Jon's Second Grow, First Grow Journal, Soil Grow Autos & Photoperiod

Plain old increase in yield.

Meh, kinda sorta. That's where I do the best I can without too much worry. If They stay within a few inches by the end it's good for me. Best we can do with a constantly moving subject.

Yes, that defines a scrog to me. Otherwise the net's just holding up colas on a plant.

That's my plan.

While you're tucking the cola ends, you're also tucking side branches as well, keeping the canopy even within a few inches. Perfection is not available on this task so no worries if it's not. If you don't like a height...tuck it. As you go along it becomes obvious how they react.

Nope, I fill, go up some, then flip. I don't scrog all the time but I did one last year. I was disappointed because I didn't get the 75% fill before flip but I wanted to get the grow on the road so I flipped. The plants still were very generous in the end. Here's the grow. WeedSeedsExpress Godfather OG In LOS Scrogged & Cored
I love questions!
Thanks SO! Glad you like answering questions cuz I love asking them. Lol. I just read through the Godfather OG journal and that is a SWEET harvest. The buds looks super amazing and now I want to grow that strain, lol. What's the THC level supposed to be around? It's high isn't it?

So I have a plan. After tossing it out on here and also an extensive conversation with my Yoda from Oregon, apparently it's time to flip these girls. I'm taking the advice of @StoneOtter and @Emilya and @Bill284 and @Dimotacious and others on several levels here. So now I'm letting the plants just grow up now for a couple days. The flip will happen May 1, cuz it's only a few days away and because I like round numbers. So May 1 we go to flower!!! YAY. Then I expect the more challenging part of filling out a screen gets underway in earnest. Can't wait.

So I have a plan. After tossing it out on here and also an extensive conversation with my Yoda from Oregon, apparently it's time to flip these girls. I'm taking the advice of @StoneOtter and @Emilya and @Bill284 and @Dimotacious and others on several levels here. So now I'm letting the plants just grow up now for a couple days. The flip will happen May 1, cuz it's only a few days away and because I like round numbers. So May 1 we go to flower!!! YAY. Then I expect the more challenging part of filling out a screen gets underway in earnest. Can't wait.
I've been hearing good things about giving 36hrs of darkness before flower. Speeds things up by a few days. Im doing next run if you don't do it, ill let you know how it works for me.
Your doing great my friend.
Bill

One of the good things about photo plants is that you are in charge for the most part. Some rules do apply but many are up to you like this one. Flip city !

Thanks SO! Glad you like answering questions cuz I love asking them. Lol. I just read through the Godfather OG journal and that is a SWEET harvest. The buds looks super amazing and now I want to grow that strain, lol. What's the THC level supposed to be around? It's high isn't it?
@Weed Seeds Express has it at possible 30% and I believe it! Higher and higher! What a plant to scrog too! I hadn't done a scrog for years and I was using rusty skills. The buds that got the most light were some of the most dense I've grown.

I've been hearing good things about giving 36hrs of darkness before flower. Speeds things up by a few days. Im doing next run if you don't do it, ill let you know how it works for me.
Your doing great my friend.
Bill
Thanks Bill, and yeah, I'm all over that. I'm doing it too. My buddy sent me a before and after shot of his garden (sorry, he asked me not to post) when he did it, and the difference was jaw dropping. It seemed for him it accelerated the process to start and set the bud sites very quickly. I couldn't believe it, and my Yoda tells me there's no way it can hurt the plants, so yeah, let's do it man! I'll make sure to post before/after pics. I betcha it's gonna be dramatic.

