My First Journal: GG#4 In DWC & Soil

This might sounds silly.....Is there any certain way to train a plant in DWC? I figured it really wouldn't matter at all. But just wanted to make sure before I journey down that road. I know some strains do better to certain trainings.

..only limited by your imagination training a plant in Dwc :)
Namaste

..only limited by your imagination training a plant in Dwc :)
Namaste
I assumed the training method didn't matter regardless the medium I use. I just wanted to make sure though before I started to cut and tie things down that they weren't more prone to problems because of certain modifications to the plant. Thanks.

I assumed the training method didn't matter regardless the medium I use. I just wanted to make sure though before I started to cut and tie things down that they weren't more prone to problems because of certain modifications to the plant. Thanks.

Show me how it's done :morenutes: I've never had much luck training per say other than topping , spreading , pulling, and bending ..can't wait too see how yours turns out ! :)

Show me how it's done :morenutes: I've never had much luck training per say other than topping , spreading , pulling, and bending ..can't wait too see how yours turns out ! :)
I am thinking about main-lining the DWC and giving the soil plant 500 different tops and training her out as she grows in. Normally I veg for 4-6 weeks with 4 being the usual average. This time around I am giving them a full 8 weeks prior to flipping. 2 monster GG#4's in a 3x3 under the TS-3000. They are going to kill it.

Should be a good run.
I am hoping so. This is my first time running GG so I may also keep a clone or two just in case. I hope the Grand Daddy Purple and the Grape Ape I have going come out half as decent as they looked. I plan dropping temps late flower to pull some nice colors on those 2. I got them from our sponsor here @New420Guy Seeds. I had the chance to run a bunch of his strains and I have yet to have a complaint.

I was able to top the GG#4 in soil today. A few more days and I'll remove the top 2 fan leaves to allow the new growth room and light. Training to start as soon as I can. I still need another day or two before I do anything to the DWC GG#4.

Checking my levels today I discovered that the plant is eating and drinking quite well. My PH is staying within 5.8-6.0. It varies time to time. Something common? My PPM levels are dropping slowly and my water levels have dropped as well. I topped off the res today. I have a res change coming in 2 days and the schedule bumps the PPM level in the 1100 range. With the plant eating, the increase of an extra 200 PPM should correct this as the plant is growing very well. Even though she was a day behind the GG #4 in soil, I expect her to pass the soil plant in no time. She has a nice green to her now as well. Not too dark, not too light. Anyways, I thought about the training techniques I would be using with these plants. Since the soil plant will be topped with LST applied, the DWC will get the same as well. My buckets allow for clips so instead of using screws, I'll be using the normal clips I get from Dollar Tree along with the brown string. Has a name but can't remember off the top of my head. Pictures will be upload once this process has begun. I was able to get the DWC plant topped today as well. Both plants were topped between the 4th and 5th nodes. A good couple days and LST will begin. Other then that, there's not much else going on in the garden. I expect to start feeds on the soil plant next week as well. I like to give the plants a good week, sometimes even 2 weeks after a transplant into new soil. If the soil is used, I feed right away. Normally new soil though. Feed will start at 25% of the recommended dosage.

***Note*** Z7 and the nutrients show a delivery day for Friday of this week. Fingers crossed.

Looking good. Her leaves are now wider then the bucket. GG#4 DWC
91027625_353217402303619_5058905329278910464_n.jpg

Topped and doing great. GG#4 FFOF Numbered as #1. I have a #2 seedling started.
91045514_640423873407973_3763220954293993472_n.jpg

Currently in my 3x3. Various strains with different times. TS-3000 FFOF

90594972_596347761226172_1688847549571530752_n.jpg

My little veg & clone box. TS-1000 FFOF

90758241_257665128584460_4469638453377630208_n.jpg

A peek in my other flowering room. 3 plants getting close to finishing up. 2 x TSL-2000's FFOF
90987168_244983020236276_8739439427161423872_n.jpg

The Dwc plant is doing well looks like your getting the hydro growing dialed right in. That's exactly what you want to see a slight ppm drop and the water level dropping at the same time. You will see ph fluctuations I don't know enough about it yet to give you a real detailed answer but as long as you can keep her in the right range you will be good.

The Dwc plant is doing well looks like your getting the hydro growing dialed right in. That's exactly what you want to see a slight ppm drop and the water level dropping at the same time. You will see ph fluctuations I don't know enough about it yet to give you a real detailed answer but as long as you can keep her in the right range you will be good.
Thank you. I still find myself checking everything on that plant more often then I should be....but she is my first DWC so it's understandable. My Ph doesn't go up or down too much but never outside the range I stated. I figured it was fine. I recalibrated to make sure and I still came out with the same reading. The GDP, Grape Ape, and the couple others I started at the same time are much smaller then the GG#4's both in soil and DWC. I expect her to really take off in the next few days since I just topped her and will be upping her feed. I am getting the hang of it though without a doubt and honestly I still love the extra time that I do get with the plant.

She is pushing out a nice root system they are a perfectly healthy white color too. Keep up the good work!
Oddly, I have only used the Fox Farm nutrients, tap water that sat for 24 hours and the occasional Ph up or down when I am mixing a new bucket. Inside the buckets stays pretty clean too. The air line gets a little tinted the color light brown from the color of the nutrients. But nothing that looks like algae. I make sure she looks better under more then she looks above lol. The last thing I need is root rot late in the grow. But everything is going great now so if I stick to the routine I am sure she will flourish.

I am changing my res later today. Tomorrow I have a pretty full day planned so I rather do it a day sooner then a day later. She has responded already from the topping. Pointing and happy. In another day or two, I'll be removing her top 2 fan leaves and possibly the set of leaves below those 2. I like to do this to allow the new growth room and to get light. I am expecting to start the training early next week.

Since the DWC GG#4 is doing great, I am pondering the idea of switching the nutrients when they arrive tomorrow. I am considering just finishing the grow with what I am currently using. I don't want to plant to have any ill affects from with switch. Thoughts?

I would be switching from F.F to G.H....

I'm a huge fan of GH Flora Trio, been using it ever since I started DWC

Use the FF for the dirty dirty Dirt girls, GH for DWC
When I do switch, would it be better to give the plant the PPM levels GH has for my plants age on the schedule or should I drop it PPM level a little lower since its a completely different brand of nutes? I figured I can always add more if needed.

I don't use ppm, I go by strength% of manuf suggested

Same ppm of different brands is not the same % of nutes and makeup
When I mixed the nutes up with the FF using what they suggest for hydroponics, the schedule shows were the PPM levels fall. Surprisingly, I was in the ranges they suggested as well. Have you used the nutes at 100% before?

Back
Top Bottom