Politoed Grows Fastbuds Auto OG Kush, Cream Cookies & Grapefruit In Hempy Under 500W Budget LED

Week 4 - Quadlining

It was a very eventful week in the 4x4 tent. At various points throughout the week, the plants started throwing out pistils indicating they are starting to flower! I decided to quadline my girls around day 23-25 from seed.

For those unfamiliar, quadlining is a training method where you remove nodes 1 and 2 of the plant, and top at the 5th node leaving only nodes 3 and 4. I have included pictures on how this process looked on my Cream Cookies plant. You can see that although it seems like a major surgery, within 3 days the plants are creating 4 new main growth tips. I learned this method here on 420 forums, and am excited to see how it improves yields.

I have some plant ties at the ready, and hopefully by the end of the week the growth tips will have reached the ends of the pots and i can start shaping the plant into its final form. I have broken basically every rule of autoflower plants so far. I have topped them, defoliated and repotted. I have also done some leaf tucking to expose the new main grow sites. So far they seem happy, and if I end up with decent yields I will consider it a major win.

The large Cream Cookies plant pictured was the last one to throw pistils out, which happened today, 4 weeks from the date I planted the seeds in the perlite. So hopefully within about 9 weeks or less, we will be harvesting these six plants. The large Cream Cookies is shaping up to a be a beast, and I am excited to see how big it will get.

I did a little experiment, because the Grapefruits were about a node behind where they should be to perform a quadline. On one of them (the one showing the single calyx), I performed the quadline as normal. Since the top node was a lot smaller than I would prefer, I ended up fat fingering it a bit and taking some leaf material from the new branches that I didn't intend to take. Mistakes happen. On the other, however, since the second node had real true leaves (5 tips), I decided to only remove the first node and top above the fourth node, leaving nodes two and three as opposed to the usual nodes three and four. That plant responded really well, didn't miss a beat, and is the other plant pictured "looking like a cabbage."

Nutes (/gal)
4ml Micro
4ml Gro
4ml Bloom

Temp: 73-79ºF
RH: 40-60%
IMG_2330.PNG
IMG_2332.PNG
IMG_2334.PNG
Grapefruit pistil action.
IMG_2321.jpg
Grapefruit looking like a cabbage.
IMG_2322.jpg

I have broken basically every rule of autoflower plants so far. I have topped them, defoliated and repotted. I have also done some leaf tucking to expose the new main grow sites

awesome! That’s great, took the plunge. They look healthy. Can’t wait to watch it develop and the pics are crisp! Good stuff @politoed

awesome! That’s great, took the plunge. They look healthy. Can’t wait to watch it develop and the pics are crisp! Good stuff @politoed
thanks. wouldnt have done it without your encouragement! im just using my iphone for the photos on here, but I am also documenting the grow with my DSLR and making a video to go along with the journal. I figured I'd post the video at the end, when it's time for the smoke report :D

Hey there, Nice setup! I grew hempy style back in the day. It’s great. I’ll hang around for the show if you dont mind. Should be exciting to watch them grow. Explosive growth for sure. Happy growing!!
thanks for the words of encouragement, and the company! im enjoying the hempy so far too. ive done 3 soil grows before this. i might run a side by side in the future with some clones to see how they compare.

Week 5 - LST

Well it is the end of week 5, and the stretch is in full swing. The girls have grown about an inch or two every day. Some of the plants have entered into full flower mode, and tiny baby buds are starting to form.

I have been LSTing the plants since last Monday. I have extra time and only 6 plants, so I spent time retying them every single day to make sure I could maximize the effect. All of the branches have 3 mains now, and some even have 5. I am sure I will have to do some defoliation soon, as they're getting bushy as all hell. Most people seem to say day 21 of flower is the best time. Not sure if that applies for autos as well. I have held back on taking too much stuff, but have pulled a few undernodes here and there.

It seems like the OG Kush and Grapefruit are still a few days ahead of the Cream Cookies. This has me excited because the Cream Cookies has started to develop one of the most complex and alluring aromas I have ever smelled in my life. It really does smell like cookie butter from biscoff or speculoos, if you've ever had that. Mix that with some coffee, chocolate, and earthy mocha notes and thats the best way I can describe it. Also oily. They have started throwing some more pistils but still seem to be vegging a bit. I hope they get huge and yield nicely. I imagine edibles made with this strain would taste very nice.

One of the Grapefruits is definitely showing a little deficiency.. the leaves have some rusty and dull looking spots in the center. I included a picture, I think it is a calmag deficiency? I am using tap water that comes out at 200 PPM but who knows what those 200 parts actually are. That, plus the LEDs and I am not surprised they're a bit hungry. The supplement I got is rated at 2-0-0 so I dialed back on the Gro a bit to compensate for the calmag and the commencement of flowering. I stuck with the 4ml/each ratio for the whole week, except yesterday when I switched to the schedule I will include below.