AUTOTOWN UPDATE
GORILLA ZKITTLEZ HARVEST SPECIAL
DAY 60

Well, it turns out today was harvest day for the Gorilla Zkittlez. 60 days exactly. I went to check her trichomes and by my definition of ready she was ready. So down she came. Here's a chronological pictorial of the very quick process. One thing I'll say about autos is they are SUPER EASY to harvest. The other thing I will say is that my garage STINKS to the holy heavens! This plant right now smells like a combination of deep dankness and cotton candy sweetness. VERY loud odor. I'm sure I'll be hearing about it in the morning. Lol. The little McGuyver cabinet setup is going to work fine. There's a fan under the buds circulating air in the closet and tomorrow morning I will run the outflow from the Gorilla tent into the top of the closet to cool it down and lower the humidity a little. She should be fine. However, unlike a tent, I can't contain the odor in the closet. Make it cool and low humidity, yes. Control the odor in the garage, no. LMAO. Hopefully the others will be able to be harvested and dried in the tent. I was able to get two flushes on the Gorilla Zkittlez in between the picture from 4/20 and today, and this girl had a clean water plus Cal Mag bath the watering before the flushes. So she hasn't had any nutes put into her in a little less than two weeks. I'm hoping I flushed her effectively (we don't have to get into the flush works/flush is crap argument tonight - I flush. Period.) There wasn't a whole lot to trim and what there was I left on the plant. I don't do wet weight cuz I think it's irrelevant except as a very rough estimate, and when they hang like they are there's no point. However, I did weigh the one large bud in the middle, and she was 59 grams wet. If I'm lucky maybe a half an ounce dried and trimmed. If that is any indicator, the other two groupings of buds far outweigh the single bud in the middle, so I think it's safe to say her yield will be around an ounce and a half. I have a curing method that I'll post when she's ready and I'll of course post dry/trimmed final weight and lots of juicy pics of finished buds.

So here it is in order:

First, here is what she looked like under the blurple/quantum board in the tent right before harvest: No, she is not pink like she looks. Green and purple mostly with a decent number of orange hairs that are a bit on the dark side.

Next I checked the trichomes. The picture shows you what I found. Sure enough, almost entirely milky with just a few amber here and there. If you look closely you can clearly see around a dozen in this picture. Perfect for my idea of when I want to harvest. So the decision was made to harvest right then.

Then I chopped the plant at the base right near the dirt line. She's small enough I knew I could handle her in my lap basically. So here she is out of the tent and on my lap (I'm holding her by the main stem, she's not touching me, and yes, I am wearing gloves).

Then I cut the plant into three parts - the giant main cola, and a relatively even split on the other groupings of buds. I tried to cut it in such a way that the buds would be separated and hang with plenty of air between them when they were hung. This took all of five minutes. Lol. There wasn't a lot to trim and what was on there I left on there until final trimming. Here's the plant chopped apart and hanging in the McGuyver closet. Harvest complete. Tent cleaned up and closed back up. Plants are going to dig the new increase in their space. FYI

The last thing I did was to attempt to have a gander at the root ball. I was really curious how using @Emilya's and @Bill284's watering methods would produce in terms of a finished root ball. So here it is in the picture. I couldn't get the damn ball out of the pot. The mass of fibrous roots you can see on top goes all the way top to bottom and side to side. The tap root was WAY on the bottom of the pot, as I felt for that one all the way down. Basically the entire pot was filled with fibrous roots. So I guess this is a successful root ball? I was pretty happy with it. For contrast, on my first grow, I grew six foot tall sativas in eight gallon pots and the root ball was way smaller than what I just produced in one tiny autoflower. So I'm gonna go ahead and say SOLD on Emilya/Bill's methodology. I would encourage anyone who hasn't read them to do so.

So that's it! I have completed the grow and harvest of my very first autoflower plant! Yay!

Pre Chop in Tent.jpg

Amber Trichomes.jpg

Post Chop Pre Cut Up.jpg

Harvest Hang.jpg

Root Ball.jpg

AUTOTOWN UPDATE
DAY 60

Well, it turns out today was harvest day for the Gorilla Zkittlez. 60 days exactly. I went to check her trichomes and by my definition of ready she was ready. So down she came. Here's a chronological pictorial of the very quick process. One thing I'll say about autos is they are SUPER EASY to harvest. The other thing I will say is that my garage STINKS to the holy heavens! This plant right now smells like a combination of deep dankness and cotton candy sweetness. VERY loud odor. I'm sure I'll be hearing about it in the morning. Lol. The little McGuyver cabinet setup is going to work fine. There's a fan under the buds circulating air in the closet and tomorrow morning I will run the outflow from the Gorilla tent into the top of the closet to cool it down and lower the humidity a little. She should be fine. However, unlike a tent, I can't contain the odor in the closet. Make it cool and low humidity, yes. Control the odor in the garage, no. LMAO. Hopefully the others will be able to be harvested and dried in the tent. I was able to get two flushes on the Gorilla Zkittlez in between the picture from 4/20 and today, and this girl had a clean water plus Cal Mag bath the watering before the flushes. So she hasn't had any nutes put into her in a little less than two weeks. I'm hoping I flushed her effectively (we don't have to get into the flush works/flush is crap argument tonight - I flush. Period.) There wasn't a whole lot to trim and what there was I left on the plant. I don't do wet weight cuz I think it's irrelevant except as a very rough estimate, and when they hang like they are there's no point. However, I did weigh the one large bud in the middle, and she was 59 grams wet. If I'm lucky maybe a half an ounce dried and trimmed. If that is any indicator, the other two groupings of buds far outweigh the single bud in the middle, so I think it's safe to say her yield will be around an ounce and a half. I have a curing method that I'll post when she's ready and I'll of course post dry/trimmed final weight and lots of juicy pics of finished buds.

