RC grows White Widow with CFLs!

thanks Dain, Weedpipe, bubba, settingsun, spike, oldskoool, tunes

Great work with the LST. Curious about the heat from those 68W CFL's. I run 8 42W 2700 CFL's in my small cab, air entering is 75*, and exits the top exhaust fan at 80*. Also, do you need a ballast to run those higher watt CF's?

Thanks.

the 100w 6500k CFLs have ballasts built in like other CFLs but they use mogul sockets. im not sure what the 100w+ "grow" CFL bulbs use. but the Flourex 100w lights i use are outdoor security lights from home depot, mixed in with the HPS merc vape, and MH lights. about $60, spare bulbs 16$ they can get a little warm under the white plastic reflector not too bad but no problems with keeping a fan on the top of the plants, keep mine about 2" away no signs of heat probs or burning, plants respond well, newer bulbs are also decent at reaching lower growth and growing bushy plants, i need a new bulb.

for the 68w 2700k CFLs, they are also found at HD in the light bulb section. about 15$ ea and ballast built in, last flower i used one of those with a 100w flourex, good results with dense buds, very stoned! i went out the other day and bought the last 2 68w bulbs they had, wait to flower then ill get another 2. this is gonna be a lil diff than my last grow so not sure exactly what to expect for temps.

again i think i will be fine with the fan on them. ive been keeping temps low 80's lights on at night with the last setup, but this is south fla just comming out of the 88+ every day range. came home from work today and veg closet is 74 lights on ;) exciting! this will be getting cooler soon and i think the flowering WWs are gonna LOVE it!. i think the new lights will be fine, im growing in a spare bathroom, door open almost 11hrs of lights on time.:yummy:

im thinking about building a hood, or reflector type thing. but im still not sold on reflectors for flouros or CFLs except not to blind yourself, my experience... they hold too much heat, keep fans blocked from cooling them, and cant use between 2 plants. but if i do something, i could build an exhaust fan on top but would it be worth it? maybe better to scatter around and through plants "bathing them in light" maybe...

my dad stopped by the other day, he is an old time grower. outdoors and flourescent tubes. i remember growing up and the garage was always filled with green plants , or following him down long trails through the woods and watch him feed his girls. but anyways, he stopped by the other day and i showed him a couple of nugs that i harvested a few weeks ago and her was very impressed by the quality and density of them, HE COULD NOT BELIEVE that they were grown with CFLs. he was very suprised and kept asking me about the lights, i think hes about to get back into growing now and think hes gonna be stopping by home depot this weekend for some lights lol. i even offered him some clones and he seemed interested. im excited because i think he will be able to get me some good clones from another bud of his (jack the ripper, sour choke, vortex) ;) i wasnt expecting nugs like i have been getting with these lights, very happy

ummm i forget where i was actually going with this, im pretty high right now, some lemony frosty nugs i have been letting cure for a while, doesnt even smell the same anymore, but yummy as a cows ass

so whats up everyone? i think ill do pics tomorrow, not much to report, clones still looking good, trying to keeo the girls tied down, theyre fighting the strings while im a work. i tied down the top of the FIMd clone a little to get the 6 ( i believe) tops even.
LSTd clones have a few branches growing up, was hoping for a few more by now, but still got a couple more days to veg, i really want to flower them soon. the sooner i flower the sooner i can get some more clones going... ahh screw it, more clones tomorrow guys, ill take pics. time for another GB

wow! breaking news! im not smoking my lemony long curing stuff, thats why it tastes and smells so different! lol im retarded. its the "pineapple express" i picked up the other day. thats what my bud was calling it, hes pretty good about names and has no reason to BS its all good and he knows thats all that matters, name or no name. sweet fruit smell, less taste than you would think from the smell of it, but taste like it smells. strong and even head/body high. im high lol

maybe ill just hit the post button now so you dont have to liste

Well i have moved the LSTd clones to the other room under the other 100w CFL 24hrs light period to get the branching to respond more and it seems to be working already! I'm suprised i didnt do that to begin with DUH!

clones01.JPG

clones02.JPG

clones03.JPG

clones04.JPG

clones05.JPG

clones06.JPG

SO its time to take a few more clones! I only take what I need because I have had 100% success sofar (keeping fingers crossed knock on wood). As you can see from the supplies used we have some work ahead of us, this is a very basic method I use. Lets get to it!

clones07.JPG

First I use small water bottles and I cut the bottoms off to use as small containers, cut them so they are about 2.5-3" tall. Cut a few small slits in the bottom with a sharp knife to alow water to seep in and drain.

clones101.JPG

clones112.JPG

Mix up a perlite/vermiculite mix, using about 2/3 perlite and 1/3 vermiculite. Miracle-Gro perlite has been working just fine for me.

clones121.JPG

Fill cups with your perlite/vermiculite mix and soak in a very light nute mix. i use about 1/16 tps of super bloom 12-55-6, 1 drop of superthrive and a pinch of rooting hormone powder per 16.9fl oz water bottle with dechlorinated water ph about 6.8-7.0

clones131.JPG

now I can grab momma and dowse and scissors in denatured alcohol. I like to use scissors, I feel there is less chance of tearing the clone off.
Of course pick out your clones before you start clipping. I cut my taller tops to even out and just keep working my way down, then new clones are starting while im clipping the next batch and I keep a cycle going this way and mom stays about the same height.

