New to Indoor - First Indoor Grow - HOG - 2011

Well it's begun! Plant number 1 chopped 9 more to go:)... Here's some pics:

The first victim...
001596.JPG

Overall not bad... I broke down the bud pics to large (relative to the plant), med, small, and bud shake.
002643.JPG
005543.JPG
006482.JPG
007482.JPG
008446.JPG
010382.JPG

Large 108 g
Med 27 g
Small 80 g
Total Yield of Quality Buds = 215 g

I figure @ 75% loss in cut wt. which should be about 53.75 g of high quality meds for this plant not including final trim. Not spectacular but I can live with it :blunt:

Clean Bud shake: 100 g

Now to tackle the other 9... Gonna be a long weekend.
:tokin:

Please take a moment and hold a vet in your heart this weekend. I miss my bro's as I'm sure many of you do also.

:peacetwo:

Well it was a marathon, but hella fun! Harvest took 17 hrs and three people working pretty steady to complete!:phew: My wife and I had a blast! Actually I think that's the most time we've spent together in one room since the kids were born! Only report I have right now is that the finger hash friggin rocked... Boom Boom out go the lights! I'll have a complete report with pics later.

Hey and many props. Just went thru this thread in one sitting.

You say it's HOG? Highland Oaxacan Gold? I thought that was a sativa.

Nice thread and grow program you have there.

Cheers

Hey and many props. Just went thru this thread in one sitting.

You say it's HOG? Highland Oaxacan Gold? I thought that was a sativa.

Nice thread and grow program you have there.

Cheers

Thanks G-Dog! Though I'm not sure about your sanity for reading this journal, lol!:) The following information is from ourweed.com.

Hog Marijuana Strain Review November 22, 2010 by Our Weed Editor
Filed under Marijuana Strain Reviews

An Indica dominant beauty, Hog is a grade A strain of weed. A descendant of two renown strains, Afghan and Kush, holds a sweet, yet spicy smell that will leave your nose tingling for more.

The nug for Hog is beautiful. The crystals glitter like snow, because it is covered in trichomes. The slightly fluffy nug is also covered with orange hairs. The taste is just like the aroma, with that sweet and spicy, tingling appeal.

Hog will leave your body feeling heavy, making it the perfect evening smoke. Incredibly potent, for medical purposes Hog is useful for body aches and pains, as well as neuropathy.

Hog Marijuana Strain

Indica
Sweet and spicy scent/flavor
Heavy body high
Good for body aches/pains and neuropathy
Descended from Afghan and Kush

Since this is my first time growing indoors and this strain , I cannot claim to be an expert. That being said I do believe this strain was developed in (of all places) Mississippi! It has all the traits of an Indica dominant strain (broad leaf, short/stocky/bushy plant/ lots of purple leaves at harvest and can take a lot of abuse, as you know from reading my journal lol!), and the review above is pretty close to my experience. I will be doing a complete smoke review as soon as they are ready and will have more info then. If your interested, I did smoke the finger hash and you can read about this hopefully later today. In 2002 the strain won the Cannabis Cup with a rating of 9 in THC content. Hope this info is useful.

High all! Here's a couple of pics of the harvest in the grow room now turned drying room.

006483.JPG

005544.JPG

Here's some Numbers:

Total Bud: 3594g or 7.92 lbs wet
Assuming I lose 75% in water wt.and final manicure finish wt. would be 1.98 lbs
or 31.69 oz with a yield of 3.16 oz of high quality med's per plant. Average rated yield for this strain is 2-3 oz per plant so I'm thinking overall we made it and at the mind blowing (for me anyway) top end of the scale :allgood:

Average number of cola's between 4"-5" per plant= 8-11 :yahoo: I am a happy camper, lol! Now if I can just get through the dry and cure...

Room temp is being kept at 75 and humidity is set at 40%. I'm thinking of dropping the temp to 65. Any opinions? More post analysis soon. Thanks to all of the contributors and followers of this journal. :thanks:

Thanks G-Dog! Though I'm not sure about your sanity for reading this journal, lol!:) The following information is from ourweed.com.

Hog Marijuana Strain Review November 22, 2010 by Our Weed Editor
Filed under Marijuana Strain Reviews

An Indica dominant beauty, Hog is a grade A strain of weed. A descendant of two renown strains, Afghan and Kush, holds a sweet, yet spicy smell that will leave your nose tingling for more.

The nug for Hog is beautiful. The crystals glitter like snow, because it is covered in trichomes. The slightly fluffy nug is also covered with orange hairs. The taste is just like the aroma, with that sweet and spicy, tingling appeal.

Hog will leave your body feeling heavy, making it the perfect evening smoke. Incredibly potent, for medical purposes Hog is useful for body aches and pains, as well as neuropathy.

Hog Marijuana Strain

Indica
Sweet and spicy scent/flavor
Heavy body high
Good for body aches/pains and neuropathy
Descended from Afghan and Kush

Since this is my first time growing indoors and this strain , I cannot claim to be an expert. That being said I do believe this strain was developed in (of all places) Mississippi! It has all the traits of an Indica dominant strain (broad leaf, short/stocky/bushy plant/ lots of purple leaves at harvest and can take a lot of abuse, as you know from reading my journal lol!), and the review above is pretty close to my experience. I will be doing a complete smoke review as soon as they are ready and will have more info then. If your interested, I did smoke the finger hash and you can read about this hopefully later today. In 2002 the strain won the Cannabis Cup with a rating of 9 in THC content. Hope this info is useful.

Yeah it's a cloudy Sunday in Seattle. I have just been lazy, in the jammy pants all day and web surfing.

So you have a different HOG than I have been following in other forums. HOG is what drew me to this thread, it is a spacey Mexican sativa.

Nice healthy grow you have and a good harvest. I bet you and your's are happy with it. A lot of work and cash, but a decent payoff for you in return. You make my hands sore looking at all those manicured buds.

Just a few notes post mort for now, I will add more as soon as I gather more notes. So for now here's a few highlights that stand out to me:

Disclaimer: I am not a scientist and this WAS my first indoor grow. These are just my gut observations so please, if you disagree with my observations and conclusions, feel free to add and/or clarify.:peacetwo:

LST:

I think this was the single biggest factor in the production of multiple large colas which IMHO contributed strongly to an above average yield for this strain.

I chose LST instead of other methods for the following reasons;

1) it would reduce the overall growth in height as I feared the plants outgrowing the available elevation of the lights. This I think ultimately was something I did not have to be concerned about. Over cautious is how I would describe it as this strain is relatively short even for an indica.
2) this method seemed to me to be the least likely to shock the plants at that time in the veg cycle while producing multiple large cola's. This ultimately proved to be dead-on and why I will use this method in the future both indoors and out.
3) in the old days (yes I am ancient, lol) I never really did like "topping" as it seemed to stunt growth overall. The operative word here is "seemed" because it appeared to take a long time for the plants to recover. But this was outdoors so I'm not sure there's any real info to be drawn from this.

This pic was taken after LST and about mid flower stage. As you can see there is not just one large dominant cola. The growth had almost evened out.

012277.JPG

In this pic you can see the entire grow is almost like a SCROG without the screen.

024107.JPG

Gotta run for now I'll add more later.:peacetwo:

Yeah it's a cloudy Sunday in Seattle. I have just been lazy, in the jammy pants all day and web surfing.

So you have a different HOG than I have been following in other forums. HOG is what drew me to this thread, it is a spacey Mexican sativa.

Nice healthy grow you have and a good harvest. I bet you and your's are happy with it. A lot of work and cash, but a decent payoff for you in return. You make my hands sore looking at all those manicured buds.

Do you plan on growing the other HOG? and by-the-by it was Tennessee not Miss. just thought I'd clarify. It was a labor of luv 4 sure, but still labor, lol!:) and thanks! :peacetwo:

Wow:adore::adore: Amazing harvest MacG. Thats a lot of buds and a hefty yield for a first time indoor grow my friend:bravo::bravo: Looks Like a seasoned pro did this grow, i am sure we will see great journals and grows to come from you:high-five::high-five: Im glad I was here for the ride and looking forward to other grows:bravo::bravo::bravo: And BTW that canopy could not be much more perfect unless you had a net or scrog setup, i love it!!

Wow:adore::adore: Amazing harvest MacG. Thats a lot of buds and a hefty yield for a first time indoor grow my friend:bravo::bravo: Looks Like a seasoned pro did this grow, i am sure we will see great journals and grows to come from you:high-five::high-five: Im glad I was here for the ride and looking forward to other grows:bravo::bravo::bravo: And BTW that canopy could not be much more perfect unless you had a net or scrog setup, i love it!!

Thanks Bro! Very happy for my first grow and cudos to you for following and sticking with me:thanks: I'll start my new journal soon. It will be a whole new grow with a decent mix of indoor and outdoor. My goal is to have a total of 16-20 new plants with a minimum of 4 strains. We'll see...

:peace:

Well I think I friggin BLEW it!!! The larger buds are over dried... I choked bottom of the final inning and bases loaded!!!:cough:

There's just no way to describe my idiocy. I was on my way to cruise through a nice long dry period and cure. Last night I went through and picked all the smaller buds after checking them and placed them into curing jars. They were starting to feel dry on the outside but the stems were still pliable. I placed them in a curing jars and checked them with an hygrometer today and they are at 60% rh, Fine they are in curing mode.

I also checked the larger buds at the same time and figured I had another 24 hrs for them at least, due to their size relative to the smaller buds. I increased the rh controller to 50% and temp down to 72 f. I didn't bother checking them till about 2 hrs ago and they are crisp! I now have them in curing jars and I'm getting an rh of only 53%. From what I have read that is too low for a cure. Maybe the rh will climb over the next 24hrs but I think their toast.

Anyone have thoughts besides calling me a dumb ass lol to save this grow? Any info would be appreciated.:peacetwo:

MacG...Awesome yield! :welldone:
Don't panic! They may not be out of the cure zone yet and it's amazing how dry the feel when they go into the jars and how moist they get once they spend some time in. Especially with those larger colas, there's sure to be some moisture still inside that just needs to be drawn out. Keep an eye on the humidity while they're in the jars. Once it starts getting up towards 60%, start burping the jars. If you're really worried they've overdried, you can also try adding a fresh leaf or stem to the jars, but at 53%, you're not too far off and it will take time for the hygrometer to show the actual reading. :goodluck:

MacG...Awesome yield! :welldone:
Don't panic! They may not be out of the cure zone yet and it's amazing how dry the feel when they go into the jars and how moist they get once they spend some time in. Especially with those larger colas, there's sure to be some moisture still inside that just needs to be drawn out. Keep an eye on the humidity while they're in the jars. Once it starts getting up towards 60%, start burping the jars. If you're really worried they've overdried, you can also try adding a fresh leaf or stem to the jars, but at 53%, you're not too far off and it will take time for the hygrometer to show the actual reading. :goodluck:

Thanks Bro! I just got home and checked the hygrometer. 60% I'm a friggin HAPPY camper! :yahoo: and as usual you nailed it!:adore:

I was thinking that at worst I could make some awesome hash out of it lol! But I'm glad that I'll be able to bring them to the final phase.

Thanks Bro! I just got home and checked the hygrometer. 60% I'm a friggin HAPPY camper! :yahoo: and as usual you nailed it!:adore:

I was thinking that at worst I could make some awesome hash out of it lol! But I'm glad that I'll be able to bring them to the final phase.