So here it is in order:

First, here is what she looked like under the blurple/quantum board in the tent right before harvest: No, she is not pink like she looks. Green and purple mostly with a decent number of orange hairs that are a bit on the dark side.

Next I checked the trichomes. The picture shows you what I found. Sure enough, almost entirely milky with just a few amber here and there. If you look closely you can clearly see around a dozen in this picture. Perfect for my idea of when I want to harvest. So the decision was made to harvest right then.

Then I chopped the plant at the base right near the dirt line. She's small enough I knew I could handle her in my lap basically. So here she is out of the tent and on my lap (I'm holding her by the main stem, she's not touching me, and yes, I am wearing gloves).

Then I cut the plant into three parts - the giant main cola, and a relatively even split on the other groupings of buds. I tried to cut it in such a way that the buds would be separated and hang with plenty of air between them when they were hung. This took all of five minutes. Lol. There wasn't a lot to trim and what was on there I left on there until final trimming. Here's the plant chopped apart and hanging in the McGuyver closet. Harvest complete. Tent cleaned up and closed back up. Plants are going to dig the new increase in their space. FYI

The last thing I did was to attempt to have a gander at the root ball. I was really curious how using @Emilya's and @Bill284's watering methods would produce in terms of a finished root ball. So here it is in the picture. I couldn't get the damn ball out of the pot. The mass of fibrous roots you can see on top goes all the way top to bottom and side to side. The tap root was WAY on the bottom of the pot, as I felt for that one all the way down. Basically the entire pot was filled with fibrous roots. So I guess this is a successful root ball? I was pretty happy with it. For contrast, on my first grow, I grew six foot tall sativas in eight gallon pots and the root ball was way smaller than what I just produced in one tiny autoflower. So I'm gonna go ahead and say SOLD on Emilya/Bill's methodology. I would encourage anyone who hasn't read them to do so.

So that's it! I have completed the grow and harvest of my very first autoflower plant! Yay!

Pre Chop in Tent.jpg

Amber Trichomes.jpg

Post Chop Pre Cut Up.jpg

Harvest Hang.jpg

Root Ball.jpg
Congrats on the harvest @Jon she looks delicious :yummy:

AUTOTOWN UPDATE
DAY 60

So here it is in order:

Pre Chop in Tent.jpg

Amber Trichomes.jpg

Post Chop Pre Cut Up.jpg

Harvest Hang.jpg

Root Ball.jpg
Congratulations my friend @Jon Beautiful.
That pic of tricombs is amazing. Pic of month there.
By the time I harvest my bags are so full of roots I can't even poke a pen into it.
You have done a great job there. More roots more fruits.
Keep the roots happy and she will reward you.
I wish I could get a wiff of your garage I bet they smell amazing. I'd be careful with the air circulation though.
I don't let any air directly on my buds. Minimal air flow underneath so they dry nice and slow.
Bill

Phototown Update
DAY 72 VEG

Tonight when the plants go to sleep they are going to stay asleep for 36 hours. I am trying the 36 hours of darkness before going to 12/12 idea. Supposedly it "jump starts" your budding process. Not sure if it will work or exactly WHAT will happen, but everyone I talked to assures me it can't hurt the plants, so what the hell, we'll give it a shot. Tonight, right before lights out, I will post a time stamped picture of the plants before the 36 hours of darkness, so we will have that to compare to the picture I'll take the moment the lights come back on after 36 hours. Of course then they'll be on the 12/12 cycle.