The OG Kush is bushing up nicely, but on one of the plants, some of the tops are not really stretching much more than they already have. I have read these sometimes grow single-cola style and produce some ok side branches. Maybe she is mad I cut her head off on day 1 of flowering? Seems like it might end up looking like a crown of short nuggets at the end. I'm okay with that.

Anyone wanna start an over/under on how many days these things go?

Nutes (/gal)
4ml Micro
1ml Gro
4ml Bloom
4ml Calmag Plus

Temp: 73-79ºF
RH: 40-55%

Group Shot
IMG_2407.PNG

Aerial View
IMG_2408.PNG

OG Bush (Kush)
IMG_2409.PNG

Cream Cookies sisters looking plump
IMG_2412.PNG

Grapefruit seems like it needs some love. Hopefully adding calmag and reducing N helps.
IMG_2413.PNG

@Budget LED , tomorrow is the start of week 6 for these girls. They're under (2) 250w Series 3+ Red Specs..

Would now be a good time to have the lights at 24" and 100% power draw?

Do you guys have a power schedule you recommend?
Yes!

Not a formal schedule because growers all tend to have a different preference. However, let me sit down this week and write up something.

thanks for the quick reply :D I started around 30-40% for the first 2 weeks, then 60% for week 3, and 80% for week 4 and 5. I'll kick them up to 100 now and watch the fireworks:theband:
That sounds right and basically what I would have said! I follow a very similar schedule in my personal tents. My veg tent (I have a 500w in 3500k in it) Is set to 250w at all times. I leave the light at the top of my tent. I have found it gives the plants the light they need and they grow into it very well. Then in my flower tent, I leave the light at almost the top and then hit them with 85% power until they make their stretch and then 100%

It gets alittle murky because some growers like to maintain the 30 to 40% range but maintain a closer plant to light distance until they enter flower. Then gradually increase power. That is why I say every grower is different.

And can't wait to see the end result! :theband:
ohhhh I like that idea of letting them grow into the light. Seems natural. I think I'm gonna be in a similar boat with these lights soon.

As soon as this grow is finished, I am moving them into my 12/12 room (a bit of a weird ceiling) fixed at around 48" from the floor. Gonna be a 0 veg SOG in 2L pots. Will have them at one height the whole time and ride the power knob if I need to. These lights are 3000k and this was their original purpose. I wanna grab a 3500k for my autos when it fits in my budget (no pun)

thanks for your continued info and support!

Photo Shoot (Day 37 From Seed)

OG Kush
CC16F9F0-9B4D-44F1-BE7C-20F3530CD7F2.jpeg

0699654B-1799-4590-85C3-BC9F653929D2.jpeg

28253E53-7DE8-4DCF-A46F-7D29F5D0452A.jpeg
A76793EE-AB93-4BFA-B686-992DF4B4A5F4.jpeg
383235B2-BC6A-484A-84B6-34AFD0A9395C.jpeg
70DD5C8A-C0E4-4CCE-AC26-E14E5FBEC9DC.jpeg

Cream Cookies had to be defoliated a bit. I kept finding wet leaves, and the inside was just a mess. She wasn’t getting taller, just bushier in the middle.

(Before Defoliation, Day 35)
68114C74-06DC-4C48-854E-65C78D0FDE88.jpeg

F35B81A5-7B25-49CF-9EC6-3851E9EBE4EF.jpeg

(After Defoliation, Day 37)
You can see how much happier she is directing her energy in a productive manner. Shot up a few inches and is starting to fill out nicely. In the group shot 2 photos below, she is center left.
C043BC7A-5808-4970-82FD-44D12567FEA4.jpeg

Group shot.. I really love the shape of these quadlines.
2BC12B90-5C59-4778-9449-0ED78A15E62C.jpeg

Week 6 - Rollercoaster

Another eventful week in the tent. The plants are still stretching (except for one OG Kush), and some plants hit their first speed bumps. The Cream Cookies were starting to sag and show some deficiency. After some help, they seem to be doing better.

I just want to shout out the Hempy Headquarters thread, and specifically @FelipeBlu @bluter, and @DrDoob for helping me troubleshoot these issues and get the plants back on track.

It looks like a calmag deficiency, which I did see coming. However, my tap water has a decent amount of calcium already. So I either went way overboard with 4ml/gal of calmag+, or the amount combined with the water possibly locked out other nutes.

Lessons learned: Start slowly when adding supplements, don’t just jump to a full dose!

I also may need to filter my water and add back calmag in controlled amounts. We will see how things progress, but for now, after going down to 1-2ml calmag+, we seem to be back on track.

All of my devices are being really weird with photos right now so hopefully I can upload something later.

Back
Top Bottom