Is photoperiod bullshit?

Thanks! My eyes are out for autoflower strains in the future, most defiinitely.
also get a 1000w hps and a 4x4 flood table then take clones from your bonzai and get a lb of bud and be super cool and probably get a yacht in a year or two just from jesus being like "heck yeah bro you got a 1k hps" and than high fiving you and than you get a yacht and a medal from the governor...
#1kcrew 4 life

Sometimes I get antsy thinking one of my girls isn't doing well, then I pop another seed, the thing recovers, and I'm left with a houseplant that won't fit in my small tent. I just leave it in its solo cup around the living room window, sometimes for weeks, until I eventually forget to water it, the dog knocks it over, or I decide I'm sick of looking after it and toss it in the compost. The point being, it is indeed nice to have a cannabis plant kicking around...for a while. You're likely going to be disappointed with any possible buds from a photo, even if you do only need a little..The high from immature buds is different and not in a good way.. I concur with the above recommendations to try an autoflower though, that could be much more productive!

Thanks! My eyes are out for autoflower strains in the future, most defiinitely.
Thanks to Ernst Wilhelm for joining and everyone who responded. One thing that I’ve suggested is finding a decent sized cardboard box and sealing up the seams with duct tape. As long as he keeps the plants small enough, which it sounds like he wants to, that should be enough to place over the plants at night and prevent leaks, right?
I realize this creates air flow issues, but my guess is the increased chance of powdery mildew may be less urgent than the problems arising from light leaks. Thoughts?

Ok when I was in first grade they taught us about how seasons are caused by the movement of the earth around the sun, and the way it tilts... They say that plants have noticed this ‘seasons’ thing too.

Some people say that plants have even existed for longer than pot growers have. Can you imagine? No? Well don’t worry about it, hardly anyone here can.

So the plant looks up at the shiny thing in the sky in the daytime, and grows, and is happy yay. At night it sleeps. Zzzzzzz.
Every day it grows, so it can be a big boy or girl and do those big boy/big girl things when it grows up.

But after a while it sees that the days are getting shorter, uh oh. Summer is going away! Oh no! Better start working on those big-plant things and grow some flowers. Then it can find another nice plant friend and make some some nice seeds so it can make some nice baby plants. ❤

If the days never get shorter then, does the plant think it should just flower anyway? No it just keeps growing taller thinking ‘Wow this is the best summer ever I’m never gonna grow up’. Weeee!

Taller and taller. But then what happens?
Uh oh! There is no more room!
Then the mad bad sad grower guy comes and has to chop a bunch of the plant off, cause it got too big.

Does that sound nice, or fun?
No.
No it doesn’t. :(

That sounds like bullshit doesn’t it kids?

Stay in school grower-guy. Learn about big words like that one in the thread title. Plants will be glad you did.
I smoked a fatty just to come back and read this to literally lmao

Seemed from the thread title that a little snark was called for ha ha.

Busy day, haven’t read the rest but it looks like the friend in question is in good hands.

cheers :passitleft:

Autoflower suggestions have been taken to heart. The good State of Oregon allows me the luxury of having two more plants and I"m currently shopping for seed.... not quite ready for a tent in my place but I like this idea.
We ended up with an autoflower in a solo cup last spring. Having nowhere to put it we grew it like a houseplant. Transplanted it into a flower pot and kept it in the sun as much as possible. Being an autoflower it flowered and in the end produced about 8 grams. Not much but around here it's $10/gm and I'm not too proud to enjoy saving $70 by accident. So seeds cost around $10 and you have a nice sun room so I'd say it's a better than nothing option. Must be an autoflower though. Have fun!

most twelve-year olds have at least glanced through a High Times magazine whilst waiting for the store clerk to turn his/her back so that the person could sneak a peak at the nudie magazines. Or has the Internet made all that completely unnecessary?

This ^^^ and photo period cannabis plants totally suck bro. J/K :laugh:

Should be growing those AUTOS that require 2:1 more lighting but for a little less time (not 1/2). Ohh some math there fur ya.

Now that we successfully entered 7th grade math class.

Please proceed to your nearest nudie magazine rack - yes its on the internet also on your phone.

Girls are nothing but trouble. Unless you treat them right.

Right and wrong for women. Advanced class.

I'm still trying to get in.

Several attempts over the years has brought me happiness and enlightenment. Must push on.....

So as I boxed up 3 dozen raspberry starts that I'll share with Grandma Weedstein, I realized that one start was a good example of what I was getting at when questioning photoperiod and the bearing of plants. One of the plants, a thornless Canby has a raspberry on it, perfectly ripe and its almost December and freezing at night. It usually bears fruit starting around the 4th of July and ends early autumn. Furthermore, a few of my yarrow plants have decided all of a sudden to shoot up fresh flowers. It's a wild native that went to seed weeks, if not months ago. Plants do strange things... I have a suspicion that the reason that these plants bore fruit and flower is due to the recent activity in the garden where I have been mulching and composting lately. Basically, they were set up for a cozy winter with unexpected mulch and compost, and they still had a bit of energy retained for the season... so they said: "fuck it, might as well pop out a quick raspberry." I dunno… just the musings of a gardener.

