SIP Run With MeJA & Controlled Drought Application

These SIP's have them grow with green stems up to and in the buds! That's something I couldn't always get seldom got in a pot of soil! A homeostasis mark.

1684665673658.png

These SIP's have them grow with green stems up to and in the buds! That's something I couldn't always get seldom got in a pot of soil! A homeostasis mark.

1684665673658.png
Sweet-N-furry

After you talk about MeJA I want to ask why (from an evolutionary standpoint) the plant increases oil production when under drought stress? How do fatter trichome heads help the plant survive or reproduce?
Lets begin with the period of pubescent growth most gardeners call "stretch". When we flip the lights down to 12 hour shifts the fun begins as the cannabis plant begin to develop the gonads required for reproduction. The genetic regulatory network (GRN) will be synthesizing hormones that will direct the sexual development of the plant. From this point on, the plant's reproduction goal is paramount.

As the flower bracts develop the GRN begins reformulating ratios and mixtures of hormones and phytohormones that direct the synthesis of Jasmonate (JA). The JA in turn via the ja pathways begin creating the secondary metabolites including THC & CBD that will be stored in a system of trichome glands that serve the primary responsibility of insulating the developing seed stock from harm.

When we look at what happens in a drought.
Stomatal closure.
Increasing levels of ABA.
Reallocation of available plant resources.
Loss of turgid posture.
Increased volume of stored metabolites
and secondary metabolites.
Lastly plant death.

Stomatal closure.
When the GRN has gotten enough reports of low moisture content in the root mass it will direct the closing of stomata to save water from evaporating thru the leaves. This is a big event and growth ceases. With no way to let the molecules of moisture out of the top, the roots are incapable of adding molecules of water from below. Hydraulic pressures and stuff.

Increasing levels of ABA,
As the reports of low moisture accumulate the GRN will begin to synthesize ABA. When the severity of the drought increases to a DNA controlled limit, the GRN recognizes the threat to the reproductive organs and responds by stimulating (adgitating) the ja pathways resulting in increased oil productions.

After the GRN has closed the stoma the rules change dramatically. The energy used by the plant maintaining turgid posture and shade avoidance will be redirected to the synthesis of essential oils. Energies and resources stored in the foliar mass will be cannibalized resulting in discolored and dying leaves. The leaf wilt angle (LWA) representing turgid posture will increase as the drought continues.

Increased volume of stored metabolites and secondary metabolites.
The system of trichome glands begins to accept a greater volume of essential oils to be stored resulting on an over filling of the bulbous gland heads. This is presented as coiling of the trichome stems due to the increased weight of the gland head. (This is where we rescue the plants).

Plant death.
With the stomata closed, no new water molecules go in or out. The plant dries to death. For the survival of the species, her faith rests in the last-ditch effort to coat the florescence with essential oils hoping to keep the seeds from being eaten by critters or drying out prematurely. All her efforts revolve around protecting the seeds she thinks she may have.

My apologies in not being able to communicate this very clearly. My mind is not what it used to be.
Az I will come back later today with a few words about meja. Then it may all be crystal clear exactly how mentally dull my thinker is lately.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. It was clear and concise and my ? was answered.
Follow-up curiosity…
If the glandular head is being filled with more cannabinoids due to the drought response, then the head size should be measurably larger on the droughted plants compared to the un-droughted plants. What is being hinted at is that the thc is actually increased on each individual glandular head.
So the methyl jasmonate can increase the field density and the application timing is critical with that.
What are the safety concerns with using MeJa on a combustible medicine?
So these 2 tools can:
1. Increase the amount of available trichomes (field density) by using MeJa
2. Increase the volume (head size) of oils/cannabinoids that are being produced in each head.

In cannabis plants the primary defensive mechanism synthesized is a compound known as Jasmonate. The plants GRN will recognize infestations of attacking bugs and critters and respond by directing the plant to synthesize jasomnate. The Jasmonate (JA) will agitate the ja pathways stimulating an "all hands on deck" approach to maximum oil production.
Simultaneously the GRN directs the synthesis of new and more populous trichome glands needed to store the oils being produced. The belief is the additional oils serve to dissuade attackers both in tasting bad and being very sticky.

So back when I could, I bought some jasmonate. Not much good to me as a resinous oil I must first make the compound into an ester. Adding at a ratio of 5 to 1 we need to dilute the not water-soluble compound with pure grain alcohol. This creates a solution known as an ester. Now we are water soluble. Our ester is called methyl jasomnate (MeJA).

The visible populations of glands spread to undersides of foliar mass as well as down along the petiole.
As my friend @CannaFish points out this can be very useful to those in the know!!!
I usually apply the meja the first day of week 6 in flower.
Along the general timeline of begining week 7 we initiate the drought.
Long and slow goes it.
Almost as much as LWA, I watch the Calander. More days is better. 10 or 11 days when possible.
After we attain an increase in LWA of 50% compared with turgid posture we rescue (fertigate) or arrange for harvest criteria.

When it all works we have done everything to catch this wave.
Cowabunga's to yawl. :love:

Hope that makes sense Az. Not a clear day in my head.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. It was clear and concise and my ? was answered.
Follow-up curiosity…
If the glandular head is being filled with more cannabinoids due to the drought response, then the head size should be measurably larger on the droughted plants compared to the un-droughted plants. What is being hinted at is that the thc is actually increased on each individual glandular head.
So the methyl jasmonate can increase the field density and the application timing is critical with that.
What are the safety concerns with using MeJa on a combustible medicine?
So these 2 tools can:
1. Increase the amount of available trichomes (field density) by using MeJa
2. Increase the volume (head size) of oils/cannabinoids that are being produced in each head.
The bulbous heads are swollen, but denser as measured by weight more so than by size. They are being "concentrated" if you get my meaning. note; This is when I think the magic occurs. The resin produced under duress is more concentrated.

The safety of consuming cannabis treated with MeJA has not to my knowledge been explored. The same ester is used in agriculture products we consume, but do not burn. The application of one foliar spray diluted to around 150 ppm with reverse osmosis water might not even be detectable. But to be straight, I am not positive.

Hope that helps

:thanks: for the detailed answer to my question Maritmer, as usual!
The JA in turn via the ja pathways begin creating the secondary metabolites including THC & CBD that will be stored in a system of trichome glands that serve the primary responsibility of insulating the developing seed stock from harm.
So the increase in cannabinoids in the gland heads is to protect the plant during its final push to reproduce?
When we look at what happens in a drought.
Stomatal closure.
Increasing levels of ABA.
Loss of turgid posture.
Increased volume of stored metabolites
and secondary metabolites.
Lastly plant death.
If the plant is desperately trying to reproduce, why doesn't it hermie in response to the stress as we see it do under other kinds of stress conditions? That would be the way to produce the seeds it needs to protect with the increased cannabinoids.
The safety of consuming cannabis treated with MeJA has not to my knowledge been explored. The same ester is used in agriculture products we consume, but do not burn. The application of one foliar spray diluted to around 150 ppm with reverse osmosis water might not even be detectable. But to be straight, I am not positive.
Interesting...that's the first time you've mentioned that, and the reason the MeJA I have sits unused. :hmmmm:

Hi @InTheShed

So the increase in cannabinoids in the gland heads is to protect the plant during its final push to reproduce?

The thinking goes that the defensive mechanism of protecting the gonads is why any oil is produced. The resinous oil is not synthesized for our pleasure. It is there to make the flowers be sticky and bad tasting to critters, and to insulate from premature seed dehydration.

If the plant is desperately trying to reproduce, why doesn't it hermie in response to the stress as we see it do under other kinds of stress conditions? That would be the way to produce the seeds it needs to protect with the increased cannabinoids.

The abiotic stressors have differing expressions. The genetic code tells her to hermie under drought like conditions if this and this happen. The ability to hermie is part of the species survival response and you run an increased risk of hermies in the long droughts.

Interesting...that's the first time you've mentioned that, and the reason the MeJA I have sits unused.

Hah I thought I mailed it to @StoneOtter . Send it back if you dont want it. It cannot be replaced at my end.

multi quote not my forte

Houston... We have a problem.

The plant only had 3 weeks in veg and is not fully 6 weeks in flower. We hit her with MeJA at Week the end of week 5 with intentions of droughting. We will not be able to drought her. She is almost finished. Hydroponic speeds.

Ahoy There @ReservoirDog,
A very special prayer has been conveyed to our creator in your behalf.
With high hopes for your recovery.
Full Sails Brother :love:

Hah I thought I mailed it to @StoneOtter . Send it back if you dont want it. It cannot be replaced at my end.
I don't think I have it Maritimer. I tried to buy it once and received something similar that you and I really didn't know what to do with. I still have that. You know, maybe I do. I'll look around.
Thanks for getting all Botanisty and explaining the process again back there! The more I read it the more retention and understanding I have!
That frosty bunch coming up looks divine and you've tamed those SIP pots really well! They'll be something else!

I don't think I have it Maritimer. I tried to buy it once and received something similar that you and I really didn't know what to do with. I still have that. You know, maybe I do. I'll look around.
Thanks for getting all Botanisty and explaining the process again back there! The more I read it the more retention and understanding I have!
That frosty bunch coming up looks divine and you've tamed those SIP pots really well! They'll be something else!
I had you and my brother out west mixed up. He has one sample,and you shall also.
Bit busy next few days but I will get you hooked up. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom