Seven Hazes

Buddie and Polly

Here's the male NL#5 x Haze selected to be pollen donor, and pollen there will be. But so far none of the flowers have opened. I brought him inside because a downpour last night, he was completely bent over from the weight of the rain. I staked and tied him, will leave him in a room with some sunlight and watch for pollen.

There are Michka and DTHF males that are also well into flowering outside. The Malawi and SMH males are not nearly at this stage, males like females slow to flower, though the males ought to start soon. More later...

Hey does anyone recognise this leaf damage? What could cause this? Compare the two photos.

This photo taken this morning, about 10 hours ago. There is some leaf damage starting to show.

This was taken 10 minutes ago:

The plants were all treated with neem oil + safer soap this morning -- after the first photo was taken. If this is broad mites damage, I suppose I am on the right track with neem. However, I have never had this kind of damage and just wonder if it couldn't be something else.

I've done some checking and it seems insecticidal soap should not be used on recently transplanted plants, and the plants in question were transplanted two days ago. Does anyone have any experience with that?

What should I do? Remove the affected/infected leaves?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
Are you using cal.mag on her if u have it work.bone.meal.into.the ground around her will.help with calcium

@Mountainman80 thanks! I've top-dressed with a flowering boost including bone meal and calcium since those photos on July 4, and the situation is resolved. I'm still not sure exactly what the problem was, and the use of too strong a neem/safersoap solution plus the extreme heat we were experiencing could have been the cause as well. But now new growth on that same plant is lush and green! :yummy:

@Mountainman80 thanks! I've top-dressed with a flowering boost including bone meal and calcium since those photos on July 4, and the situation is resolved. I'm still not sure exactly what the problem was, and the use of too strong a neem/safersoap solution plus the extreme heat we were experiencing could have been the cause as well. But now new growth on that same plant is lush and green! :yummy:
That's great that they're back on track. I am so looking forward to your garden's progress!

That's great that they're back on track. I am so looking forward to your garden's progress!
Thanks! Things are really starting to take off now. "We are now.... :theband::theband:

...in flowering!"

All of the plants in full flowering, females and males. The first to flower were NL#5 x Haze, Durban-Thai Highflyer, and now Michka as well. There is only one Michka plant, and it's male so maybe I will get the SLH x Michka cross I wanted. This group all have some small % of indica, poly-hybrids.

It's interesting the DTHF was so fast, in fact tied for fastest to flower with NL#5 x Haze. At first I thought DTHF was going to be a pure sativa, late-flowering. Not so. The original by Super Sativa Seed Club was Durban Poison crossed with a Thai sativa, so still pure sativa. Next, DTHF was crossed by SSSC with Bros Grimm's Cinderella 99 back in the day, giving it the poly-hibridean touch of indica via C99 from the Hemperer Jack. Then Fleur du Mal back-crossed that C99 cross with another pure Thai sativa -- Flying Dutchman's Thai-Tannic to stabilise / reinforce the cerebral sativa head high. So it's clearly poly-hybrid, a "whopping" 20% indica. And that's enough to make it flower fast. Fleur du Mal's indoor flowering indication was a mere 8 weeks.

It's amazing. Especially considering the really lengthy estimated finishing time for Malawi of 14 weeks or early November outdoors, for Super Malawi Haze late November, Purple Haze Malawi mid-December.

I have to be careful with that pollen, it was dropping in globs onto the leaves below. After working with the males, getting them set up indoors and also to start drying some of their flowers, I remembered reading somewhere I had to take a shower before going near the flowering room.

So pull up a chair the fun is about to begin. :yahoo:

Super Malawi Haze has bright green bud sites forming.

Super Lemon Haze#2: This "indica pheno" has tight little buds that look very indica-ish. Skunky aroma, mild so far.

Durban-Thai HighFlyer x C99 x Thai-Tannic responded to the top dressing two weeks ago (no longer light green).

NL#5 x Haze "Hazy pheno" was earliest female to start flowering.

It's interesting the DTHF was so fast, in fact tied for fastest to flower with NL#5 x Haze. At first I thought DTHF was going to be a pure sativa, late-flowering. Not so. The original by Super Sativa Seed Club was Durban Poison crossed with a Thai sativa, so still pure sativa. Next, DTHF was crossed by SSSC with Bros Grimm's Cinderella 99 back in the day, giving it the poly-hibridean touch of indica via C99 from the Hemperer Jack. Then Fleur du Mal back-crossed that C99 cross with another pure Thai sativa -- Flying Dutchman's Thai-Tannic to stabilise / reinforce the cerebral sativa head high. So it's clearly poly-hybrid, a "whopping" 20% indica. And that's enough to make it flower fast. Fleur du Mal's indoor flowering indication was a mere 8 weeks.
I need to correct this erroneous statement in bold. Fleur du Mal back-crossed the DTHF x C99 with Flying Dutchmen's Thai-Tanic, true. But contrary to my post, Thai-Tanic is not a pure sativa but a cross Thai sativa with Skunk No. 1. Skunk #1 is said to be 33% indica. It could be that Fleur du Mal's DTHFxC99xThai-Tanic is closer to 25% indica, which is more than I thought. DTHF male was the earliest male in the grow to put out pollen, which I've now harvested.