I really wonder if marijuana is truly so dependent on man that it needs to be in a box to survive. But then again, marijuana has held a long relationship to man which was unique for a few decades during the war on drugs.

So as I boxed up 3 dozen raspberry starts that I'll share with Grandma Weedstein, I realized that one start was a good example of what I was getting at when questioning photoperiod and the bearing of plants. One of the plants, a thornless Canby has a raspberry on it, perfectly ripe and its almost December and freezing at night. It usually bears fruit starting around the 4th of July and ends early autumn. Furthermore, a few of my yarrow plants have decided all of a sudden to shoot up fresh flowers. It's a wild native that went to seed weeks, if not months ago. Plants do strange things... I have a suspicion that the reason that these plants bore fruit and flower is due to the recent activity in the garden where I have been mulching and composting lately. Basically, they were set up for a cozy winter with unexpected mulch and compost, and they still had a bit of energy retained for the season... so they said: "fuck it, might as well pop out a quick raspberry." I dunno… just the musings of a gardener.

I really wonder if marijuana is truly so dependent on man that it needs to be in a box to survive. But then again, marijuana has held a long relationship to man which was unique for a few decades during the war on drugs.
My buddy here is noticing late-blooming flowers and fruits, which are the consequences of genetics and external environment. The photoperiod determined when those plants flowered, they just did it late, in my opinion. Every plant has a different photoperiod and needs a certain amount of uninterrupted darkness. I would argue these late-bearing plants are completely aligned with everything we know about photoperiod. It’s the equivalent of a late-blooming sativa. If these were photos of a non-autoflower in May, then that would be unusual.

Not all plants are equally sensitive to photoperiod. With our favourite weed we have photo strains, autos, and early flowering strains and there’s a little room for messing around, but photoperiod isn’t something that can just be ignored. Over the years pretty much every possible light cycle experiment/mistake/screwup has been tried by pot growers.
It was a mild fall here. My raspberries are trying to squeak in a second crop as well- not very tasty but I appreciate the effort. Some other garden plants like my Arisaema tried to send up second stalks this fall- not sure how much that will weaken the energy of their bulbs for next year.
Various plants will flower in the fall if the weather is unusually mild. They’re trying.

Not all plants are equally sensitive to photoperiod. With our favourite weed we have photo strains, autos, and early flowering strains and there’s a little room for messing around, but photoperiod isn’t something that can just be ignored. Over the years pretty much every possible light cycle experiment/mistake/screwup has been tried by pot growers.
It was a mild fall here. My raspberries are trying to squeak in a second crop as well- not very tasty but I appreciate the effort. Some other garden plants like my Arisaema tried to send up second stalks this fall- not sure how much that will weaken the energy of their bulbs for next year.
Various plants will flower in the fall if the weather is unusually mild. They’re trying.
Yea I noticed the Harle tsu I grew this year started flowering way ahead of the other strains, well before the equinox. I’m open to the idea that 12/12 isn’t a rigid concept — as long as it’s outdoors.

Some plants recognize minute shortening of day length (or lengthening of darkness) way before natural daylight/nighttime reaches 12/12.

I also grew Chem Burn which didn’t start flowering until the equinox, so clearly variety had a lot to do with it. I guess my point is that if you’re growing indoors in the middle of winter, it’s going to be impossible to match the sun cycle perfectly and therefore sticking to a strict 12/12 is less likely to cause problems.

That said, I realize I am more attracted to outdoor growing rather than trying to manipulate the plant with indoor lighting. I have grown a couple plants to fruition indoors for breeding purposes and it worked out OK for the most part but I’m not as entertained by it.

I’ve got nothing but respect for dedicated indoor guys but it really is apples and oranges. Long story short, photoperiod is a fascinating and complicated phenomenon that’s got a lot of subtlety outdoors. But if you’re indoors, you’re better off sticking to 12/12 with no light leaks, if only to avoid unnecessary problems.

My buddy here is noticing late-blooming flowers and fruits, which are the consequences of genetics and external environment. The photoperiod determined when those plants flowered, they just did it late, in my opinion. Every plant has a different photoperiod and needs a certain amount of uninterrupted darkness.

Well, yes. But many plants have evolved survival mechanisms (by mutating and then surviving disasters, and all that) which could serve in the prolonged absence of a proper environment.

Which is probably a good thing - this planet has suffered numerous large-scale disasters in its history, and the relative few organisms that survive them were what led to us and the species that exist right now - but it's not something we, as a species, should be depending on to save our collective @sses.

Only because you provided the option, I'm going to select "Crazy". No hate, all love and respect. Just saying, all that be cray cray.

:lot-o-toke:

Attachments

• 764438A4-B6BC-4EEC-B3DC-78B27CEAB194.jpeg
    764438A4-B6BC-4EEC-B3DC-78B27CEAB194.jpeg
    730 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom