 days for initial treatment, and have been using less than 1ml per WEEK for maintenance since then - about11 years now
How do you make your CCO?
I've been making gummies and cookies from infused coconut oil and butter since we'll before I joined up here, but I'm always willing to look into new ways of making edibles.

Is that a change for you? Did you use coconut prior?
I use coconut oil for the gummies. I got kinda lazy, and didn't get around to making the second batch of coconut oil infused with Do si dos in the MB machine.
I mentioned it because I think getting the effects and strength I want out of 1.25ml of oil is getting plenty out of my weed considering I'm also getting just short of 500ml of oil from 30g.
1.25ml is 1/4tsp, if you don't like metric.

I use coconut oil for the gummies. I got kinda lazy, and didn't get around to making the second batch of coconut oil infused with Do si dos in the MB machine.
I mentioned it because I think getting the effects and strength I want out of 1.25ml of oil is getting plenty out of my weed considering I'm also getting just short of 500ml of oil from 30g.
1.25ml is 1/4tsp, if you don't like metric.

for some reason i was reading it as 125ml and assumed that was the total infused. i'm getting 750ml of infused oil from 24 - 28g of bud. i divide it into capsules for dosing, helps to self regulate consumption.

for some reason i was reading it as 125ml and assumed that was the total infused. i'm getting 750ml of infused oil from 24 - 28g of bud. i divide it into capsules for dosing, helps to self regulate consumption.
Ah, ok. I dose in teaspoons like Mel does so smaller fractions of a teaspoon are preferable, so the stronger I can make the infusion the better for me.

Hmm. Just for reference, that was from 1.25ml of olive oil.

How do you make your CCO?
I've been making gummies and cookies from infused coconut oil and butter since we'll before I joined up here, but I'm always willing to look into new ways of making edibles.
The process i follow is in the thread linked in my signature :) not for edibles though, straight up sticky oil i put on gums.

Back
Top Bottom