Super Lemon Haze #1 ("haze pheno") yesterday.

As it turns out, this one really does look like a haze, grows like a haze, and everything about her is hazy. Tall and wispy with longer darker green leaves, very mild but sweet aroma of pastry, buds snaking along her stems (not in clumps or compact buds). SLH #1 has preflowered rather late and slowly, so I guess I'm in for a long flowering time, prolly well into November.

It's worth noting that her sister, SLH#2 (the "indica pheno" from the same 5-pack of GHS Super Lemon Haze I bought in 2020), has a totally indica-ish look to the flower.

See post #48 above for more photos. SLH#2 also is shorter and rounder, has shorter leaves with a metallic yellow kind of hue, and a skunky lemony aroma, and she flowered about a week earlier.

At this point I would expect SLH#2 (indica) to finish earlier. Looking forward to that! (And to the other, as well!)
:ganjamon:

Here's a shot taken at 2 p.m. today, September 18, of NL#5 x Haze #1 in the Grow Zone. She's the farthest along in flowering of any of the strains in the grow, and also the least "hazy" (and not to be confused with the "hazy pheno" of NL#5 x Haze shown above). SLH and DHTF are coming along nicely, and Ace's pure sativa, Malawi, is also starting to flower. But when it comes to the Ace polyhybrid strains Purple Haze x Malawi and Super Malawi Haze, these are in pre-flower but are not yet flowering. Am in for however long it takes, prolly into December, and today hung transparent tarp on the outside of the structure to let light in but keep out the cold and wind that will inevitably come along in a few weeks. Outside temp this morning (without the tarp) was in the low 40s F / 6 C, but the tarp, once I got it hung, allowed the sun to raise the temperature inside to 80 F / 27 C this afternoon. It's like a greenhouse!

The ACE strains: Malawi and Super Malawi Haze are a bit farther along than the PHxM:

PHxM top growth seems to have stopped stretching... PHxM really likes the epsom salt foliar! As the first photo shows, she's had some rough spots during the summer -- a K deficiency, plus heat stress, and now seeing her vigorous response to the epsom salt foliar feed, I think she needed the Mg supplement. Probably the most difficult or pickiest plant in the grow, she has needed regular attention and this being my first time growing PHxM, I may not have responded as soon as I should have...

NL#5 x Haze now well into flower... Has been a happy camper and easy to grow.

Super Lemon Haze #1 (the "haze pheno"):

And last but certainly not least (this is a huge plant) -- Durban-Thai HighFlyer x C99 x Thai-Tanic:

NL#5 x Haze ("hazy") after pollination by Super Malawi Haze. I was away for two weeks, leaving my "all female" grow on the balcony with ample water. On returning, I discovered that the SMH (pictured in post #41 above) was male and had, in my absence, flowered and dispersed pollen on the balcony. Hopefully not all the plants will be seedy.

The NL#5 x Haze was right next to the SMH, which had been blown over by wind. What a shock. I had no idea and thought the SMH was female, but there it was. NH#5 x Haze now has many pistils turning a reddish hue, a telltale sign of pollination. I wanted to cross SMH with a few of the plants anyway, and at least I'll know that any seeds are from a cross with SMH. The other plants on this balcony are Shiva Skunk, Super Lemon Haze #2, and DTHF.

The plants at my other location (Grow Zone) will of course be sinsemilla. Always good to have a plan B!

Spotted another male today. Sheesh! It's the PHxM in the grow zone, right there with all my prized females! The really late flowering sativas (mainly in this grow PHxM and SMH) don't preflower or show their sex until very late, this one just now in mid September. Fortunately those male flowers will not be dropping pollen for at least a week, and I can figure out what to do with him. Maybe a cross with an earlier flowering haze like DTHM, hmmm.

After discovering that a Super Malawi Haze was not only male -- a fact I had not even suspected until returning from a two-week absence -- but flowered and had been blown over by the wind and dispersed pollen, I suspect many of the 4 females on the balcony grow will produce seeds. I'll have some NL#5 x Haze X SMH, which I would've liked anyway but not without a controlled pollination. Not all the other plants have buds with the seeded look, yet. But there probably will be SMH crosses with some of the others: Super Lemon Haze, DTHF, and Shiva Skunk. Here's how they look today.

Super Lemon Haze:

Shiva Skunk:

NL#5 x Haze ("Hazey"):

DTHF:

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

I need to correct this erroneous statement in bold. Fleur du Mal back-crossed the DTHF x C99 with Flying Dutchmen's Thai-Tanic, true. But contrary to my post, Thai-Tanic is not a pure sativa but a cross Thai sativa with Skunk No. 1. Skunk #1 is said to be 33% indica. It could be that Fleur du Mal's DTHFxC99xThai-Tanic is closer to 25% indica, which is more than I thought. DTHF male was the earliest male in the grow to put out pollen, which I've now harvested.
C99 is a killer strain she looks good

Can anyone tell me if this is a male or female yet or is it too early
Seems to be still in veg. Is it from "regular" seed? Is it a pure sativa or a hybrid? Auto or photoperiod? Just from looking at your photo, I'd say it is still too early.

Back
Top Bottom