My goal since the beginning was to try and keep these girls in veg for 60 days if I could. I made it to 72. 72 days of veg and now supposedly only 45 to harvest. I highly doubt it'll only take 45 days, despite the Humboldt folks insistence that they will. But somewhere around mid to late June we should have a pretty decent harvest.

SO GLAD VEG IS OVER. Now we can have some fun watching paint dry. Lmao!

Phototown Update
DAY 72 VEG

Tonight when the plants go to sleep they are going to stay asleep for 36 hours. I am trying the 36 hours of darkness before going to 12/12 idea. Supposedly it "jump starts" your budding process. Not sure if it will work or exactly WHAT will happen, but everyone I talked to assures me it can't hurt the plants, so what the hell, we'll give it a shot. Tonight, right before lights out, I will post a time stamped picture of the plants before the 36 hours of darkness, so we will have that to compare to the picture I'll take the moment the lights come back on after 36 hours. Of course then they'll be on the 12/12 cycle.

My goal since the beginning was to try and keep these girls in veg for 60 days if I could. I made it to 72. 72 days of veg and now supposedly only 45 to harvest. I highly doubt it'll only take 45 days, despite the Humboldt folks insistence that they will. But somewhere around mid to late June we should have a pretty decent harvest.

SO GLAD VEG IS OVER. Now we can have some fun watching paint dry. Lmao!
Hehe, veg takes forever! Game on!

She's a beauty upside down!
I can't even barely comprehend that I'm going to have somewhere in the neighborhood of two ounces of killer finished bud from a plant so small, and that it only took exactly 60 days. WOW. And she is the smallest yielder by far. Can't wait to see what the rest do! The Cinderella Jacks will be next. I just gave them their last feeding, and I should be able to get two or maybe three flushes in before the trichomes start to turn amber.

Hehe, veg takes forever! Game on!
Yup. I'm very curious and excited to see what they look like after the 36 hours of darkness thing. Haven't seen that in a journal yet.

I have documented it at least 3 times in my journals with microscope pictures... it really does work.
Hey Emilya - THANK YOU!!!! I've read a bunch of your stuff but haven't spent a lot of time in the journals themselves or I likely would have seen it. But now I know where to see it. Awesome. Thanks for chiming in.

Phototown Update
LAST MOMENTS OF VEG
Day 72

It's a bittersweet, but mostly sweet, thing when you flip to flower. It's kind of like leaving a friend. You've spent a couple months or whatever painfully preparing your babies for budding and you are finally at the cusp of flipping them and seeing the fruits of your labor pan out. You've agonized over them. You've worried about them. You've wondered if they were going to adjust to this or that in a good way. It's a ton of work and a ton of commitment for me. But all that work, for me, makes it so I feel like I develop a personal relationship with each plant. I speak to each of them differently based on their personalities. For real. I know that sounds a bit nutty, but that's just how it is. Each plant got individual care - a lot of it. My hands were on them a lot. I know these plants personally. And now we're here. It's cool as hell and I can't wait to see what happens. But it is a farewell moment for me.
Call me crazy or overly obsessed, I can live with that.

Anyway, the new thing for me this grow (among many new things this grow, lol) is to try this 36 hours of darkness heading into the flip to 12/12 idea. So at 2 am the lights go out. 36 hours of dark is going to put them on a cycle of ON at 2 pm, OFF at 2 am, which works fairly well for my schedule. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to do 34 or 32 hours or even 40, so it's not as if I can't change that schedule if I want. But we'll keep the lights off for 36 and not go in the tent at all. Not even a peek.

Here's the "before" picture from midnight, two hours before lights out and the beginning of the 36 hours of darkness. This is how we're going to war. After 72 days in veg. Yay. I'll post a picture in 38 hours as soon as the lights come back on and we'll see what we see.

Heh.

Last Veg Pic Day 72.jpg

AUTOTOWN UPDATE
DAY 60

So here it is in order:

Pre Chop in Tent.jpg

Amber Trichomes.jpg

Post Chop Pre Cut Up.jpg

Harvest Hang.jpg

Root Ball.jpg
That looks beautiful matey.. hope it smokes as well for you.

Super healthy jon, nice work making it to 72 days veg you will be rewarded in weight for suree
Thanks man, I hope so. Can't wait to see what this dark time does to the plants.

Back
Top Bottom