clones141.JPG

clones151.JPG

clones161.JPG

Now I clip the fan leaves 2 nodes down from the tip of the clones and clip the tips of the larger leaves left on the clone. I do this while still on mom so I dont have to worry about rushing to a cup of water so quickly. Get a cup of dechlorinated water ready and I use the top of a water bottle upside down to help keep the clones from going under. Cut your clones and stick them in
the cup of water.

clones171.JPG

Now is when you need to be quick,
Scrape the outer layer of stem away about a half inch up from the bottom, cut end of stem at a 45 degree angle, dip in water, dip in rooting powder and stick in your soaked perlite/vermiculite cups. then I mist my humidity domes and put over the new clones.

clones201.JPG

clones211.JPG

I have noticed the longer you leave the humidity domes on the clones the longer they will take to adapt to not having it. I leave the domes on for about a week, then a week without. Mist if you need to, will help keep clones from wilting. then after second week you can tug lightly to see if roots have started.

once they start rooting, let them go a few days then transplant into soil and watch them take off!

clones08.JPG

clones09.JPG

well fellers, a quick update for everyone!
FIM clone will be going into 12/12 this weekend when i can afford a couple more lights. she is looking good, tops getting bigger, shes ready to go!

LST twins were put under flower lights yesterday and right now they are going through their 12hr dark cycle, theyre also branching more, will take pics later.

mom is happy as always and new clones are still looking good and strong

hey guys, sorry about the lack of updates, have been away for the week dogsitting for the parents, and after the first day of being here my laptop quit working for me, wont even start, one more thing to fix, so now im not 100% sure how im going to get pics from the cam to the GFs computer (dont worry ill figure it out).

so anyways this is all i can do for now. everything it looking good, my newest clones have all rooted and can survive w/o the humidity dome! the LST clones in flower are taking off and keep needing to be tied down some more every day. the FIM clone's branches are getting large and i will need to put into flower as soon as i get back home. i am going to have a very busy week comming up, will be making the 2.5hr drive to orlando and back TWICE (10hrs total drive time eeeew) thanksgiving, fixing computer, and playing catch-up in the garden, all while working my 8hrs mon-wed woohoo! i really need to get some pic updates up here the girls are getting big, lots of growth since last pics!

my dad stopped by the other day, he is an old time grower. outdoors and flourescent tubes. i remember growing up and the garage was always filled with green plants , or following him down long trails through the woods and watch him feed his girls. but anyways, he stopped by the other day and i showed him a couple of nugs that i harvested a few weeks ago and her was very impressed by the quality and density of them, HE COULD NOT BELIEVE that they were grown with CFLs. he was very suprised and kept asking me about the lights, i think hes about to get back into growing now and think hes gonna be stopping by home depot this weekend for some lights lol. i even offered him some clones and he seemed interested. im excited because i think he will be able to get me some good clones from another bud of his (jack the ripper, sour choke, vortex) ;) i wasnt expecting nugs like i have been getting with these lights, very happy

ummm i forget where i was actually going with this, im pretty high right now, some lemony frosty nugs i have been letting cure for a while, doesnt even smell the same anymore, but yummy as a cows ass

so whats up everyone? i think ill do pics tomorrow, not much to report, clones still looking good, trying to keeo the girls tied down, theyre fighting the strings while im a work. i tied down the top of the FIMd clone a little to get the 6 ( i believe) tops even.
LSTd clones have a few branches growing up, was hoping for a few more by now, but still got a couple more days to veg, i really want to flower them soon. the sooner i flower the sooner i can get some more clones going... ahh screw it, more clones tomorrow guys, ill take pics. time for another GB

wow! breaking news! im not smoking my lemony long curing stuff, thats why it tastes and smells so different! lol im retarded. its the "pineapple express" i picked up the other day. thats what my bud was calling it, hes pretty good about names and has no reason to BS its all good and he knows thats all that matters, name or no name. sweet fruit smell, less taste than you would think from the smell of it, but taste like it smells. strong and even head/body high. im high lol

maybe ill just hit the post button now so you dont have to liste

Finally found someone that can go on like i do, i get goin and before i know it i got 200 words and only half done :smokin: Great lookin grow man, got me a lemon skunk for next grow, cant wait, my lowryders be done real soon, will be my first time smokin good weed ! :goodjob:

hey guys, finally internet again! its very mysterious, comes and goes

much much to update on, all is good since ive last updated. the 2 LSTd clones are full on into flower, already very frosty and starting to small like the buds the seeds came from! ime very excited!!! lol

the FIMd clone looking very good and close behind the others.
i finally have all the lights i was wanting for flowering and was thinking of flowering the mother under the 2 100w CFLs (6500k) any thoughts?

i still need to find a way to upload pics, my laptop is down, just doesnt start for some reason, havent gotten a chance to pull it apart yet.

:nicethread:
Whats RC just tuned in to your journal and your grow is looking great so I'm doing some LSTing of my own but like your use of the rope

wow, i cant believe they have another 5 weeks left and look as frosty as they do already, trichs only been showing for 3 days now, every day they look twice as thick as the last and smells twice as good. look good enough to smoke already :) very suprised, much faster growing with thicker buds than the mids bagseed im used to growing lol. starting to see how much of a diff genetics play, pretty interesting.

anyone ever try chocolate chunk before? used to get it from a friend all the time before he moved to a diff state, now hes back and i just got a bag from him. same stuff but even better than before, he said theyre getting Co2 now. great smell and taste i love it, sweet but not overly sweet or flowery . smooth sweet delightful afghani flavor with sedating afghani indica stone ;) yummy!

Chocolate Chunk
chocchunk01.JPG

chocchunk02.JPG

chocchunk03.JPG

Back
Top Bottom