Strange problem with edibles

don't decarb the weed before. you'll simply reduce the potency. it decarbs during the process.
with fresh weed it's 1:50 on pressure cook at the highest setting.

full

now you've decarbed the weed it is mostly a guess. you could try it at the normal settings but i don't know if it will work.
Thanks. You’re absolutely right. Next batch I won’t decarbed first. 👍🏼

it'll still work. you're just leaving some on the table as it won't all migrate. the 8g weed:250ml oil just peels everything out of the weed at that ratio.

it can still be more potent if you add more weed, but it might not all infuse.

the other reasoning behind the ratios is for a standardized approach to calculate potency for medical based product. i do a lot of med based things.
So you're saying that the capacity of the oil is essentially limited to 1g/oz before it won't absorb any more and adding more is just wasteful?

So you're saying that the capacity of the oil is essentially limited to 1g/oz before it won't absorb any more and adding more is just wasteful?

8g to 250ml or 1/2 cup. i generally do 24g to 750ml. if you check the original process it was set at 16g bud to 16 ounces of oil which is the same ratios. @SweetSue posted the process here a long time ago.

i will increase the bud to a full ounce or 28g to 750ml on occasion and will infuse vegetable glycerin at that level as it is less efficient.

the migration sits in the 90% region in most oils but drops to the 80% range in vg.

Fresh, as in fresh harvest or after a dry and cure but before decarb?

after dry and cure but no decarb.

8g to 250ml or 1/2 cup. i generally do 24g to 750ml. if you check the original process it was set at 16g bud to 16 ounces of oil which is the same ratios. @SweetSue posted the process here a long time ago.

14g to 500ml (2 cups/16oz) was actually the first ratio I tried when I started infusing oil, before I got the MB machine. It was the first one I found online.
I found it a bit weak to be honest, and the process convinced me that the MB was worth the price.
I'll be decarbing some more Do si dos today, and putting it through the MB this afternoon or evening, and making gummies tomorrow.
If they come out full strength I'll have to assume the in-oil decarb failed in the instant pot this time.

14g to 500ml (2 cups/16oz) was actually the first ratio I tried when I started infusing oil, before I got the MB machine. It was the first one I found online.
I found it a bit weak to be honest, and the process convinced me that the MB was worth the price.
I'll be decarbing some more Do si dos today, and putting it through the MB this afternoon or evening, and making gummies tomorrow.
If they come out full strength I'll have to assume the in-oil decarb failed in the instant pot this time.

the mb is different process and does require a separate decarb.

the migration sits in the 90% region in most oils but drops to the 80% range in vg.
What if you doubled the grams to oil ratio, would the second half be wasted since the first half mostly saturated the oil, or is there room for materially more bud per oz/ml in oils?

What if you doubled the grams to oil ratio, would the second half be wasted since the first half mostly saturated the oil, or is there room for materially more bud per oz/ml in oils?

there is only so much the oil will let migrate. it's always a percentage of the total amount in the weed. it never hits 100% on an oil extraction. at some point adding more weed is a zero sum gain as you'd need more oil.

Soooo, little problem.
I've been vaping the Do si dos from this past winter. It is definitely the strongest weed I've ever grown, and is up there among the strongest I've ever had.
I used the instant pot method to infuse some coconut oil, and made my usual gummy recipe.
They're weak!
This has me thinking I should re-infuse the oil with another 10g or something.
Has anyone else had this happen? A strain that's really strong when smoked or vaped, but makes weak edibles?
I’ve never used the instant pot method. Do you have to decarb first using that method? The way I do my edibles is I make RSO with decarbed weed I use the 190proof everclear. When I have it reduced down in a hot water bath (usually an ounce before decarbed) I mix in coconut oil with the RSO and dose 1.5 gram each chocolate. I have silicone trays. It’s always fire. The instant pot method sounds cool, I’m going to look into that too. Thanks. Happy smokin.

there is only so much the oil will let migrate. it's always a percentage of the total amount in the weed. it never hits 100% on an oil extraction. at some point adding more weed is a zero sum gain as you'd need more oil.
Any idea where the limit is for various oils? I'd image olive is slightly different from coconut, grape seed, pumpkin seed, veg glycerin, etc, but I've never seen a chart.

Any idea where the limit is for various oils? I'd image olive is slightly different from coconut, grape seed, pumpkin seed, veg glycerin, etc, but I've never seen a chart.
Im not sure. I just reduce an oz to RSO before I add the coconut oil and I’ve never had a problem with it . Mix in a heavy tablespoon of coconut oil mix well. Then add to chocolate or gummies. Can make them mild or nuclear. ☢️ 1gram of bud per candy is a solid dose. 30 grams 30 chocolates. And so on. Tolerance builds within a few days have to up dose or take tolerance holidays. Happy smokin.

So you're asking what the solubility limit is of each individual oil, rather than oils in general.
I'm sure some company has tried to figure it out, especially a company that makes edibles in a jurisdiction where there aren't any limits on the THC content.
Time to do some reading.

coconut, grape seed, and olive oil are all in the 90 percentile range. vg winds up in the low to mid 80s.

Im not sure. I just reduce an oz to RSO before I add the coconut oil and I’ve never had a problem with it.

it's for med based product. it's not allowed depending on the solvent / alcohol used to reduce for rso. there are few available safe products to make rso from here. anything above 70% is strictly controlled, we can't buy everclear and extractohol is illegal.

I think we may be misunderstanding each other.
coconut, grape seed, and olive oil are all in the 90 percentile range. vg winds up in the low to mid 80s.
That's how much of the THC the oil can get out of the weed, no matter how much oil is there.
If your weed is 20% THC, then 1 gram of weed would have 200mg THC. If you infuse that gram into 250ml of coconut oil then you have 180ish mg of THC in that 250ml. If you use 500ml, that's still 180ish mg, just more diluted.
But what is the maximum # of mg of THC 250ml of coconut oil can hold, and is that the same as olive or grapeseed oil?

I think we may be misunderstanding each other.

That's how much of the THC the oil can get out of the weed, no matter how much oil is there.
If your weed is 20% THC, then 1 gram of weed would have 200mg THC. If you infuse that gram into 250ml of coconut oil then you have 180ish mg of THC in that 250ml. If you use 500ml, that's still 180ish mg, just more diluted.
But what is the maximum # of mg of THC 250ml of coconut oil can hold, and is that the same as olive or grapeseed oil?

the maximum it can hold in 250ml is what can be delivered with 8 - 10 g of weed. it won't change. the ratios are designed for maximum extraction.

edit : there are charts for it but i haven't used them in about a decade.

it's for med based product. it's not allowed depending on the solvent / alcohol used to reduce for rso. there are few available safe products to make rso from here. anything above 70% is strictly controlled, we can't buy everclear and extractohol is illegal.
It’s a shame that it’s controlled. That’s not a problem here. You can use 70%. The other 30% is water. Might leave a lil residue, but could be worked together with a lil effort. It’s basically making candy after making a tincture/RSO. Good luck to you friend.

Right. That's really my question as well. I looked high and low for a chart but didn't find anything.

What's I did find was that olive oil is a long chain fatty acid while coconut oil is a medium chain one. Olive oil was said to saturate at only 15% while coconut and butter was listed at 90+%. Saturate's not the right word but the point was that coconut oil was many times better at extracting cannabinoids from a given sample because of its physical structure (medium chain vs long chain)

The article I read said to use essentially equal amounts of coconut oil and bud and the example showed about 4grams of bud per oz of oil. That's basically what I've been using, 2g/tablespoon. But I don't know if that's just wasting bud or not. Seems like it probably is when using olive oil.

Back
Top Bottom