Jon's First New Digs Grow

Day 5

Plants aren’t particularly worth showcasing just yet, lol, but I did take an action today worth showing and sharing my reasoning. Part of my “process.”

Today I finished topping the pots. Meaning I filled in the edges up to the finish level. The pots now look like this:

Here’s how the two babies are, and as always, I continue to be amazed at the difference in growth rate of autos in organic soil vs coco with nutes. They simply would be significantly, noticeably larger at day five in coco with chem nutes. No comment on quality just sheer rate of growth. But they’re happy and healthy so far and the first set of leaves is beginning to emerge.

So why do it after five days? Why not top the pots as soon as you can? My thinking is this:

It takes a few days before the plant has finished whatever stretching it’ll do and establish the cotys and first set of non leaves, as you see here. Until then, I really don’t know for sure if I may have to bury a stem a half an inch or anything like that. So I fill the pot 90-95% to begin, and the let the seed sprout from a “hill” in the middle where I want the top of the soil to end up. Then, once established to the point I show today, which is usually right around day five or maybe four, depending on the strain and medium and light and such, I “finish top.” For organics and since we are talking in the few handfuls of dirt, not near a half gallon even, I simply use the FFOH, as it comes. It’s prettier to look at than my soil mix using the same FFOH as a base. :rofl: And it’ll take the EWC and such, at least the very first time, better than my perlite heavier and amended mix.

As usual, part Jon logic, sort of slightly an esthetic thing, but to me, also part of reading a plant out of the gate and responding to it as an individual thing. If that makes sense.

Have a great weekend guys. Go Phillies and send the stinking Mets home for game three down 0-2.
Love to see a nice full pot. :thumb:
Go Phillies :cheer:
Have a good Buddy ;)

Stay Safe
Bill284😎

Back
Top Bottom