Hi again,

I finally made my Solo Sip Version #1

There is a full build thing in the @DYNOMYCO challenge I’m doing link here.

But reckon you guys here in The Temple of SIP

😄

Will probably get it from the photos. Any comments or design/build screw ups you see (sure there are!) ask me here. The res is about 75-80ml/2.5 Oz. The main air gap is the width of a normal sized solo straw. Secondary with the perlite adds another 1cm say.

Its to repot a Seriotica seedling barely on her third node. Need that girl to gee up 🤣

Some pictures.

Nick

Turns out our vet sells these larger size syringes. Filling a 70ml res with a premix of hardcore nutes through that watering pipe seems the work of a minute.

Plus for reasons that escape me I have sets of scales of varying sizes all over the house to measure the approx water level. But I suspect just a shake or a glance against the light with 2000W plus of LED in there will tell me!

Design looks ok to you though? I took my time with it, its what would be called a SIP?

Nick

D4449554-0AA4-4FF7-9109-D3CEF3269396.jpeg
3AB2C914-F1E5-4D8E-A79D-CFC48BA29320.jpeg

So I'm attempting to convert my hempy buckets to SIPs. I've never grown in soil before.

I just got my grow dots. The instructions are pretty minimal. Just add 1-3 tsp per plant.

I'm guessing I should go with 3 tsp. It states you can either mix it into your soil or sprinkled on as a top dress.

So, my DIY SIPs are being made from 5 gallon kitty litter buckets. How do I mix in the fertilizer?

So, my DIY SIPs are being made from 5 gallon kitty litter buckets. How do I mix in the fertilizer?
Yes, definitely go with 3 tsp/gallon of soil-

I fill my pots with the soil, then dump it out, mix my Grow Dots into it, put it back in the pot, and stick the plant in there...I put it in the pot first so I know I'm mixing the Dots into the correct amount of soil- you may not have to do this, but I'm terrible at estimating soil amounts, so I make sure I've got the correct amount before adding the dots to it.
And you don't let the GrowDots "cook" like with some other soil additives- they're ready to go as soon as the water hits them- this also starts the Dot clock.
They allegedly last 16 weeks (6 veg, 10 flower) but I've found that about 65 days in, you may need to add some K to the mix to keep your plant at peak health...

Not an expert, though- I've only used them for my last 2 grows, but this has been my experience both times

Looks Fabulous! And clever hack with the syringe. :thumb:
Thanks mate - honestly I just walked into the downstairs bathroom last night, I don’t use it much and saw it and yelled out the living room to & Co
“Babe where that big syringe come from, from the vet?”
After I picked shat she’d thrown at me for asking so rudely she said, “Yes the vets, from the dog’s ears, I need to taking the new puppy there tomorrow and would a like a couple?”
Yes please!
But perfect size for feeding a small pot or early rather than just mixing.

Nick

Yes, definitely go with 3 tsp/gallon of soil-

I fill my pots with the soil, then dump it out, mix my Grow Dots into it, put it back in the pot, and stick the plant in there...I put it in the pot first so I know I'm mixing the Dots into the correct amount of soil- you may not have to do this, but I'm terrible at estimating soil amounts, so I make sure I've got the correct amount before adding the dots to it.
And you don't let the GrowDots "cook" like with some other soil additives- they're ready to go as soon as the water hits them- this also starts the Dot clock.
They allegedly last 16 weeks (6 veg, 10 flower) but I've found that about 65 days in, you may need to add some K to the mix to keep your plant at peak health...

Not an expert, though- I've only used them for my last 2 grows, but this has been my experience both times
Thanks for the info Carcass 👍

So in SIP you wait to transplant until 24 hours after filling the reservoir to wick up the moisture and that's when the clock starts ticking, yes?

You're welcome!

You can do it that way- I gave them one top watering on transplant day, then all other waterings have been through the res.
Once you get the soil wet from either top or bottom, the clock starts- and it'll start wicking just fine.
Once they get a bit bigger, it's amazing how much they'll drink- mine each drink about a gallon per day...unfortunately, both my reservoirs are only half gallon, so I water twice a day most days.

You're welcome!

You can do it that way- I gave them one top watering on transplant day, then all other waterings have been through the res.
Once you get the soil wet from either top or bottom, the clock starts- and it'll start wicking just fine.
Once they get a bit bigger, it's amazing how much they'll drink- mine each drink about a gallon per day...unfortunately, both my reservoirs are only half gallon, so I water twice a day most days.
On that topic... my bucket reservoirs hold about 1 gallon each. The overflows connect to a return pipe which empties into a 17 gallon reservoir outside the tent. In my hempy setup I would run a feed pump 15 minutes every 90 minutes. I use 2 gph drip emitters so that's about 1/2 gallon every 90 minutes.

This works well in hempy and ensures the res stays pretty much full and keeps the nutrients from getting stale. Would this work in SIP with soil or should I use something more sophisticated?

I could try a float switch or I recall someone early on in this thread someone made a pretty slick level indicator with an arduino, but, I've got 5 buckets and I'm sure the pants will drink at different rates. The main reason for this conversion is the KISS principal. What do you all think?

I could try a float switch or I recall someone early on in this thread someone made a pretty slick level indicator with an arduino
I can't really help you with that, stardawg17, although I may try to figure out some type of autofill system for my SIPs, so I'll be paying attention to what you end up doing...
I was thinking about a float valve, but there's not a lot of room for one in my SIPs, because of the small reservoirs.
Maybe some type of water sensor on the overflow pipe could be useful as a shutoff for the
autofill system, but I don't yet know how I'd put that together ...

( I'm not really sure what an arduino is... :))

Highya Carcass, guys and gals,

Arduino is an electronic device that is the basis of electronic projects. I've looked at it for quite awhile. Just don't have the need for fancy gadgets anymore. All old school for me. You could set up a reservoir in a separate container for more room for the float switch. If it messes up, you'd need to take it apart to fis it. Whereas in a separate container, just take off the top and fix. We'll keep at it until we find a great solution. Happy Smokin'

I can't really help you with that, stardawg17, although I may try to figure out some type of autofill system for my SIPs, so I'll be paying attention to what you end up doing...
I was thinking about a float valve, but there's not a lot of room for one in my SIPs, because of the small reservoirs.
Maybe some type of water sensor on the overflow pipe could be useful as a shutoff for the
autofill system, but I don't yet know how I'd put that together ...

( I'm not really sure what an arduino is... :))
Probably the most direct way to do it is with @ReservoirDog 's post Here and below. 👇👇

Back
Top Bottom