Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

I have a 5 x 5 tent and usually run a 1000 watt HPS for flower,I have read quite a bit about HPS and mixing LED.. so my plan is to run a 600 watt HPS with 2 Mars-Hydro 144 x 3 reflectors,until the summer heat becomes too much.

My Mars II 400w arrives this Friday.. I plan on adding it to my 600w HPS/MH that has a selector for 100/75/50 %.. I am gonna start it with it set to 50% and increase as the plant needs.. popped beans are only a week old this Friday. I am in a 3x3 tent

I have a 5 x 5 tent and usually run a 1000 watt HPS for flower,I have read quite a bit about HPS and mixing LED.. so my plan is to run a 600 watt HPS with 2 Mars-Hydro 144 x 3 reflectors,until the summer heat becomes too much.

I would go straight led, if you are worried about "airy" buds with LEDs those days are behind us(mars 400)I use good soil and liquid organics and grow DENSE buds that are so frosty. Even the smaller buds just leave dusty Kief piles like buds you get at a CC, without the high price.

So I've seen people saying that to add UVB to leds just hang some t5 lights. Which I never thought much into but I had a few open up so I was going to throw them in with the led to see what if any difference they would make.

Well the issue I came into and i will wait till tonight to address but figured I'd ask here is,

The led recommended high th is 18" mines around 16" so do you say to lower the t5 below the led creating a shadow blocking some led light? Or to keep it level with the led which would make the t5 almost pointless to have in there in my thinking.

Please touch on this more if you can. I'm going to be thinking about this for awhile.

Thanks guys, much love

I&I

Here is a picture taken today with an old Bloggie I found.

DSC002497.JPG

Crappy Picture but you can see the silver sheen, not much green in there. :)

DSC0025412.JPG

Better picture, this bud is a ROCK, and a random seed, I'm currently running some Bay 11 clones that are absolutely gorgeous and growing vigorously. I'm hoping 7-10 days or so to flip the switch. I love this hobby, and I'm a real person TOO. :peace:

Gf the only time I have used the CFL's in my grow is for supplemental lighting and I use it on the sides... I certainly don't think I would cut out my LED footprint for the cfl's but of course I very certainly could be wrong and there may be some kinda science behind it IDK but I would have to see it to believe it I think... I do think they can be beneficial just to use as side lighting to help with penetration light....:circle-of-love:

We're primarily looking for the UVB in flourescents, as I understand it. The science doesn't seem to be "settled" as they say these days, though. Also, the UVB falls off very rapidly past a few inches, so for best effect, you have to get them close. That works great with overhead T5s or CFLs, but as you say, how do you get them a few inches off the tops while the LEDs are 18 inches away? If you put them on the sides, the middle won't get any benefit. CFLs can be hung into the canopy, but T5s? I've been mulling over the same thing. T5s are so much more efficient - it'd be nice to use them - but how?

Another option is a big induction flourescent in the middle, with LEDs around it.

Gf the only time I have used the CFL's in my grow is for supplemental lighting and I use it on the sides... I certainly don't think I would cut out my LED footprint for the cfl's but of course I very certainly could be wrong and there may be some kinda science behind it IDK but I would have to see it to believe it I think... I do think they can be beneficial just to use as side lighting to help with penetration light....:circle-of-love:

In my setup, picture is a few post back, I wanted to add one in between the hps and led, and on the other side, but the one in the middle may not block much light since there is a lack of light there (should be brighter)

I'd agree I don't want to block the light from my plants but I want to get the full effectiveness of the t5, but don't see being able to mix it into my led without hurting the light from the led itself. The reason I bring this up is its been the answer to the lack of UVB light in leds but I can't seem to find a real way to blend it in effectively. I will be playing with it tonight to see if I can get something to work out but wanted to see if anyone had experience doing this or if it's just something people say you can do it but they don't because it's not practical.

Also wondering about how the led lights can be mounted. I have a smaller 160x3 light I was wanting to place under my canopy, facing upwards. To see if I can get dense "b sized" nugs that would normally be c nugs. I realize there is concerns that go into this and I have thought of many of them and know I can get it hung and plugged in to work fine, my question is, will the fan and components operate the same? Or could some Fail? I won't have the light in there either when I foliar spray.

I&I

Our plants don't like to be lit from underneath - it messes with growth hormones. Side is ok, but underneath isn't effective.

Our plants don't like to be lit from underneath - it messes with growth hormones. Side is ok, but underneath isn't effective.

If this is true and I'm not saying it's not. I'd like to see tents get rid of the mylar on the floor as it makes for several issues in older tents or tents "well used" would be nice to just have a floor catcher that is regular material. Or does minor lighting benefit the lower c nugs?

I&I

Yeah, I'd think of the floor light more as ambient light. More light = more better. :cheesygrinsmiley: It bounces more light around and that's good. But to add concentrated light from below has as many drawbacks as benefits - a waste of electricity.

Where has this figure of 35w per square foot come from? I keep reading it on this thread, and i've never seen it anywhere else. Almost all grow room calculators and experienced growers i've come across advise between 40 and 60w, with 50 being optimum.

I'm not saying they're right, i just have no idea where 35 has come from :hmmmm:

35 watts per square foot is what Colorados Finest always uses when asked how to calculate how much light is needed with led lighting. I have seen him use 35 watts per square foot in alot of his post. With Hid, I know many use 50 per sq ft as minimum.
They said for flowering you don't want only led, you have to supplement it, this true? How is everyone's flowering in Only led?
I have to buy lights for my flower tent soon! Thanks fellow buds!

who is "They"? :winkyface:

Not on this thread. :blalol:

I would go straight led, if you are worried about "airy" buds with LEDs those days are behind us(mars 400)I use good soil and liquid organics and grow DENSE buds that are so frosty. Even the smaller buds just leave dusty Kief piles like buds you get at a CC, without the high price.

Most people find that LEDs produce denser nuggs, not airy nuggs. If you're nuggs are airy with LED, with HPS in the same space, it would be worse. I think airy buds are mostly the result of a room that is too hot. Since LEDs run much cooler, the microclimate near the plants is much cooler.

So I've seen people saying that to add UVB to leds just hang some t5 lights. Which I never thought much into but I had a few open up so I was going to throw them in with the led to see what if any difference they would make.

Well the issue I came into and i will wait till tonight to address but figured I'd ask here is,

The led recommended high th is 18" mines around 16" so do you say to lower the t5 below the led creating a shadow blocking some led light? Or to keep it level with the led which would make the t5 almost pointless to have in there in my thinking.

Please touch on this more if you can. I'm going to be thinking about this for awhile.

Thanks guys, much love

I&I

We're primarily looking for the UVB in flourescents, as I understand it. The science doesn't seem to be "settled" as they say these days, though. Also, the UVB falls off very rapidly past a few inches, so for best effect, you have to get them close. That works great with overhead T5s or CFLs, but as you say, how do you get them a few inches off the tops while the LEDs are 18 inches away? If you put them on the sides, the middle won't get any benefit. CFLs can be hung into the canopy, but T5s? I've been mulling over the same thing. T5s are so much more efficient - it'd be nice to use them - but how?

Another option is a big induction flourescent in the middle, with LEDs around it.

This will be hard without a picture...
I have my lights hung in a grid, ie there are "paths" down the rows between them. I envisioned hanging single bulbs horizontally between the lights. If you imagine the triangular pattern of light from the LED, the T5 would be hung below the LED, but still in the shadow. Depending on which LED panels you have, you would want the appropriate length T5.

I thought about this, and then decided it wasn't worth it. First, there is the expense and work to wire it all up. Then there is the recurring cost of the bulbs. Isn't that one of the reasons we all bought LEDs? There is also additional heat. That may or may not be an issue for a particular space.

My buds are very frosty with my Mars II. :morenutes:

If this is true and I'm not saying it's not. I'd like to see tents get rid of the mylar on the floor as it makes for several issues in older tents or tents "well used" would be nice to just have a floor catcher that is regular material. Or does minor lighting benefit the lower c nugs?

I&I

It's true. That's why the tops of leaves look different. Phototropism is also evidence that a plants light absorbing ability is directional in nature. :winkyface:

I was just referring to old versions of LED's that were fine for Vegetative, but for Flower they FAILED miserably. A buddy of mine used to have one of those UFO's back in the day, he thought he was going to produce the DANK, long story short, it turned out foul and barely better than bammer. This was years ago. Oh how the LED's have progressed over time, technology at it's finest. :volcano-smiley:

Back
Top Bottom