Glad to hear it, Bro! :thumb:

I just went through the same thing on my first harvest. I thought I had overdried the buds after only a couple of days. But, like I said, it's amazing how crisp they are when the go in the jars and how soft they get after a little time.
:goodjob:

Well this will be my second to last post on this journal as I still want to record a smoke report before I close and begin my next journey/journal. I just want to record for future reference the post-mortem of the roots after harvest.

There was a lot of concern on my part about fungus gnats and the problems they may have caused. Here's some pics:

The first two pics sort of speaks for themselves. The roots were healthy and have good color.

003611.JPG

002651.JPG

This pic shows that the root ball filled the container. Which makes me think that I should have planted them in 5 gal pots instead 3 gal pots which may have contributed to an even better yield.

001603.JPG

In closing and IMHO the f gnats did not cause as much problem as I feared and at one point I had a major infestation. We're talking yellow cards filled within days! So I'm not sure what to make of this info, but I won't be as paranoid next time I run into that problem.

Speaking of yield: The final tally is 840 g of quality curing med buds which is 84 g per plant, and .7 g's per watt on a 1200 watt grow. Not bad for my first time as I understand that 1 g is really good. :allgood:

Glad to hear it, Bro! :thumb:

I just went through the same thing on my first harvest. I thought I had overdried the buds after only a couple of days. But, like I said, it's amazing how crisp they are when the go in the jars and how soft they get after a little time.
:goodjob:

Hey Krip! Just blows me away that how crispy they seemed to be but are now in cure mode and getting nice and sticky. Also the aroma coming from the jars as I burp them now (daily) is amazing. The change is very distinct and obvious even for this old nose, lol! I'll post a smoke report soon. I'll start my new journal this weekend as I am back to work this week with some friggin grueling hours. I hope to see you there!

Smoke Report:

Since I do not have a lot of experience with other meds (not for the past 20 yrs or so anyway:laughtwo:) I asked a friend to try some of my bud and I will use his and his girlfriends report and give my view after. I will name them D (him) and S (her) here for obvious reasons. :)

D said "We smoked it in a bowl rather than a vaporizer to give you an accurate "smoke report" as you requested. S, who is very sensitive to smoke said it was smooth on inhale and exhale and did not make her cough at all. In fact she actually requested more today. Something she has never done before as she rarely partakes in smoking pot. She really enjoyed the high because it was mello and very relaxing". D said that he was "extremely happy with the way the smoke made him feel, relaxed and buzzed without the paranoid psychosis that some pot makes him feel, without any harshness to the throat and the smoke was sweet. There was no giddiness, just relaxation".

For me the smoke is very smooth, piney, and spicy/sweet. I use a vaporizer 99% of the time. I made an exception in this case because I really needed to know what others will experience from these meds. I found it to be smooth on both the intake and exhale, and no real hard hitting lung pressure expansion, although I did experience some, just not enough to make me explosively blow out. I really like the aroma of the smoke which IMO is earthy, rich and full bodied. :)

For me the physical affect is what many refer to as "couch lock"?, which is to me a very relaxed high. The psychological effect is similar to what I have read somewhere before (I can't remember where) :) "don't plan on going anywhere because you can't remember where the car keys are, only to find out there in your hand"! :tokin:

These meds, IMHO (I'm not a doctor or scientist) , would be great for those who seek arthritis relief, and mind relaxation, which is why I chose this plant. So I am very pleased with it. Hog is some STRONG serious meds for sure and one I will keep in my cab.

Well this is my final post on this journal! It's been hella fun and a great learning experience. Thanks to all who visited and contributed! :thanks:

My new journal begins tomorrow! It is an indoor and outdoor extravaganza with 3 different strains and 2 mystery strains. It ought to be a lot of fun. Please visit if you can. :peacetwo: :thanks:

This journal is complete! :yahoo:

:420: ROCKS!!!

Back
Top Bottom