Is photoperiod bullshit?

This ^^^ and photo period cannabis plants totally suck bro. J/K :laugh:

Should be growing those AUTOS that require 2:1 more lighting but for a little less time (not 1/2). Ohh some math there fur ya.

While I have seen some incredible autos just lately, the argument about lighting is basically moot.

I did the math for lighting and it was only 10% more for regulars, which totally surprised me. Certainly not 2:1.

Here it is
Autos
10 weeks at 24 hours light (7x10x24) 1680 hours of light.

Regular
8 weeks at 18hours,10 weeks at 12 hours
(7x8x18+7x10x12) =1848 hours of light!!

So 168 more hours of light for regulars. Thats just 10% more!! And when you compare the production you can get in a single run of regulars, versus two auto runs in the same time period, you still get more production with the regs with less power, and you can clone. So I wouldn't be giving up regs any time soon. Autos have their place with beginners, and I love them for outside in Canada as they will actually ripen. But if your looking for production and your plant numbers are limited by law, regulars are the bomb!

My buddy bought a couple clones and is growing them out. He is skeptical that you have to keep a 12-hour period of darkness and avoid light leaks during flower. I will forward your responses to him. Am I full of shit or are these things fairly important?
Absolutely it is Bull Shit for photos. In fact the need for any darkness is BS as well. In fact, I've been told the best way to assure you won't
have seeds it to kill the female plants. (that was nasty, but I did compliment the poor guy)
Growing male plants in 24 hour light is the best and be sure to tell your buddy that. :thumb:
How did this "12 hour darkness does not matter" grow turn out? Good? or Bad?

While I have seen some incredible autos just lately, the argument about lighting is basically moot.

I did the math for lighting and it was only 10% more for regulars, which totally surprised me. Certainly not 2:1.

Here it is
Autos
10 weeks at 24 hours light (7x10x24) 1680 hours of light.

Regular
8 weeks at 18hours,10 weeks at 12 hours
(7x8x18+7x10x12) =1848 hours of light!!

So 168 more hours of light for regulars. Thats just 10% more!! And when you compare the production you can get in a single run of regulars, versus two auto runs in the same time period, you still get more production with the regs with less power, and you can clone. So I wouldn't be giving up regs any time soon. Autos have their place with beginners, and I love them for outside in Canada as they will actually ripen. But if your looking for production and your plant numbers are limited by law, regulars are the bomb!
The ease of Autos for newbies really is great for a lot of people and even for others. I really agree with you on the Photos. Personally, all I need to see is the THC levels between the two and it seems to be a consistent 2 or 3% drop (or more) between the varieties even when the same grower is producing both seeds.

A quick update on the plants.

I purchased a dual goose neck led grow light that has 2 pendants/CREE LED chips. Advertised to replace 75 Watts Metal Halide/HPS. I suppose that means a measly 37.5 watts per plants,12.5 watts power consumption. I've been adjusting the gooseneck pendants about 12-18 inches above each plant and adjusting as they grow. While the light puts out a rather uncongenial yellow hue the leaves have remained healthy looking. Temperatures in the sunroom have been getting down to the upper 30's with temperatures outside getting into the 20's at night when clear and low 40's when cloudy. Both plants are in the same pot btw... a cheap plastic hanging basket lest over from this summers garden.

I'm pretty sure the mailman noticed my plants standing 2 feet behind me when we had lengthy chat today about how the internet has changed society. Amazon, having to work Sundays, all the vacasas and Airbnb's with rude tenants, etc. But no worries about having the plants in my home... Bless Oregon.

Both plants are displaying female traits with apparent pistils emerging. Casper OG is receiving super cropping treatment and has 3 nodes remaining after pruning. Black Raspberry is growing more natural, 7 nodes are remaining after pruning, although I'm using bamboo skewers and flexible plastic coated wire to gently direct each node for equal distribution of light.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Oh and both plants got topped. Tops placed in the same pot with rooting hormone. Black raspberry clone has taken hold. Casper OG remains healthy looking but I can tell it does not have a root system developing yet.

A quick update on the plants.

I purchased a dual goose neck led grow light that has 2 pendants/CREE LED chips. Advertised to replace 75 Watts Metal Halide/HPS. I suppose that means a measly 37.5 watts per plants,12.5 watts power consumption. I've been adjusting the gooseneck pendants about 12-18 inches above each plant and adjusting as they grow. While the light puts out a rather uncongenial yellow hue the leaves have remained healthy looking. Temperatures in the sunroom have been getting down to the upper 30's with temperatures outside getting into the 20's at night when clear and low 40's when cloudy. Both plants are in the same pot btw... a cheap plastic hanging basket lest over from this summers garden.

I'm pretty sure the mailman noticed my plants standing 2 feet behind me when we had lengthy chat today about how the internet has changed society. Amazon, having to work Sundays, all the vacasas and Airbnb's with rude tenants, etc. But no worries about having the plants in my home... Bless Oregon.

Both plants are displaying female traits with apparent pistils emerging. Casper OG is receiving super cropping treatment and has 3 nodes remaining after pruning. Black Raspberry is growing more natural, 7 nodes are remaining after pruning, although I'm using bamboo skewers and flexible plastic coated wire to gently direct each node for equal distribution of light.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Oh and both plants got topped. Tops placed in the same pot with rooting hormone. Black raspberry clone has taken hold. Casper OG remains healthy looking but I can tell it does not have a root system developing yet.
Ernst Wilhelm is a born experimenter with plants, and I think this is a worthwhile experiment. I still think light leaks etc. will be problematic but I’m looking forward to the results. There’s no greater enemy to innovation than dogmatic thinking.

Back
Top Bottom